OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Ive tested a bunch of ovens, the gozneys are just superior product. I have the Koda 16 and the Karu 12, the gozney roccbox is small, but to me leads to a better cook than the rolling flame of the Koda 12 and 16, and you get enough space to rotate a 10-12 inch pie easily in there (220-250g balls).

Of course, if you have the pocket change, the dome is the ultimate get. I rented two for an event I did... Cooked just as good as the 25k oven I work with. The gozneys have dual-fuel capabilities too, which is nice, even if I personally prefer gas.

love it, thanks for the alpha. haven't looked into them much before. have spent 2500 on dumber things, regrettably

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Don't know if anyone's ever had the pleasure to dine at one Roy Yamaguchis establishment,but if you get the chance,do so.

yamaguchis.jpg

Here is a quick and easy ahi poke recipe,yum yum!
  • 2 large sashimi grade Ahi tuna steaks (1 1/2 lbs.)
  • 1/4 Cup vidalia onion or another sweet yellow onion, sliced
  • 1/2 Cup chopped green onion
  • 3 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 Tsp sesame oil
  • 1 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce
  • 1 Tbsp grated ginger
  • 1 Tbsp sesame seeds

Instructions​

1. 1. Pat ahi dry and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
    2. Combine all other ingredients in bowl.
    3. Add a bit of dressing in at a time and taste it until you have just enough to enhance the flavour of the fish.
    4. It can be served immediately. If waiting to eat it, it must be refrigerated.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’m thinking about taking cooking lessons as I don’t have the patience to make elaborate dishes and end up always doing the same ones from my limited rotation. So yeah, for people like me, cooking can be intimidating although I’ve learned a lot in the last 2-3 years.

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
love it, thanks for the alpha. haven't looked into them much before. have spent 2500 on dumber things, regrettably
Up to 20% off on Gozney outdoor ovens and accessories until Dec. 14th: Black Friday Sale

Would love a dome but I’m moving in 1-2 years so I’ll have to wait. Would also splurge on a smoker but wouldn’t know what to get.

My nephew has a smoker that works with pellets that he bought at Quebec BBQ — where I’m noticing that they also have a sale up to 70% off on all floor products: BBQ aux Granules | BBQ Québec

Québec BBQ also carry Weber so I’ll have to scoot over there to get accessories on sale.

Reactions: covfefe

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If anyone here ever feels tempted to buy this, please consider that life is worth living, and people out there care about you.

61hGrJv.png
Im assuming it's the exact same product they have as in restaurant, which is okay at best.

Holy crap, this is the most pretentious post of all time. I hope you're just joking when you say this. If not, you're exactly why a lot of people think that cooking is intimidating.
Read the conversation, hes not the one being pretentious. There was an insane lack of respect for what the culinary arts are by a poster just before.

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006
I’m thinking about taking cooking lessons as I don’t have the patience to make elaborate dishes and end up always doing the same ones from my limited rotation. So yeah, for people like me, cooking can be intimidating although I’ve learned a lot in the last 2-3 years.
You really don't need lessons, just practice and inspiration (a joint helps too)
There's a lot of good pro chefs and home chefs on YouTube, two of my favs:

Chef Jean-Pierre, an old french guy who moved to Florida 40 years ago. He's funny and he explains shit in a simple manner and you'll learn to do your mise-en-place, be well-organized and use a lot of butter!

Chef John from Food Wishes. Simple dishes and desserts anybody can make. Good visuals and good narration.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
take away.jpg

Something to be said about fresh shrimp and stopping at those shrimps trucks for a quick bite, best shrimps ever!
Interesting or not but never any shrimp at a Luau, plenty of peepee and poopoo though and no one ever complains! Guess because you're in a great mood because as soon as you arrive in Hawaii, you get leighed. It's not actually spelt like that, pupu and pipi, but pronounced like it, it's yum yum.
So are those nuts, more addictive than the painkillers! My bad on that though, bit off more than I could chew. Was attempting to hang ten, NO I didn't pull IT out from my swim trunks, it's a surfing move, and being rusty, got destroyed. No wonder it's called brokeback beach. A word to the wise, always get medical insurance! When I got released from hospital we were handed a bill, thought it was for a partial purchase of Oahu! Of course having double vision didn't help, don't mind me and run-on sentences and all, it's the medical and medicinal cocktails, at least now I can see better and read and write some.
From burning up the dance to wobbling in a Wmart with a walker in a blink of an eye, and no, not Johnnie. On a positive note, asked a friend that produces maple syrup for a case and he got it to us in no time. Best maple syrup is from Quebec, handsdown.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Not about calories but about avoiding sugar, which tends to be abundant in a lot of recipes (desserts).
I'm not a nutritionist but have been lectured from one by one of the best, or is that scolded? Usually coincides when it's munchies time, but that's a whole other ball of wax. Whatever, I associate desserts as pies, cakes, tarts, ice cream etc etc. Not obliged to partake in desserts nor mandatory and most are pretty much empty calories already and the amount of sugar with a portion in the grand scheme of things is rather negligible. Everybody is different but rarely indulge in dessert, special occasions but we eat sensibly and are workout maniacs, so when we eat junk, no big deal. Yogurt is not a killer and nothing wrong incorporating more fruit, it satisfies imo. There is also some Japanese desserts that use red bean, but I never cared for it, beans for dessert? no thank you.

You can make pizza out of a friggin' store bought tortillas, and it's going to be good, and it's going to be a pizza. Making pizza dough that is actually of good quality is quite difficult. Especially when you want to dabble in naturally-leavened neo or classical neapolitan.

Im curious to see how your pies look, of any types, send some pictures, we'll be the judges.
A tortilla you say, sure, prefer in a pinch to use store bought Indian naan, a type of flatbread. Why do you find making pizza dough so difficult, the type that is used by most pizza shops? Look at whats his name, even they look decent, if you like big doughy bready pizza, I'm not, thin crust all the way! Doing an authentic Neapolitan is much longer, have done it to see, not authentic though, no wood burning oven, not green and bad for the environment etc etc, and it takes much longer, not worth my time and effort. Send a picture? you can't taste a picture. Send me a link of a place you think has great pizza and I got some people that can go and check some out and they can give me the scoop. It will take a while and in the meantime, lets see your version of a lumpia, cut in half on the diagonal to see the inside since now suddenly you want to change from making a standard commercial pizza dough to something so different.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
You'd think that mrb1 and that jerk could tell you all you'll ever need to know.:sarcasm:

What's your freezer situation like? Do you have plenty of storage to make huge batches and freeze as individual portions afterwards? Anything that I could suggest is contingent on that. Of course it takes time to make big batches but saves time later on, organization and time management is key!
All the courses and lessons I've had over the decades are for far more intricate type food, Indonesian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, pastries, etc, nothing quick and easy that's for sure. Learnt a lot from spending time in the kitchen of friends restaurants that they owned/own, some chains but many independent, totally different approach and equipment.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
It's fine. Not a huge fan, but it's safe to eat.

But maybe not from a sports bar is all.
I've worked in and around restaurants my whole life, this can't be stated more clearly.

If you're asking a min wage cook at a high volume sports bar to pull off a tartare safely, you're asking to be disappointed. Things get left out too long, they don't wash their hands as often as they should, garnishes are left out in room temp and made in bulk and everyone's hands gets in there, in busy rushes they cut corners etc. You're better off buying the tartare from a box at IGA and making it yourself

Then again, I haven't been to cage aux sports in over 10 years so things may have changed, but from my experience even if you change the menu and the decor, it's still the same unshaven low paid workers who often don't gIve AF back there.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You'd think that mrb1 and that jerk could tell you all you'll ever need to know.:sarcasm:

What's your freezer situation like? Do you have plenty of storage to make huge batches and freeze as individual portions afterwards? Anything that I could suggest is contingent on that. Of course it takes time to make big batches but saves time later on, organization and time management is key!
All the courses and lessons I've had over the decades are for far more intricate type food, Indonesian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, pastries, etc, nothing quick and easy that's for sure. Learnt a lot from spending time in the kitchen of friends restaurants that they owned/own, some chains but many independent, totally different approach and equipment.

Have freezer space and limited patience and time at this point but yeah, I’m curious.

Reactions: angusyoung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad