OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Teflon Brothers is big time terrible.

Some songs are great. I dislike the genre usually though.

Can we find common ground if I say Haloo Helsinki is very good? Or PMMP is (was) simply awesome? Just trying a couple of Finnish bands.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Some songs are great. I dislike the genre usually though.

Can we find common ground if I say Haloo Helsinki is very good? Or PMMP is (was) simply awesome? Just trying a couple of Finnish bands.
They're fine. Not really my preferred genre, but as musical acts they're of a high level.

I like HIM and CoB, as well as select songs from a few other metal bands. And then a select group of Finnish rappers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
They're fine. Not really my preferred genre, but as musical acts they're of a high level.

I like HIM and CoB, as well as select songs from a few other metal bands. And then a select group of Finnish rappers.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@RockLobster : Paul McCartney discography
For the record I am quite critical (even to my best friends), so please don't take it personal.
  • Let Me Roll It: Not a fan of this type of song.
  • 1985: I really liked this song.
  • Wanderlust: Was a very "meh" song.
  • Calico Skies: I quite liked the guitar beat and rhythm, but there is also something about it which didn't make me love it.
  • Sing the Changes: Now this is a song I can get behind - love the beat, melody, and how he sings it. Reminds of the best in the 80s.
  • Lifelong Passion: Another song I quite enjoyed, resembles a very 1990's sort of Eric Serra/Savage Garden style of sound.
  • Mr. Bellamy: This song didn't do anything for me, it wasn't bad because I like the weird sound, but nothing special in the end.
  • House of Wax: Man this would have been an amazing song if it had a faster pace to it.
  • Why So Blue: Liked the guitar riffs and how it goes along with the song, but just not my style. I swear I was expecting him to say "Why so serious" every effin time. :laugh:
  • On My Way to Work: Another "meh" song.
  • Everybody Out There: Sounded like a bad version of Peter Murphy's Cut You Up.
I tried to be and honestly unbiased because like everyone, I tend to make hot-take comments here and there. So perhaps I underrated McCartney's work, but in the end I quite enjoyed his Firemen band. The rest was simply mediocre for me. McCartney and the Wings was his 80's band correct? Got anymore recommendations for this period of his music?

Paul McCartney did a song for the previous Destiny soundtrack before Marty O'Donnell left and it is effin amazing.

My favorite Stones song is Angie. It’s one of their hits, yes, but for their less super duper popular stuff, I almost always enjoy hearing Under My Thumb, Can’t You Hear Me Knocking, Time Is On My Side, Midnight Rambler, Rocks Off, and Loving Cup. Their music has gone through a lot of different sounds over the years, and most of what they’ve come out with has been decent. Some has been pretty bad, admittedly.
  • Angie: DEFINITELY did not like this song, for the same reason why I dislike McCartney's love songs.
  • Under My Thumb: Another song which I did not like, nothing rhythmic for me.
  • Can't You Hear me Knocking: Really enjoyed the chorus, but did not like anything else. Sounded like a garage band type of song.
  • Time Is on My Side: Too basic and too slow of a song.
  • Midnight Rambler: Loved the blues style of sound and it was done well. I thought they would have more songs like this considering Jagger's voice.
  • Rocks Off: This what I consider to be the standard Stones song and reason why I don't like them. As told RL, just doesn't do anything for me.
  • Loving Cup: Was above-average, I give it a passing grade.
Any songs similar to Midnight Rambler, I really enjoyed that?! Additionally, Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil are amazing songs though, like Paul they are an extremely talented band, but the over style is not for me. Bands have to compete with each other for time among fans, yes you can like all bands and listen to them whenever the mood comes, I just prefer The Who over the Stones for that "time".
Moving to Gothenburg in one month with extremely mixed feelings.

Got a sweet internal move inside the company with lots bigger responsibilities and higher up the chain, but I absolutely love Poland so leaving will be tough when that day comes.

I came to Poland with nothing, wanted a fresh start with everything.
And man, did it deliver everything above and beyond expectations!
Found love, found friends, found interesting work, found opportunities to progress both socially and regarding work.
And most of all, I found happiness and peace.

I have not been posting here a lot lately, but I have still been reading the boards and watched almost every game this season.
Just being so damn content with my life has meant that writing here has not been such a priority anymore.
Was Finland that bad to you Nzap? Or was Poland that great? Just curious, but I am glad that you found Poland awesome. As Polish, Poland is such an underrated country. Yeah there is a lot of farm lands which occupy majority of the country and it might not be the most beautiful, but the community feel you get is very strong, warm, and friendly.

GOAT^2

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't understand any of it, but it totally made my day!
Well the title is Finnish for "Year of the Rabbit" which is a reference to a Finnish novel of the same name published in 1975 (the year of the rabbit), in which a frustrated man grows tired of his old life after apparently he finds a rabbit who has been injured by a car, and decides to start anew. The lyrics as well as the video reflect this idea of taking time off from the big city (Helsinki) and everything that comes with it. So yeah, that's the basic idea.

Reactions: henchman21

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For the record I am quite critical (even to my best friends), so please don't take it personal.
  • Let Me Roll It: Not a fan of this type of song.
  • 1985: I really liked this song.
  • Wanderlust: Was a very "meh" song.
  • Calico Skies: I quite liked the guitar beat and rhythm, but there is also something about it which didn't make me love it.
  • Sing the Changes: Now this is a song I can get behind - love the beat, melody, and how he sings it. Reminds of the best in the 80s.
  • Lifelong Passion: Another song I quite enjoyed, resembles a very 1990's sort of Eric Serra/Savage Garden style of sound.
  • Mr. Bellamy: This song didn't do anything for me, it wasn't bad because I like the weird sound, but nothing special in the end.
  • House of Wax: Man this would have been an amazing song if it had a faster pace to it.
  • Why So Blue: Liked the guitar riffs and how it goes along with the song, but just not my style. I swear I was expecting him to say "Why so serious" every effin time. :laugh:
  • On My Way to Work: Another "meh" song.
  • Everybody Out There: Sounded like a bad version of Peter Murphy's Cut You Up.
I tried to be and honestly unbiased because like everyone, I tend to make hot-take comments here and there. So perhaps I underrated McCartney's work, but in the end I quite enjoyed his Firemen band. The rest was simply mediocre for me. McCartney and the Wings was his 80's band correct? Got anymore recommendations for this period of his music?

Paul McCartney did a song for the previous Destiny soundtrack before Marty O'Donnell left and it is effin amazing.

Oh SEPH, I've long not taken your opinions on my musical tastes personally, my friend.

-His work as The Fireman on 2008's Electric Arguments was the first to include vocals. The previous two albums were just instrumental work with him and producer Youth. There are other songs that were quite good on that album, I'll have to find them again though.

-As far as "Let Me Roll It"...kind of surprised you weren't a fan. Written as sort of a "trippy rocker", in the style of late-era Beatles Lennon. "Wanderlust" is just considered "good deep cut" from his album Tug of War, there are other songs on there that I like too, but I thought they may have been a bit too "mainstream" for you, in terms of poppiness and whatnot. But I'll send some more over your way for you to have a listen to, if you want.

-If you figure out what made you not quite like/love "Calico Skies", I'd be happy to hear. Because I think the acoustic guitar work, rhythm, and even lyrics make it one of his better solo works, in my opinion.

-Can't say I agree with your assessments on either "House of Wax" or "Why So Blue", lol. I seriously think that "Why So Blue" should've been on the album it was released as a bonus track for. It was the best track on that release.

-The last two tracks...I thought they would've been up your alley, they were from his most recent album, New. I actually omitted the two lead singles because they were, in my estimation, typical "pop McCartney", just in different styles. But there were some others on there that perhaps you may like, given the affinity for his Fireman tracks.

I'll have to take another look through my McCartney discography for some other tracks that, while may not always be "deep cuts" per se, are sort of "forgotten tracks" in terms of his catalog. Love him or hate him, there's no denying the man has a monstrous catalog of songs he's written or co-written. And Wings was his first band post-The Beatles. At times billed as Paul McCartney & Wings as well as just Wings. It can be kind of hard to keep track of some stuff because he'd release things under the Wings banner, and then solo works as just Paul McCartney.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I haven't heard this song in probably 5 years, I can't believe I forgot how epically terrible this song is holy crap :laugh:
Holy ****, I went back after posting my version of it to listen to the original and wow this song is so brutal. "Yesterday was Thursday, tomorrow is Saturday, four days from now will be Tuesday, 49 days from then will be Wednesday, but today is Friday, Friday, Friday!". "Fun, fun, fun fun". Winston Churchhill would have a Ph.D in poetry next to Rebecca.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Holy ****, I went back after posting my version of it to listen to the original and wow this song is so brutal. "Yesterday was Thursday, tomorrow is Saturday, four days from now will be Tuesday, 49 days from then will be Wednesday, but today is Friday, Friday, Friday!". "Fun, fun, fun fun". Winston Churchhill would have a Ph.D in poetry next to Rebecca.
Bit of a rubbish comparison this since Churchill won the Nobel Prize for Literature, so he's actually more accomplished in the field than people even better than Rebecca.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
  • Angie: DEFINITELY did not like this song, for the same reason why I dislike McCartney's love songs.
  • Under My Thumb: Another song which I did not like, nothing rhythmic for me.
  • Can't You Hear me Knocking: Really enjoyed the chorus, but did not like anything else. Sounded like a garage band type of song.
  • Time Is on My Side: Too basic and too slow of a song.
  • Midnight Rambler: Loved the blues style of sound and it was done well. I thought they would have more songs like this considering Jagger's voice.
  • Rocks Off: This what I consider to be the standard Stones song and reason why I don't like them. As told RL, just doesn't do anything for me.
  • Loving Cup: Was above-average, I give it a passing grade.
Any songs similar to Midnight Rambler, I really enjoyed that?! Additionally, Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil are amazing songs though, like Paul they are an extremely talented band, but the over style is not for me. Bands have to compete with each other for time among fans, yes you can like all bands and listen to them whenever the mood comes, I just prefer The Who over the Stones for that "time".

Yeah, I figured you wouldn’t like Angie, considering what you’ve previously said in this thread. Not sure why, but that song specifically holds a special place in my heart. Maybe I listened to it a bunch during a teenage heartbreak and don’t remember it - who knows? The other songs are their lesser known songs that I like, but I wouldn’t consider them as good as, say, Sympathy for the Devil. I’ll see if I can find anything more akin to Midnight Rambler that you might like. Can’t make any promises, though. I’m not a Stones superfan, so it might be a while for me to find something, haha.

As for the bolded, I absolutely, positively, 100% agree with you. Few bands I know of can rock like The Who, and even fewer have a drummer as talented as Keith Moon. He’s basically who I wanted to be when I first started out drumming, haha. I wanted to be batshit insane behind the kit.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Bit of a rubbish comparison this since Churchill won the Nobel Prize for Literature, so he's actually more accomplished in the field than people even better than Rebecca.
Yeah, Churchill was one of the greatest orators in the history of the English language, not sure where that comparison came from.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

And her singing is bad, the beat is bad, the video is bad :laugh: there’s not a single redeeming factor in that song or video, it’s insane.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
And her singing is bad, the beat is bad, the video is bad :laugh: there’s not a single redeeming factor in that song or video, it’s insane.
I like the story of the song. Where will she sit in the car, for example? Tough!

You know what that car part reminds me of? Those little kids' animations that are like for learning and interaction where there's clearly four spots and three are taken and the narrator goes: "Can Maisy sit here?" "Noooo!" "What about here? Can Maisy sit here?" "Nooo!!" "What about here in the front?" "Ye- Nooo! It's the one where the... there's, uh- no one is sitting!" "What about here?" "Yeah!" "Yes, that spot's free!"

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
@UncleRisto @McMetal

I grew up on numetal and don’t listen to it all too much anymore, but it was so good back in the 90’s early 2000’s. In regards to korn I don’t think you can say their first two albums is all they had. They did go mainstream but kept things pretty raw for the most part. Not self titled raw by any means but still pretty heavy. I didn’t really thing life is peachy was all that great. Issues was pretty damn good. Follow the leader decent. I could go on but won’t. Whatever happened to Fred durst lol

Edit: life is peachy was actually really good. Crazy how distorted old memories can become

Last edited:

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
@Murzu have had a lot more downtime on this trip than expected (in a good way) so been watching some more full metal alchemist. Just got to the reveal of pride. Still loving it .

@S E P H have you finished it yet?

Reactions: Murzu

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I wanted to share this with someone, so why not my Avs BFFs here.

Dakota (my dog) and I were having a late walk earlier and some kids were out goofing around, throwing sticks and stuff. This was the first time Dakota ever got out of her collar, I guess it had loosened up a bit over the months. She started to bolt for the kids to play and wasn't responding to any of my commands (wait, stay, no, come here, etc) so I used my whistle. Which is my last resort recall I taught her over the past 6 months I've had her. We have never had to use it in the wild, she's always been on leash or fenced in but it has always worked in testing.

Well tonight it worked, she could have bolted and gone anywhere and she could have been gone. But instead she turned right around and came running to me, sat down and let me put her back on the leash. I love this dog.

Reactions: Steve Varlamov

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
nice job lonewolfe

Tonight my entire subdivision is looking for a dog in about 10 degree weather. A bobcat caught something and one resident has blood all over her steps from the bobcat's prey. But I think the dog is still out there. Smart to have a solid recall taught to dogs. Especially something like a whistle that can be loud.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

Finnish pop music mostly stinks. Haloo Helsinki has a lot of good songs though and PMMP is one of the best Finnish bands ever IMO.

CoB is good and HIM has good material too. We finally agreed on something!

This is the most popular rapper / hip hop artist in Finland:

I'd like to point out that I really dislike his music but just wanted to provide a sample :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad