OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I love Whiskeys. Tried a bunch.

My go-to bottles (inexpensive) at the moment are Jim Bean and Grant's. I sometimes go for Jack Daniel's, but less and less. I need a chaser with it.

In the mid range of prices I love Chivas Regal, the 12 years is fine but the 18 years is where it's at.

Was gifted a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue, worth 230$ at the time (Duty free). Dissappoiting. Then again I really dislike JW red and black, so it was to be expected.

Interesting thoughts there. I used to be a Scotch collector before "graduating" to bourbon.

I have JB all the time at my bar. Mostly in Old Fashioned, but sometimes straight-up too. It's nothing special, but alright for the price. Never tried Grant's.

I very much dislike JD. I find it to be way too sweet, which is ironic because the very reason I stopped drinking Scotch was because I didn't like how smokey it is generally. I much prefer the sweetness that corn gives to bourbon/american whiskey, but JD overdoes it IMO.

Chivas Regal is very nice, my step-dad drinks that exclusively. I'd still rather bourbon, but have nothing bad to say about Chivas.

I've tasted Johnny Walker Blue many many times, it used to be my go-to for special occasions. I love it, and find it to be the best blended whiskey I've ever tried.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Yeah, to me, Smoke and Bourbon don't go hand-in-hand, at all. If I want smokey, I go Islay.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We don't have a liquor thread but since it's a natural ally of food, thought it would be appropriate to reprise a discussion from last night's GDT about hard liquor, hopefully inviting more comments:

Chopin is available in Canada, it's the best vodka I've ever drank in my life. My dad hates vodka period, I made him taste it straight and he loved it! I prefer the potato base. Belvedere, Grey Goose are very nice options too. Stay away from Smirnoff, it's the equivalent to Jose Cuervo lol

Cruzan is an excellent rum. It's from St Croix I think, but the single malt one is absolutely amazing. You wanna drink it like cool aid it's so good. Pillar is also good, nice looking bottle too. Plantation is very good, but go with the expensive bottle (70$), you won't regret. No need for mix with these rums. I keep my mix for the Bacardi and Captain Morgan when we're hosting big parties.

As for Gin, I love the Tanqueray 10......with Soda water and lime....lots of it! I drink my vodkas like this too

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
For me, nothing beats Lagavulin

When I drink scotch, I invariably prefer single malts. I have found though, that a few are over the top with the smoke and or the peat and iodine (medicinal) flavors. Can't even call them nuances when they're beating up on your palate.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

For a second there, I thought you wrote Valium :laugh:

When I drink scotch, I invariably prefer single malts. I have found though, that a few are over the top with the smoke and or the peat and iodine (medicinal) flavors. Can't even call them nuances when they're beating up on your palate.

Always trust a recommendation on liquor from a guy who's name is Groovejuice :laugh:

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

I must admit that the moment where an Islay goes from peatsmokey to medicinal is where I completely drop out.
Even if I absolutely love Islays otherwise.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Stay away from Smirnoff, it's the equivalent to Jose Cuervo lol

Isn't it distilled in St ****ing Jérôme?

I have to admit the only reason why I purchase vodka is for sanitizing.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

Lagavulin is good. I also like Glenfarclas, which is good too.

I've found there are some good blended scotches as well. I got my dad a bottle of Islay Mist 12 which is a nice smokey blended scotch. 60$ at the SAQ.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
If I was into distillation (something I'm not -- it's illegal actually) I'd really try to come up with a Grain-based liquor with a bit of Mesquite-smoked Malt in the grainbill. Really small amount though -- that's really potent stuff.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
For the bloody scalpels in your mob ER no doubt :)

Actually, it's for bottlecaps and blended fruits (when I don't feel like going through the hassle of pasteurizing them).

1 litre, 22 bucks. Not sure I want to do anything with that Vodka OTHER than sanitizing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My every day, "go-to" labels are "Knob Creek" & "Bulleit". I either drink bourbon straight-up or make "Old Fashioned" cocktails.

As someone else mentioned "Woodford Reserve" is good and is a notch above the two brands I mentioned earlier. Very good. I also own a limited edition 2016 Kentucky Derby bottle in my bar.

Lots of great stuff in your link, but I can tell you which one I don't like - Buffalo Trace. It's way too smokey for me, if I wanted that I'd go Scotch. I also own a bottle of Stagg that's 72% alc/vol. Haven't opened it yet.

I import rare bottles from the US. SAQ has a very limited selection unfortunately.

The best bourbon is distilled in either Kentucky or Tennessee IMO.

Thanks for the feedback. Have you checked the LCBO? SAQ is not always a good source.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Chopin is available in Canada, it's the best vodka I've ever drank in my life. My dad hates vodka period, I made him taste it straight and he loved it! I prefer the potato base. Belvedere, Grey Goose are very nice options too. Stay away from Smirnoff, it's the equivalent to Jose Cuervo lol

Cruzan is an excellent rum. It's from St Croix I think, but the single malt one is absolutely amazing. You wanna drink it like cool aid it's so good. Pillar is also good, nice looking bottle too. Plantation is very good, but go with the expensive bottle (70$), you won't regret. No need for mix with these rums. I keep my mix for the Bacardi and Captain Morgan when we're hosting big parties.

As for Gin, I love the Tanqueray 10......with Soda water and lime....lots of it! I drink my vodkas like this too

Thanks for this. I'll keep Chopin on my radar.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

I certainly understand that it's not for everyone. Though I will say that their Distiller's edition is much more subtle than the 16 year old. Haven't tried any of their other releases.

Lagavulin is good. I also like Glenfarclas, which is good too.

I've found there are some good blended scotches as well. I got my dad a bottle of Islay Mist 12 which is a nice smokey blended scotch. 60$ at the SAQ.

Glenfarclas is excellent, I like their 15. They have a great distillery tour

Aberlour is another interesting operation in that area, they have a cask strength called a'bunadh which is also a staple for me

Last edited:

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Thanks for this. I'll keep Chopin on my radar.

I'll second the Chopin referral. It's very smooth and has subtle nuances while keeping the necessary 'burn'.

Russians drink vodka chilled and almost always have their version of tapas (zakuski) while drinking it. Lots of pickles of all sorts, smoked fish, caviar, potato salad, dark bread... The idea is to eat a little after each shot. There is a host, whose determination is not always simple to understand, who pours all the shots for the evening. He does the timing and portioning. Never, ever pour a single shot for yourself. It's a very social exercise and the rules are important.

Getting back to vodkas, there are MOR varieties that are just fine to drink straight or mixed. Stolichnaya, Finlandia, Ketel One, even Absolut in a pinch are decent choices.

Theoretically, since vodkas aren't aged as we understand that to mean, and are a blend of pure distilled alcohol and water (typically 40-60), there shouldn't be a noticeable difference in flavor or smoothness. Turns out there is.

The grain, fruit or vegetable used to produce the ethanol all have their own nuances. Vodkas are not without differences in colour, flavour and aroma, despite the belief that they are identical save smoothness. The number of distillations is important (some producers even using 5), as well as the quality of the water. The burn absolutely must be there, and the apparent viscosity will vary between brands even when chilled to identical temperatures.

Chopin, which is made in Poland, produces 3 varieties, rye, wheat and potato. The latter is their marquee product. It's worth searching out.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Haven't many different scotchs, but i did tend to prefer single malts. I remember thinking Glenlivet and Glenfiddich were alright.

I do tend to prefer blended Bourbon, though.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Haven't many different scotchs, but i did tend to prefer single malts. I remember thinking Glenlivet and Glenfiddich were alright.

I do tend to prefer blended Bourbon, though.

The single malts you mentioned are both very accessible in terms of their flavour profiles (at least the ones I've tasted). They're not too boisterous or overpowering. Good choices for sure, if you value smoothness and not being overly challenged by unexpected flavour components.

Last edited:

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I had a friend who used to bartend at Karma and have heard some wild stories about that restaurant :laugh:

I have two friends who used to work there one of whom used to bartend there too and both told me crazy stories as well. I wonder if it's the same person LOL

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Mezcal is nice :)

I am looking into importing a few cases of Tepeztate right now. Am also a fan of Del Maguey, they make some really nice stuff

if you are buying full cases yof mezcal you should definitely talk to my bro in law and check out the brands he carries. You wil probably really enjoy his and it would save you the cost and hassle of importing yours through the SAQ (which is a pain).

Off the top of my head he carries El Tinieblo Mexcal. 3 varieties at different prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad