OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You wanna eat healthy, fish and hunt for your own food.

I have trout, pickerel and pike in my freezer, all deboned and about 150lbs of moose meat.

I have five 4x8x18inches raised garden beds in my back yard, grow my own vegetables and herbs

Now that's self sustainable!

Hey jaffy have you ever had moose meat bottled/preserved? That right there is powerful. My dad gives me a case of it every year, it is a favourite of mine.:)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Hey jaffy have you ever had moose meat bottled/preserved? That right there is powerful. My dad gives me a case of it every year, it is a favourite of mine.:)

No, it's all frozen.

Most of our meat is cut in hamburg, roast (mainly 4 to 5lbs) and steaks. With the hamburg, we'll make sausages (got a butcher here in Ottawa on Bank St. that makes the greatest sausages)

The meat is great and extra lean. I've been hunting moose since 88', I'm a northern Ontario boy so it's in my blood :)

Gotta love meat from an animal that only eats swamp vegetation, lilipads, willow and alder leaves and bark :laugh:

With moose meat, you can't over cook the steaks or they become pretty tough, i love mine with sea salt.

If you have a roast, slice it in 1/2 inch strips and fry them really quickly. In a big roasting pot, add two cartons of beef broth, but keep about 1/4 of one on the side. Get yourself a nice gravy, I use Knorr hunters mix, two of them. Bring the rest of that broth to a boil in a frying pan and mix in the gravy and stir till it's nice and thick.

Then you can add your gravy and the sliced meat in the cooking vessel. I usually add an entire garlic in there also, pealed and sliced of course.

Make sure you have the oven heated to 300 degrees, then stick it in there for 4 and a 1/2 hrs. If the meat is not coming apart, stick it in there again for :30min stints.

Of course you can add potatoes in there too, either way, you'll love this meal, it's my favourite way to cook moose

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
No, it's all frozen.

Most of our meat is cut in hamburg, roast (mainly 4 to 5lbs) and steaks. With the hamburg, we'll make sausages (got a butcher here in Ottawa on Bank St. that makes the greatest sausages)

The meat is great and extra lean. I've been hunting moose since 88', I'm a northern Ontario boy so it's in my blood :)

Gotta love meat from an animal that only eats swamp vegetation, lilipads, willow and alder leaves and bark :laugh:

With moose meat, you can't over cook the steaks or they become pretty tough, i love mine with sea salt.

If you have a roast, slice it in 1/2 inch strips and fry them really quickly. In a big roasting pot, add two cartons of beef broth, but keep about 1/4 of one on the side. Get yourself a nice gravy, I use Knorr hunters mix, two of them. Bring the rest of that broth to a boil in a frying pan and mix in the gravy and stir till it's nice and thick.

Then you can add your gravy and the sliced meat in the cooking vessel. I usually add an entire garlic in there also, pealed and sliced of course.

Make sure you have the oven heated to 300 degrees, then stick it in there for 4 and a 1/2 hrs. If the meat is not coming apart, stick it in there again for :30min stints.

Of course you can add potatoes in there too, either way, you'll love this meal, it's my favourite way to cook moose

Thanks for this, I actually have two roasts in my freezer and I might just give this a try. If I am understanding you correctly, you fry the moose separately at first and then put in the oven and cook it for 4.5 hours? I have always just cooked it in the oven with onions added and maybe some garlic and I have also used a meat/marinade injector to keep the roast from drying and sauerkraut is also a great addition with moose, I cut usually the center of the roast and fill it with the sauerkraut and it actually tenderises the meat. I will try your method though, been eating moose all my life and I am open to any new ideas on cooking it.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Thanks for this, I actually have two roasts in my freezer and I might just give this a try. If I am understanding you correctly, you fry the moose separately at first and then put in the oven and cook it for 4.5 hours? I have always just cooked it in the oven with onions added and maybe some garlic and I have also used a meat/marinade injector to keep the roast from drying and sauerkraut is also a great addition with moose, I cut usually the center of the roast and fill it with the sauerkraut and it actually tenderises the meat. I will try your method though, been eating moose all my life and I am open to any new ideas on cooking it.

Yes, that's it, it's a quick fry on each side. I swear, after eating your roast like this, it'll be your favourite. The meat is literally coming apart.

Also with the gravy, if it's not gravy enough, add a third package of the hunters mix or remove the lid to let the moisture out, it'll help with the thickening.

I've been hunting moose since I was 14, it's the best meat and probably the healthiest. Glad a fellow poster can appreciate that too.

Sauerkraut eh???.......I'm gonna try that next time, love sauerkraut

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yes, that's it, it's a quick fry on each side. I swear, after eating your roast like this, it'll be your favourite. The meat is literally coming apart.

Also with the gravy, if it's not gravy enough, add a third package of the hunters mix or remove the lid to let the moisture out, it'll help with the thickening.

I've been hunting moose since I was 14, it's the best meat and probably the healthiest. Glad a fellow poster can appreciate that too.

Sauerkraut eh???.......I'm gonna try that next time, love sauerkraut

It seems to be a great tenderizer, I have used it on other meats and it works with moose as well. I hunted with my dad right through my teens but I have gotten away from it over the years but I always have access to moose meat during the fall and winter, it is as organic as you can get and I still enjoy it. Even though I do not grow my own veggies I am able to visit my local farmers market all summer and fall and get some really nice fruit and vegetables and spices and you name it as it has 30-40 sellers that can sell you anything from a pure wool sweater to meals to go and we love it. Cheers.

Ursus the White

Formerly Hogfather
Mar 27, 2014
Alberta
I don't understand why human meat is not more popular. It literally contains what you need in all the right proportions.

Going the Soylent Green route?
As for what it tastes like....depends on the person.:D:naughty:

The hunting, fishing, fresh poultry and eggs from the, large garden, reeling, canning...throw in small apple orchard and you have the childhood i so readily miss. Sighhhhhhhhh.:cry:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It seems to be a great tenderizer, I have used it on other meats and it works with moose as well. I hunted with my dad right through my teens but I have gotten away from it over the years but I always have access to moose meat during the fall and winter, it is as organic as you can get and I still enjoy it. Even though I do not grow my own veggies I am able to visit my local farmers market all summer and fall and get some really nice fruit and vegetables and spices and you name it as it has 30-40 sellers that can sell you anything from a pure wool sweater to meals to go and we love it. Cheers.

Good for you man......you'll find me in the farmers markets too until my vegetables are ready for the reaping, much prefer to support the local guy, even if it's sometimes a little more expensive.

And make sure you tell your dad to keep hunting on those rainy days, they're the best, but I'm sure he already knows this :laugh:

Bon appétit

Now I went and pulled out a few hamburg packs to make moose meatballs tomorrow :laugh:
Gotta mix em with pork though

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I eat vegan 3-4 days a week for no reason besides that it tastes delicious

If anyone has links of vegan meals to try, please share.

Also, looking for a good site for Indian recipes, whether vegan or not.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't understand why human meat is not more popular. It literally contains what you need in all the right proportions.

agree. need wine for a recipe ? no problem, just pick up a drunk and keep the bottle for some other time.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I'll never be vegan.
I'll never come close to be vegan.
I'll never even think of being vegan.

But I'm really happy to see everyone "respect" vegans in this thread. Because the only thing more annyoing than a miliant vegan is a vegan troll. Or... someone who trolls vegans.

Reactions: CalgarySnow

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'll never be vegan.

But I'm really happy to see everyone "respect" vegans in this thread. Because the only thing more annyoing than a miliant vegan is a vegan troll. Or... someone who trolls vegans.

I never really understand why what I eat or don't eat is anyone's business one way or the other.

Really I don't give a **** what you eat so why would you care about my eating habits?

If you'd like to hear about my struggles with IBS and GERD and how it's been helped by a vegan diet, sure... But it isn't pleasant! Trust me!

When people get on my case about eating vegan during the week I simply explain that having less meat is better than the 10 straight years of diarrhea I had otherwise.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I never really understand why what I eat or don't eat is anyone's business one way or the other.

Really I don't give a **** what you eat so why would you care about my eating habits?

If you'd like to hear about my struggles with IBS and GERD and how it's been helped by a vegan diet, sure... But it isn't pleasant! Trust me!

When people get on my case about eating vegan during the week I simply explain that having less meat is better than the 10 straight years of diarrhea I had otherwise.

Much respect here, I suffer with ulcerative colitis and GERD as well and there are many things that I cannot eat hence my desire to eat as much organic meats and vegetables as I can, I need to do more and I applaud you for taking control of your health because dealing with both issues is a struggle, I completely understand.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Someone give me some ideas for a quick meal to make for supper tonight. I'll be eating alone since my girlfriend won't be home until around 9:30, but if it's something that will sit well so that she could eat a bit when she gets home then all the best.

Just for fun, let's make it a vegan meal since that's what we're talking about!

edit: I'll say that no types of foods are off limits, but I don't feel like going to five different grocery stores. Let's limit it to things available at your generic crappy downtown grocery store.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I'll never be vegan.

I agree. To each their own. I will never be a vegan. However, I do like reading about vegan recipes. It's given me some great ideas for some really tasty side dishes.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

I feel for you. My sister-in-law has Crohn's disease. It's a lifelong struggle and her body dictates what she can and cannot eat.

Good luck to you!!:)

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Agreed. A lot of people feel better when they can tell others how they should lead their lives. I don't even care about what these people say, but I certainly don't understand why you would waste so much time telling others what to do. :loony:

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
....And this thread just reminds me how happy and lucky I am to not have any health issues that have an effect on my nutrition, other than the odd allergy, which isn't even that serious. No gluten intolerance (THAT would make me particularily unhappy) or anything more serious like Crohn's Disease.

I do have a very pronounced dislike of some foods (cabbage.... I can't stand that), and some issues processing others (onion). But the solution is just very simple (don't eat cabbage, switch onions with garlic whenever possible, and so on)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Just looked at the site and it looks really promising. Thanks for the suggestion.

I happened to hear a segment on 98.5FM yesterday morning where they mentioned an authoritative book about how nutrition can change your life:

How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease by Michael Greger

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25663961-how-not-to-die

Anyone familiar with the book?

Her cookbooks are award winning and everything in there is really really good.

As for nutrition changing your life, yes that much is obvious. But I don't buy that some foods are magically good for you and others are toxic. Everything must be done in moderation, EVERYTHING. And everyone is different and things that work for me may not work for others.

There's obviously some stuff that is better for you but still, it's about moderation.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
...And even if I'm not vegan, I'll add my word to what SouthernHab said : I'm really interested in vegan recipes for side-dish purposes.

Beer is considered food in Russia, can we talk about beer in this thread?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Much respect here, I suffer with ulcerative colitis and GERD as well and there are many things that I cannot eat hence my desire to eat as much organic meats and vegetables as I can, I need to do more and I applaud you for taking control of your health because dealing with both issues is a struggle, I completely understand.

Something that has helped my GERD quite a bit is taking probiotics daily. You can get Bio-K at the pharmacy, just take it in the morning 30 minutes after breakfast. It's still early to say one way or another but I have not had any heartburn or symptoms since I started taking them, and I used to wake up every morning because of killer heartburn. As in, heartburn would be the reason I'd wake up every day.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As for nutrition changing your life, yes that much is obvious. But I don't buy that some foods are magically good for you and others are toxic. Everything must be done in moderation, EVERYTHING. And everyone is different and things that work for me may not work for others.

There's obviously some stuff that is better for you but still, it's about moderation.

No question, nutrition impacting on one's life is obvious. I only mentioned the book for what it apparently represents right now in terms of how those in the field value it, according to the segment I heard yesterday. Was just looking to see if anyone had heard of it before.

Something that has helped my GERD quite a bit is taking probiotics daily. You can get Bio-K at the pharmacy, just take it in the morning 30 minutes after breakfast. It's still early to say one way or another but I have not had any heartburn or symptoms since I started taking them, and I used to wake up every morning because of killer heartburn. As in, heartburn would be the reason I'd wake up every day.

Glad to read that you found something to help your health. Hope it continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad