CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Edmonton's massive o-line is just completely mauling the Als defence. Fajardo looks rusty, no surprise
Edmonton is mediocre. The Als defensive line has been crap all season without Lemon. Als play caller is a ruining the offense. They can't run the ball. need to just go with passing plays to open up the defense for the run.

Last edited:

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
Was hoping for an Elks win to add some intrigue to the East standings. Since the RedBlacks are still rolling and aren't quite out of the running of first place as well as the Argos still sorta alive for top spot. It also would have made the West standings even more interesting, still though. That West race will come down to the bitter end.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
As expected the league screws over the Als. Why isn't the players union protesting? They will protect a scumbag Argo QB though.
I disagree that they are screwing over the Als. This is absolutely the right call. If it came out that Willie Jefferson or Zach Collaros were betting on their own games, I support an indefinite suspension the same way. Absolutely cannot allow that. And the union did protest, that's why he was able to play to start the year as the appeal process played out. Due to requests for delays to this appeal process (presumably Lemon thought he could drag out the appeal process long enough to play one final season) his suspension was re-instated in July, which again is the right call. Can't have players dragging appeals out all year so they can play an entire year with the appeal hanging over their heads when CFL is such a year to year type league.

The Kelly thing is trickier. NFL has let back in women beaters before, probably CFL as well albeit I'm blanking on any names off the top of my head. Most leagues in the world have let them in after suspensions. I know they suspended Messam indefinitely for some BS, but it was after he had already retired. NFL didn't even punish for Butker for saying women should be barefoot and pregnant and anything else is unnatural. Alot of this is always based on precedent and going above precedent usually requires things like CBA changes. So it becomes trickier for CFL to go to extremes with Kelly than it does with Lemon, IMO. Obviously I think Kelly got off SUPER light and would fully have supported a longer suspension, but it's more complicated than simply saying "this guy got that, but this other guy got THAT" when the scenario's are so different. Just so we're clear I hate what Kelly did and would have completely supported an indefinite suspension there as well, but I don't like that this has been brought up in relation to Lemon. It's a completely different scenario.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I disagree that they are screwing over the Als. This is absolutely the right call. If it came out that Willie Jefferson or Zach Collaros were betting on their own games, I support an indefinite suspension the same way. Absolutely cannot allow that. And the union did protest, that's why he was able to play to start the year as the appeal process played out. Due to requests for delays to this appeal process (presumably Lemon thought he could drag out the appeal process long enough to play one final season) his suspension was re-instated in July, which again is the right call. Can't have players dragging appeals out all year so they can play an entire year with the appeal hanging over their heads when CFL is such a year to year type league.

The Kelly thing is trickier. NFL has let back in women beaters before, probably CFL as well albeit I'm blanking on any names off the top of my head. Most leagues in the world have let them in after suspensions. I know they suspended Messam indefinitely for some BS, but it was after he had already retired. NFL didn't even punish for Butker for saying women should be barefoot and pregnant and anything else is unnatural. Alot of this is always based on precedent and going above precedent usually requires things like CBA changes. So it becomes trickier for CFL to go to extremes with Kelly than it does with Lemon, IMO. Obviously I think Kelly got off SUPER light and would fully have supported a longer suspension, but it's more complicated than simply saying "this guy got that, but this other guy got THAT" when the scenario's are so different.
I suspect they would have let Lemon play the season and then suspended him if he was on an Ontario team.
If he was betting on the Als to win it shouldn't matter since the players make nothing. If he was betting point spreads, Als to lose, any other game not involving the Als or any other exotic bets he should be booted for good though.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I am sure they would have let Lemon play the season and then suspended him if he was on an Ontario team.
If he was betting on the Als to win it shouldn't matter since the players make nothing. If he was betting point spreads, Als to loseany other game not involving the Als or any other exotic bets he should be booted for good though.
CFL min salary is 75k. I make less than that per year and I manage 90 people haha. Average salary in Canada is 54,630K. I wouldn't say players make "nothing". Lemon as a star pass rusher was making alot more than CFL min for a long time.

The betting the CFL could confirm was in 2021 when Lemon was playing with the Stampeders. He was betting on his own games as well as on other CFL games. I don't recall off hand if he bet on his team to win or not, but it really doesn't matter at all. You bet on your own games, you no longer play in the league. Hard line in the sand. Lemon even admitted he knew that it was against the rules, he was only trying to argue that since there was no defined punishment the CFL was too harsh. BS, IMO. After Pete Rose ignorance is no argument for professional athletes, IMO.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
CFL min salary is 75k. I make less than that per year and I manage 90 people haha. Average salary in Canada is 54,630K. I wouldn't say players make "nothing". Lemon as a star pass rusher was making alot more than CFL min for a long time.

The betting the CFL could confirm was in 2021 when Lemon was playing with the Stampeders. He was betting on his own games as well as on other CFL games. I don't recall off hand if he bet on his team to win or not, but it really doesn't matter at all. You bet on your own games, you no longer play in the league. Hard line in the sand. Lemon even admitted he knew that it was against the rules, he was only trying to argue that since there was no defined punishment the CFL was too harsh. BS, IMO. After Pete Rose ignorance is no argument for professional athletes, IMO.
You can make your pay for 20-30 years. CFL players might make money for 7-8 years. For those making near the minimum hopefully they have some way to make money when their football career is over.
With regard to Lemon why was he investigated and why is it 3 years later?

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Week 13 in the CFL and it's time for my favourite weekend of the year, Labour Day.

Ottawa (7-2-1) vs BC (5-6) Sat. 7PM ET (in Victoria, BC)
  • Not often we get to talk about a new locale for a CFL matchup, but Victoria will host this very important game being dubbed "Touchdown Pacific". The Lions are in the middle of a Western logjam while Ottawa will try to gain ground on idle Montreal in the East.
Winnipeg (5-6) at Saskatchewan (5-5-1) Sun. 7PM ET
  • The traditional rivalry games begin with this Prairie clash in Regina. For all the squawking that Rider fans have done recently, they'll still somehow first in the West, while the Bombers look to continue their recent resurgence.
Toronto (6-4) at Hamilton (2-9) Mon. 2:30PM ET
  • Things haven't been pretty in Hamilton this season and TiCat fans are hoping that winning this one can dig them out of the sewers. The Argos however have won on Labour Day the past two seasons.
Edmonton (3-8) at Calgary (4-6) Mon. 6PM ET
  • Once upon a time, the Battle of Alberta on Labour Day was the CFL's must see heavyweight matchup. Not so much nowadays as we have two teams finding new and interesting ways of tripping over themselves.
Bye Week - Montreal (10-1). The Alouettes have been cruising but their schedule down the stretch isn't super easy. A pair of games against Ottawa could really go a long way in determining who finishes where in the East.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Rourke has been crap so far,. Will he finally have a good game?

And Riders convert a 3rd and 10 because Campbell is a moron.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad