Speculation: The coaching search continues

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
This hire does not look very promising, but all we can do is wait and see how it turns out. Can't say I have very high expectations for next season.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dave Poulin hadn't worked for a front-office in 9 years, and his last experience was working for the trainwreck Brian Burke Leafs.

Tierney's only experience working for a hockey team was (surprise surprise) with the Hamilton Bulldogs 3 years ago.

Matt Nichol is a part-time strength coach who'll work primarily out of Toronto. He's also still employed by (again surprise surprise) the Bramptom Bulldogs and Hamilton Ticats.

These are not some earth shattering get excited about moves.

They're pretty underwhelming.

Sure, they're better than what Melnyk did. But by NHL standards? Nothingburgers.

Couple that with a rookie executive who's both the POHO and GM and a new coach that has a well under .500% winning percentage at the NHL level.

It's not a good start.
DJ was a more exciting hire than green easily

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
yea wtf was that.

the only way i could justify it is that they wanted to use Dorion as the scapegoat for the upcoming trainwreck.

I think the goal was to project and start to establish an organizational culture of stability, sound process and intelligent decision making, and they didn't want it to look like they were coming in and cleaning house. Except that Dorion was the antithesis of stability, sound process and intelligent decision making, and by letting him keep his job, they were undermining the very thing they set out to achieve.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In sports fans know basically nothing of what goes on behind the scenes. But if we just didn’t discuss things we didn’t have 100% of the facts on sports talk and sports discussion simply would not exist.

Reactions: DrEasy

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The structure/effort stuff is the biggest cope I’ve ever seen. So he dumps and chaces but doesn’t actually win hockey games? That’s refreshing, haven’t experienced that yet.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Not everything is their fault, far from it, but they are still tasked with turning this thing around, and quickly, given the temperature of the fanbase.
I think we are going to have to accept that a quick turn around is simply not in the cards.

We are a joke and previous ownership and management destroyed everything.

We want a quick turn around but it may not be possible, just like it is very possible that our core actually sucks.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Not to overreact just yet, but...

This was definitely the first red flag. Dorion was a total clown and should have been fired the instant the sale closed. If I'm spending hundreds of millions of dollars on an asset, I'm not letting that man have a single ounce of power over it, and yet they kept him around until he gave them no choice.
This sounds good and would have felt great but it wouldn't have been a good idea.

Business continuity is very important. Unfortunately, that meant Dorion had to stick around instead of getting insta-fired.

I think we are going to have to accept that a quick turn around is simply not in the cards.

We are a joke and previous ownership and management destroyed everything.

We want a quick turn around but it may not be possible, just like it is very possible that our core actually sucks.
To expand on this, I think we should look at ourselves as an expansion team.

We have very little in terms of futures and the roster is bad. A long road is ahead of us. Again......

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So apparently the Devils roster was healthier and goaltending was better towards the end of the Devils season and they still played worse under Green. Real interesting stuff there. Devils and Canucks fans are absolutely torching him.
They were missing Hamilton the entire time, Siegenthaler for 9 of 21, and Marino for 6 games, that's a lot of missed games from your top 4 D

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Green's results in Vancouver

17-18
26th in points
26th in GF
26th in GA
9th PP%
21st PK%

18-19
23rd in points
25th in GF
18th in GA
22nd PP%
11th PK%

19-20
18th in points
10th in GF
19th in GA
4th PP%
16th PK%

20-21
24th in points
24th in points
26th in GA
25th PP%
17th PK%

It's just... so so below average. A couple goes PP years, but other than that, brutal.

They were missing Hamilton the entire time, Siegenthaler for 9 of 21, and Marino for 6 games, that's a lot of missed games from your top 4 D

Ruff missed Hamilton the entire time, got better results, and was fired as the Devils were deemed a massive disappointment (true).

Green came in and instead of a new coach bump during meaningless games, which most guys get, did even worse.

After a very poor track record in Vancouver.

But Stevey Staios said... this is the guy!

Look at the Devils board. They're thrilled he's gone. There's a reason for that.

Reactions: h2

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
This f***ing hire passes me off more than Vegas losing in game 7 yesterday.

Why Green? Out of all the coaches, this is who you pick?

Reactions: DrEasy

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Sure, there are some reasons but it’s not enough to justify the risk they’re taking, unless they’re perfectly fine with players wanting out after next season or they have an ensamble coachong staff they’re going to reveal.

This is a massive year as Brady’s NMC kicks in next offseason. Why are we getting a guy who’s had one season above .500 to steer this ship?

Maybe they’re not commited to the core as much as we think.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Dave Poulin hadn't worked for a front-office in 9 years, and his last experience was working for the trainwreck Brian Burke Leafs.

Tierney's only experience working for a hockey team was (surprise surprise) with the Hamilton Bulldogs 3 years ago.

Matt Nichol is a part-time strength coach who'll work primarily out of Toronto. He's also still employed by (again surprise surprise) the Bramptom Bulldogs and Hamilton Ticats.

These are not some earth shattering get excited about moves.

They're pretty underwhelming.

Sure, they're better than what Melnyk did. But by NHL standards? Nothingburgers.

Couple that with a rookie executive who's both the POHO and GM and a new coach that has a well under .500% winning percentage at the NHL level.

It's not a good start.
Tierney worked for sportlogiq, the company that each NHL team pays about 200k a year to, for their analytics.
Which make the public available ones look like crap. Thought that was a good hire.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It seems some of you are starting to realize how much you've been duped by this new ownership group. Best in Class, my ass...

Did they have some exhaustive search for POHO? Nope. From the day Andlauer's bid was officially submitted, it was assumed Staios would be POHO. Ok, not ideal for me but I can understand he hired someone who he worked with and trusted. Fine.

When they needed to expand the front office, they hired a guy who was part of the worst management group in the league during his previous stint and who hadn't been in management for almost 10 years. Echoes of the Pierre McGuire hire.

After the GM was fired, did they have some exhaustive search for a new GM? Nope. The rookie POHO made himself a rookie GM during the season.

Before the coach was fired, they mangled an entire season by not moving on it earlier and, after he was, they hired an interim caretaker whose results were broadly the same as the guy fired. Ok, not Martin's fault, he walked into a mess and it was too little too late. Plus, his coaching credentials are f***ing impeccable so you can't fault the guy. Then they undergo an exhaustive search for a new HC and the guy they come up with is the ONLY f***ING GUY WITH A CAREER LOSING RECORD of all the guys they interviewed.

This is honestly unbelievable.

I watched about 25 games last year. First time I've ever not watched at least 75, in a single season. Honestly, looking like it's gonna be the same thing for me again this year.

I'm gonna give this guy a chance because...really, what choice do I have? But this is some bullshit man.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
There are numerous examples of 1-season turnarounds, whether it's in the NHL, or any other professional sports league... it's possible, but not probable with the way things are going for this team.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There are numerous examples of 1-season turnarounds, whether it's in the NHL, or any other professional sports league... it's possible, but not probable with the way things are going for this team.
It certainly can happen.

However we banked on it happening for a few years.

Maybe there just isn't that much upside to this core. We have some good players of course but the mix has always been a major letdown.

Maybe the issue is too much hoping based on work carried out by pathetic people like Dorion.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
It seems some of you are starting to realize how much you've been duped by this new ownership group. Best in Class, my ass...

Did they have some exhaustive search for POHO? Nope. From the day Andlauer's bid was officially submitted, it was assumed Staios would be POHO. Ok, not ideal for me but I can understand he hired someone who he worked with and trusted. Fine.

When they needed to expand the front office, they hired a guy who was part of the worst management group in the league during his previous stint and who hadn't been in management for almost 10 years. Echoes of the Pierre McGuire hire.

After the GM was fired, did they have some exhaustive search for a new GM? Nope. The rookie POHO made himself a rookie GM during the season.

Before the coach was fired, they mangled an entire season by not moving on it earlier and, after he was, they hired an interim caretaker whose results were broadly the same as the guy fired. Ok, not Martin's fault, he walked into a mess and it was too little too late. Plus, his coaching credentials are f***ing impeccable so you can't fault the guy. Then they undergo an exhaustive search for a new HC and the guy they come up with is the ONLY f***ING GUY WITH A CAREER LOSING RECORD of all the guys they interviewed.

I watched about 25 games last year. First time I've ever not watched at least 75, in a single season. Honestly, looking like it's gonna be the same thing for me again this year.

I'm gonna give this guy a chance because...really, what choice do I have? But this is some bullshit man.

What's crazy is if they had hired John Gruden or Todd Nelson, there would have been criticism, but there also would have been some "what if he's the next Bednar or Cooper" optimism. There'd be some excitement about the mystery box.

But Green? Everyone has seen what he can do. He was bad in Vancouver. The NJ fanbase and management (seemingly) wanted nothing to do with him after 21 games as head coach.

And this is the guy they choose? Just mind boggling.

Sure, there's a chance he becomes Rick Tocchet. But there's a much better chance that he becomes Dallas Eakins.

It's crazy how fast things move, but right now, the perception of this group is that they're a few guys sitting in a room trading penny stocks talking about how much smarter they are than the people over at Goldman Sachs.

You had Dean Evason, Todd McLellan and Claude Julien available. Are they slam dunks? No, no coach is. But their track records are way better than Green's. They would certainly command more respect from players than Green. And they'd buy you time with an agitated fanbase.

I'm stumped as to how they passed on those opportunities.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Maybe Brady asked for a trade and will be this summer, so we're going back into a rebuild!

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
This sounds good and would have felt great but it wouldn't have been a good idea.

Business continuity is very important. Unfortunately, that meant Dorion had to stick around instead of getting insta-fired.

To expand on this, I think we should look at ourselves as an expansion team.

We have very little in terms of futures and the roster is bad. A long road is ahead of us. Again......

I understand the argument and agree that it makes sense in most situations, but surely there are exceptional cases - like Pierre Dorion - where the person in charge is such a disaster that the benefits of immediate change outweigh the benefits of continuity.

Oct 10, 2010

Let’s hope the roster decisions are way more sound - that’s our only hope! For example missing the playoffs for 7 straight years how can you justify bringing back one of the worst goalies in the league? You cannot afford to have patience on Korpisalo he needs to go one way or another Green nor Tavev ( assuming he’s signed) is gonna turn Korpisalo into a playoff starter next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad