OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Jim Beam is really bad, IMO. If I want a cheap bourbon, I'll pick up Wild Turkey. Or for a few bucks more, you can get Bulleit which is actually very drinkable, even on its own.

The Bulleit 10 year (less than $50) is really good, too. I've made myself a few Old Fashioneds with that lately.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I am far from a connaisseur but for bourbon I do enjoy Buffalo Trace. Perfect for an Old Fashioned.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I am far from a connaisseur but for bourbon I do enjoy Buffalo Trace. Perfect for an Old Fashioned.

Buffalo Trace is what got me into bourbon. I wanted to use something for a whiskey sour so I picked up a bottle. I eventually tried it straight and quite enjoyed it. I've tried nearly every bourbon we can get at the SAQ (not the best selection), and it's not my favourite, but still very drinkable.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Jim Beam is really bad, IMO. If I want a cheap bourbon, I'll pick up Wild Turkey. Or for a few bucks more, you can get Bulleit which is actually very drinkable, even on its own.

The Bulleit 10 year (less than $50) is really good, too. I've made myself a few Old Fashioneds with that lately.

Yep....
On a budget, or simply if you expect to cook with the bourbon at some point (along with drinking it), Wild Turkey is perfectly acceptable.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
So let's say someone is going to the States next week. What 2 bottles of booze should this theoretical person bring back (either not available here or significantly cheaper)? The theoretical person thanks you in advance

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
So let's say someone is going to the States next week. What 2 bottles of booze should this theoretical person bring back (either not available here or significantly cheaper)? The theoretical person thanks you in advance

Depends what you like.....I find the vodkas down there pretty cheap, Baileys is pretty cheap too, same with Grand Marnier. I find Florida has the cheaper and better selections. Find yourself an ABC liquor store, a big one, and you'll find something. Plus, Florida has a nice selection of rums

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

1 pack of Heady Topper, 1 pack of SOS, 1 pack of Skadoosh or Focal Banger or Second Fiddle or wheatever Four Quarters has canned at that point or that IPA from 14th Star whose name I can't remember, and three Hill Farmstead Growlers/bottles.

X 2 if you're 2.
x 2 if you have no issue with paying extra taxes.

Oh wait... Are we talking about the States or about Vermont? Two completely different places as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Depends what you like.....I find the vodkas down there pretty cheap, Baileys is pretty cheap too, same with Grand Marnier. I find Florida has the cheaper and better selections. Find yourself an ABC liquor store, a big one, and you'll find something. Plus, Florida has a nice selection of rums

The theoretical person is going to Naples :). I'll ... err I mean this person will keep an eye on the hard stuff (more bang per bottle). Big fan of rum so that's going on the list

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
1 pack of Heady Topper, 1 pack of SOS, 1 pack of Skadoosh or Focal Banger or Second Fiddle or wheatever Four Quarters has canned at that point or that IPA from 14th Star whose name I can't remember, and three Hill Farmstead Growlers/bottles.

X 2 if you're 2.
x 2 if you have no issue with paying extra taxes.

Oh wait... Are we talking about the States or about Vermont? Two completely different places as far as I'm concerned.

I'll be sure to sample some of these while I'm there (not sure I want the hassle of flying beer back home from Florida). Thanks!

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
If you like stouts and are able to find this one, pick it up. It's incredible.

2016_xocoveza_stats.png

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

You bring back what you drink and like
In the past 2 trips, I've brought back 2 huge Appleton bottles and a baileys and Grand Marnier because they're so freak in cheap compared to here.

Baileys is for the wife and me sometimes in my coffee and a few friends like GM

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I'll be sure to sample some of these while I'm there (not sure I want the hassle of flying beer back home from Florida). Thanks!

You're highly unlikely to find any of these in Florida.

However, when in Florida, a trip to Cigar City is obviously in order.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Anything you like in a big format. When I went to New Hampshire few years back all the bottles I looked at were almost 33% of the price here. a 60oz of Jack's was less than a 26oz here. Same for Bailey's. The Gallo rosé wine was like 3$... that's off the top of my head. Ridiculous.

I filled up the car and suitcases and told my girlfriend to shut up at the border, dealt with it :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Heard an interesting bit from a pharmacist on 98.5 yesterday re alcohol. Just caught the tail end, I wish I had heard the rest.

He mentioned that the darker the color of the alcohol, the more the liver has to work to eliminate it from the body and the longer it takes. Guess this gives an edge to vodka and gin.

Second, he said that any alcohol beverage that contains bubbles gets to the brain faster (beer, champagne, etc.). Well, good to know but not really an issue in this thread where the focus is more on hard liquor.

And finally, if you wind up with a hangover or a headache further to partaking in alcohol, do not take pain relievers that contain acetaminophen, like Tylenol. Instead, you should be taking aspirin.

Can anyone with a medical background validate any of these points?

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
Yep....
On a budget, or simply if you expect to cook with the bourbon at some point (along with drinking it), Wild Turkey is perfectly acceptable.

I bought that as a decoy for my girlfriend when she started to like scotch... on ice. I do have one every once in a while.

Any other "sleeper"/underrated scotch/bourbon/rum recommendations?

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Heard an interesting bit from a pharmacist on 98.5 yesterday re alcohol. Just caught the tail end, I wish I had heard the rest.

He mentioned that the darker the color of the alcohol, the more the liver has to work to eliminate it from the body and the longer it takes. Guess this gives an edge to vodka and gin.

Second, he said that any alcohol beverage that contains bubbles gets to the brain faster (beer, champagne, etc.). Well, good to know but not really an issue in this thread where the focus is more on hard liquor.

And finally, if you wind up with a hangover or a headache further to partaking in alcohol, do not take pain relievers that contain acetaminophen, like Tylenol. Instead, you should be taking aspirin.

I understand that you didn't get the whole interview, but...

Doesn't the "darker" color in AT LEAST SOME spirits often come from aging in barrels? And in which case, what does that have to do with the stomach eliminating anything?

As for bubbles, that sortof makes sense, as bubbles are mostly CO2 "absorbed" in the liquid. That's how it works for beer at least.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I have a pretty large bourbon/scotch collection, though I am an serious need of a restock of some bottles...

The choices here are good ones. Buffalo Trace is probably my favorite of the cheaper stuff. Basil Hayden's is also good by itself. I don't really mix drinks with bourbon, prefer it by itself.

Scotch I like em all... I have a really rare bottle from a tiny distillery in Speyside, only 200 bottles exist. Also like the classics like Lagavulin and Cardhu.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I understand that you didn't get the whole interview, but...

Doesn't the "darker" color in AT LEAST SOME spirits often come from aging in barrels? And in which case, what does that have to do with the stomach eliminating anything?

The pharmacist said that the liver (and not the stomach) has to work harder to eliminate darker colored alcohol. I'm just looking for the rationale, I don't know the reason.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The pharmacist said that the liver (and not the stomach) has to work harder to eliminate darker colored alcohol. I'm just looking for the rationale, I don't know the reason.

It's been explained to me in the past that quite often, the phenols and other compounds that add colour and or flavour are more complex than ethanol and take more energy and time for the liver to process. That always sounded like a legitimate explanation to me.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Not sure about the dark color taking longer to be excreted, but I'd imagine it's because on top of the ethanol the liver has other stuff to eliminate (coloring, wood particles from the barrels, whatever).

As for tylenol, it's metabolized by the liver, which is already busy metabolizing your booze. Tylenol can be a cause of hepatic failure if taken in too large quantities and your liver can't process it fast enough. Also, if you boozed up quite good, you're probably dehydrated which increases blood concentration of acetaminophen.

That said, NSAIDs (like advil, motrin, aleve, naproxen, voltaren...) and aspirin can affect your kidneys, so stil got to be somewhat careful with dosage and frequency.
https://www.goodrx.com/blog/is-ibuprofenadvil-bad-for-my-liver-and-kidneys/

PS I didn't hear the interview, but I'm pretty sure they would have recommended NSAIDs before aspirin. Aspirin isn't really used anymore outside of preventative measures for heart patients/stroke

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I have a pretty large bourbon/scotch collection, though I am an serious need of a restock of some bottles...

The choices here are good ones. Buffalo Trace is probably my favorite of the cheaper stuff. Basil Hayden's is also good by itself. I don't really mix drinks with bourbon, prefer it by itself.

Scotch I like em all... I have a really rare bottle from a tiny distillery in Speyside, only 200 bottles exist. Also like the classics like Lagavulin and Cardhu.

To revive this thread a little bit... You should try a good Old Fashioned with quality bourbon.

Here's one of the best ones I've ever tried (and I've lived in GA, TN and KY, so I've sampled a lot of these over the years). It was at N Bar on Mackay, rather unknown spot with a large selection of bourbon. I would not have bourbon in any other cocktail, but it works very well in Old Fashioned and even enhances the flavor of it.

http://imgur.com/a/lvOKM

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
There's one thing I'll always grill on the BBQ.
Hanger.

Marinate and/or rub with whatever you like, start with direct grilling, rotate to make sure every part of the hanger has been exposed to the grill, toss it on the other side so as to finish cooking. Preferably Medium-Rare.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad