OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Oh nice! I've watched The Wire twice and I think second time was even better than the first one.

You should definitely give Sopranos a chance. I think it's just as good as The Wire is. If I had to name my favorite series I could not decide which one it is. Sopranos has a lot of same strengths as The Wire does.
I’ll defintely watch The Wire again, when I get the time. Maybe I can finally get my girlfriend to watch it if I watch it with her, too.

That sounds perfect, actually. If anything has the same strengths as The Wire, then it’s gotta be good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Sopranos is probably the best series of all time. Maybe GOT will overtake it - I’m waiting for the GOT outcome to see which one is the gold standard. The first few episodes are a little rough but by about halfway through year 1 you should be intrigued.

Reactions: Murzu

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I’ll defintely watch The Wire again, when I get the time. Maybe I can finally get my girlfriend to watch it if I watch it with her, too.

That sounds perfect, actually. If anything has the same strengths as The Wire, then it’s gotta be good. Thanks for the recommendation.

My second time watching was with my girlfriend. She really liked the show too.

No problem!

Reactions: Steve Varlamov

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I remember watching the pilot for The Wire and wondering when it would end, if ever.

Yeah, after sopranos,GOT and BB, some recommended the wire but it was incredibly hard to get into. The main character for me was lacking.

Sopranos/GOT are the best shows ever. BB is awesome though.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
What I'm about to say may sound sarcastic and insincere, but I'm being genuine here--I love that we recycle the TV Show stuff. For the most part we all are consistent with our beliefs, but we're living in a great era of Television, with so many avenues to view it.

That said, here's what I think of The Sopranos:

tenor.gif

;)

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
What I'm about to say may sound sarcastic and insincere, but I'm being genuine here--I love that we recycle the TV Show stuff. For the most part we all are consistent with our beliefs, but we're living in a great era of Television, with so many avenues to view it.

tenor.gif

;)

Ditto for Suits, it's the same thing every single episode.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

tenor.gif

;)
Ha, yeah and I remember saying almost exactly the same thing about the Wire before. :laugh:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm actually doing my very first full re-watch of Community (not to be confused with individual episodes that I would've re-watched before--this is the full re-watch). And I'm in to S3 and I've got to say that while it is still quite funny, it hasn't aged as well as I thought it would have.

They leaned way too hard into Chang and his craziness. That's the first thing I've noticed. There are other things that are escaping me at the moment, but overall I'd say it still holds up quite nicely, just not as nice as when I watched it while it was airing.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Suits can get old fast...There are side stories that are pretty dreadful too, Overall not a bad show to waste your time on.

Madmen was stellar up until the ending. When I felt like the audience was cheated. I mean what really was the point of 7 seasons? Last episode just left you like that's it? No real ending.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Lots of love for GOT in here. I really enjoyed the first 5ish seasons, but I haven’t felt any inclination to watch the show anymore in a little over a year. I know a lot of showstopping and story-shifting stuff has happened, but it’s just not really worth it to watch it anymore to me. I might give it a watch once the series comes to an end, just to see what happens at the end of everything.

That’s the weird thing, too - I love reading fantasy, but when it comes to TV I apparently don’t enjoy watching fantasy very much. I love me a semi-realistic, gritty, pulpy TV show.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Suits can get old fast...There are side stories that are pretty dreadful too, Overall not a bad show to waste your time on.

Madmen was stellar up until the ending. When I felt like the audience was cheated. I mean what really was the point of 7 seasons? Last episode just left you like that's it? No real ending.
Yeah, it slowed down. The show had some absolutely terrific TV moments though. So many memorable moments.

01-lawnmower.gif

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Lots of love for GOT in here. I really enjoyed the first 5ish seasons, but I haven’t felt any inclination to watch the show anymore in a little over a year. I know a lot of showstopping and story-shifting stuff has happened, but it’s just not really worth it to watch it anymore to me. I might give it a watch once the series comes to an end, just to see what happens at the end of everything.

That’s the weird thing, too - I love reading fantasy, but when it comes to TV I apparently don’t enjoy watching fantasy very much. I love me a semi-realistic, gritty, pulpy TV show.

This past season was one of the best, though I've never read the books.

Reactions: Murzu

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The Wire is the best tv drama ever made, even though the last season dropped off a bit. Same thing happened with David Simon's previous show Homicide: Life on the Street. Straight brilliance and then a dive the last two seasons. After The Wire I have Sopranos, Firefly and Breaking Bad not far behind.

I need to watch Fargo. Seems like it's the kind of show I would enjoy.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
The Wire is the best tv drama ever made, even though the last season dropped off a bit. Same thing happened with David Simon's previous show Homicide: Life on the Street. Straight brilliance and then a dive the last two seasons. After The Wire I have Sopranos, Firefly and Breaking Bad not far behind.

Haha, that was entertaining. Shame that they shut it down too early on.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
And one of the most polarizing.

My personal opinion on this is that perhaps it was polarizing to certain people because they couldn't understand that the first 6 seasons were all building towards the ultimate end game, which S7 began. We're not likely in for episodes that bring us the great dialogue that previous episodes have brought (mainly for Tyrion...man Dinklage really nails his role). When looking at the big picture, there's been far more exposition in GoT than payoff, but now that we're nearing the end we're pretty much getting all payoff now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad