OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Concerts are where it's at. I've never had a shitty time at a concert.

Seeing U2 in Tulsa in 3 weeks, have Metallica here in Wichita next March, and between now and then I feel pretty confident that at least 1-2 more acts will pop up in places I can afford to go to.

I really wanted to see Gorillaz in KC last summer, but just couldn't get the money together in time. Also feel like I missed out on being able to see Vampire Weekend when they came through and toured off their last album.

Reactions: Oxymoron

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Maybe it's just different based on location. Growing up in rural east coast Canada it was rare to have a big name, or even semi big name band come to a city that was close enough to go to.

Montreal would be the closest city that would have a big name band visit, and even that would be a ~13 hour drive. So I never really had that concert loving enthusiasm instilled at an early age, whereas someone who had access to concerts all the time growing up would love it more and more.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I'm going to In This Moment and Battle Beast on the 18th, Texas Hippie Coalition and Kobra and the Lotus on the 20th, and Kamelot and Delain on May 3.

There is nothing that could make me sit through a U2 concert, though.

Reactions: Steve Varlamov

Arcade Fire

Trash human being.
Apr 17, 2014
The Suburbs
My first ever Avs jersey came in the mail today!

yBjEs6Q.png

Even though it's the ol' piping jersey I can't complain considering the price (€ 41).

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I'm seemingly at a concert every week or so... About once or twice a month I'll go out of my way to see a band in the general area (Denver, SLC, Boulder, Springs).
SLC is not in the "general area" of Denver, Boulder and the Springs :laugh:

Durango has an okay local music scene. There are a couple decent local bluegrass-y/ bans that I see frequently. We don't bring in headliners but we get a good band or two every month for sure. I see at least one show a month at this point, but with festival season coming up things are going to get crazy.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I guess if you live in Grand Junction? :dunno:

I don't go to as many concerts as I used to, because my music tastes have changed to encompass a LOT more European metal, and many of them don't get to tour here. Still, I have seen hundreds of bands live over the last 20 years or so (f*** I'm old), and I love live music. It's so worth it, I never miss a show if I can help it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can someone explain women tendencies and facebook for me because I don't really get it? I don't really use my facebook at all, but I saw some good friends from one of my past jobs a couple weeks ago in the recommended section when I was just randomly browsing. So I decided to add them just for the hell of it to keep in touch and everyone accepted it except one chick. I thought I was pretty close to her as a friend when we worked, like she came to me with all her problems and when she was stressed out. Like, I don't give a damn if she ever accepts it or not because it truly is "whateva" for me, but just a tad shocked since we were solid at work and even hung outside of it yet no dice.

And I for sure know she saw it because my other friend randomly brought it up to me and told me directly that both of them were talking about it. She doesn't seem like the one to put up a facade, not her character and I don't think she has enough intelligence to fake smile during all our interactions. I kind of want to know if I did anything wrong here? Or is this what certain people do?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can someone explain women tendencies and facebook for me because I don't really get it? I don't really use my facebook at all, but I saw some good friends from one of my past jobs a couple weeks ago in the recommended section when I was just randomly browsing. So I decided to add them just for the hell of it to keep in touch and everyone accepted it except one chick. I thought I was pretty close to her as a friend when we worked, like she came to me with all her problems and when she was stressed out. Like, I don't give a damn if she ever accepts it or not because it truly is "whateva" for me, but just a tad shocked since we were solid at work and even hung outside of it yet no dice.

And I for sure know she saw it because my other friend randomly brought it up to me and told me directly that both of them were talking about it. She doesn't seem like the one to put up a facade, not her character and I don't think she has enough intelligence to fake smile during all our interactions. I kind of want to know if I did anything wrong here? Or is this what certain people do?

Meh, my advice is to never let a person's social media behavior affect one way or the other how you view them in real life. It could be she's not on there a lot or just wants to keep a limit on how many people she's friends with (I think they said the absolute limit of people you can honestly keep on FB and keep regular track of everyone is around 150), so I wouldn't read too much into it. I don't think you did anything wrong, she just chose to draw an online boundary, that's not an indictment of you, just something she chose to do.

Reactions: MarkT

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
As soon as I read 'women tendencies' I was like alright well this is gonna be good. :laugh:

But who knows, some people are more selective of who they befriend on FB.

member 116861

Yeah I became pretty private with my Facebook other than Shermy once I started getting a ton of requests from wrestling fans. Like, I've never met you or if I have we haven't even had a conversation with you if I have met you. Why the f*** are you trying to add me?

So yeah, she might not want to have too many people on her Facebook or keep it for really close family and friends.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Meh, my advice is to never let a person's social media behavior affect one way or the other how you view them in real life. It could be she's not on there a lot or just wants to keep a limit on how many people she's friends with (I think they said the absolute limit of people you can honestly keep on FB and keep regular track of everyone is around 150), so I wouldn't read too much into it. I don't think you did anything wrong, she just chose to draw an online boundary, that's not an indictment of you, just something she chose to do.
I don’t wish any ill towards her, I mean I doubt I will ever see her again, except if I was invited to one of her friend’s parties (who did accept my request). So it’s not a big deal for me personally. As I said, I thought it was odd and wondered if I missed something.

As soon as I read 'women tendencies' I was like alright well this is gonna be good. :laugh:

But who knows, some people are more selective of who they befriend on FB.
Wasn’t supposed to be a shot at girls st all. Just wondering if there was some da Vinci code or cue I wasn’t getting or passed over my head.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh women in general absolutely have to be more cautious on social media. They get harrassed a hell of a lot more (and much more explicitly) than we do.

That said, I don't think that has anything to do with the situation we're discussing here. Obviously I don't know anything about the situation to really know if there was something you may have "missed" but I seriously doubt it.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don’t wish any ill towards her, I mean I doubt I will ever see her again, except if I was invited to one of her friend’s parties (who did accept my request). So it’s not a big deal for me personally. As I said, I thought it was odd and wondered if I missed something.

Wasn’t supposed to be a shot at girls st all. Just wondering if there was some da Vinci code or cue I wasn’t getting or passed over my head.

Oh no I didn't think so. Just that as the initial lead-up was like okay where exactly is this going. Like Poke said though I don't think being a woman really has much to do with it, except for possibly being more private when it comes to social media.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Some people, overall, are much more conservative when it comes to social media. Me, I DGAF and pretty much accept any friend request that comes my way, unless it's an obvious spam/bot/whatever account. My wife is much pickier. One, she isn't on nearly enough to really warrant a huge friends list, and two, she's from a small town where everyone knows everyone, and there are some people she'd just as soon not hear from on a regular basis.

I've had to mute a few of my friends of late, especially in the wake of some recent events in the news, they just got so utterly insufferable I just couldn't take it, but I didn't want to stir up even more drama by unfriending them.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Re: concerts: I think the thing that started the death of my passion for concerts was that I went to too many shows by great bands where the crowd was just dead. Maybe it's something about Toronto (where I lived at the time) but far too often fans would just go to a show and stand there staring at the band and maybe filming them with a cell phone. Since I was the type to do everything from dancing to moshing at shows, I would find such crowds really hurt my enjoyment of the show. And to be clear - these were not the bands' fault at all - I had been to shows in the past by some of these same bands where the crown was awesome. It may also be a generational thing, because at one of the last shows I went to (the Vaccines), I took some teenagers under my wing and showed them how to enjoy a concert properly, and by the end they were acting like I'd introduced them to some new and amazing drug or the meaning of life or something. So maybe it's a segment of the smartphone generation that just doesn't realize that going to a concert and actually moving to the music is a great experience.

Re: Women on Facebook: Yeah, don't take it personal. If she's even a halfway attractive woman she probably gets tons of random people trying to add her on Facebook to hit on her or be generally creepy. Combine that with many people's tendency to limit how many people they add on Facebook and it makes sense. I myself have a rule that I have to have spoken to you in person on a more than small talk level more than once before I'll add you.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I have a bit over 200 friends on Facebook, which is low, and I still couldn't give a **** about half of them.

I think have like 900 friends because it seems like in high school and college even if we just had a class together or talked one time I’d add someone or they’d add me. I’d say I probably am only actually friends with 25 of them. And then there’s family but meh I’m forced to be with them :sarcasm:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think have like 900 friends because it seems like in high school and college even if we just had a class together or talked one time I’d add someone or they’d add me. I’d say I probably am only actually friends with 25 of them. And then there’s family but meh I’m forced to be with them :sarcasm:
You have the sarcasm smiley on there, but let's be honest... :nod:

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Re: concerts: I think the thing that started the death of my passion for concerts was that I went to too many shows by great bands where the crowd was just dead. Maybe it's something about Toronto (where I lived at the time) but far too often fans would just go to a show and stand there staring at the band and maybe filming them with a cell phone. Since I was the type to do everything from dancing to moshing at shows, I would find such crowds really hurt my enjoyment of the show. And to be clear - these were not the bands' fault at all - I had been to shows in the past by some of these same bands where the crown was awesome. It may also be a generational thing, because at one of the last shows I went to (the Vaccines), I took some teenagers under my wing and showed them how to enjoy a concert properly, and by the end they were acting like I'd introduced them to some new and amazing drug or the meaning of life or something. So maybe it's a segment of the smartphone generation that just doesn't realize that going to a concert and actually moving to the music is a great experience.
Maybe I'm just lucky but my experience with concerts has been only great. I'm not sure if it is the music I like to go see live (generally jam style bluegrass/funk/The Dead type stuff) or that I just haven't seen many concerts with "popular" bands at big venues. I hope I never experience a band I really want to see with a bunch of people standing around on their phones. I'll take a couple pictures or an instagram story, but the idea of standing their just recording the show through a tiny screen is so asinine to me.

Reactions: MarkT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Durango has an okay local music scene. There are a couple decent local bluegrass-y/ bans that I see frequently. We don't bring in headliners but we get a good band or two every month for sure. I see at least one show a month at this point, but with festival season coming up things are going to get crazy.

When you live 3-3.5+ hours (with traffic) from the Springs... 5.5 to SLC isn't much different. ;)

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Maybe I'm just lucky but my experience with concerts has been only great. I'm not sure if it is the music I like to go see live (generally jam style bluegrass/funk/The Dead type stuff) or that I just haven't seen many concerts with "popular" bands at big venues. I hope I never experience a band I really want to see with a bunch of people standing around on their phones. I'll take a couple pictures or an instagram story, but the idea of standing their just recording the show through a tiny screen is so asinine to me.

I think it may be a combination of the bands I like and Toronto crowds. I'm glad you've never experienced it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I once had a guy scream in my face because I was moving to the music and bumped into him a little, interrupting his standing and staring at the band. Don't get me wrong, I've been in some amazing crowds more often than not, but those dead ones... man it's rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad