OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tried this easy sautéed mushroom recipe:

71934385447__57EDDEBE-6916-4300-BF96-03E719BC711A.jpeg

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Tried this easy sautéed mushroom recipe:

View attachment 754378
You got some good recipes there lately,it's good eats and I like them,but officially I'm not permitted to do so.lol. Freedom of expression is a myth.lol

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone use monk fruit sweetener as a replacement for conventional sugar? I wonder how well it might fare in recipes and how to establish a reasonable conversion rate.

More research is needed but it’s looking like a great option:

Last edited:

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I appreciated receiving a case last year,but the fresher the better! And who doesn't like roasted boar?
And a byproduct of getting fresh coconuts,a great workout especially for the gluts and thighs. :m-dance:
Next time I'm back in Borneo,gonna give those orangutans a run for their money no doubt:laugh:

BTW,sea cucumber is not bad when done in an Asian fusion style,no,it's not like cucumbers.

go habs go.jpg

pig out!.jpg

Last edited:

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Anyone use monk fruit sweetener as a replacement for conventional sugar? I wonder how well it might fare in recipes and how to establish a reasonable conversion rate.

More research is needed but it’s looking like a great option:

Heard of monk-fish,monk-seals and of course monk-eez but not sugar.
Never seen any cooking tutorial that replaces sugar,due to changing chemistry?:dunno:
How is it best utilized? sweeter for coffee tea juices etc?

The fishing is good .

View attachment 745604

Prawning ain't too bad either

View attachment 745611
We caught some pretty good monsters lately but how you catch prawns? Rod and reel?:huh::dunce::dunno:

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
\

"Mere" Pizza types, as if a certain dish couldn't be elevated.

Yeah, Ill take a bow and say we're not of the same level.
If you can't make a good pizza which is super simple ya got problems.

Never heard of Pizza Hut or Dominoes? you don't reinvent the wheel there. You just count your cash and move out the eats.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Heard of monk-fish,monk-seals and of course monk-eez but not sugar.
Never seen any cooking tutorial that replaces sugar,due to changing chemistry?:dunno:
How is it best utilized? sweeter for coffee tea juices etc?
From what I'm reading, you can use Monk fruit sweetener to replace sugar. Depending on the brand you get, it can even be a 1:1 replacement. They say they've replicated the texture of sugar and with some brands, it doesn't have any after taste. Not sure if that necessarily means it works in all recipes -- some experimentation needs to happen.

Reactions: angusyoung

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
If you can't make a good pizza which is super simple ya got problems.

Well, pizza is definitely not as easy to make as you think, as evidenced by the fact that in this part of the forum I saw pizzas that deserved life imprisonment. And no, it's not a question of taste, but of good taste, which is a different thing.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I've tried something this week which I really can't believe I hadn't done before and it came out exactly as good in my mouth as it should've on paper.

Basically... Tandoori Chicken, but instead of garlic, lemon juice, spices and a touch of neutral oil, it was done with garlic, lemon juice, gochujiang and a touch of sesame oil.

• Wow

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
From what I'm reading, you can use Monk fruit sweetener to replace sugar. Depending on the brand you get, it can even be a 1:1 replacement. They say they've replicated the texture of sugar and with some brands, it doesn't have any after taste. Not sure if that necessarily means it works in all recipes -- some experimentation needs to happen.
I spoke with an expert on the subject,you owe me big time BTW, and after a lengthy and tedious lesson in chemistry and all. As a sweetener for coffee,tea,juice etc the use is simple enough. As you mentioned,for baking etc,it requires experimentation to determine how much to use and what not.
It was mentioned to me that if it's just for counting calories,you should probably increase your physical activity.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Well, pizza is definitely not as easy to make as you think, as evidenced by the fact that in this part of the forum I saw pizzas that deserved life imprisonment. And no, it's not a question of taste, but of good taste, which is a different thing.
Do you find making pizza dough difficult? creating a sauce,demanding? topping it as you like a tough choice? I have to ask,and no offense intended, but are you a child or suffer from a physical or mental defect? sorry if you do but it would make sense at least because if you're an adult I don't see what the problem is,unless you're one of those types ya know,pretty useless.
I often make pizza when I'm at my compound in Greece and have served it to at least a hundred people from all corners of the world,and they say it's the best they've had.But I/we are perfectionists and demanding so maybe that's why whatever we create,we perfect it.:thumbu::thumbu:

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Do you find making pizza dough difficult? creating a sauce,demanding? topping it as you like a tough choice? I have to ask,and no offense intended, but are you a child or suffer from a physical or mental defect? sorry if you do but it would make sense at least because if you're an adult I don't see what the problem is,unless you're one of those types ya know,pretty useless.
I often make pizza when I'm at my compound in Greece and have served it to at least a hundred people from all corners of the world,and they say it's the best they've had.But I/we are perfectionists and demanding so maybe that's why whatever we create,we perfect it.:thumbu::thumbu:

Learn about food and learn how to talk about food first of all, then maybe you can learn how to cook.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You can make pizza out of a friggin' store bought tortillas, and it's going to be good, and it's going to be a pizza. Making pizza dough that is actually of good quality is quite difficult. Especially when you want to dabble in naturally-leavened neo or classical neapolitan.

Im curious to see how your pies look, of any types, send some pictures, we'll be the judges.

Reactions: covfefe

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I love making pizza despite not being particularly good at it. So here's a before/after progress pic for your roasting purposes b1p. Once I started using poolish my results improved dramatically.

also, the rumours are indeed true. dough senses fear

Attachments

• Piz2.jpg
    Piz2.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Piz1.jpg
    Piz1.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Piz3.jpg
    Piz3.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 9

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I spoke with an expert on the subject,you owe me big time BTW, and after a lengthy and tedious lesson in chemistry and all. As a sweetener for coffee,tea,juice etc the use is simple enough. As you mentioned,for baking etc,it requires experimentation to determine how much to use and what not.
It was mentioned to me that if it's just for counting calories,you should probably increase your physical activity.
Not about calories but about avoiding sugar, which tends to be abundant in a lot of recipes (desserts).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I love making pizza despite not being particularly good at it. So here's a before/after progress pic for your roasting purposes b1p. Once I started using poolish my results improved dramatically.

I'd never roast someone that doesn't deserve it ;). Looks nice man, Id probably eat seven of those though, hope you got that mise en place ready. And yeah, poolish and especially biga makes a monumental difference in feeling, taste, color, etc.

And also yes, dough senses fear, that dough bin is just like a hungry pack of wolves and if you're not alpha enough, it will f*** up your dinner.

What did you bake those in ? Big green egg with a pizza stone?

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005

Nice a fellow Egger! Those pizzas looks fantastic, way better than mine

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I'd never roast someone that doesn't deserve it ;). Looks nice man, Id probably eat seven of those though, hope you got that mise en place ready. And yeah, poolish and especially biga makes a monumental difference in feeling, taste, color, etc.

And also yes, dough senses fear, that dough bin is just like a hungry pack of wolves and if you're not alpha enough, it will f*** up your dinner.

What did you bake those in ? Big green egg with a pizza stone?

Yeah exactly, Big green egg with a stone.

It's great for smoking and longer cooks but not the best for pizza. Once you open it up you lose heat quickly. So you really can't peek/rotate, nor can you make a bunch in a row if you're having people over.

Thinking about getting the biggest wood-burning Ooni which seems fairly multipurpose and gets to temp fast

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah exactly, Big green egg with a stone.

It's great for smoking and longer cooks but not the best for pizza. Once you open it up you lose heat quickly. So you really can't peek/rotate, nor can you make a bunch in a row if you're having people over.

Thinking about getting the biggest wood-burning Ooni which seems fairly multipurpose and gets to temp fast
Ive tested a bunch of ovens, the gozneys are just superior product. I have the Koda 16 and the Karu 12, the gozney roccbox is small, but to me leads to a better cook than the rolling flame of the Koda 12 and 16, and you get enough space to rotate a 10-12 inch pie easily in there (220-250g balls).

Of course, if you have the pocket change, the dome is the ultimate get. I rented two for an event I did... Cooked just as good as the 25k oven I work with. The gozneys have dual-fuel capabilities too, which is nice, even if I personally prefer gas.

Reactions: covfefe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad