Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I wonder if this signals a new rebuild.

That might make sense? Green has a very bad track record and already dealt with being a shit coach of a shit team.

Either he turns things around or he'll know how to handle another 4 to 5 years of being at the bottom of the stamdings and everybody hating him.

Man. What a distressing turn of events....

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Never said you weren't.

Just funny to me how easy it is to just shit on every move a franchise makes because there is literally no downside.

Either you are "right" and something bad happens which you can waive around like a flag, or you are wrong and get to cheer with everyone else.
If we’re wrong about a bad move it’ll be the first in a while.

And who really gives a shit if we end up eating crow? This franchise hasn’t had a single good thing happen to it in so long that most of us would be willing to be wrong 100 times if it means we make the playoffs.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That is an irrelevant question. I am not in a management position in this league. Staios's job is, quite literally, to resolve these problems. If he can't deal with problems that exist on this team, then he shouldn't be doing this job.

LOL, wat? The nature of this league and sports fandom is what it is. Professionals from across the league have been quoted as saying it is a what have you done for me lately league. So what has Staios and Andlauer done for us lately?
People just like to sit firmly on the fence. So when things go wrong they can say told ya so. And when things go right…they can also kinda say told ya so
Revisionism over what?

I think people feel the need to have an opinion on everything, which is fine - this is a message board so have at it.

But this idea that you can’t ever just acknowledge that you don’t have the information to feel strongly about something one way or another is kind of ridiculous. There’s no revisionism because I don’t think anyone has said “Green is amazing, he’s gonna be the solution”.

Never said you weren't.

Just funny to me how easy it is to just shit on every move a franchise makes because there is literally no downside.

Either you are "right" and something bad happens which you can waive around like a flag, or you are wrong and get to cheer with everyone else.
I’ve been happy about moves this franchise has made and been horribly wrong about as well lol.

We haven’t cheered about anything in a long ass time

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That is an irrelevant question. I am not in a management position in this league. Staios's job is, quite literally, to resolve these problems. If he can't deal with problems that exist on this team, then he shouldn't be doing this job.

LOL, wat? The nature of this league and sports fandom is what it is. Professionals from across the league have been quoted as saying it is a what have you done for me lately league. So what has Staios and Andlauer done for us lately?
They inherited a team 6 months ago, hired Poulin, hired Nichol, hired Tierny, made their 1st hire for the bench, and are heading into their 1st off-season and season with their hands on the team where big changes are sure to come.

When lately is literally a total of 6 months in its entirety of another persons team, not giving much of anything to them

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Andlauer and Staois can't treat this like year one of a rebuild even if it's their first season with the keys. Fan sentiment matters, doing something positive in the eyes of the paying customer matters. Despite it not being entirely their fault, the fanbase is going to be at a boiling point and nothing short of immediate on ice success is going to change that. I'm at a loss with what they are doing here, it's like they have no awareness of the market of situation they put themselves in.

Not everything is their fault, far from it, but they are still tasked with turning this thing around, and quickly, given the temperature of the fanbase.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Julien showed interest, insiders said Evason was intrigued by the job here

And we hire a coach with as many .500 seasons as DJ

I always find it funny how the coaches in the NHL is just a country club of contacts and people you know, could even extend to management, some really do suck at their job

Oct 10, 2010
I don't know about deserves to be bashed, because it's a terrible contract to attempt to move that will have us taking hard lumps, or an undesirable buyout (I'd still do it), and I am far more concerned about the possibility he will be back for ~40 games than this coaching hire. That is a death sentence for any playoff chances imo.
If you can’t move him fine just bury him in Belleville! If we are serious about winning he can’t be playing here next year IMO.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
I wonder if this signals a new rebuild.

That might make sense? Green has a very bad track record and already dealt with being a shit coach of a shit team.

Either he turns things around or he'll know how to handle another 4 to 5 years of being at the bottom of the stamdings and everybody hating him.

Man. What a distressing turn of events....
Wondering the same, Greene is not a coach you hire to signal that you are ready to win now

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Pro sports moves fast. You can't really debate that it's been a rocky start.

Waited too long to fire Dorion and trotted him out for all sorts of photo ops when basic due diligence would have uncovered what his performance, and the perception of him, was.

Waited too long to fire DJ despite having a mountain of evidence about his performance and ability to turn a season around.

Talked a big game about hiring both a POHO and General Manager (two-headed monster was the phrase used by Andlauer, I believe?) but ended up giving both jobs to Staios and hiring Dave Poulin from TSN to be an assistant.

Talked a big game about hiring a coach with a winning pedigree and came up with Travis Green who has an NHL winning % similar to DJ Smith.

Sometimes, it doesn't take long to evaluate a management group.

In the NBA, it took people a couple months to lose faith in Matt Ishbia and the Suns. And what do you know. They're already a disaster, again. Andlauer is on that path.

It would've been one thing to make these moves quietly, but after all that bluster and bravado? The backlash this early is on them.

When you tell your new wife you're going to take her on the honeymoon of a lifetime, show her brochures from Tuscany, but then end up at Canada's Wonderland without the ticket that let's you skip lines... her disappointment is on you.

Not to overreact just yet, but...

This was definitely the first red flag. Dorion was a total clown and should have been fired the instant the sale closed. If I'm spending hundreds of millions of dollars on an asset, I'm not letting that man have a single ounce of power over it, and yet they kept him around until he gave them no choice.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
They inherited a team 6 months ago, hired Poulin, hired Nichol, hired Tierny, made their 1st hire for the bench, and are heading into their 1st off-season and season with their hands on the team.

Dave Poulin hadn't worked for a front-office in 9 years, and his last experience was working for the trainwreck Brian Burke Leafs.

Tierney's only experience working for a hockey team was (surprise surprise) with the Hamilton Bulldogs 3 years ago.

Matt Nichol is a part-time strength coach who'll work primarily out of Toronto. He's also still employed by (again surprise surprise) the Bramptom Bulldogs and Hamilton Ticats.

These are not some earth shattering get excited about moves.

They're pretty underwhelming.

Sure, they're better than what Melnyk did. But by NHL standards? Nothingburgers.

Couple that with a rookie executive who's both the POHO and GM and a new coach that has a well under .500% winning percentage at the NHL level.

It's not a good start.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I doubt they rebuild with our barren propsect pool and limited trade assets outside of the only guys we want to keep. Green is absolutely the guy they think will push us into the playoffs.

Really bizarre signing. I assume they knew they had no chance at the big names with so many teams looking for coaches.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Not to overreact just yet, but...

This was definitely the first red flag. Dorion was a total clown and should have been fired the instant the sale closed. If I'm spending hundreds of millions of dollars on an asset, I'm not letting that man have a single ounce of power over it, and yet they kept him around until he gave them no choice.

yea wtf was that.

the only way i could justify it is that they wanted to use Dorion as the scapegoat for the upcoming trainwreck.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I doubt they rebuild with our barren propsect pool and limited trade assets outside of the only guys we want to keep. Green is absolutely the guy they think will push us into the playoffs.

Really bizarre signing. I assume they knew they had no chance at the big names with so many teams looking for coaches.
I don't doubt that the Sens are far from the first choice given the openings out there. But like, they didn't need to be the first team to pull the trigger. I absolutely guarantee there was no bidding war brewing for Travis Green.

We couldn't have waited a couple of weeks, let a couple of the big names fall, and then sniff around for an Evanson or a McLellan or even a Green then?

Aside from the quality of the hire, which is suspect, the optics of it all are just so bizarre.

Reactions: Relapsing

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Not a fan of Travis Green as the head coach of this team. Maybe Staios and Andlauer are betting on another Rick Tocchet situation with Green.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
If it does, I hope they're ready to watch that renewed fan turnout evaporate just as quickly. There is not a chance in hell they can sell this fanbase on another 4+ year rebuild. Zero. Nada.
In a sea of options for how to spend ones time, money and emotional investment, I can honestly say the same.

I love spending time on this forum with everyone, but is that enough of a reason to continue being a fan that tries to watch every game?

I didn't play the sport growing up. I have a passing interest in the rest of the league. If the sens are gonna ask me to watch another rebuild, then there's other ways to spend my evenings.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Green isn't a good tactical coach. His systems sucked in Vancouver. He was never able to get the team to play responsible defense with passable offense. It was one or the other. And he generally had great goaltenders in Vancouver. When he was fired, Boudrea was hired and basically didn't have a system and the Canucks were way better as a result.

I will say though that Jim Benning is perhaps one of the worse GMs of all time so it was going to be challenging for Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad