Rogers buys out Bell’s stake in MLSE (37.5%, US$3.5B)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I dunno, I’m not at all versed in Seattle politics but it would be surprising if the city invested over a billion in renovating Key (may as well call it a new build) and attracting an NHL franchise only to have a private party swoop in with an NBA team and build an even bigger arena as a direct competitor. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, but it would be a crazy scenario.

Seems much more likely that if he were willing to relocate the Clippers, the city would have simply included him in plans for the Key rebuild and given the usual sweetheart incentives to get an additional team in there.

I’d love to have been a fly on the wall in Ballmer’s office as all these events played out. There must have been a million scenarios on the table and a lot of twists and turns we’ll never know about.
Ballmer bought the Clippers in 2014 which may before the whole renovate Key Arena came into play and there was an MOU for a basketball arena in SODO. That MOU didn't cover a situation where the NHL came first and that's what eventually killed that deal. Hansen, Balmer, and the rest of the group had no interest in hockey. If they did they probably would have gotten an NHL team in 2015 along with Vegas. Or if they had paired up with whoever was lined up to buy the Coyotes in 2013 if Glendale didn't approve the IceArizona deal.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Does the league consider this an ownership change that needs to be approved by the BOG people?
Yes. It needs to be approved by the BOGs of the NHL, NBA, MLS, and CFL But I honestly can't see there being any issues.

Do you have some reason to think there would be issues?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad