OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Haven't finished the book, but I really, really enjoyed the movie.
That’s good. I restrained myself from re-reading the book before seeing the movie because I’m a book purist and could see it ruining the movie for me I hardly ever like the tv/movie adaptations. Don’t get me started on 11/22/63

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I've been using a Droid forever. Had Motorolas for a long time, loved those phones, but I switched to the new Google Pixel last fall when I had an upgrade and I'm a little dissatisfied with it. The OS is still great but the battery life sucks. I can't say I would recommend it, I'll be switching brands as soon as I can.

What did you hate about the Pixel? I think I'm taking the plunge and moving away from IPhone. The version 11 thing and the battery episode have left an extremely sour taste in my mouth.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
That’s good. I restrained myself from re-reading the book before seeing the movie because I’m a book purist and could see it ruining the movie for me I hardly ever like the tv/movie adaptations. Don’t get me started on 11/22/63

There are changes, but I’m one of those guys who’s always okay with changes when it comes to books-to-film because they’re two different storytelling mediums. Some things just can’t be done in a film as it’s described in books.

I think in RPO’s case, it helps that the book’s author, Ernest Cline, co-wrote the screenplay—so you figure he’s ultimately okay with the changes since it’s his world they’re adapting.

Last edited:

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
There are changes, but I’m one of those guys who’s always okay with changes when it comes to books-to-film because they’re two different storytelling mediums. Some things just can’t be done in a film as it’s described in books.

I think in RPO’s case, it helps that the book’s author, Ernest Cline, co-wrote the screenplay—so you figure he’s timately okay with the changes since it’s his world they’re adapting.
Yeah I’ve heard a lot of the changes are ok. I felt when I read it that it would be too hard to translate to a movie so I was surprised when they decided to do it.
I get annoyed when something seems easy to translate to film and they change it just because (again, 11/22/63 is a good example of this)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What did you hate about the Pixel? I think I'm taking the plunge and moving away from IPhone. The version 11 thing and the battery episode have left an extremely sour taste in my mouth.
Just the hardware wasn't great quality. I love Android as an OS but the battery needs constant charging and one of the speakers no longer works.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Don't want to ruin your subject about phones, but I want people here to post their favourite 80s song (doesn't need to be all time, but just your favourite at the moment).

It was hard to decide between this or one of Peter Gabriel's stuff, but in the end this is probably my favourite...

Reactions: Tweaky

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Maiden all the way for me. I even named my dog after Bruce Dickinson. Seventh Son is my favorite album, but this is my favorite song.

Reactions: Tweaky and Murzu

member 116861

Don't want to ruin your subject about phones, but I want people here to post their favourite 80s song (doesn't need to be all time, but just your favourite at the moment).

It was hard to decide between this or one of Peter Gabriel's stuff, but in the end this is probably my favourite...

Not an oldhead so I don't listen to that 80s garbage.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
First song that I thought:

By the way, I like the music video better than just the album versio (which obviously rocks also). The lines and the clips from Johnny Got His Gun mesh we well with the song.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

I first thought of Africa. Then Tom Sawyer.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
So much good music from the 80s, it is hard to choose. AC/DC would usually be on my list, but right after Bangkok tournaments, I am tired of them (rink guys that play DJ only have like 12 songs on their playlist and 4 of them are AC/DC). Metallica has already been said, and hard to argue that song, though I would probably pick something off Master of Puppets. Beastie Boys is another one, and that is the song I would go for, or Paul Revere's Ride. But I think I have to go with:

Reactions: RockLobster

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Favorite 80's song @S E P H ? Man, that's kind of a tough one. I've got quite a few in my catch-all playlist, but I guess if we're qualifying it as "Current favorite 80's song", then it'd be:

Reactions: Tweaky

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
@RockLobster ok that movie was awesome. The details were sooooo different but it really kept the spirit of the book. And one of my five favorite all time movies is The Shining so that part was dopppppeeee

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
@RockLobster ok that movie was awesome. The details were sooooo different but it really kept the spirit of the book. And one of my five favorite all time movies is The Shining so that part was dopppppeeee

Agreed! It's a movie that after it was over I immediately said "This has a good bit of replay value, if only to try and catch all of the references!"

Like you said, some details were very different, I personally feel they tried a bit better (although may not have fully succeeded) in making Art3mis more than just a cliche female character (the fact that she still falls into some of the same tropes is why I'm saying they didn't fully succeed). Overall, despite my not having finished the book yet, I feel this was an excellent adaptation--as you said it really kept the spirit of the book. And ultimately since movie adaptations make changes (a lot of the time out of necessity), the most important thing is to keep the underlying spirit intact, and too many times they fall short of that. Spielberg and his crew made sure that didn't happen with this one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
For the first time in 6 years... my Master's weekend won't be me sitting around getting hammered. Tis a sad day.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For the first time in 6 years... my Master's weekend won't be me sitting around getting hammered. Tis a sad day.

63636213.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad