CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Orr Fourever

#Staysafe
Sponsor
Mar 27, 2018
The Wheat Province
1724025265749_930525207948416.gif

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Well Bombers sure ruined Rourke's return to the CFL. I wouldn't despair as a Lions fan though, that was basically an impossible situation. Coming into the game on 3 days practice, and only 1 practice with top receivers Justin McInnis and Alex Hollins. Hasn't played a real game in what 20 or so months? And to have face off against the league's hottest and potentially best D immediately. I think he'll be fine here going forward, but it'll take a couple weeks for him to really hit his stride.

The west has getting crazy.
1. SSK 5-4-1 PTS DIFF: +11
2. BC 5-5 PTS DIFF: -15
3. WPG 4-6 PTS DIFF: +11
4. CGY 4-6 PTS DIFF: -44
5. EDM 3-7 PTS DIFF: +11

Edmonton at 3-7 with a positive pts differential is hilarious. But I really see scenarios where literally any 3 of these teams end up as the playoff teams in the West. It's going to be a crazy stretch drive.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well Bombers sure ruined Rourke's return to the CFL. I wouldn't despair as a Lions fan though, that was basically an impossible situation. Coming into the game on 3 days practice, and only 1 practice with top receivers Justin McInnis and Alex Hollins. Hasn't played a real game in what 20 or so months? And to have face off against the league's hottest and potentially best D immediately. I think he'll be fine here going forward, but it'll take a couple weeks for him to really hit his stride.

The west has getting crazy.
1. SSK 5-4-1 PTS DIFF: +11
2. BC 5-5 PTS DIFF: -15
3. WPG 4-6 PTS DIFF: +11
4. CGY 4-6 PTS DIFF: -44
5. EDM 3-7 PTS DIFF: +11

Edmonton at 3-7 with a positive pts differential is hilarious. But I really see scenarios where literally any 3 of these teams end up as the playoff teams in the West. It's going to be a crazy stretch drive.
4 losses were by a FG, two others were 6 and 8 point losses. Just one really blowout loss to Hamilton which was a 16 point loss.

I know they were an 0-7 team, but they weren't as bad as people made them out to be. They just found ways to give games up when the going got tough.

Seems like the stink of Chris Jones has left and the team morale has increased and it's showing on the field.

Curious to see how they finish. Have a tough one next week against the Als, but then back to backs against CGY and then WPG that will have a pretty big impact on the West standings.

Reactions: Orr Fourever

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
4 losses were by a FG, two others were 6 and 8 point losses. Just one really blowout loss to Hamilton which was a 16 point loss.

I know they were an 0-7 team, but they weren't as bad as people made them out to be. They just found ways to give games up when the going got tough.

Seems like the stink of Chris Jones has left and the team morale has increased and it's showing on the field.

Curious to see how they finish. Have a tough one next week against the Als, but then back to backs against CGY and then WPG that will have a pretty big impact on the West standings.
My pre-season predictions had WPG, BC, and EDM making the playoffs (with an asterisk that they needed to turn to Ford asap). I still think that it's a possibility that those 3 are the 3 teams to emerge out the west to battle in the playoffs. We'll see.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
My pre-season predictions had WPG, BC, and EDM making the playoffs (with an asterisk that they needed to turn to Ford asap). I still think that it's a possibility that those 3 are the 3 teams to emerge out the west to battle in the playoffs. We'll see.
Anything is possible we are only a little over half the season gone, and not a lot of points separating the clubs at this point.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
A last chance agreement is certainly not out of order when returning from something like this. What is his defense/argument?
That the imposition of such an agreement, without right of appeal, is outside the scope of the collective bargaining agreement.

By all accounts he seems like a POS and I think it’s outrageous that MLSE essentially fired the trainer for reporting his harassment, but I think he’s well within his rights to protest a punishment that goes beyond what the players association bargained for.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
That the imposition of such an agreement, without right of appeal, is outside the scope of the collective bargaining agreement.

By all accounts he seems like a POS and I think it’s outrageous that MLSE essentially fired the trainer for reporting his harassment, but I think he’s well within his rights to protest a punishment that goes beyond what the players association bargained for.
Thank you. Interesting that the CFL would have bargained something so restrictive on discipline.

Having doled out my share of discipline from verbals to terminations, I have always had leeway with delivering punishment (taking in all factors). The Union would have the right to grieve or not. So if I'm the CFL i pull my horns in but if there is a repeat, I simply fire him and then take my chances with an arbitrator.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Thank you. Interesting that the CFL would have bargained something so restrictive on discipline.

Having doled out my share of discipline from verbals to terminations, I have always had leeway with delivering punishment (taking in all factors). The Union would have the right to grieve or not. So if I'm the CFL i pull my horns in but if there is a repeat, I simply fire him and then take my chances with an arbitrator.
To be more specific, my understanding is that the holdup was the CFL’s initial insistence that, in the event of a future alleged violation of the “last chance agreement,” Kelly would not be entitled to appeal the league’s decision. My guess is that a denial of the right to appeal is inconsistent with the CBA. Ultimately the right of appeal was included in the agreement and Kelly was reinstated.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

CFL caved on the appeal part the deal. So he'll have an appeal should he violate the agreement.

CFLs put themselves in a bit of tricky spot, imo. What happens when Kelly gets a DUI, or maybe in a bar fight or whatever stupid shit he's up to next? If CFL tries to implement the "your done" in the last chance agreement, he's just going to argue back to whomever is hearing the appeal that it's not against workplace safety agreement like this is, and the precedent for DUI has been set with 1 game suspension (Lawler among others). Maybe they've accounted for that in the wording of the "Last Chance" agreement idk, but this may turn into a headache. And it's a matter of when, not if with Kelly.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
To be more specific, my understanding is that the holdup was the CFL’s initial insistence that, in the event of a future alleged violation of the “last chance agreement,” Kelly would not be entitled to appeal the league’s decision. My guess is that a denial of the right to appeal is inconsistent with the CBA. Ultimately the right of appeal was included in the agreement and Kelly was reinstated.
Thank you

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Lots of intrigue around the CFL as we hit Week 12.

Saskatchewan (5-4-1) at Toronto (5-4) Thu. 7:30 PM ET
  • Rider fans are losing their minds after a close loss (and demonstrating why they're the worst fan base in all of sports) while the controversial Chad Kelly is back as the Argos QB. Can we get both of these teams to somehow lose?
Hamilton (2-8) at Winnipeg (4-6) Fri. 8:30PM ET
  • The TiCats defense is god awful so the firing of defensive coordinator Mark Washington probably isn't too surprising. Bringing Chris Jones on the coaching staff on the other hand is probably not the smartest move. This game in Winnipeg could be another rough one for the TiCats.
BC (5-5) at Ottawa (6-2-1) Sat. 7PM ET
  • Nathan Rourke seemed to have some troubles getting adjusted to the game speed in the CFL in his return last week. He'll have to figure that out quickly because Ottawa's a legit team and BC gets them in back-to-back weeks.
Edmonton (3-7) at Montreal (9-1) Sun. 7PM ET
  • Three straight wins (and some other Western teams stumbling) has vaulted Edmonton back into the playoff race. This one could really be challenging with the Alouettes riding a four game win streak and starting to pull away from the rest of the field.
Bye Week - Calgary (4-6). This is probably the most unenthusiastic I've felt about the Stampeders since that dark period they had in the early 2000's. For the first time in years, I'm actually dreading the Labour Day game against Edmonton.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Hopefully the idiot hearing the appeal would never rule in his favor.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
And Harris effs up again throwing to a guy is NOT open.

Riders are crap.

Harris is an imbecile. And the play caller is an idiot.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don't know what to say. Terrible play calling. Terrible coaching.
Defense was solid...
Harris is mediocre. I don't think he can find a secondary receiver. Which is why he keeps throwing to guys who are triple covered. Of course it could be because most of the Riders receivers are crap.

Don't care what people say, I find the walk off single hilarious
Yes, it's ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad