OT: The Avalounge: Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I missed all the metal talk earlier but I hit the Delain/Hammerfall show at the Gothic a couple weeks back and I will be at the Kobra and the Lotus/Xandria show Thursday night. Wish I could squeeze Sabaton in there but I just can't.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
DEATHNOTE. Oh God I used to love that show as a kid.

This thread is seriously lacking some Good Charlotte though.

The throwbacks, Good Charlotte was easily my favorite band when I was in elementary and middle school. Wow haven't that name in forever.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I missed all the metal talk earlier but I hit the Delain/Hammerfall show at the Gothic a couple weeks back and I will be at the Kobra and the Lotus/Xandria show Thursday night. Wish I could squeeze Sabaton in there but I just can't.

I was at that show! I had forgotten how good Hammerfall was, haven't seen them live in a very long time. Hopefully I can make it to Xandria, it depends on if I can get time off work. If I have to choose between that and Amon Amarth, I'm seeing AA. I've missed them the last 4 tours now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oh yeah, they're from Fort Collins, right? They're awesome. One of the few pure death metal bands I can get fully behind.
Yeah, saw them once and they rocked. Not a huge Death Metal guy either, worst elitism fans and all the songs sound the same.

I raise with

Btw, bought tickets to Metallica concert! My second timr seeing 'em, I'm excited.

Zetsubou Billy is an effin awesome song, but neither are my favourite by MTH. This is mine...

Metallica is pretty much a neutered band now. They died long time ago.

DEATHNOTE. Oh God I used to love that show as a kid.

This thread is seriously lacking some Good Charlotte though.
Same, but my brother never watched it so we finally finished the series last week.

From watching it again; unbelievable show.

Good Charlotte isn't metal. I don't mind them, but its a band for high schoolers who don't know how to handle emotions. For Pop-Scenic-Rock I like Bowling for Soup.

But I can't listen to this genre very long, it's so basic it becomes boring. Only power cords. Unwritten Law is another good band in that genre.

I think we have a weird metal crowd here. Lots of fans of rather obscure Nordic (style) power metal and stuff.
It's more confusing how a dude from Finland doesn't like Viking, Pagan, or Power Metal. :sarcasm:

Finland is up there with Germany as one of the few countries producing freakin' awesome bands.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It's more confusing how a dude from Finland doesn't like Viking, Pagan, or Power Metal. :sarcasm:

Finland is up there with Germany as one of the few countries producing freakin' awesome bands.

You know who do like those metal genres here? Nerds. All the really nerdy PC gamer guys, many of whom are in secondary school. It's also highly likely that those people own hoodies or t-shirts of said bands.

Some of the Finnish bands I don't mind are Santa Cruz, HIM and Children of Bodom.

Amorphis has one decent song. Nightwish has a couple, same with Apocalyptica. Disco Ensemble is okay, I guess. Stam1na and Mokoma have a few okay songs if you wanna hear Finnish. In fact, let's hear some.

Last edited:

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
"Ain't no sunshine when she's gone" seems appropriate :laugh:

Where'd she move in North Cackalacky? there are some pretty cool parts down here. Maybe you could make a trip out of it?

I picked that song for a reason. :cry:

She'll be in Chapel Hill for law school which is pretty cool. I'm visiting NC twice in the next few months. Once for a family vacation (which she will be out of the country for) and then for a wedding in September. She is planning on coming to the wedding and for me to spend a couple extra days hanging out, but that is still many months out.

I'd like to visit Asheville when I'm out in September too. I really want to see that area of NC.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
You know who do like those metal genres here? Nerds. All the really nerdy PC gamer guys, many of whom are in secondary school. It's also highly likely that those people own hoodies or t-shirts of said bands.

Some of the Finnish bands I don't mind are Santa Cruz, HIM and Children of Bodom.

Amorphis has one decent song. Nightwish has a couple, same with Apocalyptica. Disco Ensemble is okay, I guess. Stam1na and Mokoma have a few okay songs if you wanna hear Finnish. In fact, let's hear some.

Are you mocking my Metallica and Iron maiden t-shirt collections?

Nightwish is great. A LOT of great material.

Stamina and Mokoma both have some decent songs, especiallt Stamina.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Are you mocking my Metallica and Iron maiden t-shirt collections?

Nightwish is great. A LOT of great material.

Stamina and Mokoma both have some decent songs, especiallt Stamina.

That's not the right kind of nerd. I knew a dude who had this hoodie. This fits the bill.

41DlUWW3rvL.jpg

Nightwish has a few decent songs. I like Nemo still. HIM and Santa Cruz are easily my favorite Finnish rock bands.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Stamina and Mokoma but as far as Finnish singing, I've got nothing else worth mentioning. Some fast weird lyrics for showcasing that too, like on the Viimeinen Atlantis album. Unfortunately my favorite Mokoma song, Kasvot kohti itää, got deleted from YouTube. This one is still there though. :laugh:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There is nothing wrong about nerds. What I mean is if they want to play 9 hours of WOW a day, let them, it's a free world now.

I was just joking around overall, but that's crazy to hear because here in the NA it's almost the exact opposite. Dudes who love those genres are gamers no doubt, but I don't know one who is in higher education. All they do are dead-end jobs, go to those festivals, and live normal lives with their collection of hoodies and black shirts where you can't read the bands name. :laugh:

I will admit I do love Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius (their new stuff is awesome), Moonsorrow, Wintersun, Nightwish (only with Tarja), and Korpiklaani.

You can always listen to this to get you in a good mood.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
There is nothing wrong about nerds. What I mean is if they want to play 9 hours of WOW a day, let them, it's a free world now.

I was just joking around overall, but that's crazy to hear because here in the NA it's almost the exact opposite. Dudes who love those genres are gamers no doubt, but I don't know one who is in higher education. All they do are dead-end jobs, go to those festivals, and live normal lives with their collection of hoodies and black shirts where you can't read the bands name. :laugh:

Oh, I didn't mean smart nerds, just gamers.

Haven't heard any new Stratovarius. Their old hit songs are a blast from the past.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oh, I didn't mean smart nerds, just gamers.

Ah okay. Curious what is secondary school in Finland? I thought that meant graduate school, but it seems like it's thug school or something as you say they're not "smart".

E: Check out Dragons, Deep Unknown, Halcyon Days, and my personal favourite Man in the Mirror.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The metal scene is a bit different in the US. By and large, it's big tough guys who are into the death, black, and -core genres. The power metal fans who are into the European stuff are all giant nerds though, in some communities there's a stigma attached to it if you're not a fan of the hard stuff.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I think we have a weird metal crowd here. Lots of fans of rather obscure Nordic (style) power metal and stuff.

I love symphonic metal most of all. Within Temptation, Tarja solo, Nightwish, Delain, etc.

And just female fronted metal/hard rock in general. In This Moment, Unleash the Archers, Kobra and the Lotus, Lacuna Coil, Huntress, Halestorm, The Pretty Reckless, etc.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I love symphonic metal most of all. Within Temptation, Tarja solo, Nightwish, Delain, etc.

And just female fronted metal/hard rock in general. In This Moment, Unleash the Archers, Kobra and the Lotus, Lacuna Coil, Huntress, Halestorm, The Pretty Reckless, etc.

Are you familiar with Dark Sarah? It's a solo project by Amberian Dawn's old singer. I've been obsessed with it since their first album came out.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
My bike got stolen today :rant:

My fault for leaving it on my property unlocked but I'm still bummed. Filed a police report and I'll be spending tomorrow walking around town looking for it and going to pawn shops.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I picked that song for a reason. :cry:

She'll be in Chapel Hill for law school which is pretty cool. I'm visiting NC twice in the next few months. Once for a family vacation (which she will be out of the country for) and then for a wedding in September. She is planning on coming to the wedding and for me to spend a couple extra days hanging out, but that is still many months out.

I'd like to visit Asheville when I'm out in September too. I really want to see that area of NC.

Yeah both sides of NC are pretty cool although the middle is kind of boring. Chapel Hill is supposed to be pretty cool, though. I live about 2 hours from A-ville and go there all the time. I'd definitely recommend it.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Are you familiar with Dark Sarah? It's a solo project by Amberian Dawn's old singer. I've been obsessed with it since their first album came out.

I could only stomach the first minute of this song, but it reminded me of the Count Dracula song from Forgetting Sarah Marshall :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad