OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Good luck!

We just had our first child 4 weeks ago. It’s been extremely intense, but the kid being so damn cute makes it worth it. Be prepared for no sleep and lots and lots of crying :) Our life has definitely changed overnight.
Thanks! We definitely feel ready for the change. We’ve been bored, time to mix it up hahaha.
Definitely ready to keep my food down hahaha. Hopefully just a couple more weeks of this

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So you're saying there's a chance? :naughty:

Lol.

I’m saying it appears it went really well. We exchanged phone numbers in the car when I took her home, she text me on my drive home to once again say she had a great time and to thank me for dinner.

I do firmly believe that there’s mutual interest to see if there could be something here. I hope to see her again, she expresses similar hope. Knowing she has children will require more effort and planning (and patience) to find another night. And I’m okay with that.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Lol.

I’m saying it appears it went really well. We exchanged phone numbers in the car when I took her home, she text me on my drive home to once again say she had a great time and to thank me for dinner.

I do firmly believe that there’s mutual interest to see if there could be something here. I hope to see her again, she expresses similar hope. Knowing she has children will require more effort and planning (and patience) to find another night. And I’m okay with that.

child"ren"?
How many kids does she have?
How old? What gender?
Is the father(s) still involved???

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Thanks! We definitely feel ready for the change. We’ve been bored, time to mix it up hahaha.
Definitely ready to keep my food down hahaha. Hopefully just a couple more weeks of this

Just be prepared to spend a lot of time at home the first two months. We are at month one and it feels like we're prisoners in our own home. Movies, takeout/delivery, and comfy pajamas are all extremely cherished items at our house right now.

Thankfully the kid is cute - otherwise he'd be up for adoption right now! I think God intended it that way.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Sooo you're Ron and she's Diane?

giphy.gif

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
So I picked my date up at 8pm last night, we went out to dinner, then a karaoke bar (her idea), but it turned out this bar wasn't doing karaoke that night.

I didn't get home until a little after midnight, and I had my long-standing suspicion confirmed: she had a crush on me back in high school, and she mentioned more than once that she was "really glad you asked me out".

So yeah, I think it went well.

Crush is high school is good because you're in her memory as fantasy version of yourself - that should do you well for the initial part of dating at least. It's when that wears off that she'll find out if she actually likes you, or the you she pictured you as in high school. But so far so good.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Crush is high school is good because you're in her memory as fantasy version of yourself - that should do you well for the initial part of dating at least. It's when that wears off that she'll find out if she actually likes you, or the you she pictured you as in high school. But so far so good.

That's an interesting point-of-view on that. And I'm not saying I disagree, I just didn't think of it in that manner.

Aesthetically, a big difference from me now and me in high school is that I'm in much better shape now and weigh less now than I did back then. Other than that, I have a lot of the same interests now that I had then. We'll see how things go. We're tentatively planning on getting together Wednesday night.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Crazy small world @RockLobster. Turns out the woman I'm talking to most seriously also has a kid.

That's foreign soil for me, guess we'll see where this road leads.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

I'm 27, even if women with kids are riskier I'm inevitably going to run into them more as I get older.

Best to get the experience at some point. This girl is pretty savvy, she just wants to be "happy", didn't say she wanted anything specific from me. If she wanted a provider or a long lasting relationship when I asked then I would be cautious.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
My girlfriend (or should I say fiancée) are getting impromptu married this Friday. We’ve been dating for 4 1/2 years and have been living together for 2 years, so I’m not expecting much of a change as far as our lifestyles go.

Even though it’s basically a formality at this point (her words, not mine), it’s a really big life event and I figured I needed to tell somebody. So why not a bunch of strangers on the Internet?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
My girlfriend (or should I say fiancée) are getting impromptu married this Friday. We’ve been dating for 4 1/2 years and have been living together for 2 years, so I’m not expecting much of a change as far as our lifestyles go.

Even though it’s basically a formality at this point (her words, not mine), it’s a really big life event and I figured I needed to tell somebody. So why not a bunch of strangers on the Internet?

I’ve never wanted the offensive language filter lifted more than this moment, because CONGRATU-f***ING-LATIONS! That’s awesome man, I’m genuinely happy for you!

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Crazy small world @RockLobster. Turns out the woman I'm talking to most seriously also has a kid.

That's foreign soil for me, guess we'll see where this road leads.

See I’m 32, and if I keep trying to find someone without kids it just significantly narrows the field, and it’s usually people in their mid-20s (like 24-26), and not that there’s anything wrong with that age group, but I’m over that scene you know? Plus beyond aesthetic attraction, I’m also drawn to intelligence and success—and this woman has that. If this ends up going anywhere, I’ll be wondering what she’s doing with me. Plus I’ve had a thing for this woman for a while now, and kids or no kids, I didn’t want to go through life regretting not trying.

My ex didn’t want kids, and she let me know that early on, so I made a choice to make that concession back then. Now I’m 32, going on 33, and we’re not together and I believe I do want kids. So that’s a large part of why this current situation doesn’t bother me. IF it works out (and it’s a big if, I know that), I know I’ll never replace the dad, but it’s still kids, and something I want.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Most of the women I ever dated that were single moms were always extremely dialed into wanting a serious relationship. After the kid meets about the third “potential future daddy” I think reality sets in and mom’s protectionism takes over.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
When I was 21 i started dating a girl with a very young child. We dated for almost 4 years before I realized I couldn’t commit to marrying her for a multitude of reasons. She broke it off when I told
Her I didn’t want to marry her. She married the next bloke she started seeing. He was a 19 year old military guy she hardly knew. There comes a point in many single moms lives where they just want some stability and a father figure that will stay in the picture. So while I say ‘run’ sort of tongue in cheek, becoming a step-dad is something you have to think about when getting involved with a single mom

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
My worry about dating a single mother is simply 'why is she a single mother'? See, to me having a kid is a huge decision that should never be made lightly. I would never intentionally have a kid with someone unless I was certain I could stay with that person (and they would stay with me) at least until the kid was an adult. So when I see a single mother, I have to think that maybe they've made some seriously bad decisions in the past. And while I myself have also made bad decisions, I've never done anything as bad as having a kid with someone who I couldn't trust to stay with me for 18+ years - and yes I consider that really bad because having kids is the most important thing most people end up doing in their lives, and not having two parents really sets your kid back in life and can cause all sorts of issues. Most of the slutty women I've known in my life, for example, didn't have active fathers in their lives as kids. And young men without active fathers have issues of their own they need to deal with. It's just not a good situation.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not automatically blaming all single mothers. Not everyone can be a perfect judge of character and sometimes a condom just breaks or a dude is really good at lying or people change - any number of things. But I'd want to be sure their single motherhood wasn't due to some major character flaw before I got seriously involved with them and risked messing up the kid even more by entering and then leaving their life.

That being said, I'd be wary about dating anyone over, say, 27ish because with each passing year the questions become: "why are you single?" and "is the reason you're single going to make a relationship with you fail some time in the future?".

But I guess I'm just lucky. I haven't been single since I was 21.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado

Massive congrats, hopefully the Avs deliver you a series win as a wedding gift... or at least a couple home W’s

Arcade Fire

Trash human being.
Apr 17, 2014
The Suburbs
I wouldn't date a single mum for the simple reason that I don't know if I ever want to be a father. When you're dating a woman with no kids you can still let time tell if you have the wish to become a father eventually.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
My worry about dating a single mother is simply 'why is she a single mother'? See, to me having a kid is a huge decision that should never be made lightly. I would never intentionally have a kid with someone unless I was certain I could stay with that person (and they would stay with me) at least until the kid was an adult. So when I see a single mother, I have to think that maybe they've made some seriously bad decisions in the past. And while I myself have also made bad decisions, I've never done anything as bad as having a kid with someone who I couldn't trust to stay with me for 18+ years - and yes I consider that really bad because having kids is the most important thing most people end up doing in their lives, and not having two parents really sets your kid back in life and can cause all sorts of issues. Most of the ****ty women I've known in my life, for example, didn't have active fathers in their lives as kids. And young men without active fathers have issues of their own they need to deal with. It's just not a good situation.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not automatically blaming all single mothers. Not everyone can be a perfect judge of character and sometimes a condom just breaks or a dude is really good at lying or people change - any number of things. But I'd want to be sure their single motherhood wasn't due to some major character flaw before I got seriously involved with them and risked messing up the kid even more by entering and then leaving their life.

That being said, I'd be wary about dating anyone over, say, 27ish because with each passing year the questions become: "why are you single?" and "is the reason you're single going to make a relationship with you fail some time in the future?".

But I guess I'm just lucky. I haven't been single since I was 21.

There's two sides to the coin though. While I understand the POV you're coming from, some people are single parents because the relationship with the father/mother of their child(ren) crumbles. No one can predict it happening. The last person I was in a relationship with was for 9 years. I was 23 when we started dating and we were engaged to be married and broke up shortly before I turned 32. I had no idea it was going to end that way.

Like you said, you're not blaming all single mothers (but it really should be "single parents", because there are single dads out there too). Again, I'm not saying this is something that is going to work out for me, but I understand it's a package deal, and it's non-negotiable. If her and I begin to get more serious, then I know there will be a discussion as to when she wants me to meet her children, because that is an important step. We're obviously not even close to being at that point yet, but I'm not scared of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad