OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Thanks. Yeah the non-fantasy thing was that especially if I'm using Darth Sidious, I don't also want to be using something off a Harry Potter or LOTR book. I can use movie characters, and I read about Training Day fitting the mold... Are you familiar with the Star Wars books? I briefly looked at one back in the day but as a kid it was unbelievably boring. I was just wondering if those might have something I could look at for Palpatine.

I love The Silence of the Lambs. I read that the Lecter/Starling relationship could be interpreted as kind of a one-way dark mentor thing. I haven't read the Harris books, but I reckon they go deeper into this whole thing?
I’ve only read the Bane trilogy and Darth Plagueis as far as Star Wars books go. Palpatine is Plagueis’s apprentice, but it doesn’t really reflect what you’re looking for. As for Palpatine corrupting Anakin, there might be something in the Revenge of the Sith novelization. I haven’t read it, but I know there are some details in the novelizations that aren’t in the movie. Might be worth checking out.

The Harris books definitely go into more detail than the movies, but I haven’t read past Silence of the Lambs. I forget which title it is, but I know one of the books showcases Lecter acting as a mentor to Starling. Just can’t remember which one. Could be an interesting perspective, given the two characters’ backgrounds.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I’ve only read the Bane trilogy and Darth Plagueis as far as Star Wars books go. Palpatine is Plagueis’s apprentice, but it doesn’t really reflect what you’re looking for. As for Palpatine corrupting Anakin, there might be something in the Revenge of the Sith novelization. I haven’t read it, but I know there are some details in the novelizations that aren’t in the movie. Might be worth checking out.

The Harris books definitely go into more detail than the movies, but I haven’t read past Silence of the Lambs. I forget which title it is, but I know one of the books showcases Lecter acting as a mentor to Starling. Just can’t remember which one. Could be an interesting perspective, given the two characters’ backgrounds.
Cool. Thanks! I wish I wasn't as lazy of a reader. I'm basically Brian Griffin.

Like in the first minute here. (A nice NPR joke then follows.)

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
How often do you guys read? I’ve been trying to get back into my reading but just haven’t figured out a way to work it in
Yeah, I basically just do that. I just ordered the new-ish Craig Custance book, which I guess counts for something... Mostly right now it's whatever I'm told to read. So pedagogics, and not long ago I got in some well-known novellas, which I then analyzed. Now, for a couple assignments I have free hands on what works I wish to analyze from different perspectives.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I got a Kindle for christmas, so I've been doing a lot more reading than I have before. Still, it's hard to find the time in the day to actually sit down for an hour and just read.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hannibal Lecter would be a classic example of the dark mentor; helping the hero while pursuing his own ends in opposition to the hero's beliefs. If you want the Star Wars novelizations, Joruus C'Baoth from the Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn (tempting the hero to evil) is also an example.

Morgane Le Fay might also work, depending on which Arthurian legend you want to work with. She kind of appears as multiple archetypes through the stories, but in some versions that might work.

Edit: Oh, and Mephistopheles in Faust might also qualify.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
How often do you guys read? I’ve been trying to get back into my reading but just haven’t figured out a way to work it in
I read every day. Whether it be a chapter or an entire book, I make sure I read at least once every day.

I’ve been reading my way through The Dresden Files (thanks to @McMetal) with a few other books sprinkled in between each book in the series. Once I’m done with that, I’ve got the The Witcher series of books to read through in preparation for the next novel coming out this year, and then I plan on reading through the Millennium Trilogy. I like to jump into Stephen King titles every once in a while, too, as well as the occasional graphic novel.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hannibal Lecter would be a classic example of the dark mentor; helping the hero while pursuing his own ends in opposition to the hero's beliefs. If you want the Star Wars novelizations, Joruus C'Baoth from the Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn (tempting the hero to evil) is also an example.

Morgane Le Fay might also work, depending on which Arthurian legend you want to work with. She kind of appears as multiple archetypes through the stories, but in some versions that might work.

Edit: Oh, and Mephistopheles in Faust might also qualify.
Awesome. So is it Red Dragon I should look at, or TSOTL?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Just when I thought the OP avatars on the forums list couldn't get any worse, there's now also my small avatar there, if I posted in the thread.
Completely ruining mine for everyone, incidentally. I'm as angry as you all are.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Silence, for sure. Lecter is moving the hero's journey forward while also pursuing goals that are in opposition to the hero.
Cool. I had trouble getting it in English through different libraries, so I just bought it. Thought that'd be a book I'd be happy owning.

Do you think Meyer Wolfsheim has enough of those qualities? Been a while since I read that one, but I already have The Great Gatsby, so I wouldn't have to go find that one.

Hmm... Perhaps not.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Cool. I had trouble getting it in English through different libraries, so I just bought it. Thought that'd be a book I'd be happy owning.

Do you think Meyer Wolfsheim has enough of those qualities? Been a while since I read that one, but I already have The Great Gatsby, so I wouldn't have to go find that one.
I've never read the Great Gatsby, actually. One of those "classics" you usually read in school that was never assigned to me.

There's also a book called Neuromancer, one of the foundational novels of cyberpunk, which has a character named Armitage who probably fits the bill. It's a cult classic of sci-fi but may not be easy to find for you.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I've never read the Great Gatsby, actually. One of those "classics" you usually read in school that was never assigned to me.

There's also a book called Neuromancer, one of the foundational novels of cyberpunk, which has a character named Armitage who probably fits the bill. It's a cult classic of sci-fi but may not be easy to find for you.
I checked and as it happens, the English language Neuromancer is actually very easily available. I guess it's important enough for academics.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I checked and as it happens, the English language Neuromancer is actually very easily available. I guess it's important enough for academics.
It's a great book. My awesome high school English teacher assigned it as reading for literary themes and symbolism, and it's also just a great sci-fi story in its own right.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I've read three Gibson novels now--Neuromancer, Spook Country, and The Peripheral and all were brilliant. But I'm taking a break from him because, and I just can't put my finger on it, he's kind of a difficult read. I guess it's just the way his prose is structured. It's very descriptive and well-written, but there were times I had to read a page at least twice to figure out what was going on. Probably just me.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Oh, and well, since I mentioned this when we discussed Huckleberry Finn earlier, and I'm already doing Family Guy references, here:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hey, employers looking for summer help, if you're asking for applicants to make you a video for an underpaid two month hire, f*** off.

member 116861

I read with zero consistency. I only read when I'm completely at peace and stress free so when I do read, I read for like 2-3 hours but then go a couple of days without reading. Wish I could do like an hour a day.

Reactions: agentblack

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Audiobooks are where it's at now.

I've listened to the Potter up to Order of the Phoenix (so far my favourite of the series), some political books, James May's book (of course narrated by him), downloaded 59 hours of the original Sherlock Holmes stories, downloaded War and Peace, downloaded Anna Karenina, downloaded Kevin Hart's biography, and one other one I forgot. Just had too many credits from Amazon Prime's Audible so now I have enough books for honestly the next two years considering War and Peace is a two part book consisting of 30 or so hours each, two more Harry Potter books at around 20 hours, and Karenina also being 30ish hours along with the SH set.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Audiobooks seem like the perfect thing for a long road trip, or if your job involves a lot of commuting.

But yeah, outside of that I can't do it. I get too distracted and doesn't feel the same as reading.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah Audiobooks are useful like when there is nothing going in hospital, but I listen to majority of them at night before going to bed. Once you get used it, it is a great device to fall asleep to like ambient music or sounds of thunderstorms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad