OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
The thing is, its pretty hard to pull of sashimis or others with cheap fish. Youre gonna get frozen food no matter where you go, where just too far off pacific salmon or tuna to get it fresh. You should be able to recognize sushi grade fishes with a little bit of self education.

Dont eat cod, haddock and hake or any fresh water fish as there a lot of chances of parasites in them. But anyway, they shouldnt serve this... I believe.

Salmon belly is salmon belly, youre not gonna get the super buttery taste of some, but still...

Coincidentally enough, I asked my dad who is a chef, earlier this week why you don't see tartars using white fish and he said that basically.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Have you tried palak paneer? Its good whether you eat it with rice, naan or roti.

Pakoras are also very good. I like them better than samosas.

Never tried these. I take it these are on your average Indian restaurant's menu?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Coincidentally enough, I asked my dad who is a chef, earlier this week why you don't see tartars using white fish and he said that basically.

I've had cod sashimi with Shirako (its male sperm sacs) in Japan. It's not as common as your tuna/salmon, but that's because it doesn't taste nearly as good.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Never tried these. I take it these are on your average Indian restaurant's menu?

Maison India in NDG serves surprisingly good pakoras (I've only tried the vegetable version). The rest of their menu (from what I have personally tried) isn't as good unfortunately.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Do you live in MTL? How would you rate Japans sushi compared to our NA places?

Yes, I live in Montreal, but I travel a lot for work (mostly SE Asia and the UK).

Honestly, I can't say anymore. I've been vegan for a while and last time I visited Japan was 7 years ago.

At the time I felt two things: sushi rice in Japan was head and shoulders above that available in Montreal (texture-wise), and, second, their seafood selection for sushi/sashimi was much more varied than here.

There was also another factor and that was the technique of cutting up seafood. In Japan it was much more pronounced at the time.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Booze reviews!!!!

We don't have a liquor thread but since it's a natural ally of food, thought it would be appropriate to reprise a discussion from last night's GDT about hard liquor, hopefully inviting more comments:

Love tequila too. It's good with a chaser called sangrita. Not to be confused with the girlie sangria. Rented a house in Mexico several times. But vodka is my go-to.

By the way, the best tequila I found is Chinaco Reposado Tequila. Well aged and drinks like a fine cognac. Muy bueno, muy delicioso!

It's a matter of preference I guess. The best vodkas are mostly flavorless. It's the quality of smoothness that's appealing. Plus I work out a lot and find in responsible doses there's no hangover and it's relatively low in calories.

I used to drink beer or wine when watching, but very infrequently these days.

Its always worth spending a little more for liquor. I am not a vodka fan, i prefer rum, but I will never buy a bottle that's around 30$. I will pay the 70+$ for what will be something very enjoyable.

I'm married to a Mexican.
My brother in law imports artisinal spirits : vodka, gin etc...
From Mexico he imports mezcal, tequila and sotol.

Obviously it was sarcasm.
Cuervo is as almost as bad as Tequila Bang Bang.
Nobody who knows anything about tequila praises Cuervo!

I love Herradura and Cazadores.
Great quality for the price.

So happy they are now widely available in Canada!
I used to have to bring back so many bottles with me from Mexico!

But if you want to splurge, check out the bottles that costs over $100 at the SAQ.
Those are the ones my cunado imports to Canada.
So smooth and delicious!

Not sure if I can plug the brands here so I will leave it at that!
PM me if you want more info

Normally I would agree with you but there are some rums and tequilas at $30 that are amazing.

The 7 year old Flor de Cana from Nicaragua is unreal. It costs about $33.
Far superior to the 12 year old or 18 year old Flor De Cana.

Cazadores tequila (reposada or anejo) is about $35 now. Used to cost $80 and was really hard to find.

If we're talking about drinking it straight, give me cognac, brandy, scotch, whiskey, rum, even tequila before vodka... And I'm somewhat Russian. :laugh:

But as you said it's all about preferences!

Sangrita tastes kind of like a bloody caesar.

It is usually served thusly :
You get a tall shot of tequila and a tall shot of sangrita.
You alternate sipping both of them.

Tequila is meant to be sipped like a single malt scotch, not taken as a shot.
And anyone who bites into a lemon after shooting it is clearly a gringo!

That's an advantage with vodka. None of them, even the very best one's require aging. Very high quality ones can be had for $30.

Hell no cuervo... but for the liquor eanthusiast i like the "patron" quite a bit... not a huge fan of tequila to start with but... for those who don't like vodka... belvedere is really good and somewhat fruity... can't go wrong with double cross, if you think vodka tastes like rubbing alcohol, think again... same for people who think they don't like gin (although if you don't like juniper/"piney" flavours it's prolly not for you) there's some really good stuff out there....

My all time fav rhum is Zacapa from Guatemala.
It is finally available in Canada but costs between $120-$170.
So I usually wait for a trip to the carribean to buy a bottle.

As for Vodka, my all time fav is Uluvka from Poland.
Costs about $80.

And the bottle is gorgeous!
Unique shape!

Anyways, I assume I cant plug my bro in law's products here but PM me and I will send you a list of the ones he imports. Keep an eye out for them. Some of the ones he imports from the USA are not only delicious but arent crazy expensive

Belvedere is great.
Has that amazing aftertaste.

Another tequila tip :
it gives you energy.
So its great to start the night with or to have when you are feeling tired.

But for he after party it's not the best choice.
Start drinking it at 5am and you wake up still hammered.
It lasts a really long time

I have a bottle of Zacapa at home. Its delicious. I also enjoy El Dorado special reserved 15 and Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. Both are around 60$.

Sangrita is for cheaper varieties when doing shots in bars. I prefer high quality sipping Tequila as I said in an earlier post. Never liked the lime chew myself, but a well constructed marguerita is nice alfresco on a hot afternoon.

Jose Cuervo is the equivalent of drinking diesel.....try a nice Don Julio, you'll never go back

A nice vodka is a Chopin (potato).....had some in Poland a few years back.....nothing tops it

Summing up on the foregoing:

Tequilas: stay away from Cuervo. Groove recommends Chinaco Reposado (no price point discussed). Guapo recommends Herradura and Cazadores, great quality for the price. Says Cazadores is about $35 now, cheaper than it used to be. Pacman likes Patron.

Rums: Guapo recommends the 7 year Flor de Cana from Nicaragua, better than the more aged versions of this variety. His all time favorite is Zacapa from Guatemala, is expensive, $120-$170, best to buy when traveling. Mario likes El Dorado special reserved 15 and Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. Both are around 60$.

Vodkas: Pacman likes Belvedere and Double Cross and says Belvedere is somewhat fruity. Guapo too likes Belvedere. Jaffy recommends Chopin, tried it in Poland, doesn't say if it's available in Canada.

So, are there any drinks that you'll take with a mixer? For instance, I enjoy a Tanqueray gin with a mixer but it has to be quality. For those drinks where I use a mixer, this is the one I'll buy: http://www.fever-tree.com/

Any further recommendations? We don't have suggestions re cognac, brandy, scotch, whiskey, gins, etc. I take it you mostly prefer without mixers? Do you add ice or is that a no-no?

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Liquor disclaimer: I rarely go for high end bottles that cost close to 100$+

Rum my favorite is Mount-Gay Eclipse from Barbados. If I want a cheaper more available product I'll usually go with Appleton or Captain Morgan Black if I'm looking for something cheaper. Unfortunately I can't find the Mount-Gay in Quebec anymore :(

Gin my favorite is Hendricks. For a cheaper option I'll go with Tanqueray.

I don't really drink vodka often but if I do usually I'll grab some Grey Goose. Can't stand Smirnoff.

For beer which I rarely drink now, I prefer Lager's. Heineken in a can would probably be my go-to if I was still drinking beer.

I'd like to try some rum from Venezuela and other places though, have heard good things.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bourbon or bust for me.

Brands you prefer?

When I searched bourbons years ago, I read that Sazerac made some of the finest.

Which of these do you fancy: http://www.bourbonwhiskey.com/great-bourbons

Are there any prime ones that you can get at the SAQ or LCBO or do you end up ordering online? If I'm not mistaken, the best bourbon makers are on the east coast of the US -- could try and pick one up on my next trip to the US.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Brands you prefer?

When I searched bourbons years ago, I read that Sazerac made some of the finest.

Are there any prime ones that you can get at the SAQ or LCBO or do you end up ordering online? If I'm not mistaken, the best bourbon makers are on the east coast of the US -- could try and pick one up on my next trip to the US.

For "widely" available and reasonably priced : Woodford Reserve.

Of couse there are better ones, but amongst the "big ones" available year long at every decent SAQ, Woodford is my go-to.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
The booze thread basically started with everything I DON'T drink.

For Gin, Piger Henricus. Amongst "mainstream" ones, Bombay Sapphire.

...But seriously, I have too much Gin home. 3 bottles, and I'd probably drink Akvavit over Gin... anyday.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Can anybody recommend an Indian restaurant with big serving sizes? Or perhaps a good Indian buffet.

I've been meaning to try out Indian cuisine for a while now (other than butter chicken and tandori chicken) and I want to go with my family and order one thing of each and see what's good.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I love Whiskeys. Tried a bunch.

My go-to bottles (inexpensive) at the moment are Jim Bean and Grant's. I sometimes go for Jack Daniel's, but less and less. I need a chaser with it.

In the mid range of prices I love Chivas Regal, the 12 years is fine but the 18 years is where it's at.

Was gifted a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue, worth 230$ at the time (Duty free). Dissappoiting. Then again I really dislike JW red and black, so it was to be expected.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Can anybody recommend an Indian restaurant with big serving sizes? Or perhaps a good Indian buffet.

I've been meaning to try out Indian cuisine for a while now (other than butter chicken and tandori chicken) and I want to go with my family and order one thing of each and see what's good.

Depending how far you're willing to go, Tandoor & Grill Haveli in DDO is pretty amazing. It's also BYOB and spacious. It's Indian/Pakistani, so best of best culinary worlds.

If you're not looking to go too far and you don't mind a no-fuss restaurant, Salateen in Parc-Ex is great as well.

Last edited:

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Captain Morgan spiced or black?

I have both, unsure which I prefer myself. Maybe spiced.

I like black. It has sort of a vanilla-esque taste that is pretty smooth and is a higher % lol. That's my go-to cheap rum.

Depending how far you're willing to go, Tandoor & Grill Haveli in DDO is pretty amazing. It's also BYOB and spacious. It's Indian/Pakistani, so best of best culinary worlds.

If you're not looking to go too far and you don't mind a no-fuss restaurant, Salateen in Parc-Ex is great as well.

I heard it's OK but I heard Karma (the restaurant prior in that location) was much better.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I like black. It has sort of a vanilla-esque taste that is pretty smooth and is a higher % lol. That's my go-to cheap rum.

I heard it's OK but I heard Karma (the restaurant prior in that location) was much better.

I had a friend who used to bartend at Karma and have heard some wild stories about that restaurant :laugh:

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Hey everyone.

My brother in law imports artisanal alcohol from the USA (vodka and gin) and from Mexico (tequila, mezcal, sotol).

He is a top chef and mixologist, owns some restaurants in Montreal and Mexico.

Here is his FB group for his import products and food / mixology events :
https://www.facebook.com/mezcalmonteal/

He and his partners also post lots of interesting articles about booze and food.

His products are available in the SAQ and at at least 50 resto / bars in Mtl.

If you are unfamiliar with mezcal, it's a real treat.
Tequila can only be made with one type of agave cactus.
Mezcal can be made from any of the 30+ types of agave cactus.
It's more like a single malt scotch, very artisinal.
Takes a lot longer to make and has a huge variety of flavors.
And unlike tequila, they do not produce gigantic quantities.

If you ever go to Oaxaca City, go to the market and have a tasting session.
I tried mezcal infused with coffee, various fruits and berries etc...
So yummy!

Salud!

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Brands you prefer?

My every day, "go-to" labels are "Knob Creek" & "Bulleit". I either drink bourbon straight-up or make "Old Fashioned" cocktails.

As someone else mentioned "Woodford Reserve" is good and is a notch above the two brands I mentioned earlier. Very good. I also own a limited edition 2016 Kentucky Derby bottle in my bar.

Lots of great stuff in your link, but I can tell you which one I don't like - Buffalo Trace. It's way too smokey for me, if I wanted that I'd go Scotch. I also own a bottle of Stagg that's 72% alc/vol. Haven't opened it yet.

I import rare bottles from the US. SAQ has a very limited selection unfortunately.

The best bourbon is distilled in either Kentucky or Tennessee IMO.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Hey everyone.

My brother in law imports artisanal alcohol from the USA (vodka and gin) and from Mexico (tequila, mezcal, sotol).

He is a top chef and mixologist, owns some restaurants in Montreal and Mexico.

Here is his FB group for his import products and food / mixology events :
https://www.facebook.com/mezcalmonteal/

He and his partners also post lots of interesting articles about booze and food.

His products are available in the SAQ and at at least 50 resto / bars in Mtl.

If you are unfamiliar with mezcal, it's a real treat.
Tequila can only be made with one type of agave cactus.
Mezcal can be made from any of the 30+ types of agave cactus.
It's more like a single malt scotch, very artisinal.
Takes a lot longer to make and has a huge variety of flavors.
And unlike tequila, they do not produce gigantic quantities.

If you ever go to Oaxaca City, go to the market and have a tasting session.
I tried mezcal infused with coffee, various fruits and berries etc...
So yummy!

Salud!

Mezcal is nice :)

I am looking into importing a few cases of Tepeztate right now. Am also a fan of Del Maguey, they make some really nice stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad