OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
There are funny episodes of HIMYM, but it's pretty much just a poor attempt at remaking friends which got worse and worse as the seasons went on. If HIMYM had stopped at season 3 it would have been a show that everyone said "Ah man it's too bad they cancelled that show, it was awesome".

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So many otherwise-good shows get killed when they go on for way too long. That's a huge fallacy of American TV. The Brits do it right--most of their shows last 1-2 seasons, with the exceptions of their soaps and Doctor Who, which last forever. HIMYM was enjoyable to me but geez...it went on at least three seasons too long. To me, no show should ever, EVER go on longer than five years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
@S E P H
I haven't watched a lot of those shows you listed either. But how can you completely shoot down their worth if you've watched 0 seconds of them? I'm not saying you'll like them all. Maybe you wouldn't like any. But I don't understand how you'd know that without watching.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone ever watch The War At Home? Michael Rapaport is flat out hilarious so that alone probably made it so great for me. But that's one of those shows that was short lived, not spoken about a lot but makes me wish there was more to it. I used to look forward to Sundays to watch a new episode.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The ending of HIMYM might actually be the worst ending to a TV show of all time. Just awful.

Wholeheartedly disagree (I made a change, sorry)...

I came in to HIMY late, but became a big fan of it (again, for what it was--at no time did I think I was watching anything close to "the best TV comedy of all time"...it was what it was, TV comfort food), but that series finale was, to put it as nicely as possible, f***ing garbage.

And what made it worse was hearing that Bays & Thomas had an alternate ending where The Mother didn't die, but didn't use it because they had "always planned for the series to end the way it ended"...okay, well that shows that they failed to recognize that their show evolved and they needed to course-correct their ending.

I mean they went on something like 4 or 5 seasons/years building up to Barney and Robin's wedding, set the final season in the 56 hours leading up to said wedding, and then do a time-jump divorce 15 minutes into the series finale? Garbage.

How many times did they beat over the audience's head that Ted and Robin weren't right for another? The last time I did a re-watch of HIMYM I tried to count and I lost count...that's how many times. But they kill The Mother off and have Ted chasing after her again? Garbage.

If the series had gone 3 seasons, that ending probably is really loved because it's young enough in the show's life, and they hadn't bludgeoned the audience that Ted and Robin don't work together. But 9 years of storylines and changes, and not to mention the turning of Barney Stinson from nothing more than a one-note character to actually have some (not a lot, but some) semblance of depth...nah, let's chuck that in the garbage can 15 minutes into the series finale. f***ing amateurs, those two.

And don't get me started on Lily...

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@S E P H
I haven't watched a lot of those shows you listed either. But how can you completely shoot down their worth if you've watched 0 seconds of them? I'm not saying you'll like them all. Maybe you wouldn't like any. But I don't understand how you'd know that without watching.
I'm not trying to shoot them down, if people enjoy them, then they should have little care in what I say. Just stating that they don't really interest me even if I haven't watched a second of them.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The thing for me is, I just recently watched the first episode of Black Mirror. I thought "hey, this is a fresh take, I like how they're separate stories. I'mma watch this." Now, like three weeks later I've still not seen episode 2. I just see 20-25 minute shows as easier to watch. I binged The King of Queens and Friends watching like six episodes a night but I wouldn't "get into" watching a 50 minute show for one episode. This is why I've also gone through all Family Guy episodes currently available to me on Netflix. Because I watch four episodes of that mindless fluff for an hour and a half but I won't watch one episode of a show that genuinely interests me. There's definitely something to that.
There's one chick nurse I talk to who's obsessed with the show and always mentions it.
I don't wanna make assumptions of "chick nurses" but it's a chick nurse kinda show. I've seen a couple of parts of episodes and it's laughable.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Every time we get into the TV Show discussion, someone (it never fails) comes in with Seinfeld. And I get it, I totally do, I love Seinfeld (though I'm way more partial to his stand-up than the TV show), and then comes the rankings of different TV Comedies. The truth is, as some have already pointed out with their lists, that when you get down to making a cumulative "Best TV Comedy" list, it's too hard.

Let's take Seinfeld and Friends for example. Aside from being on NBC (and overlapping in their runs), they're truly different comedies. The same can be said about other shows as well. For me, that's when it gets hard to make a list. Because I'll go periods where I'm really in to shows and comedies like Seinfeld or It's Always Sunny. Then I'll have periods where I'm in to comedies like Friends (and to a lesser extent, HIMYM). And then periods where I'm all about comedies like The Office and Parks & Rec. The list always shifts.

:laugh: that's usually me, I love Seinfeld. Funnily enough I don't really care for Jerry in the show, but George and Newman are money.

I agree with what you're saying though, it's almost impossible to rank.

No, I mentioned I watched X-Files, all of Fresh Prince, some Boardwalk, and all of Revenge. I'm just really picky in the shows I like. For example, I got Reelz Channel and I much rather watch a full hour documentary of a real life mobster family (which is actually really well done) than watch an episode of GoT. I just find it more interesting. Additionally, I prefer the creativity of certain anime shows and watch those instead of the like of Madmen/Breaking Bad. I'm that weird 1 in 10 persons who prefer things like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Top Gear than the HBO shows.

Fair enough. And I haven't watched a lot of the shows on your list but how can you say you wouldn't like them? Breaking Bad and GOT are amazing television. I think if you gave em a try you'd get hooked.

Fresh Prince is awesome though.

@UncleRisto I get it, but damn Black Mirror is awesome. The first two seasons specifically. They definitely make you think.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wholeheartedly agree.

I came in to HIMY late, but became a big fan of it (again, for what it was--at no time did I think I was watching anything close to "the best TV comedy of all time"...it was what it was, TV comfort food), but that series finale was, to put it as nicely as possible, ****ing garbage.

And what made it worse was hearing that Bays & Thomas had an alternate ending where The Mother didn't die, but didn't use it because they had "always planned for the series to end the way it ended"...okay, well that shows that they failed to recognize that their show evolved and they needed to course-correct their ending.

I mean they went on something like 4 or 5 seasons/years building up to Barney and Robin's wedding, set the final season in the 56 hours leading up to said wedding, and then do a time-jump divorce 15 minutes into the series finale? Garbage.

How many times did they beat over the audience's head that Ted and Robin weren't right for another? The last time I did a re-watch of HIMYM I tried to count and I lost count...that's how many times. But they kill The Mother off and have Ted chasing after her again? Garbage.

If the series had gone 3 seasons, that ending probably is really loved because it's young enough in the show's life, and they hadn't bludgeoned the audience that Ted and Robin don't work together. But 9 years of storylines and changes, and not to mention the turning of Barney Stinson from nothing more than a one-note character to actually have some (not a lot, but some) semblance of depth...nah, let's chuck that in the garbage can 15 minutes into the series finale. ****ing amateurs, those two.

Probably my most hated television character ever.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Has anyone seen Altered Carbon on Netflix? I'm usually into the type of dense sci-fi it seems to be, so it might be something for me.
I've watched the first two episodes. Interesting concept but you really have to pay attention and I'm busy trying to work and plan a vacation. Going to download them for the plane ride.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I struggle with shows that have any type of fiction.

Everyone told me to watch Walking Dead. I told them I couldn't because I don't care about zombies. Everyone told me it's not just about zombies and it's so much more. I watched like 4 seasons just waiting to stop focusing on zombies and it never happened. I just found it so stupid and I didn't think the story was good. I realized i'll never get over the zombies so I quit on it.

Same thing with Stranger Things. Everyone said it's great. I was irritated by how unrealistic it was. I couldn't attach myself to anything because I thought it was dumb. I made it halfway through season 2 and again quit on it just because I realized it'll never suit me.

For this reason I've never watched an episode of Game of Thrones. I realize many people like these things and I wont crap on it because of that but it's certainly not for me.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
No, I mentioned I watched X-Files, all of Fresh Prince, some Boardwalk, and all of Revenge. I'm just really picky in the shows I like. For example, I got Reelz Channel and I much rather watch a full hour documentary of a real life mobster family (which is actually really well done) than watch an episode of GoT. I just find it more interesting. Additionally, I prefer the creativity of certain anime shows and watch those instead of the like of Madmen/Breaking Bad. I'm that weird 1 in 10 persons who prefer things like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Top Gear than the HBO shows.

Sons of Anarchy shares a decent amount of themes with FA:B, as far as family ties, brotherhood, and being outlaws go. You never know - you might like it if you give it a chance. I agree with you on a decent amount of shows on your list, though. Having seen most of them, only a couple of them can stand up next to FA:B or Cowboy Bebop.

Reactions: S E P H

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Wholeheartedly agree.

I came in to HIMY late, but became a big fan of it (again, for what it was--at no time did I think I was watching anything close to "the best TV comedy of all time"...it was what it was, TV comfort food), but that series finale was, to put it as nicely as possible, ****ing garbage.

If the series had gone 3 seasons, that ending probably is really loved because it's young enough in the show's life, and they hadn't bludgeoned the audience that Ted and Robin don't work together. But 9 years of storylines and changes, and not to mention the turning of Barney Stinson from nothing more than a one-note character to actually have some (not a lot, but some) semblance of depth...nah, let's chuck that in the garbage can 15 minutes into the series finale. ****ing amateurs, those two.

I don't disagree with any of this but it's how I feel about Friends with Ross and Rachel.

And don't get me started on Phoebe.

If I was going to give my favorite comedy it would have to be the office .

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Sidenote, if you guys were to make a list of your favourite series of all time what would it look like?

Personally I'd have some combination of Friends, Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Malcolm in the Middle, Lost, House, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Breaking Bad. With a few of Netflix originals sprinkled in there.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Walking Dead is like Dexter. They already covered what they could cover in 2-3 seasons and then it just keeps going because of money.

Is any Netflix original other than Master of None even decent?

I enjoyed Stranger Things and Narcos. Orange is the New Black is decent as well, even though they've milked that for all that it's worth at this point.

Black Mirror has some episodes that are amazing as well.

member 116861

I enjoyed Stranger Things and Narcos. Orange is the New Black is decent as well, even though they've milked that for all that it's worth at this point.

Black Mirror has some episodes that are amazing as well.

I watched a couple of seasons of Orange is the New Black and one season of Narcos and I couldn't continue. They both lack something that all Netflix shows seem to lack but I'm terrible at explaining what is wrong with a movie/TV show. Stranger Things season 1 was good but season 2 pretty damn bad so I have to see what's up with season 3.

I have to check out Black Mirror but not too hyped about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad