OT: The Avalounge: Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
For day to day stuff... I totally get the appeal of an auto. Even drag racing they are better. There isn't much better than rowing gears up a mountain road though... if only my best car for that wasn't so damn obnoxious...

Even for day to day stuff I really don't hate having a manual. Granted I've never driven an auto so there's that.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Can anybody recommend a classic novel for me? As disturbing as possible.

I'm trying to get back on the horse and read prose in English.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
I got to say, it was a bit of a... cathartic experience. My grandpa taught me how to drive manual when I was 16. He had this old, beat up 1970 pickup (toyota if I remember correctly) that was bright yellow with a rickety old ladder attached to some scaffolding haphazardly built into the bed. It was by far the most recognizable vehicle in the town I was born in (40k or so in Cali). So yeah, a lot of memories flooded back to me yesterday.

I miss that truck, a shame the state took it away. For the best I guess. On a slightly related note, I'm bringing the Tesla avatar back.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Can anybody recommend a classic novel for me? As disturbing as possible.

I'm trying to get back on the horse and read prose in English.

Depends on your definition of classic. There's always H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" if you want some ****ed up material. For a more modern tone/style of writing, I recommend "The Long Walk" by Stephen King (under the alias Richard Bachman). It's one of the most existentially chilling things I've ever read. Nothing even supernatural about it, just a deeply disturbing near-future dystopia.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Depends on your definition of classic. There's always H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" if you want some ****ed up material. For a more modern tone/style of writing, I recommend "The Long Walk" by Stephen King (under the alias Richard Bachman). It's one of the most existentially chilling things I've ever read. Nothing even supernatural about it, just a deeply disturbing near-future dystopia.

I was thinking something a little less out-there. Perhaps a psychological novel or some such.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I was thinking something a little less out-there. Perhaps a psychological novel or some such.

Well, The Long Walk would still fall under that category. It's nothing supernatural or anything, just a very dark, disturbing window into a dystopia.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

check out Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s book Slaughterhouse-Five

not exactly psychological, just really good. Satirical war novel. If you want something a little heavier The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien is a really good war book, a memoir of sorts.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Never mind.

EDIT: Said A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess but then I realized it has been a long time since I read that book and it was hard enough for me as a native english speaker :laugh:

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hell House by Richard Matheson

Too minor to find in a Finnish library in English.

Anything by E.A. Poe.

I got a story collection of his. We'll see.

I also got something by Bret Easton Ellis. We'll see if it's any good.

not exactly psychological, just really good. Satirical war novel. If you want something a little heavier The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien is a really good war book, a memoir of sorts.

I could check out Slaughterhouse Five. Thanks. The other one I can't find in a library.

Never mind.

EDIT: Said A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess but then I realized it has been a long time since I read that book and it was hard enough for me as a native english speaker :laugh:

Sounds like a challenge! We'll see if I get into this. Lotsa time in the summer but I haven't been a very active reader before. Thought I'd look into some literature again and wake up the ol' passive vocabulary a bit before I start English studies next fall. God knows what that's going to be like.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Never mind.

It might actually be easier for a non-English speaker with the nadsat used.

2 concerts over the past 3 days after 3 days of debauchery in Vegas... I'm a used up old man today... :help:

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Cormac McCarthy is also seen by many as one of the greatest literature writers of this era. Several of his books have been made into movies in the last decade. All the Pretty Horses, Blood Meridian, The Road, No Country for Old Men are all solid books

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Cormac McCarthy is also seen by many as one of the greatest literature writers of this era. Several of his books have been made into movies in the last decade. All the Pretty Horses, Blood Meridian, The Road, No Country for Old Men are all solid books

My favorite book of his, but my god is it brutal...

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

The Things They Carried is SO heavy, but really, really powerful. I second Slaughterhouse Five too, that's an awesome read.

I tend to read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi, so most of what I read may not be easy to find in an international library. You might also look into Neuromancer by William Gibson. It was a foundational book in cyberpunk sci-fi, and may be available to you.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
The more it goes on, the less idea I have of what is going on... I'm getting pretty anxious for Coop to get back to normal. I figured it would have happened by now, but it seems to be dragging a bit too long for me. I'm hoping his staring at the Bowie statue snaps him out of it.

To me, the Jacoby arc seems to be comic relief as much as anything else. Maybe there is a twist there (what am I saying... this is Lynch), but it seems that way.

SOMETHING has to snap him out of it! I'm already tired of Coop being like this, haha. At this point, I'm just hoping he gets back to his usual self by the end of this season. I wouldn't be able to take waiting for a new season while knowing that this is what Coop will be like for the time being.

I have a feeling that everything will all tie together somehow at the end. Not sure how, and not sure why, but I think everything we're seeing is going to play a role in the end.

Also - Amanda Seyfried is definitely going to be Laura Palmer 2.0. Bummer for her, but I guess Lynch can't let the Laura Palmer mythos die.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Totally. The second I saw she was on the cast list, I knew she'd be the new Laura.

Ahh, well, I can't complain. The Laura Palmer mystery is what pulled me deep into the series in the first place. I just REALLY hope her fate isn't the same the original Laura Palmer's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad