OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I have a whole tablet in my pantry with only spices, vinegars and oils.

My vinegar budget is the thing that really is through the roof. You would never see me use balsamic vinegar from a bottle that cost less thank 25$-30$ :laugh: and I don't have any bottle that costs less than 15$ (except for those I use like a lot outside of dressings, such as white wine vinegar and rice vinegar which I use a lot to deglaze since I don't drink or cook with alcohol)

I'm the opposite when it comes to vinegar. Outside of rice wine vinegar I barely use it, since it's found scarcely in the type of cuisines I am fond of.

But spices...yes, I've got everything there is under the sun, including things like fennel pollen, asafetida and some others.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I gain a lot of weight when I go eating to an All you can eat sushi.

Lifted this from another thread. All you can eat sushi? Isn't there a trade-off in terms of quality?

Also, more Indian restaurants and Indian recipes/sites, would be much appreciated. We're trying to introduce one staple Indian supper a week at our home -- I like lamb or chicken masala but open to suggestions.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lifted this from another thread. All you can eat sushi? Isn't there a trade-off in terms of quality?

Also, more Indian restaurants and Indian recipes/sites, would be much appreciated. We're trying to introduce one staple Indian supper a week at our home -- I like lamb or chicken masala but open to suggestions.

Compared to what? Obviously its not the same as Park or something, but as far as most other restaurant you pretty much get the same things as other restaurants, everywhere.

30$ is still a good price, the profit comes from beer and liquors.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Compared to what? Obviously its not the same as Park or something, but as far as most other restaurant you pretty much get the same things as other restaurants, everywhere.

30$ is still a good price, the profit comes from beer and liquors.

I never liked sushi until I went to Park. All I had ever tried was the all you can eat stuff. My gf wanted me to try the good stuff, so we went to Park for lunch almost a year ago to the day (and saw PK Subban at the table next to us eating alone), and I was blown away.

It's certainly not cheap, but it's very, very good.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
I never liked sushi until I went to Park. All I had ever tried was the all you can eat stuff. My gf wanted me to try the good stuff, so we went to Park for lunch almost a year ago to the day (and saw PK Subban at the table next to us eating alone), and I was blown away.

How much did you end up spending (and were you full)? And how much do you figure it would cost for supper?

Wife's bday is coming up so I'm looking for ideas (and we're big sushi fans)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Obviously it is. Its not my type of cuisine when it comes to sushi, i prefer it traditional, but yeah, hes pretty fantastic.

Im probably going to Hawaii in september, with Poké in mind.

Not the best time for fishing there, but still im poor.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How much did you end up spending (and were you full)? And how much do you figure it would cost for supper?

Park is nice, did you try Kyo or Zenya? A lot of the hype around Anthony Park comes from his media hype and Subban.

Im not a sushi chef and i wont ever claim to be, well, maybe one day I might, and i never actually eaten at a real sushi restaurant, so i dont know about them.

Japan is a go to for me, i need to know what is good sushi.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Park is nice, did you try Kyo or Zenya? A lot of the hype around Anthony Park comes from his media hype and Subban.

Im not a sushi chef and i wont ever claim to be, well, maybe one day I might, and i never actually eaten at a real sushi restaurant, so i dont know about them.

Japan is a go to for me, i need to know what is good sushi.

I haven't had the chance to try any of the high-end places so no I never tried them

But if enough people vouch for a particular place I'll most likely end up there (that's usually how I roll)

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

For lunch, it cost about $75 each, I think. We shared an appetizer, each of us had our own main, and we shared a dessert. We also had two cocktails each (or I had two, and she had one and a coffee, I think).

I went for supper last month for my birthday, and got the Omakase, which I believe was 6 or 7 courses. I believe that cost me about $130-$150 including a cocktail. It was apparently $15 more than usual since they had bluefin tuna available which they normally do not have. (I think it was that at least). There was also an option for the Omakase to be a little cheaper that had less courses in it.

Overall, I wasn't super full as If I had just eaten two Big Macs, and a large fry, but I definitely wasn't hungry.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Obviously it is. Its not my type of cuisine when it comes to sushi, i prefer it traditional, but yeah, hes pretty fantastic.

Im probably going to Hawaii in september, with Poké in mind.

Not the best time for fishing there, but still im poor.

Nice. That would be great, I am sure. I first heard of Poké on an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives believe it or not. It looked so good. I tried some at Antonio Park's new place (Kempai Garden, I think?) and I really liked it. I'm sure it'd be even better getting it from a good place in Hawaii.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
I went for supper last month for my birthday, and got the Omakase, which I believe was 6 or 7 courses. I believe that cost me about $130-$150 including a cocktail. It was apparently $15 more than usual since they had bluefin tuna available which they normally do not have. (I think it was that at least). There was also an option for the Omakase to be a little cheaper that had less courses in it.

Overall, I wasn't super full as If I had just eaten two Big Macs, and a large fry, but I definitely wasn't hungry.

Was that 130-150 just for you, or was it with your significant other?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nice. That would be great, I am sure. I first heard of Poké on an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives believe it or not. It looked so good. I tried some at Antonio Park's new place (Kempai Garden, I think?) and I really liked it. I'm sure it'd be even better getting it from a good place in Hawaii.

For all the jokes about Guy Fiori, DDD is still a good show to find hidden and not so hidden gems.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
For all the jokes about Guy Fiori, DDD is still a good show to find hidden and not so hidden gems.

For sure. Whenever I travel to the States, I try to find a Food Network show to check out the lesser known places. DDD has a bunch of cool places.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

Still finalizing my Ginger Chicken Curry and Peanut Butter Chicken Curry (and so long for traditionnal stuff). I mean, they're good, just not at ease sharing the thing yet as it could obviously be better.

Hell I'm still not sure whether I'm turning the Peanut Butter one into something else.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I was just referencing the lower standard one finds in all-you-can-eat places, as a general rule.

If there is a quality all-you-can-eat sushi place, I wouldn't know where to find it.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I was just referencing the lower standard one finds in all-you-can-eat places, as a general rule.

If there is a quality all-you-can-eat sushi place, I wouldn't know where to find it.

AYCE, you pretty much look for Decent.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

The thing is, its pretty hard to pull of sashimis or others with cheap fish. Youre gonna get frozen food no matter where you go, where just too far off pacific salmon or tuna to get it fresh. You should be able to recognize sushi grade fishes with a little bit of self education.

Dont eat cod, haddock and hake or any fresh water fish as there a lot of chances of parasites in them. But anyway, they shouldnt serve this... I believe.

Salmon belly is salmon belly, youre not gonna get the super buttery taste of some, but still...

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
The thing is, its pretty hard to pull of sashimis or others with cheap fish. Youre gonna get frozen food no matter where you go, where just too far off pacific salmon or tuna to get it fresh. You should be able to recognize sushi grade fishes with a little bit of self education.

Dont eat cod, haddock and hake or any fresh water fish as there a lot of chances of parasites in them. But anyway, they shouldnt serve this... I believe.

Salmon belly is salmon belly, youre not gonna get the super buttery taste of some, but still...

Sushi à 'barbotte.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

Salmon is also parasitic by the way. Of course, most salmon one can get their hands on over here is farmed, so the risk is minuscule.

As far as you can get a grade one fish (flash frozen) it doesn't matter whether it's cod, haddock or hake. You can eat it raw (although why would you, it's very bland).

The real issue is that it's near impossible to get sushi grade fish outside of tuna and salmon here in Montreal.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Salmon is also parasitic by the way. Of course, most salmon one can get their hands on over here is farmed, so the risk is minuscule.

As far as you can get a grade one fish (flash frozen) it doesn't matter whether it's cod, haddock or hake. You can eat it raw (although why would you, it's very bland).

The real issue is that it's near impossible to get sushi grade fish outside of tuna and salmon here in Montreal.

Even farmed can have parasites, its just that the parasites are easily removed.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

Have you tried palak paneer? Its good whether you eat it with rice, naan or roti.

Pakoras are also very good. I like them better than samosas.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Even farmed can have parasites, its just that the parasites are easily removed.

It doesn't really matter whether it's wild or farmed fish - as far as it's been flash-frozen you're safe to eat it raw.

The only concern any inspectors have is referred to as the parasite destruction guarantee, which is accomplished by ‘freezing and storing seafood at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours’ which is sufficient to kill parasites.

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-sashimi-info/sushi-grade-fish/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad