Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't see how the 50/50 split comes into play here at all. Because if it did, every player getting a contract now is essentially "taking" those $'s from another NHLPA member because NHLPA salaries exceed the 50% of HRR.

I do think it's fair for a goalie to stand up and say - "If I'm an elite player - I deserve to get paid like other elite players." If Swayman were to sign a "bargain" contract, that enables another GM to use that as a precedent for their own home-grown goalie talent. I'm not saying it's 100% altrustic, because JS is obviously benefitting as well. But I do think that there is certainly a "market impact" as well.
My entire point was he has every right to do this, but he can't claim he's doing it for anyone except himself.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
They’ll be fine for a long term, they have 8.6 million free with a 22 man roster, if need more room can send a guy down.
That room decreases as the season goes on which is what the person I was replying to was trying to say was a Swayman problem and not a Boston problem.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’m not talking about offer sheets. I’m saying you aren’t going to back him into a corner because of your cap situation and make him sign a team friendly deal long term because “woops didn’t have the space that’s your problem now”. He would just take a short 1 or 2 year deal and end up getting his pay day from someone at some point. So that is in fact not Swaymans problem lol

The Bruins have 8.5 in space (and can make it 9.5 by running 13F and 7D). But with how cap hits are calculated with people signing late, that space goes down every day he doesn’t sign. If Swayman wants to eat away at that space, so be it. It is leverage no matter how you want to paint it.

But, of course, this is all nonsense. Just obsessed leaf fans here instead of in the threads of all the other RFAs who haven’t signed yet. I mean shit, Swayman is literally already at the captains practices in Boston. It’s obviously not to the point where he is taking his bags and heading home. He is in Boston early.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The Bruins have 8.5 in space (and can make it 9.5 by running 13F and 7D). But with how cap hits are calculated with people signing late, that space goes down every day he doesn’t sign. If Swayman wants to eat away at that space, so be it. It is leverage no matter how you want to paint it.

But, of course, this is all nonsense. Just obsessed leaf fans here instead of in the threads of all the other RFAs who haven’t signed yet. I mean shit, Swayman is literally already at the captains practices in Boston. It’s obviously not to the point where he is taking his bags and heading home. He is in Boston early.
Just because I disagreed with your assertion that the Bruins losing cap space is a Swayman problem and not a Bruins problem doesn’t make me obsessed lmao grow up. At no point have I said I don’t think he will sign.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Just because I disagreed with your assertion that the Bruins losing cap space is a Swayman problem and not a Bruins problem doesn’t make me obsessed lmao grow up. At no point have I said I don’t think he will sign.

Not a swipe at you specifically, but where are the 15 pages on Raymond, Sieder, Jarvis (until recently) or Harley? This is all completely normal RFA trying to negotiate their big long term contract stuff.

Reactions: bert

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Not a swipe at you specifically, but where are the 15 pages on Raymond, Sieder, Jarvis (until recently) or Harley? This is all completely normal RFA trying to negotiate their big long term contract stuff.
I mean I agree but part of it is also life as a bigger market team along with Swayman probably being the most important/best player of that group unsigned.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
This goes to arbitration. Swayman wants the world and the Bruins aren't going to handcuff themselves.

A great time for a team that desperately needs netminding to offer Swayman what he wants and offer the Bruins an attractive package to get him.

But I think Boston forces the issue either way (he signs or arbitration) and gets a contract done.

Too late for that. The opportunity for arbitration came and went.

This. He will miss training camp/ start of season games if they don't agree to a contract.

If I am him it's a 2 year or 8 year deal.

2 years at like 6 or 7 million then have UFA to get the deal needed.

Or 8 years at a good enough number.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
"a person, country, organization, etc, that declines to cooperate or participate"

Dictionary.com | Meanings & Definitions of English Words

holdout​

1 of 2

noun

hold·out ˈhōld-ˌau̇t

: one that holds out (as in negotiations)

Definition of HOLDOUT

Just because some sports fans put a qualifier on the definition, it doesn't nullify the real-world definition.
For me a hold out, was Yashin, who had a contract and wanted more money. I don’t consider a hold out, when someone doesn’t have a contract.

Reactions: joestevens29

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This. He will miss training camp/ start of season games if they don't agree to a contract.

4 year deal as a compromise to take him to the same age Helly and Saros got their big retirement deals. There is no way he gets 6 or 7 on a deal that is only buying RFA years.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
4 year deal as a compromise to take him to the same age Helly and Saros got their big retirement deals. There is no way he gets 6 or 7 on a deal that is only buying RFA years.

I think Swayman has a lot of leverage since they traded Ullmark.

We will see what he does. I get it. Goalies have been getting semi screwed as of late during the salary process when they are super important.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think Swayman has a lot of leverage since they traded Ullmark.

We will see what he does. I get it. Goalies have been getting semi screwed as of late during the salary process when they are super important.

I mean if he can go find an offer sheet that someone will offer knowing the Bruins will match, cool. I don't see why folks think the fact that the Bruins traded their other #1 goalie makes this different than the 95% of contract negotiations with goalies when the team didn't previously have two #1 goalies.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Absolutely zero motivation from his agent to do that. Makes sense from the teams pov though.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
If he wants to future proof himself
Maybe he should take $5mill this year, $6 the next, $8 through years 3-5 then $9-10 years 6-8

Average is still gonna be pretty close to $8/year over 8 years…

Guys not really worth $8mill next season. As others have mentioned, never played more than 44 Games & wants to be one of the top paid goalies.
I dunno. Unless the Bruins are trying to get him at $6mill/8 years I don’t really see what the hold up is

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Absolutely zero motivation from his agent to do that. Makes sense from the teams pov though.

Connor Hellebuyck had a three year ELC and then signed a one year deal. Just like Swayman.

When that contract expired, Hellebuyck had been a Vezina runner up, and has started over 60 games twice and 50 games once. Much more proven than Swayman.

He signed a 6x6.2 deal which is about a 6x6.8 deal in today's dollars.

Juuse Saros signed a 3x1.5 deal coming out of his ELC. Coming out of that deal he was 26 (one year older than Swayman). He had never started more than 40 games (although that was in a 56 game season in which he came in 6th in the Vezina voting). He signed a 4x5m deal under a 81.5m cap (around 5.4m AAV today).

Shesterkin signed a 4x5.6 deal coming out of his ELC. He had one year of being the starter under his belt and everyone knew he was the best up and coming goalie on the planet.

Swayman finished 7th in the Vezina last year (only starting 44 of 82 games) with a very good two rounds in the playoffs.

I think its fair to say he has an equal or worse resume than those guys did when they signed their deals.

The Bruins want 8 years, but they probably won't get it, but I think your reasoning is very poor given that every other agent here did a deal in the 4-6 year range as the compromise with only Helly getting in the 6-7 AAV range by giving up 4 UFA years.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Connor Hellebuyck had a three year ELC and then signed a one year deal. Just like Swayman.

When that contract expired, Hellebuyck had been a Vezina runner up, and has started over 60 games twice and 50 games once. Much more proven than Swayman.

He signed a 6x6.2 deal which is about a 6x6.8 deal in today's dollars.

Juuse Saros signed a 3x1.5 deal coming out of his ELC. Coming out of that deal he was 26 (one year older than Swayman). He had never started more than 40 games (although that was in a 56 game season in which he came in 6th in the Vezina voting). He signed a 4x5m deal under a 81.5m cap (around 5.4m AAV today).

Shesterkin signed a 4x5.6 deal coming out of his ELC. He had one year of being the starter under his belt and everyone knew he was the best up and coming goalie on the planet.

Swayman finished 7th in the Vezina last year (only starting 44 of 82 games) with a very good two rounds in the playoffs.

I think its fair to say he has an equal or worse resume than those guys did when they signed their deals.

The Bruins want 8 years, but they probably won't get it, but I think your reasoning is very poor given that every other agent here did a deal in the 4-6 year range as the compromise with only Helly getting in the 6-7 AAV range by giving up 4 UFA years.
Yeah Swayman’s agent will just point to Rask and wait. Got all the leverage and precedent.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010

You’re probably right, and I don’t think Boston likes the caphits associated to the 2 yr and 8 yr deals which is why there is a snag. Can’t say as I blame them. I think Boston would like it to be in the 4.5-5 mil per for a 2 yr deal

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
And yet there's still a 50/50 split between owners and players. It all comes down to how it's distributed at this point. I suppose you can argue he's "looking out for" a select few other elite players, which effectively takes away from others. So helping a few to "hurt" most others.

See above. He's not being altruistic.
He's specificley talking about other goalie's. Not sure what you find so disingenuous about him not wanting to have his contract be used by a GM to squeeze the next goalie looking for a new deal.

Just like everyone told oilers fans Drai will put himself first and not only did he not take a discount, he got the max signing bonus available making it buyout proof along with a full NMC the entire 8 years.

He didn't take one consession.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad