Speculation: The coaching search continues

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Honeymoon is over for this ownership group.

We were sold a 'best in class' bill of goods. Over, and over, that's been the catchphrase of this group.

Best

In

Class

Objectively, Staios was not the best in class hire for the GM position.

Objectively, Greene is not the best in class hire for the coaching position.

Objectively, this team is no where close to best in class in our division, our conference, or the league.

What else are people supposed to start believing from this ownership and management group?

And if that happens, we'll be told by some people that actually, there wasn't anything Staios could do about Korpisalo in the first place, and they'll just identify the next goal post by which he should reaaaally be judged on, and on and on it goes until there's no scapegoats left.

It's quite perplexing that Andlauer came in guns blazing saying that slogan over and over again. If his plan was to bring in a junior calibre group to run and coach this team, he really should have tempered expectations.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

We were sold a 'best in class' bill of goods. Over, and over, that's been the catchphrase of this group.

Best

In

Class

Objectively, this team is no where close to best in class in our division, our conference, or the league.

What else are people supposed to start believing from this ownership and management group?

And if that happens, we'll be told by some people that actually, there wasn't anything Staios could do about Korpisalo in the first place, and they'll just identify the next goal post by which he should reaaaally be judged on, and on and on it goes until there's no scapegoats left.
Yes, the 6 month runway is undoubtedly it for the ownership group :laugh:

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK

Best

In

Class

You're given the keys to the castle, how are you getting rid of that Korpisalo contract?

And no, trading him to Utah with a 3rd round pick doesn't count just because it works in NHL 24

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
This is, and always will be, a what have you done for me lately league.

All that this ownership group has done for me lately is make me confused and mad.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Yeah. We’re looking at recent coaching results of the dude we hired. And saying. This doesn’t look good.

It’s an extreeemnmeeellyy normal reaction of sports fans. Happens often.

In a year if we are brutal there will be some revisionism. Always is.
Revisionism over what?

I think people feel the need to have an opinion on everything, which is fine - this is a message board so have at it.

But this idea that you can’t ever just acknowledge that you don’t have the information to feel strongly about something one way or another is kind of ridiculous. There’s no revisionism because I don’t think anyone has said “Green is amazing, he’s gonna be the solution”.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Absolutely hate this hiring. Very difficult to cheer for this team right now..

I will happily eat crow if I'm wrong.
My favourite thing about sports.

"I HATE THIS THING HAPPENING AND I WILL GLADLY POINT TO IT IF IM RIGHT!"
Oh but if I'm wrong I still get to sit and cheer on the good times with everyone else!

Reactions: Ice-Tray
Oct 10, 2010
Well they could buy him out for a reasonable cap hit ($333k next year with a top penalty of $2.3M in 27/28 when the cap projects to ~96-98M).

But Andlauer does not intend to pay players to not play for the team.

So you can expect both Korpisalo and Hamonic (barring a mysterious offseason surgery that prompts LTIR) at training camp ready to be motivated by Travis Green.
I’d easily buy him out we don’t save much, but him not being on the roster is a massive win and step forward.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
...I think many will be more open once they hear Green and Staios speak on WED.

I gotta say, I am not in the set of people who will be swayed one way or the other by what Green says in a press conference. Coaches (and players) nowadays are so cookie cutter with how they answer questions and talk about their philosophy, they're literally all the same.

You're almost guaranteed to hear "play the right way", "accountability", "attention to details"... blah, blah, blah.

And DJ Smith used most of those phrases as well, he just had no clue how to make any of them actually happen.

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
The DJ hiring was bad at the time to despite the nice press conference. He was literally in charge of Toronto’s defence from 2017-2019 lol.
True but at least then you knew the team was rebuilding and was gonna be bad

I have no clue what this hire is lol

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Revisionism over what?

I think people feel the need to have an opinion on everything, which is fine - this is a message board so have at it.

But this idea that you can’t ever just acknowledge that you don’t have the information to feel strongly about something one way or another is kind of ridiculous. There’s no revisionism because I don’t think anyone has said “Green is amazing, he’s gonna be the solution”.
I’m saying if green is great i will say I was wrong. Like I’ve done in the past

And the optimists will usually be like “bargain hire bargain results!”

Reactions: JackieDaytona

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024

Pro sports moves fast. You can't really debate that it's been a rocky start.

Waited too long to fire Dorion and trotted him out for all sorts of photo ops when basic due diligence would have uncovered what his performance, and the perception of him, was.

Waited too long to fire DJ despite having a mountain of evidence about his performance and ability to turn a season around.

Talked a big game about hiring both a POHO and General Manager (two-headed monster was the phrase used by Andlauer, I believe?) but ended up giving both jobs to Staios and hiring Dave Poulin from TSN to be an assistant.

Talked a big game about hiring a coach with a winning pedigree and came up with Travis Green who has an NHL winning % similar to DJ Smith.

Sometimes, it doesn't take long to evaluate a management group.

In the NBA, it took people a couple months to lose faith in Matt Ishbia and the Suns. And what do you know. They're already a disaster, again. Andlauer is on that path.

It would've been one thing to make these moves quietly, but after all that bluster and bravado? The backlash this early is on them.

When you tell your new wife you're going to take her on the honeymoon of a lifetime, show her brochures from Tuscany, but then end up at Canada's Wonderland without the ticket that let's you skip lines... her disappointment is on you.

Last edited:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Not even close. I liked Greene when he went to Vancouver. I think he is going to be a good coach here. Imagine ... knowing how to evaluate a coach first of all and then going through interviews on approaches and details of the game and communication with players... and hearing enough to select your coach. Have fans that look up hockeydb and have some misguided preconceived notions based on very close to nothing be critical of the person selected and the person doing the selecting.

Greene is a tactical x's and o's coach that is also a player's coach.. That combo may just be the ticket here.
Cool, that’s literally Patrick Roy. Why didn’t we interview him 6 months ago? There’s nothing Green has done in this league that Roy hasn’t, and Roy is 10x the personality.

Reactions: Crosside

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Oh but if I'm wrong I still get to sit and cheer on the good times with everyone else!

Well yes….

Should I not be allowed to be happy if we make the playoffs?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Was it a lacklustre hiring when you consider what was available 1,000% but we gotta give em a chance! I think many will be more open once they hear Green and Staios speak on WED.

Now if Staios decides to keep Korpisalo as our starter he deserves to be bashed to the fullest degree!
I don't know about deserves to be bashed, because it's a terrible contract to attempt to move that will have us taking hard lumps, or an undesirable buyout (I'd still do it), and I am far more concerned about the possibility he will be back for ~40 games than this coaching hire. That is a death sentence for any playoff chances imo.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I may be close to blaming this whole thing on the players that they’ve played so hopeless before this year that no coach wants to go near them

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
With the pedigree of coaches available out there, this screams bargain barrel.

Berube, Julien, McLellan, hell, even Evason - and we go for the guy with an underwhelming track history. The Canucks sucked under Green. The Devils sucked under Green. Why on earth would anyone think he's gonna get better results here?

This hiring was a chance for Staios and the ownership to make a real statement about wanting success for this team. They bobbled it.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
You're given the keys to the castle, how are you getting rid of that Korpisalo contract?

And no, trading him to Utah with a 3rd round pick doesn't count just because it works in NHL 24
That is an irrelevant question. I am not in a management position in this league. Staios's job is, quite literally, to resolve these problems. If he can't deal with problems that exist on this team, then he shouldn't be doing this job.

And that’s why you get overreactions every day on here
LOL, wat? The nature of this league and sports fandom is what it is. Professionals from across the league have been quoted as saying it is a what have you done for me lately league. So what has Staios and Andlauer done for us lately?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Ok but it’s not like this is some isolated thing. Our coach hiring practices seem to be as they always were and there’s a rational reason why we’re reacting like this. It’s not like we’re the Tampa Bay Lightning who just made one bad move today.

Reactions: DrEasy

h2

Mar 26, 2002

Oh, I will definitely point to this if I'm right, just like I did to all the Brady haters during the moment he was drafted that wanted Zadina lol

I don't think the outrage to this particular hiring is unreasonable either. There's zero successful track record with Green at the NHL level. This was a crucial hiring and it looks like we're going bargain bin shopping. Definitely not best in class.

Reactions: DrEasy

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Well yes….

Should I not be allowed to be happy if we make the playoffs?
Never said you weren't.

Just funny to me how easy it is to just shit on every move a franchise makes because there is literally no downside.

Either you are "right" and something bad happens which you can waive around like a flag, or you are wrong and get to cheer with everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad