OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Applying for Graduate School and getting irritated, lol.

My school wants me to submit an unofficial transcript for "all colleges attended", so that means I have to get an unofficial transcript from the Community College I went to 11 years ago. Now normally I'd understand why they want this, however I already sent them an official transcript from that school when I transferred over 2 years ago. I have credits from that school on my unofficial transcript with Wichita State! :laugh:

So now I'm just sitting here, waiting for that college to send me my unofficial transcript via email, so that I can move on with the application.

[taps fingers on desk]

What're you looking to get into?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
What're you looking to get into?

Like for Grad School or career?

Applying to Grad School because I still have a desire to learn and my job here at WSU will cover 6 credit hours for me every semester.

Career wise...I actually really like working at WSU and would like opportunities for advancement. A Masters Degree would be beneficial to have in that regard.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Like for Grad School or career?

Applying to Grad School because I still have a desire to learn and my job here at WSU will cover 6 credit hours for me every semester.

Career wise...I actually really like working at WSU and would like opportunities for advancement. A Masters Degree would be beneficial to have in that regard.
There's work at a University with a Bachelors?

giphy.gif

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
There's work at a University with a Bachelors?

giphy.gif

There is, but the better jobs usually want you to have a Masters.

I actually don't have my bachelors yet, this is my last semester of undergrad, will graduate May 12 and figured "Eh, tuition is covered, just keep going"

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Sopranos talk made me think about the Christopher Moltisanti and Adrianna storyline.

I forgot how it all ended and had to look it up. Almost got me intrigued enough to watch the sopranos for like the third time through.

I forgot about the Christopher-Paulie battles jealousy tiffs too. So good.

Reactions: MarkT and Murzu

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Met Zack Smith and a bunch of other sens on Sunday. He was a very humble and polite dude. Didn't want to go over to the rest and bother them though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The Sopranos had its stumbles like any show, but IMO it was largely brilliant work.

Some shows I think were truly groundbreaking television:
The Wire
The Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Battlestar Galactica (the modern version of course, but I still love the original)
Mad Men

Have not yet sat down to watch True Detective or Breaking Bad, but I'm told those two are right up there as well.. My personal favorite TV show of all time is Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, which was hugely groundbreaking from a Trekkie perspective at least.

WOW is it really time to hash up the tv series topic? It's been like 2 months already huh? LOL

Sopranos is awesome Mad men is good but no way can you put it up there. At the end I was like what was the point?

GOT and Sopranos are tier above anything else.

Let me know when it's the music talk's turn.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I dont know why but i find debating and talking about music impossible because its just so personal
like i dig the Beatles but ive never been moved by them or any other "important" bands and just find myself nodding and agreeing when people talk about them or Zeppelin or the Stones,

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
For the record. I'm having a hard time remembering who is who now that everyone has these playoff avatars. I ain't got no time to read your name.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For the record. I'm having a hard time remembering who is who now that everyone has these playoff avatars. I ain't got no time to read your name.

That’s why I had Risto make one out of Jon Snow...

And I just f***ing realized what I SHOULD have had him put instead of “Actually Died Once” :facepalm:...

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Oh it hurts. I would had gotten a very interesting job for next summer that would had helped my career so much but I have to decline because the pay would be so much lower than what I'm making now..

Well, I applied for only a couple of jobs and I immediately would had gotten an upgrade compared to what I'm doing now. Maybe I can get a good job in the future too. :)

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Applying for Graduate School and getting irritated, lol.

My school wants me to submit an unofficial transcript for "all colleges attended", so that means I have to get an unofficial transcript from the Community College I went to 11 years ago. Now normally I'd understand why they want this, however I already sent them an official transcript from that school when I transferred over 2 years ago. I have credits from that school on my unofficial transcript with Wichita State! :laugh:

So now I'm just sitting here, waiting for that college to send me my unofficial transcript via email, so that I can move on with the application.

[taps fingers on desk]

My grad school application process back in the day was also a pain. I think they do it on purpose to weed out the quitters.

Oh, and The Wire > everything else

But Sopranos, DS9, Game of Thrones, Oz, Firefly, and some Dr Who is pretty great too.

Arcade Fire

Trash human being.
Apr 17, 2014
The Suburbs
I've never been a big music guy. I LOVE music, but I don't get deep into it like some do. I could never go to a concert again and I'd be fine. I have my spotify and I'm good.
I'm the complete opposite lmao. Think I attend a concert every 2 or 3 weeks. There's just something unbelievably wonderful about your favourite music/bands coming alive and being right there in front of you while everyone around you is feeling the same way as you do. I saw Franz Ferdinand a few weeks ago and if that wasn't the ultimate reason to never again skip a concert then I don't know what is. Lesson of a lifetime right there.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm the complete opposite lmao. Think I attend a concert every 2 or 3 weeks. There's just something unbelievably wonderful about your favourite music/bands coming alive and being right there in front of you while everyone around you is feeling the same way as you do. I saw Franz Ferdinand a few weeks ago and if that wasn't the ultimate reason to never again skip a concert then I don't know what is. Lesson of a lifetime right there.

I wonder if it's an age thing. In my 20s I went to so many concerns I doubt I could give you even close to an accurate count. But there comes a point where you've seen everyone you want to see (several times in some cases) and you don't really need to see them again. And even new concerts just get compared mentally to past ones. I'm not saying I don't still enjoy concerts, but the drive to go to them all the time is gone.

I also second the idea of music being a difficult subject because it's so personal. For example, I've rarely in my life met anyone who has ever a strongly similar taste in music to me, but I've met tons of people with very similar tastes in TV, movies, and books.

But for the record, Franz Ferdinand shows are indeed awesome.

Reactions: Oxymoron

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I go to a few concerts a month.
But now I do local venues, not the big venues with the top name bands.
Small shows, locally, with a crowd of folks where half of us know each other from going to the same shows.
Good times.
Just bought my Sick Puppies tix the other day.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I wonder if it's an age thing. In my 20s I went to so many concerns I doubt I could give you even close to an accurate count. But there comes a point where you've seen everyone you want to see (several times in some cases) and you don't really need to see them again. And even new concerts just get compared mentally to past ones. I'm not saying I don't still enjoy concerts, but the drive to go to them all the time is gone.

I also second the idea of music being a difficult subject because it's so personal. For example, I've rarely in my life met anyone who has ever a strongly similar taste in music to me, but I've met tons of people with very similar tastes in TV, movies, and books.

But for the record, Franz Ferdinand shows are indeed awesome.

I'm in my early 20s :laugh: and I've only been to.. 8? concerts. Maybe it's from my millennial, multi-tasking ways but the last one I went to I was bored. It's just not my thing I guess.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm seemingly at a concert every week or so... About once or twice a month I'll go out of my way to see a band in the general area (Denver, SLC, Boulder, Springs).

Reactions: Oxymoron

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I don’t go to many concerts because all of my favorite bands are either dead or too old to perform.

I am going to see Childish Gambino in Seattle in September, though. That’ll be my first concert in a few years. I’m pretty excited for that.

Reactions: Tweaky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad