OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The thing with romanticizing war and soldiers is that, especially in Sweden that has had 200 years of peace, it's usually reserved for right wing nuts, skinheads and racists. So Sabaton will regularly get lumped in with groups like that.

We don't have a history fetish in Sweden and we don't like to brag about warrior kings, empires and conquest. If there are dreams about the glory days of the country it's more about the welfare state of the 20th century.

So for being a Swedish band, Sabaton is really weird. I just can't understand why any Swedish band would be war romantics unless they are a White Power music act.

I'd understand it if they were being ironic, because that's something we love. Making fun on things by appropriating it, but from my understanding Sabaton aren't being ironic.
Well I think it depends on the cognitive processes here, you're seeing Sabaton as a Swedish metal band that talks about war, while McMetal probably see's a metal band that sings about war which by chance comes from Sweden. There are worst bands from Sweden which talk about killing people and viking crusades to pillage the UK like ...

Top right corner under lyrical themes
Amon Amarth - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives
Bloodbath - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives
Dissection - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Along with Satanism
Ghost - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

But because Sabaton is semi-popular across Europe and USA they tend to get targeted for some weird reason. Especially considering that Ghost and Amon Amarth sing about worst off topics. Maybe worse topics bring in worse people which are too insignificant to mention. I don't know in the end, but Ghost for example have won Grammys and have a very decent following.

As for the bold, that's good considering how you guys screwed Poland for practically the entire middle ages. :sarcasm:

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Many of their songs are inspired by Finnish war heroics. A good example is White Death, a song about a famous sniper called Simo Häyhä.
Soldier of Three Armies is also about a Finn, Lauri Törni. They sing about Polish, Russian, American, Greek, Scottish, German, and Belgian soldiers/battles too, among many others.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Can we get a new thread OP here, can't let a guy with a sig "I hate Joe Sakic" making threads on an Avs forums. As a die hard Vancouver Canucks fan and love of everything British Columbia I can not let someone slander B.C god Sakic.
Friendly reminder that when I started this it was absolutely not my intention that the thread carry on like this.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Which djent song? ;-)

Yes, early Gothenburg metal, about Eucharist on Spotify:
ijdebwihxblhtre.jpg
Djent is just another name for heavy (low sounding) instrumental songs, so I was referring to The Eucharist song.

That's a damn good cover song also.

Ooh Dark Tranquility. I haven't listened a lot of that band but because of the song "Cathode Ray Sunshine" I have listened that whole album where "Final Resistance" also is. I heart Cathode Ray Sunshine in a Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory frag video when I was like 12 years old and i have loved it since :laugh:

Have you listened to In Flames? That's an incredible band. Here is a great sample of their production:

As I mentioned before, I am not a huge Gothenburg fan. I think 90% of it is just noise, but I will be honest as well, I quite enjoyed that Cathode Ray Sunshine song. I do like In Flames, not their entire discography, but here is probably my favourite song by them...

Reactions: Murzu

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Well I think it depends on the cognitive processes here, you're seeing Sabaton as a Swedish metal band that talks about war, while McMetal probably see's a metal band that sings about war which by chance comes from Sweden. There are worst bands from Sweden which talk about killing people and viking crusades to pillage the UK like ...

Top right corner under lyrical themes
Amon Amarth - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives
Bloodbath - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives
Dissection - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Along with Satanism
Ghost - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

But because Sabaton is semi-popular across Europe and USA they tend to get targeted for some weird reason. Especially considering that Ghost and Amon Amarth sing about worst off topics. Maybe worse topics bring in worse people which are too insignificant to mention.

As for the bold, that's good considering how you guys screwed Poland for practically the entire middle ages. :sarcasm:

I would think Ghost are being ironic. That's at least how I interpret them. Also, much of metal bands going down that path is a continuation of the 70s counter culture metal movement with Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath and so on where it's just empty symbolism and attempts to shock the mainstream.

Real satanist bands like Burzum are a very different thing and not particularly pleasant in any way.

I don't think Sabaton are being targeted in Sweden. They are just very odd for being Swedish. I think Swedes in general get the Ghost gimmick but not the Sabaton gimmick, if it makes sense.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Sabaton is horrible. I hate that song that goes: "...they would never comply, they would rather die..." It's the awful kind of catchy that you don't want to stick, and it's corny af.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Soldier of Three Armies is also about a Finn, Lauri Törni. They sing about Polish, Russian, American, Greek, Scottish, German, and Belgian soldiers/battles too, among many others.

Didn't know about that. When I wrote my previous post about Sabaton I was thinking about White Death and obviously a song called Talvisota (Winter War).

I have to admit that there are two Sabaton songs I like when I'm in a certain mood, those songs are Primo Victoria and Ghost Division. It's not a band I casually listen to. Oftentimes I still put an old Metallica album like Master Of Puppets or Ride The Lightning on the background whatever I'm doing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I would think Ghost are being ironic. That's at least how I interpret them. Also, much of metal bands going down that path is a continuation of the 70s counter culture metal movement with Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath and so on where it's just empty symbolism and attempts to shock the mainstream.

Real satanist bands like Burzum are a very different thing and not particularly pleasant in any way.

I don't think Sabaton are being targeted in Sweden. They are just very odd for being Swedish. I think Swedes in general get the Ghost gimmick but not the Sabaton gimmick, if it makes sense.
I get what you're saying, I do as well think it is just a gimmick concerning Ghost. However, we can say that Sabaton and their lyrical themes can be a gimmick as well, to bring attention about the band. What I mean is we keep talking about them similarly as we are talking about Ghost. I won't be biased though, as Ghost keeps propagandizing Satanism, Sabaton do propagandize war nontheless.

For the record I wouldn't have a clue nor care about Sabaton if it wasn't for my brother who loves power metal, but even himself prefers and loves this band called ReinXeed (which I think is also from Sweden). Now with all that said, I suggest that Sabaton is more about honouring soldiers and the legends built on the battlefield instead of supporting wars like warmongers or war-profiteers. Remember that majority of ancient historians besides some of the Greek were historians of major battles. We know more about past wars between Greek city-states than we know about the ancient Olympics for example. Ancient battlefields are still a huge part of archaeology today, especially in the Middle East, America, and Europe. Additionally, there is an archaeological/historian team which still go around Europe and keep finding soldier bodies in WWII battle-sites. It makes sense, to me, why a band in the power metal genre would be influenced by the fable or folklore tales of battle. Iced Earth is an American power metal band which have a whole concept album about famous battles such as Waterloo, Red Baron, Attila the Hun, Revolutionary War, and the Civil War. Besides being an amazing album, they talk about these famous battles in a historic concept. I am not too in tuned in what Sabaton talks about, but I guess it would be the same and something that doesn't really bother me (I might be wrong here though).

@McMetal No doubt dude, there are always those countrymen of any country which are bat**** crazy. I have a friend who loves death metal and he told me the story about the Mayhem vocalist and guitarist. That was nuts, but considering we're talking about black metal here, not surprising either.

Last edited:

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I get what you're saying, I do as well think it is just a gimmick concerning Ghost. However, we can say that Sabaton and their lyrical themes can be a gimmick as well, to bring attention about the band. What I mean is we keep talking about them similarly as we are talking about Ghost. I won't be biased though, as Ghost keeps propagandizing Satanism, Sabaton do propagandize war nontheless.

For the record I wouldn't have a clue nor care about Sabaton if it wasn't for my brother who loves power metal, but even himself prefers and loves this band called ReinXeed (which I think is also from Sweden). Now with all that said, I suggest that Sabaton is more about honouring soldiers and the legends built on the battlefield instead of supporting wars like warmongers or war-profiteers. Remember that majority of ancient historians besides some of the Greek were historians of major battles. We know more about past wars between Greek city-states than we know about the ancient Olympics for example. Ancient battlefields are still a huge part of archaeology today, especially in the Middle East, America, and Europe. Additionally, there is an archaeological/historian team which still go around Europe and keep finding soldier bodies in WWII battle-sites. It makes sense, to me, why a band in the power metal genre would be influenced by the fable or folklore tales of battle. Iced Earth is an American power metal band which have a whole concept album about famous battles such as Waterloo, Red Baron, Attila the Hun, Revolutionary War, and the Civil War. Besides being an amazing album, they talk about these famous battles in a historic concept. I am not too in tuned in what Sabaton talks about, but I guess it would be the same and something that doesn't really bother me (I might be wrong here though).

@McMetal No doubt dude, there are always those countrymen of any country which are bat**** crazy. I have a friend who loves death metal and he told me the story about the Mayhem vocalist and guitarist. That was nuts, but considering we're talking about black metal here, not surprising either.

You got my curiosity up with "the story about the Mayhem vocalist and guitarist". So I read up on it, and even watched a few videos of their live act.
Gotta say, I'm not impressed. It's nothing I haven't seen non-satan-worshippers do.
And I don't know that I believe a lot of the story(s) of what the guys did behind the scenes. I've heard too much BS over the years, I guess.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
@S E P H ReinXeed is awesome, very underrated band. Interestingly, their guitarist/singer is in Sabaton at the moment playing guitar.

There's lots of other great Swedish power metal too. Nocturnal Rites, Dream Evil, Tad Morose, Persuader, Bloodbound, Hammerfall, Wolf, Falconer, Dragonland... Probably more I can't remember right now. Power Metal has become my primary passion over the last 8-10 years, just so much fun. I'm a giant dork so it's right in my wheelhouse.

Reactions: Murzu

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Not sure where to post this but this looks like a good spot.

I am heading to Denver for the Wild game on March 2nd, looking at a place to go with my cousin before the game. I know he likes steak so I am thinking Columbine Steak House in terms of value and positive reviews, but after that is there a bar in the pepsi center or one close by to have a couple pre game drinks?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not sure where to post this but this looks like a good spot.

I am heading to Denver for the Wild game on March 2nd, looking at a place to go with my cousin before the game. I know he likes steak so I am thinking Columbine Steak House in terms of value and positive reviews, but after that is there a bar in the pepsi center or one close by to have a couple pre game drinks?

There’s a lot of options downtown for drinks. Blake Street Tavern is a huge sports bar that’s not to far. Avanti is a bar that’s pretty close and has a good selection of cocktails and beer and shouldn’t be super busy that early on a Friday. But it shouldn’t be hard to find a good bar around Denver. Depends on what you’re looking for though. Prefer beer or cocktails?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
put my house up for sale today

previous highest house in neighborhood was sold for $705K. I listed mine for $730k and I have 15 showings already scheduled in the next 24 hours. It's probably going to go to a competitive bid process.

Denver housing market is just crazy. I don't think my house is worth more than $700k at all.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t know how people afford to live in places like that. I mean, don’t you want to pay for more than just a house?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I don’t know how people afford to live in places like that. I mean, don’t you want to pay for more than just a house?

I gotta be honest - there's surely a breaking point for me. And I'm getting close to it. I just had a conversation with a coworker the other day. If this Amazon thing happens for Denver, I think I'm gone. It would probably be the final nail in the coffin for me. I'm ok with the whole Californian intrusion stuff even though I probably lean towards the "Get Off My Lawn" Republican style of life.....but Amazon and the further death of this city to traffic and inflation would likely push me over the edge. The reason I'm selling my house is that I just feel completely claustrophobic in a Denver suburb 15 mins from downtown...I'm going to be 45 mins outside of it now in Castle Pines...it still might not be far enough.

You can only watch your house price go so far up until one day you say "yeah I'm cashing out and going to BFE".....the weird thing is that California is pushing into Colorado and I feel like Colorado people are moving elsewhere. I've heard of a lot of folks (even natives) moving to Montana. Eventually we might all be coming your direction Hench :D

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Y'all stay the hell out of Wyoming! All the sayings of podunk and crappy are true! Nobody wants to live in Wyoming! NOBODY!!!

Reactions: Tweaky

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I disagree with the giveaways to Amazon, but I would be pretty stoked to have them in Denver, as it would be a huge step forward in turning the Denver area into a big tech market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad