OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Re:80's talk
@henchman24 Surprised by that answer, didn't take you for a Phil Collins fan. Not the biggest, but "Invisible Touch" by hi...Genesis is bloody amazing along with "Take Me Home Tonight" (sings this song so damn well). Do not like any single part of "In the Air Tonight" though - that's up there with "Born in the USA", "Sweet Caroline", and "Imagine" as songs which should be absolutely banned from music.

@ABasin @Ivan13 Yeah, I just cannot get into AC/DC as I said in our past discussions. I mean I would take it over 99% of the music made nowadays, but it's just too simple for me that I get bored of it. I admit I do quite like "It's a Long Way to the Top" on the otherhand.

@McMetal Man what a McMetalian answer that was. :sarcasm: I wouldn't call myself the biggest Iron Maiden fan, but I do like them a bunch. "Fear of the Dark" is one of my personal favourite, especially the live edition, but "Stranger in a Strange Land" is their best song bar-none.

@The Abusement Park that is absolutely the song I would picture being played at an "abusement park". :laugh: Really like "No Sleep Til Brooklyn", but for the love of God a couple of their other songs like "Sabotage" and "Make Some Noise" are just annoying as hell.

@Murzu Classic choice here, but as a fellow drummer Lars Ulrich has got to have some of the most boring drum parts to ever exist. Hard to say what my favourite Metallica song is, I love "Seek 'n' Destroy", "Whom the Bell Tolls", "Welcome Home", "Fuel", "Blacken", but I think my favourite is "Broken, Beatin, and Scarred" on Death Magnetic (that probably goes against the grain quite a bit).

@UncleRisto Another absolute classic, Rush has got to be the most underrated band of the popular bands. It sucks that when they were making music in the 80s, they were known for having a lot of nerd members which was unattractive for some of the mainstream audience to their music (yes, that is a hot take). Now though I've seen practically every type of Rush fan from the blonde cheerleader to the 67 year old who is in IT, so that's good. Hard to pinpoint my favourite song since I love majority of their sound, but if there was one song's beat which I keep playing in my head all the damn time it is "YYZ".

@Tweaky Wonderful choice, that's got be one of their most underappreciated hits as well. Not sure I can stand their modern stuff, but "Gloria" is another amazing song with my favourite probably being "Pride".

@ASmileyFace Good song, but I don't know if I can handle it anymore it gets overplayed so often even in today's era. It's like "Eye of the Tigre" in which these are good songs I am completely exhausted to since I've listened to them so much. Men at Work have a lot of great songs though, I love "Down by the Sea" from them.

@RockLobster Man, what's with you liking all these pricks? :D:sarcasm: I hear that David Byrne is another total douchebag who sort of ruined Talking Heads as a band. Not surprised by the sound of that song though, definitely fits your musical style based upon all our past musical debates we've had.

Sort of shocked by the lack of MJ mentioned, perhaps it would have with more people, but still unexpected nonetheless.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
@McMetal Man what a McMetalian answer that was. :sarcasm: I wouldn't call myself the biggest Iron Maiden fan, but I do like them a bunch. "Fear of the Dark" is one of my personal favourite, especially the live edition, but "Stranger in a Strange Land" is their best song bar-none.
:laugh: So the reason I acquired the "McMetal" name in the first place is because nobody at my workplace has ever seen me not wearing a metal shirt. So yeah, it's there for a reason.

I love Maiden, everything from Number of the Beast through Fear of the Dark is a classic, and I love the post-Brave New World stuff too. Just an ATF of mine.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
:laugh: So the reason I acquired the "McMetal" name in the first place is because nobody at my workplace has ever seen me not wearing a metal shirt. So yeah, it's there for a reason.

I love Maiden, everything from Number of the Beast through Fear of the Dark is a classic, and I love the post-Brave New World stuff too. Just an ATF of mine.
So is it safe to say they're your favourite band ever? I love their new stuff too, "The Wicker Man" and "The Red and the Black" both possess the Iron Maiden sound I absolutely love. They also all seem like good blokes as well.

If I was going to rate them, I think I would have...
1. Rush
2. Metallica
3. Iron Maiden

Only reason why is because I am not the biggest fan of Bruce's voice (yes I give you guys the right to bash me), doubt he would ever win any American Idol contests.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So is it safe to say they're your favourite band ever? I love their new stuff too, "The Wicker Man" and "The Red and the Black" both possess the Iron Maiden sound I absolutely love. They also all seem like good blokes as well.

If I was going to rate them, I think I would have...
1. Rush
2. Metallica
3. Iron Maiden

Only reason why is because I am not the biggest fan of Bruce's voice (yes I give you guys the right to bash me), doubt he would ever win any American Idol contests.
Yeah, if you put a gun to my head I'd probably say Maiden. It's tough though. And I love Bruce Dickinson. I don't really know what it is but his voice sounds amazing to me. He's also one of the most charismatic frontmen I've ever seen live, so there's that too.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
@UncleRisto Another absolute classic, Rush has got to be the most underrated band of the popular bands. It sucks that when they were making music in the 80s, they were known for having a lot of nerd members which was unattractive for some of the mainstream audience to their music (yes, that is a hot take). Now though I've seen practically every type of Rush fan from the blonde cheerleader to the 67 year old who is in IT, so that's good. Hard to pinpoint my favourite song since I love majority of their sound, but if there was one song's beat which I keep playing in my head all the damn time it is "YYZ".
Completely agree with you on AC/DC. Do not want.

A couple of other 80's songs I like are Beds Are Burning and Orange Crush.

E: Oh yeah, and totally, Sunday Bloody Sunday is great.

YYZ is a classic. Especially the intro. Spirit of the Radio is terrific. Working Man, Limelight... Admittedly, I haven't done a deep dive into their music. Tom Sawyer is an obvious answer, but I love the drums and the main riff is mean.

Otherwise, Dream Theater's Images and Words doesn't quite make the cut, but obviously it has some awesome songs, since we were around the genre, but you know this.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
@Tweaky Wonderful choice, that's got be one of their most underappreciated hits as well. Not sure I can stand their modern stuff, but "Gloria" is another amazing song with my favourite probably being "Pride".

U2 has a deep catalog man, beyond just their radio hits (which tend to be frigging earworms themselves). Glad to see you mention "Pride" though. Still get goosebumps when Bono sings "Early mornin', April 4, a shot rings out in the Memphis sky. Free at last, they took your life, they could not take your pride..."

S E P H said:
@RockLobster Man, what's with you liking all these pricks? :D:sarcasm: I hear that David Byrne is another total *****ebag who sort of ruined Talking Heads as a band. Not surprised by the sound of that song though, definitely fits your musical style based upon all our past musical debates we've had.

Sort of shocked by the lack of MJ mentioned, perhaps it would have with more people, but still unexpected nonetheless.

That's actually the only Talking Heads song in all of my various playlists...and it's probably there thanks to it being the opening to Clerks 2.

As far as a lack of Michael Jackson...maybe that can be attributed to the question being specific to "What's your favorite 80's song right now?" Because my answer, probably even last week, wouldn't have been "(Nothing But) Flowers". Other songs that have found themselves in that spot have been the following:

-"The Safety Dance"
-"I Melt With You"
-"West End Girls"
-"The Power of Love" (what 80's playlist is complete if this isn't on there?)
-"Your Love"
-"End of the Line" (Traveling Wilbury's FTW!)
-"Hungry Like The Wolf"

And there's some others, but you get the gist...

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
@S E P H it really would be the theme song of an abusement Park :laugh: I love the beastie boys though, they were a hugely important part of rap history. But yeah I can definitely understand where people can find some songs annoying.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Actually, there are a ton of individual songs from the 1980's that I enjoy. I'll shoot some more.
Cult of Personality
Every Breath You Take
Message in a Bottle (1979)
Peace Sells
Home Sweet Home
Smokin' in the Boys' Room

Shout-outs also to Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This), Somebody's Watching Me, and Listen to Your Heart, which are... they're own thing but such well done songs. (Especially embarrassed about Roxette. :laugh:)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Actually, there are a ton of individual songs from the 1980's that I enjoy. I'll shoot some more.
Cult of Personality

Yes.

Every Breath You Take

YES.

Message in a Bottle (1979)

YES!

Are you like secretly reading off my playlist here?

Peace Sells
Home Sweet Home

Shout-outs also to Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This), Somebody's Watching Me, and Listen to Your Heart, which are... they're own thing but such well done songs.

Nope, nevermind, you are not :D

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yes.

YES.

YES!

Are you like secretly reading off my playlist here?

Nope, nevermind, you are not :D
LOL, yeah that's a mixed bag. :laugh: If I limited it to some of the specific types of 80's rock though, I'm confident I could make a pretty good playlist. With Home Sweet Home, I actually much prefer it if Mötley Crue doesn't perform it. It's a song for a female singer, I feel.

Lastly, I just feel like there are certain songs in pop and pop rock in each era that I appreciate for some of their musical elements, even though I fully acknowledge what they are. You don't even want to know what they are for the 90's and 2000's.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
LOL, yeah that's a mixed bag. :laugh: If I limited it to some of the specific types of 80's rock though, I'm confident I could make a pretty good playlist. With Home Sweet Home, I actually much prefer it if Mötley Crue doesn't perform it. It's a song for a female singer, I feel.

Lastly, I just feel like there are certain songs in pop and pop rock in each era that I appreciate for some of their musical elements, even though I fully acknowledge what they are. You don't even want to know what they are for the 90's.

uu9pmDP.gif

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
@henchman24 Surprised by that answer, didn't take you for a Phil Collins fan. Not the biggest, but "Invisible Touch" by hi...Genesis is bloody amazing along with "Take Me Home Tonight" (sings this song so damn well). Do not like any single part of "In the Air Tonight" though - that's up there with "Born in the USA", "Sweet Caroline", and "Imagine" as songs which should be absolutely banned from music.

I'm likely the biggest under 50 Phil Collins fan there is. No joke, I have a 5' x 4' painting of Phil Collins in my living room.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Scorpions need some loving when it comes to the 80s.

As do the Cars, Journey, Krokus (guilty favorite of mine), Van Halen , Prince and Def Leppard

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Lovin' the '80s music talk. In so many ways I never left that decade. So glad it still pervades pop culture like crazy. I have decidedly less-fond memories of the '90s, doesn't mean there wasn't some great music being pumped out during the time of my teens/early 20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad