CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It’s ok, man. Hamilton has won it in your lifetime. Canada is in first place in concacaf qualifying eight games through fourteen. And fourth place plays a team at best seventy places behind Canada in the FIFA rankings. You have something much better to look forward to in the next half year.
Haha yeah there is still much to look forward to. Hopefully, the CMNT brings a win to Tim Horton's Field on Jan 30th.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Question is, was that the coach's call? Or was that the decision of the player? Regardless, he still should have run that ball out given the circumstance.
My guess is it was a coaching decision. Getting the ball to the 35 going against the wind was important to coach O there. Also no risk of a punt return turnover or anything like that.

It was the safe option and they opted for safety over the risk/reward of running it out.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
My guess is it was a coaching decision. Getting the ball to the 35 going against the wind was important to coach O there. Also no risk of a punt return turnover or anything like that.

It was the safe option and they opted for safety over the risk/reward of running it out.

My educated guess is that their main fear was that the extra 10 to 15 years given up by running the ball out could mean the difference between them making a field goal into the wind. So they give up the point for those extra yards and take their chances in overtime.

For me, overtime is a 50/50 coin toss. Whereas getting into field goal range to win the game outright seems like the much less risky option. But important, they were only 2 yards from the goal line with lots of room mitigating the risk of losing significant yards on a return.

I'm surprised this call isn't more controversial given the result.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
My educated guess is that their main fear was that the extra 10 to 15 years given up by running the ball out could mean the difference between them making a field goal into the wind. So they give up the point for those extra yards and take their chances in overtime.

For me, overtime is a 50/50 coin toss. Whereas getting into field goal range to win the game outright seems like the much less risky option. But important, they were only 2 yards from the goal line with lots of room mitigating the risk of losing significant yards on a return.

I'm surprised this call isn't more controversial given the result.
I see the logic but it's tough to predict. Maybe White only makes it to the 15-20 yard line and the ensuing drive becomes that much harder.

I think the more annoying single given up was the one that went over White's head because he was too high up the field. But hey, there were many plays I wish we could get a redo on.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ratings ended up HUGE for Grey Cup. Nearly 8 million, whats that around 22% of Canadians? Great game, i was expecting a Bombers blowout.

Cant wait to get back on the field to see the Bombers go for a 3peat!

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I think the more annoying single given up was the one that went over White's head because he was too high up the field. But hey, there were many plays I wish we could get a redo on.

Yeah that was bad. I don't understand why they would not have just taken that on the 35? it was outside of three minutes remaining.

Why allow the Bombers, who had the wind, kick it off to them after their score.

Kam Kelly's first interception I thought was going to the house, can't believe he didn't return that for 6.

Sergio Castillo (former Cat) was automatic all night. He was an excellent get at the trade deadline by the Bombers.

Oh well, maybe next year or maybe never for the Ticats. It's really difficult being a fan of this team. I think we will see a bunch of new faces on and off the field next year. The have a pretty extensive list of free agents and are likely to lose a few guys off their coaching staff and possibly one of their co-GM's will be leaving.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah that was bad. I don't understand why they would not have just taken that on the 35? it was outside of three minutes remaining.

Kam Kelly's first interception I thought was going to the house, can't believe he didn't return that for 6.

Sergio Castillo (former Cat) was automatic all night. He was an excellent get at the trade deadline by the Bombers.

Oh well, maybe next year or maybe never for the Ticats. It's really difficult being a fan of this team. I think we will see a bunch of new faces on and off the field next year. The have a pretty extensive list of free agents and are likely to lose a few guys off their coaching staff and possibly one of their co-GM's will be leaving.

To be fair every team in CFL is looking at a very extensive list of FA's.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Yup interesting decision there.

The interception is frustrating cause Kelly should have either just run around Collaros or trucked over him. Instead, he cuts inside, which still could have worked, and is tripped by his own player..... Such a Hamilton set of events.

In terms of the team. It's saddening thinking Simoni and Banks may not win a GC here or at all in their careers. I see them as the main core players of the Tim Hortons Field era and man it would have been nice to see them finally win and to do it on home soil...

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yup interesting decision there.

The interception is frustrating cause Kelly should have either just run around Collaros or trucked over him. Instead, he cuts inside, which still could have worked, and is tripped by his own player..... Such a Hamilton set of events.

In terms of the team. It's saddening thinking Simoni and Banks may not win a GC here or at all in their careers. I see them as the main core players of the Tim Hortons Field era and man it would have been nice to see them finally win and to do it on home soil...

I'm not going to add on cause I know what it's like to be on the other side of this. I am after all a Bomber fan and I know what it's like. The incredible choke job by Bombers in 01, the Glenn injury in 07, the dark years of Joe Mack. The only promise I can give you is that when you do finally break through it all feels worth it, 2019 was beyond special for me.

I can sympathize with you after I watched the CFL's all-time best WR in Milt Stegall play his whole career here in WPG and never win. But I have serious hate for both Simoni and Banks. Simoni moreso no doubt. So I don't feel that bad ;) Steinhauer is a great coach and there's certainly some players I feel bad for but definately not those two ;)

Yep, just like every year. They need to address this in the upcoming CBA.

Tough for fans to have favourites if guys can leave on a yearly basis.

It's worse this year though due to cancelled year and the reworking of deals to fit under cap for shortened 2021. Like the Bombers signed both Collaros and Jefferson for 2 years after 2019...and end up only getting the one year out of them. Bighill had a 3 year deal he lost a year on, then reworked the remaining 2 down to 1 and took a paycut to afford everyone else so is now FA. Pandemic has made it considerably worse than normal.

I don't disagree with you though on the turnover. Hopefully they do something to address that. I mean I literally just bought a Bombers jersey at the start of the month and I decided rather than bank on who might stay I got a player who has already left (Streveler) haha.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm not going to add on cause I know what it's like to be on the other side of this. I am after all a Bomber fan and I know what it's like. The incredible choke job by Bombers in 01, the Glenn injury in 07, the dark years of Joe Mack. The only promise I can give you is that when you do finally break through it all feels worth it, 2019 was beyond special for me.
I think part of the pain in this loss is just the fact that it happened at home for me. Would have been extra special to win it and see it in Hamilton. I guess we get another shot at that in 2023 but I'm not going to get my hopes up that we will be there again.

I'm sure if Hamilton were to win in Regina next year I won't care about the whole doing it at home thing. It was just such an amazing opportunity we had staring us in the face Sunday.... Sucks to miss out on it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
‘I can’t even see myself in another CFL jersey’: Ticats’ Brandon Banks wants to play entire career for Hamilton | 3DownNation

“I can’t even see myself in another CFL jersey. If I’m playing football next year, it will be with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. It’s not about money or nothing like that, I want to do what’s best for the organization to get them a Grey Cup,” Banks said.

“I don’t want to be the highest paid no more, someone else deserves that. I don’t want to be a vet that’s holding the organization up. I want them to get better and move forward. I think I still can play football, I still have some football in me, but who knows.”

This is promising. I don't think Banks will ever find his 2019 form again, however, if he is willing to sign on a cheap he could be a great 2 or 3 option.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
With changes apparently looming. What rules do you want to change? Which ones are untouchable? etc.

Everything mentioned in the tweet is untouchable for me. I would also add the rouge as it's a unique dynamic.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
CFL leadership is so f***ing clueless, man. How about instead of fixing a problem where there is none you actually learn how to market to people under the age of 50? Or make the league more accessible to expats/people who don't want cable? Or the fact there's an average of 35 guys per roster hitting free agency shortly.

No CFL fan wants 4 down ball. No non-CFL fan will give a shit if you turn the league into a watered down NFL ripoff that most of the country thinks it is already. MLSE can also **** right off since the rumors are they're the ones driving this conversation. If i want NFL style football, i'll watch the NFL.

God, can we have Mark Cohon back as commissioner? At least he cared about the product and left the league in really good health instead of the two dipshits that would come after him. Probably the last time i can remember a comissioner in any league being universally liked.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
wish the ratings were better but it's been a downward trend for years now. there is no need for 4 downs. just engage youth.

figure it out before the expos come back.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
wish the ratings were better but it's been a downward trend for years now. there is no need for 4 downs. just engage youth.

figure it out before the expos come back.

It was record setting ratings on streaming. Yes the league needs to work more on younger fans but its not as bad as its made it to be just the younger viewers are "hidden" because they are not using traditional viewing methods.

It was a good start with Arkells, IMO. Love that they are actual CFL fans as well, you could tell with the effort and excitement they put into the half time show. Then the lead singer could actually talk about the game during his interview. Much better than that ancient nobody with his ear splitting noise in 2019 who just went blank when asked a question 2019.

The most important thing, IMO, is to get the party back in football. Bombers used to skew very old back in 2000-2010. I was 11-21 in those years and they had section S, some families but memories of those eras was dominanted by 70 year olds sitting their with headphones on at live games listening to game on radio not even really cheering. Now after Wade Miller took over, they have massive parking lots where 1000's of ppl tailgate for hours before every game, the Bombers run a big pre-game party with a kids section and a licensed section, the Rum Hut end zone where its a party all game long. And the fans are young, excited, and rowdy. Thats how you sell an in game atmosphere. Sask is doing similiar with the Pill Zone, huge team run tailgate area.

Edm has none of that. Theres next to no parking, no party areas, few if any games for kids. Its all public transport from drop and go areas which is good, but also its just the game, nothing to sell an atmosphere. I dont have enough experience to comment on other places.

But like football objectively is a MUCH better game to watch on TV. Instant replays, analysis, no weather, cheap food/drink, no bathroom lines, etc. To sell an in game experience you need to sell the experience. The NFL and NCAA get that, its all day parties down there. Thats what the CFL needs to do everywhere.

Reactions: robertmac43

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Unless MLB is really stupid, the Expos are never coming back.
There's been plans for over two years and the Tampa owner has shown interest.
It was record setting ratings on streaming. Yes the league needs to work more on younger fans but its not as bad as its made it to be just the younger viewers are "hidden" because they are not using traditional viewing methods.

It was a good start with Arkells, IMO. Love that they are actual CFL fans as well, you could tell with the effort and excitement they put into the half time show. Then the lead singer could actually talk about the game during his interview. Much better than that ancient nobody with his ear splitting noise in 2019 who just went blank when asked a question 2019.

The most important thing, IMO, is to get the party back in football. Bombers used to skew very old back in 2000-2010. I was 11-21 in those years and they had section S, some families but memories of those eras was dominanted by 70 year olds sitting their with headphones on at live games listening to game on radio not even really cheering. Now after Wade Miller took over, they have massive parking lots where 1000's of ppl tailgate for hours before every game, the Bombers run a big pre-game party with a kids section and a licensed section, the Rum Hut end zone where its a party all game long. And the fans are young, excited, and rowdy. Thats how you sell an in game atmosphere. Sask is doing similiar with the Pill Zone, huge team run tailgate area.

Edm has none of that. Theres next to no parking, no party areas, few if any games for kids. Its all public transport from drop and go areas which is good, but also its just the game, nothing to sell an atmosphere. I dont have enough experience to comment on other places.

But like football objectively is a MUCH better game to watch on TV. Instant replays, analysis, no weather, cheap food/drink, no bathroom lines, etc. To sell an in game experience you need to sell the experience. The NFL and NCAA get that, its all day parties down there. Thats what the CFL needs to do everywhere.
Tailgating isn't as big in Canada, it is what it is. Especially now. I don't blame the CFL for that. Otherwise great post. With streaming, I'm guessing that includes Illegal streams as well. Fair, but this game was getting 6 million people 7-8 years ago. Now it's less than half. Just going by official attendance and seeing faces in the crowd, it's 50 plus. Get the kids to spend money.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
There's been plans for over two years and the Tampa owner has shown interest.
Tailgating isn't as big in Canada, it is what it is. Especially now. I don't blame the CFL for that. Otherwise great post. With streaming, I'm guessing that includes Illegal streams as well. Fair, but this game was getting 6 million people 7-8 years ago. Now it's less than half. Just going by official attendance and seeing faces in the crowd, it's 50 plus. Get the kids to spend money.

Nope, huge huge streaming numbers coming directly from TSN. Id be surprised if it wasnt at least 5-6 mil total. They dont publish numbers but it was a huge increase of 75%. I know alot of people that watched, i dont know a single one who watched on TSN cable outside of me. Theres a reason that the decrease in ratings was entirely in the 20-50 age bracket. These people arent gone, theyve shifted.

I was at every single Bomber game this year. It was about 40 the average age at worst. Most fans at the games are 30-50, with notable few sections of 18-25. You may not believe it, but its changing. On the prairies at least. 10-15 years average was like 55. Iirc correctly your from TO so maybe there the average age remains high but its not like that out west. But it used to be. And it can be changed, even in TOR, VAN, MTL, IMO.

Sask and Wpg were both hugely struggling and barely survived 20-25 years ago. Now they are model franchises. Why? Tailgating, parties, kids stuff, a whole gameday experience beyond the game. Thats what other teams need to emulate. I agree tailgating isnt the only thing obviously but its REALLY taken off here. 15 years ago there were pretty much 0 tailgaters at Bombers games (couldnt really at old stadium) now we get 2-3k per game and upwards of 5k at banjo bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melrose Munch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad