OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oh wow. That's intense, better get a translation app on my phone for those.

Any do's and don'ts for sake/sushi? I indulge in both quite a bit, should be fine with sake abroad but I'm wondering if sushi might be a bit different in Japan as opposed to possibly more Americanized here.
Most important video

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
Thanks for the tag @S E P H , I can help out if you want @Lonewolfe2015 , I didn't live there myself but my dad does so I've been to visit a few times. It can be pretty overwhelming at first and its completely normal not to have a clue what is going on, but you just kinda figure it out. And everyone is so nice and helpful that you shouldn't be afraid to throw yourself into things.

The maid cafes, lets just say they weren't for me.... but if you want to try it out go for it, they are mostly located in the Akihabara region.

For historical sites I would suggest the Imperial palace, the Meiji shrine near Shibuya and Senso-Ji in Asakusa. These are both pretty cool and also have a lot going on near them so you can walk around and get a sense of the areas. In particular the Sky Tree is near Asakusa and that gives incredible views of Tokyo and sometimes even Fuji. It gives an incredible sense for how big it really is.

Food wise, you gotta go to the Tsukiji fish market. If you're up super early (like 5am i think, not impossible with the jet lag) you can go to the fish auctions. I've never managed this but apparently its impressive. Then go for sushi in the late morning in the little places near by. Hands down the best tuna I've ever had.

Then if you're in the right season, go to baseball, theres nothing quite like Japanese baseball.

Theres so much to talk about haha this is just a taste, so feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or want specific advice, I'll do my best to help.

Reactions: S E P H

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Gonna be outside the Summit Music Hall today, waiting in line to see Avatar tonight.

If you have nothing better to do, and you're in the area, stop by.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Just when I thought the OP avatars on the forums list couldn't get any worse, there's now also my small avatar there, if I posted in the thread.

member 116861

Japanese wrestling

giphy.webp

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hey guys, I have an assignment in English where I'm supposed to look at a literary archetype, and to throw a little bit of a curve, I thought I'd look at dark/evil mentors. We gotta look at two or three of them and I was thinking I'd use Darth Sidious as the obvious one and then a couple others... Fagin... Maybe Meyer Wolfsheim would work...

Anyway, does anyone have some good examples I might wanna use, and what do you think of those ones?

Last edited:
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hey guys, I have an assignment in English where I'm supposed to look at a literary archetype, and to throw a little bit of a curve, I thought I'd look at dark/evil mentors. We gotta look at two or three of them and I was thinking I'd use Darth Sidious as the obvious one and then a couple others... Fagin... Maybe Meyer Wolfsheim would work...

Anyway, does anyone have some good examples I might wanna use, and what do you think of those ones?
Seriously though, if someone can point to a character like that in legit literature, preferably non-fantasy, I'd appreciate it.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Seriously though, if someone can point to a character like that in legit literature, preferably non-fantasy, I'd appreciate it.
Hannibal Lecter might work. Depends on which book in the series you look at, though.

If you consider Batman to be non-fantasy, you could look into Ra’s al Ghul. Lots of content there to dive into.

If you’re able to do characters from movies, my vote would go to Alonzo Harris, Denzel Washington’s character from Training Day. This is probably the best example, but again, it might not work if you can’t look at movie characters.

Oh, and Clay Morrow from Sons of Anarchy would be a good one, if you’re allowed to use characters from TV shows.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hannibal Lecter might work. Depends on which book in the series you look at, though.

If you consider Batman to be non-fantasy, you could look into Ra’s al Ghul. Lots of content there to dive into.

If you’re able to do characters from movies, my vote would go to Alonzo Harris, Denzel Washington’s character from Training Day. This is probably the best example, but again, it might not work if you can’t look at movie characters.

Oh, and Clay Morrow from Sons of Anarchy would be a good one, if you’re allowed to use characters from TV shows.
Thanks. Yeah the non-fantasy thing was that especially if I'm using Darth Sidious, I don't also want to be using something off a Harry Potter or LOTR book. I can use movie characters, and I read about Training Day fitting the mold... Are you familiar with the Star Wars books? I briefly looked at one back in the day but as a kid it was unbelievably boring. I was just wondering if those might have something I could look at for Palpatine.

I love The Silence of the Lambs. I read that the Lecter/Starling relationship could be interpreted as kind of a one-way dark mentor thing. I haven't read the Harris books, but I reckon they go deeper into this whole thing?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Sherlock Holmes Moriarty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad