OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Just watched the new Thor... why do superhero movies force comedy. At first it was alright but now every movie is way over the top with it. If I wanted to watch a comedy movie I would've put one on.

The movie itself was alright....entertaining but dragged on with the whole trapped on the weird planet. The Rock guy was delightful though.

Sidenote, why do I love Loki's character? I think it says something about me lol.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Just watched the new Thor... why do superhero movies force comedy. At first it was alright but now every movie is way over the top with it. If I wanted to watch a comedy movie I would've put one on.

The movie itself was alright....entertaining but dragged on with the whole trapped on the weird planet. The Rock guy was delightful though.

Sidenote, why do I love Loki's character? I think it says something about me lol.

It's a joke, comedy like you say, as a Scandinavian it would be fun with a good serious hollywood movie about Vikings.

I don't think there never has been a good Viking movie, ever and I doubt there ever will be one. ;-)

This is probably the "best" Viking movie I have seen, Icelandic director (thus a real descendant of the Vikings) but this movie have lots of flaws as well. ;-)
When the Raven Flies (1984) - IMDb

and from the same series
Shadow of the Raven (1988) - IMDb

I would like a movie about Harald Hårdråde, he was a really powerful Viking but perhaps a realistic movie about Harald would become too violent. ;-)
Harald Hardrada - Wikipedia
Mighty King Harald Hardrada- The Last Great Viking And Most Feared Warrior Of His Time | Ancient Pages

Last edited:

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Not sure this belongs here, but over the last week I was on the production crew for ESPN and Rival shooting a TV show comparing the three D1 Hockey programs in the state.

AF by far had the best run practice, locker room sound track and Frank is a gem. I’ll update when I get info on it airing. It’s pretty cool how much Hockey in Co has grown over the years. Serratore goes into how he started at DU and how the recruiting has changed, and local talent has grown.

Reactions: S E P H

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Was browsing Twitter and saw Lindsey Vonn has a book out called "Strong Is the New Beautiful". Hey, Lindsey Vonn: You're Lindsey Vonn.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hey, has anyone worked from being all stiff like you can barely touch your toes to being all limber? What the f*** am I supposed to do and for how long? I need a routine to follow, cause I can't stick to stretching, and I do a good bit of lifting and sports so it's tough.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Hey, has anyone worked from being all stiff like you can barely touch your toes to being all limber? What the **** am I supposed to do and for how long? I need a routine to follow, cause I can't stick to stretching, and I do a good bit of lifting and sports so it's tough.

I went the other way around. It was all a daily stretch routine (especially splits) and then not stretching often anymore.

nice job lonewolfe

Tonight my entire subdivision is looking for a dog in about 10 degree weather. A bobcat caught something and one resident has blood all over her steps from the bobcat's prey. But I think the dog is still out there. Smart to have a solid recall taught to dogs. Especially something like a whistle that can be loud.

That sounds crazy dude. A bobcat on the loose would cause me to be extremely cautious at night with my dog. Fortunately she is extremely observant and tells me when there's an animal nearby. She's just too cowardly to do anything about it.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
7HpiqA.gif

This is the feeling I had last night when I stepped on the scale and saw that I am now down 70 lbs...GTFOH!

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

It's not just you, everyone loves Loki. Give credit to Tom Hiddleston, he clearly loves playing that character. He was the best part of the first Avengers film.

I agree they might be overdoing it on the comedy but it's in direct response to these other comic book movies that take themselves waaaay too seriously. It's a frickin' comic book, have fun with it. I really liked Ragnarok but didn't love it. My favorite part was that they had Jeff Goldblum play a major Marvel cosmic entity and he was just...Jeff Goldblum. :laugh:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Hey, has anyone worked from being all stiff like you can barely touch your toes to being all limber? What the **** am I supposed to do and for how long? I need a routine to follow, cause I can't stick to stretching, and I do a good bit of lifting and sports so it's tough.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I like that the Marvel movies have tonal differences. Civil War and Iron Man 3 more on the serious side, Ant Man and Thor 3 more comedic. It worked for me, Chris Hemsworth has great comedic timing and charisma to spare. I felt it sometimes jumped too abruptly between seriousness and comedy (The Last Jedi had the same problem) but overall I had a lot of fun.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I completely shaved for the first time in 4 years and I barely recognize myself. Not that I ever really had a massive mountain man beard, but it's been a long time since I seen my cheeks bare.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oh SEPH, I've long not taken your opinions on my musical tastes personally, my friend.

-His work as The Fireman on 2008's Electric Arguments was the first to include vocals. The previous two albums were just instrumental work with him and producer Youth. There are other songs that were quite good on that album, I'll have to find them again though.
Oh man I got burned there, RL brought the roasting material.

Yeah if you got anything else, send it because I enjoyed that style of music!

-As far as "Let Me Roll It"...kind of surprised you weren't a fan. Written as sort of a "trippy rocker", in the style of late-era Beatles Lennon. "Wanderlust" is just considered "good deep cut" from his album Tug of War, there are other songs on there that I like too, but I thought they may have been a bit too "mainstream" for you, in terms of poppiness and whatnot. But I'll send some more over your way for you to have a listen to, if you want.

-If you figure out what made you not quite like/love "Calico Skies", I'd be happy to hear. Because I think the acoustic guitar work, rhythm, and even lyrics make it one of his better solo works, in my opinion.

-Can't say I agree with your assessments on either "House of Wax" or "Why So Blue", lol. I seriously think that "Why So Blue" should've been on the album it was released as a bonus track for. It was the best track on that release.

-The last two tracks...I thought they would've been up your alley, they were from his most recent album, New. I actually omitted the two lead singles because they were, in my estimation, typical "pop McCartney", just in different styles. But there were some others on there that perhaps you may like, given the affinity for his Fireman tracks.

I'll have to take another look through my McCartney discography for some other tracks that, while may not always be "deep cuts" per se, are sort of "forgotten tracks" in terms of his catalog. Love him or hate him, there's no denying the man has a monstrous catalog of songs he's written or co-written. And Wings was his first band post-The Beatles. At times billed as Paul McCartney & Wings as well as just Wings. It can be kind of hard to keep track of some stuff because he'd release things under the Wings banner, and then solo works as just Paul McCartney.
When it comes to more of the past music, the more of the mainstream I enjoy. It is the modern era of music which I cannot stand the mainstream radio stuff. Calico Skies was a good song, but perhaps I did not like how McC sings in the style. He's very talented, but so far his style of music isn't for me just like some of the most famous The Beatles songs aren't for me either.

Bit of a rubbish comparison this since Churchill won the Nobel Prize for Literature, so he's actually more accomplished in the field than people even better than Rebecca.
Yeah, Churchill was one of the greatest orators in the history of the English language, not sure where that comparison came from.
Wow I actually did not know that he was so accomplished at Literature. Yes I was talking about lyrical simplicity by Black, but more in regards to Churchhill being a boring speaker. He wouldn't be winning any Nobel Peace Prizes for his audiobook performances, even if he was a great man with an everlasting legacy.

Yeah, I figured you wouldn’t like Angie, considering what you’ve previously said in this thread. Not sure why, but that song specifically holds a special place in my heart. Maybe I listened to it a bunch during a teenage heartbreak and don’t remember it - who knows? The other songs are their lesser known songs that I like, but I wouldn’t consider them as good as, say, Sympathy for the Devil. I’ll see if I can find anything more akin to Midnight Rambler that you might like. Can’t make any promises, though. I’m not a Stones superfan, so it might be a while for me to find something, haha.

As for the bolded, I absolutely, positively, 100% agree with you. Few bands I know of can rock like The Who, and even fewer have a drummer as talented as Keith Moon. He’s basically who I wanted to be when I first started out drumming, haha. I wanted to be bat**** insane behind the kit.
Hey just post if you find anything, whenever, I'll eventually get around to it. No doubt, The Who were something else and as a drummer myself Moon had such a unique style. Was he most technically gifted guy, I don't think so, but he was unworldly creative in how he made his beats match the music so well.

@Murzu have had a lot more downtime on this trip than expected (in a good way) so been watching some more full metal alchemist. Just got to the reveal of pride. Still loving it .

@S E P H have you finished it yet?
I am towards the end of the show, I believe I am on episode 60 or 61. Dude it is hype and so many things happen to keep you interested. Some shows you can predict the ending, but I have no effin clue how it is going to end. No clue at all.

I completely shaved for the first time in 4 years and I barely recognize myself. Not that I ever really had a massive mountain man beard, but it's been a long time since I seen my cheeks bare.
Ewwwwwww, hipster look is still hipster look. :sarcasm:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Of what kind? I get nowhere near the splits.

I used to do martial arts so it was repetitive workouts and flexibility I maintained while younger. Then I stopped and it was shot.

A lot of it was just waking up and stretching, raising up one leg and propping it up on something and bouncing. Switching legs. Then getting on the floor into butterfly, toe touches and splits as far as possible.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Going to the Sabaton show tonight. Should be a hell of a time.

I can't stand Sabaton myself, too much nationalist lyrics and countless war influences for my liking, I have difficulties taking them seriously and the music is in a nowhere land, it's definitely not soft but not really heavy either. Wish you a very good show though, fun with some people enjoying metal here, Swedish metal! :)

I have mixed feelings for Amon Amarth too but at least some songs are really heavy. ;-)

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I have hesitated for years to buy myself a new computer... just using old work leftover laptops and tablets (I'm an accountant therefore I'm cheap), but my latest leftover died so I bought a Surface Book 2. I'm in love with this thing! Absolutely perfect for what I need.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Ewwwwwww, hipster look is still hipster look. :sarcasm:

:laugh: nah, never had the Hipster look down. Though I still love beards even though they've ruined them. I can pretty much grow a beard overnight, if I shave in the morning by that night I already have some stubble coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad