OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Mckiernans, hands down. Its only on the menu saturday and sunday. Ill keep an eye out for specials but thats where I would go.
Sweet, I've been there for the chicken before and it was great. Glad to hear their prime rib is good too.

Hey, @ThaDevilGirl, looks like we got a place to go for my birthday! And it's relatively inexpensive to the previous places we've done! McKiernan

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Other than The Keg, does anyone have any recommendations to get good prime rib in Montreal? Been craving it for a bit, and I'd rather just get it at a nice restaurant than make it at home.
Have you tried one of these: The Best Prime Ribs in Montreal: Our favourite spots

If not, I heard good things about 40 Westt (used to be same owners as Queue de Cheval a few years ago, maybe they still are). It’s less costly than Queue de Cheval but still on the pricy side.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Have you tried one of these: The Best Prime Ribs in Montreal: Our favourite spots

If not, I heard good things about 40 Westt (used to be same owners as Queue de Cheval a few years ago, maybe they still are). It’s less costly than Queue de Cheval but still on the pricy side.
Jeremie from Barroco knows whats up but I havent there in years, Id guess its good.

I dont know the team at H&B but i trust them, not really my style though.

Maison publique and kitchen galerie are sadly closed, I think KG is gonna reopen soon and Derek closed Maison publique but has a hand in Mckiernans.

Joe beef and Chien fumant are both staples, of course.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ever tried grilling Sicilian eggplants? They’re sweeter than the usual standard eggplants you’ll find in supermarkets year round.

They are round, light pink or lavender in colour and are only available for a few weeks. You can still find some at an open air market but they’ll be gone soon.

I usually slice them thin, salt them on both sides to get the water out but not too long as I don’t want the facades to turn dark brown. I’ll layer them out using wax or parchment paper. And then grill them.

Once nicely cooked with grill marks, season and enjoy. Typically add pepper, parsley, garlic and olive oil. You won’t believe how tasty they are.

A variation using mint (never tried): https://www.kalofagas.ca/2021/05/17/grilled-eggplant-sicilian-style/

Attachments

• 71615096879__C51596BC-7565-4174-A4B0-10354988EAFB.jpeg
    71615096879__C51596BC-7565-4174-A4B0-10354988EAFB.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 71647635341__37838C67-F252-4F48-ACAB-4C4A44A8CA28.jpeg
    71647635341__37838C67-F252-4F48-ACAB-4C4A44A8CA28.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: Fenris

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was never a fan of oatmeal but if what this physician is saying is correct, I’m glad I have been avoiding it:

Has anyone made kefir a part of their diet? I’ve started this week with the more solid one as opposed to the liquified version. I bought the 2 kg bucket from Costco at only $5.79. It tastes a little like yogurt but apparently is highly beneficial toward good gut bacteria. I’ll have it with fruits as I get used to the taste. I know someone who eats 2 kg a week!

• Wow
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ever tried grilling Sicilian eggplants? They’re sweeter than the usual standard eggplants you’ll find in supermarkets year round.

They are round, light pink or lavender in colour and are only available for a few weeks. You can still find some at an open air market but they’ll be gone soon.

I usually slice them thin, salt them on both sides to get the water out but not too long as I don’t want the facades to turn dark brown. I’ll layer them out using wax or parchment paper. And then grill them.

Once nicely cooked with grill marks, season and enjoy. Typically add pepper, parsley, garlic and olive oil. You won’t believe how tasty they are.

A variation using mint (never tried): https://www.kalofagas.ca/2021/05/17/grilled-eggplant-sicilian-style/
Try making caponata with them, your taste buds will explode. I have a pizza on the menu with caponate on red, its probably my favorite.

I was never a fan of oatmeal but if what this physician is saying is correct, I’m glad I have been avoiding it:

Has anyone made kefir a part of their diet? I’ve started this week with the more solid one as opposed to the liquified version. I bought the 2 kg bucket from Costco at only $5.79. It tastes a little like yogurt but apparently is highly beneficial toward good gut bacteria. I’ll have it with fruits as I get used to the taste. I know someone who eats 2 kg a week!

Anytime someone is demonizing a food you can discredit their opinion.

Kefir is good.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Reese's Halloween shaped things are like crack. They finally have the proper ratio of peanut butter to chocolate, which is 98% peanut butter.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

He calls himself the Carnivore MD, sells supplements and has bitcoin in his bio. He also sells book about his stuff. Calls plants toxic. Uses eggs as shampoo. Seed oils phobia. Uses beef fat (plus zinc) as sunscreen. Wants you to tan your balls (yes, really). Thinks sunglasses are bad for you. Think you can reverse type 1 diabetes with animal-based diet.

Here's a debunking of his appearance on Rogan (haven't read it much but looked like it made sense for the 30 seconds I looked at it). Paul Saladino on Joe Rogan Experience: Hype vs. Evidence

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He calls himself the Carnivore MD, sells supplements and has bitcoin in his bio. He also sells book about his stuff. Calls plants toxic. Uses eggs as shampoo. Seed oils phobia. Uses beef fat (plus zinc) as sunscreen. Wants you to tan your balls (yes, really). Thinks sunglasses are bad for you. Think you can reverse type 1 diabetes with animal-based diet.

Here's a debunking of his appearance on Rogan (haven't read it much but looked like it made sense for the 30 seconds I looked at it). Paul Saladino on Joe Rogan Experience: Hype vs. Evidence
Thanks for setting the record straight. Saladino is a blatant cherry-picker and the link you provided, offers one of the most impressive rebuttals I’ve ever seen in holding someone accountable. I’m blocking the kook from now on.

If there is any evidence that oatmeal is the least bit undesirable, we’ll find it elsewhere. Or maybe, it might just not be.

Reactions: Treb

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Podcaster who sells his own supplements.

Colour me skeptical.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I think I found the smell of paradise.

Smoked chillies in the process of being dehydrated.

Reactions: rik schau

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Who’s going to Florence?

“Hosteria”, she says (sounding like hysteria). It’s oss-teh-riah. If someone is going to recommend places in a foreign country, might as well get pronunciations right.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There are likely a ton of variations for a tuna salad recipe. I’m going to try this one once I have all the ingredients:

I wouldn’t do the tomato filling part but if you want to try a great complement, buy the cranberry and nut bread at the Laval Costco (only Costco that has it, baked on the spot daily or find it at your local artisanal bakery), slice and toast. And then make a sandwich by coating your slices with Polish mustard. A nice explosion of flavours.

Not a fan of tuna in water, I prefer the one in glass jar immersed in quality olive oil. I use any leftover olive oil on salads.

The chef claims you can keep it up to 3 days in the fridge — not sure I buy that. Two days max is as far as I’d go.

What kind of ingredients do you use in yours?

If you try the above mix, please provide feedback.

Here’s the recipe write-up:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad