OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How the hell have I missed this up until now? Amazing cover.

I can't stand Sabaton myself, too much nationalist lyrics and countless war influences for my liking, I have difficulties taking them seriously and the music is in a nowhere land, it's definitely not soft but not really heavy either. Wish you a very good show though, fun with some people enjoying metal here, Swedish metal! :)

I have mixed feelings for Amon Amarth too but at least some songs are really heavy. ;-)
What? Tell me if I am wrong, but I get that Sabaton talks a lot about war, however, those war songs just sing about those famous battles. Not only that, but majority of the wars/battles they talk about is practically in every history book such as the Napoleon conflict, WWII, the Revolutionary War, and similar. Haven't ever heard a song about modern day war. I am no Sabaton fan, but nationalist lyrics? Are they saying that Sweden is the best country on earth or something? Just curious.

The worst thing to come out of Sweden has to be Arch Enemy, omfg they're awful. Absolutely nothing about that band is good, especially her hair colour and how she thinks she's making a difference with stupid ideals (saw an interview one time and lost brain cells).

:laugh: nah, never had the Hipster look down. Though I still love beards even though they've ruined them. I can pretty much grow a beard overnight, if I shave in the morning by that night I already have some stubble coming in.
Beards are meh even before the hipster fad, I always liked hair and this has nothing to do with me not being able to grow one.:sarcasm:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
:laugh: nah, never had the Hipster look down. Though I still love beards even though they've ruined them. I can pretty much grow a beard overnight, if I shave in the morning by that night I already have some stubble coming in.

Wonder what that’s like lol.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I mean, Sabaton had the one album about Swedish history, maybe that's what he means? Other than that, most of the songs that aren't just straight history lyrics like Counterstrike and Midway are just about the bravery of the soldiers and all that. Not atypical of metal/power metal lyrical themes at all.

Some people even think the band has Nazi sympathies, which is ludicrous, just listen to The Final Solution and The Rise of Evil to see how they feel about the Nazi regime.

Also, I am officially too damn old for mosh pits. Messed up my knee a little bit tonight. Why do I always find myself in the exact middle of the wall of death?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Beards are meh even before the hipster fad, I always liked hair and this has nothing to do with me not being able to grow one.:sarcasm:

This is a bridge too far, SEPH! :rant: ( :sarcasm: )

I've had a beard, literally, since my sophomore year in High School. At first my parents didn't really like it, and I can't blame them as I was a 16 year old punk kid who didn't understand the need to take care of it. But now, as I've shaved it off for rare special occasions, they tell me they "vehemently don't like seeing me without one".

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's not just you, everyone loves Loki. Give credit to Tom Hiddleston, he clearly loves playing that character. He was the best part of the first Avengers film.

I agree they might be overdoing it on the comedy but it's in direct response to these other comic book movies that take themselves waaaay too seriously. It's a frickin' comic book, have fun with it. I really liked Ragnarok but didn't love it. My favorite part was that they had Jeff Goldblum play a major Marvel cosmic entity and he was just...Jeff Goldblum. :laugh:

Loki is pretty lit.... He's good and bad at the same time which is pretty relatable. LOL

Yeah, its just way too much IMO. Like pick a genre, I don't mind some comic relief... as it can be great at times. (see amazing spider man) but there needs to be a serious tone. I blame Iron Man and the Avengers movies.They're the worst.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Can we get a new thread OP here, can't let a guy with a sig "I hate Joe Sakic" making threads on an Avs forums. As a die hard Vancouver Canucks fan and love of everything British Columbia I can not let someone slander B.C god Sakic.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
What? Tell me if I am wrong, but I get that Sabaton talks a lot about war, however, those war songs just sing about those famous battles. Not only that, but majority of the wars/battles they talk about is practically in every history book such as the Napoleon conflict, WWII, the Revolutionary War, and similar. Haven't ever heard a song about modern day war. I am no Sabaton fan, but nationalist lyrics? Are they saying that Sweden is the best country on earth or something? Just curious.

The worst thing to come out of Sweden has to be Arch Enemy, omfg they're awful. Absolutely nothing about that band is good, especially her hair colour and how she thinks she's making a difference with stupid ideals (saw an interview one time and lost brain cells).

Arch Enemy: Yes, unfortunately I have a problem with the ways she sings (in the majority of the songs), the screamo type of singing. It's a woman screaming even more powerful than my wife... fun with more women in the metal scene though. Musically I like some of their songs and I love the drummer Erlandsson, fantastic drummer, world class. I love the band he played for when really young, "Eucharist", this is a hidden gem, rare. I believe Erlandsson was 16 when joining them, some songs are really good, different but in a good way, old-school/underground Swedish death metal vibes, low budget band.

Sabaton:
1. Too much war glorifying going on for my taste... ;-) (I'm aware of I shouldn't take it too serious...)
2. Musically they are in a nowhere land for me.

Back to Eucharist, the hidden gem featuring a very young Daniel Erlandsson (Arch Enemy) on drums.

Eucharist - Dissolving

Eucharist - Wounded and Alone

or this beautiful instrumental piece
Eucharist - "The Eucharist"

Last edited:

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I'm with @21 in this one. I cannot take Sabaton seriously for some reason. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be with that band. They do have two or three songs that I can listen and get pumped up even though I realize how ridiculous it might sound. :laugh: I've also seen them live before Iron Maiden gig.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sabaton is an ATF of mine. Last night was my 10th time seeing them and I will never get tired of it. They are just amazingly fun, and fun is the whole reason why I listen to metal. I wouldn't say they glorify war really either. Cliffs of Gallipoli, A Lifetime of War, Purple Heart, and The Price of a Mile are about the costs of war and how senseless it can be.

I love Arch Enemy too. Their new album is pretty lame, but Michael Amott is one of my favorite guitarists and while their discography goes up and down a bit, I've been a fan for a very long time. Eucharist is another hidden gem of Swedish Metal too, very underrated band.

If we're talking Swedish melodeath though, Dark Tranquillity is where it's at. Amazingly consistent band, not a bad album in their entire history.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is a bridge too far, SEPH! :rant: ( :sarcasm: )

I've had a beard, literally, since my sophomore year in High School. At first my parents didn't really like it, and I can't blame them as I was a 16 year old punk kid who didn't understand the need to take care of it. But now, as I've shaved it off for rare special occasions, they tell me they "vehemently don't like seeing me without one".
16 year old punk who liked The Beatles? Or was this during your Bad Religion, Suicidal Tendencies, The Germ, and D.R.I. faze? You know the "death to society, rise to anarchy" faze every young male teen goes through?
:sarcasm:

@S E P H that guy has a lot of great anime covers. This is one of my favourites:

I gotta be honest, not a huge fan of One-Punch Man's opening song, the ending with the alarm clock on the other hand is unbelieveable. I love that Pokemon cover, but my favourite from Young still has to be Maximum the Hormone What's Up People English version. Sucks he only made one minute and a couple seconds version of it.

Arch Enemy: Yes, unfortunately I have a problem with the ways she sings (in the majority of the songs), the screamo type of singing. It's a woman screaming even more powerful than my wife... fun with more women in the metal scene though. Musically I like some of their songs and I love the drummer Erlandsson, fantastic drummer, world class. I love the band he played for when really young, "Eucharist", this is a hidden gem, rare. I believe Erlandsson was 16 when joining them, some songs are really good, different but in a good way, old-school/underground Swedish death metal vibes, low budget band.

Sabaton:
1. Too much war glorifying going on for my taste... ;-) (I'm aware of I shouldn't take it too serious...)
2. Musically they are in a nowhere land for me.

Back to Eucharist, the hidden gem featuring a very young Daniel Erlandsson (Arch Enemy) on drums.
Well, Sabaton as @McMetal says sing more about the brave soldiers going through the Dante levels of hell in war and want to acknowledge them. I would consider them a patriotic band more than a nationalist band IMHO. I mean, I think they're corny as hell as @Murzu said and I don't really care for them, but they're not the worst in the world.

Eucharist is the stuff I can get into, Dissolving was an awesome song and I quite liked the Djent song as well. Are they Gothenburg metal, I ask because they really remind me of another Swedish band Dark Tranquility? I am not a huge DT or Gothenburg fan either (absolutely despise At the Gates), but I love this song by them...

Reactions: 21

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I haven't heard of a single band you guys have been talking about for the past 2 pages :laugh:

You’ve never heard of The Beatles?

UuzI21z.gif

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Eucharist is the stuff I can get into, Dissolving was an awesome song and I quite liked the Djent song as well. Are they Gothenburg metal, I ask because they really remind me of another Swedish band Dark Tranquility?

Edit: What djent song? ;-)

Yes, early Gothenburg metal, about Eucharist on Spotify:
ijdebwihxblhtre.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

I do enjoy Arch Enemy.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I gotta be honest, not a huge fan of One-Punch Man's opening song, the ending with the alarm clock on the other hand is unbelieveable. I love that Pokemon cover, but my favourite from Young still has to be Maximum the Hormone What's Up People English version. Sucks he only made one minute and a couple seconds version of it.

That's a damn good cover song also.

Ooh Dark Tranquility. I haven't listened a lot of that band but because of the song "Cathode Ray Sunshine" I have listened that whole album where "Final Resistance" also is. I heart Cathode Ray Sunshine in a Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory frag video when I was like 12 years old and i have loved it since :laugh:

Have you listened to In Flames? That's an incredible band. Here is a great sample of their production:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The thing with romanticizing war and soldiers is that, especially in Sweden that has had 200 years of peace, it's usually reserved for right wing nuts, skinheads and racists. So Sabaton will regularly get lumped in with groups like that.

We don't have a history fetish in Sweden and we don't like to brag about warrior kings, empires and conquest. If there are dreams about the glory days of the country it's more about the welfare state of the 20th century.

So for being a Swedish band, Sabaton is really weird. I just can't understand why any Swedish band would be war romantics unless they are a White Power music act.

I'd understand it if they were being ironic, because that's something we love. Making fun on things by appropriating it, but from my understanding Sabaton aren't being ironic.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Man you guys need to stop listening to terrible bands, I don't mind women screamo like Arch Enemy, but lets be honest with ourselves, Arch Enemy is just Charles Barkley terrible.

Listen to better stuff like this...

or

This...

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
The thing with romanticizing war and soldiers is that, especially in Sweden that has had 200 years of peace, it's usually reserved for right wing nuts, skinheads and racists. So Sabaton will regularly get lumped in with groups like that.

We don't have a history fetish in Sweden and we don't like to brag about warrior kings, empires and conquest. If there are dreams about the glory days of the country it's more about the welfare state of the 20th century.

So for being a Swedish band, Sabaton is really weird. I just can't understand why any Swedish band would be war romantics unless they are a White Power music act.

Many of their songs are inspired by Finnish war heroics. A good example is White Death, a song about a famous sniper called Simo Häyhä.

Reactions: 21 and McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad