OT: The Avalounge: Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
the two openers on that Kobra and the Lotus/Xandria concert last night were excruciatingly bad.

Headliners were great, but I ended up being there like 5 hours. Openers were not necessary or appreciated

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
the two openers on that Kobra and the Lotus/Xandria concert last night were excruciatingly bad.

Headliners were great, but I ended up being there like 5 hours. Openers were not necessary or appreciated

I liked Once Human, but the local opener was garbage incarnate. At best, they were below average.

I was parked right at the stage on the far left for Kobra and Xandria.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I liked Once Human, but the local opener was garbage incarnate. At best, they were below average.

I was parked right at the stage on the far left for Kobra and Xandria.

Very rarely do I find growling vocals remotely enjoyable, and certainly not last night. At least Once Human was competent on their instruments.

Truly baffling choices to go with the dark growling openers for the soft operatic vocals in Xandria and the driving clean vocals in Kobra.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I got admitted to an English minor program and I'm going to be an English teacher now too. :dumbo:

Is becus I knows the Inglish so gut.

Congratulations! Your English skills are top notch, you'll do well.

Meanwhile I has almsot good Englisch skils :laugh:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Very rarely do I find growling vocals remotely enjoyable, and certainly not last night. At least Once Human was competent on their instruments.

Truly baffling choices to go with the dark growling openers for the soft operatic vocals in Xandria and the driving clean vocals in Kobra.

I can go for harsh vocals sometimes. Maybe 30% of my music is made up of that. But yeah, it's always an odd mix when you get that happening.

A lot of times, local promoters who don't know what they're doing will book bands that don't fit at all in front of power metal tours. "Oh, this is metal, that should go well with this other metal band". It sucks for the fans and the bands who have to play. I once saw a tough-guy hardcore band open for Rhapsody of Fire. You could just feel the audience hating every minute of it. Must have been miserable for the guys on stage, too.

Oddly enough, I met one of the guitarists for the first band at Hammerfall. He has good taste in music, I'm glad I didn't end up seeing him after the show and having to lie about how good the set was.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Who was there?

In the Springs we had:

2 nobody bands (Dying Blynd and One Way to Live) -- meh
Once Human -- put on a helluva show. Fun!
Kobra and the Lotus -- Fantastic!
Xandria -- Good, but they needed to turn the guitars up. The drums, bass, and vocals completely drowned out the guitars.

Had front row. Got a guitar pick from each of the known bands.
Met Kobra Paige and Lauren Hart. Really nice. Got autographs.

Gonna see Once Human again next month.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Anyone here ever been up to the Breckenridge Beaver Run Resort? Looking to do a Spartan Race there in August. Elevation might kill me but why not right. :laugh:

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Who was there?

In the Springs we had:

2 nobody bands (Dying Blynd and One Way to Live) -- meh
Once Human -- put on a helluva show. Fun!
Kobra and the Lotus -- Fantastic!
Xandria -- Good, but they needed to turn the guitars up. The drums, bass, and vocals completely drowned out the guitars.

Had front row. Got a guitar pick from each of the known bands.
Met Kobra Paige and Lauren Hart. Really nice. Got autographs.

Gonna see Once Human again next month.

The openers were Once Human and One Way to Live.

You couldn't pay me to see them again.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I was able to finish The Name of the Wind quite a bit ahead of schedule, to all those with whom I was speaking about this previously. And all I can really say is: wow. Just...wow. That book has catapulted itself into my top-5 favorite books ever already. The way it's written is unbelievable - Rothfuss was able to intertwine so many different minor events into such an incredible overarching story. It seems like nothing was forgotten in his execution. I am very envious of him as a writer, and I can only hope that reading his series will further my writing abilities.

Oh, and the new episodes of Twin Peaks are great, if there are any fellow fans of the show on here.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Esme Patterson killed last night. Absolutely great show! :yo:

That's a show I wish I could have gone too! I was at Elephant Revival at Red Rocks instead. They were awesome but the surprise standout to me was Mandolin Orange. They were phenomenal.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I missed out on it last night because of a concert, but I've been blacklisted by a few friends until I watch all 4. :laugh:

That's totally understandable :laugh:. None of my friends that I've showed the series to have taken to it, and my girlfriend told me last night, of all times, that she doesn't like the show. So I'm on my own in getting through this next season.

I only managed to watch the first two last night. I'm about to start episodes 3 & 4 right now, actually. You'll have to let me know what you think once you get through the first 4.

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
I had a super weird dream last night. As a security member of a scientific team we landed our shuttle on a newly discovered planet and some bee got stuck in my hair and I kept quiet. When we came back to the space ship all hell broke loose because of that thing and our squad leader got accused it's his fault for bringing alien species on board. The sad thing was...the squad leader was Ed Harris

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
I had a super weird dream last night. As a security member of a scientific team we landed our shuttle on a newly discovered planet and some bee got stuck in my hair and I kept quiet. When we came back to the space ship all hell broke loose because of that thing and our squad leader got accused it's his fault for bringing alien species on board. The sad thing was...the squad leader was Ed Harris

How did the bee land in your hair? Were you not wearing a space helmet?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's totally understandable :laugh:. None of my friends that I've showed the series to have taken to it, and my girlfriend told me last night, of all times, that she doesn't like the show. So I'm on my own in getting through this next season.

I only managed to watch the first two last night. I'm about to start episodes 3 & 4 right now, actually. You'll have to let me know what you think once you get through the first 4.

I broke down and watched the first 3 episodes last night. The series is definitely not the same... holy crap it got dark, in a good way too. I found myself muttering WTF? on more than a few occasions. Trying to avoid spoilers, but I'm very curious with where this story is going. I have a basic thought, of the premise... but this is David Lynch. I guarantee I will be completely wrong.

Also, it might be the most beautifully shot TV show I have ever seen. The camera work is utterly phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad