OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, if you put a gun to my head I'd probably say Maiden. It's tough though. And I love Bruce Dickinson. I don't really know what it is but his voice sounds amazing to me. He's also one of the most charismatic frontmen I've ever seen live, so there's that too.
I don't really want to bash him because I quite like him and he's better than whatever AC/DC has, however, listen to the part of "The Red and The Black" at 5:28 thru 5:55. That is a voice which has some strict limits to the range it can go. Perhaps it's unfair to judge a 59 year old when it comes to singing, however his singing has not changed since he was 30 for me. Maybe you can tell me if I am wrong, as I said I am not a Maiden ultra. He is definitely one of the best frontmen of modern era along with Freddy Mercury, Michael Hutchence, and Peter Gabriel as well (probably missing a couple more).

Completely agree with you on AC/DC. Do not want.

A couple of other 80's songs I like are Beds Are Burning and Orange Crush.

E: Oh yeah, and totally, Sunday Bloody Sunday is great.

YYZ is a classic. Especially the intro. Spirit of the Radio is terrific. Working Man, Limelight... Admittedly, I haven't done a deep dive into their music. Tom Sawyer is an obvious answer, but I love the drums and the main riff is mean.

Otherwise, Dream Theater's Images and Words doesn't quite make the cut, but obviously it has some awesome songs, since we were around the genre, but you know this.
Midnight Oil is an unbelievable band, not a huge fan of Beds Are Burning, but Dead Heart and Dream World can go toe-to-toe with any other single from the 80s as far as I am concerned. Actually when I was younger The Dead Heart was probably my favourite 80s song of all-time until I expanded my collection (still is one of my top). There is no bad song on their album, Diesel and Dust.

Check out Presto (one of my favourites), Red Sector A, Force Ten, and Closer to the Heart for some really good songs that went under the mainstream light. Time Stand Still and Big Money are two other fantastic songs by Rush. They just had that melodic sound to make majority of their discography unreal.

YYZ's first minute or so of the song could be one of the best beginnings of any song, so addicting.
Holy *** I totally forgot about Orange Crush, I have not heard that song in like a decade.

That's actually the only Talking Heads song in all of my various playlists...and it's probably there thanks to it being the opening to Clerks 2.

As far as a lack of Michael Jackson...maybe that can be attributed to the question being specific to "What's your favorite 80's song right now?" Because my answer, probably even last week, wouldn't have been "(Nothing But) Flowers". Other songs that have found themselves in that spot have been the following:

-"The Safety Dance"
-"I Melt With You"
-"West End Girls"
-"The Power of Love" (what 80's playlist is complete if this isn't on there?)
-"Your Love"
-"End of the Line" (Traveling Wilbury's FTW!)
-"Hungry Like The Wolf"

And there's some others, but you get the gist...
Hahahaha, I should have known about that being your only Talking Head song. Come on man, Once in a Lifetime is a beaut. :D What U2 songs would you recommend that's not from their radio hits album?

I don't get the hate for The Safety Dance, people liked it because it was stupid and catchy, but the song itself is quite creative. As a matter of fact I chose to say "as of now" because I knew you would have like ten others - trust me I am the same way. At a certain point of time I would include these as others of my top spot...

Midnight Oil - The Dead Heart
Big Country - In a Big Country (played this so much my parents now hate it)
REM - It's the End of the World
Peter Gabriel - Biko
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Duran Duran - The Reflex (best song by them)
Tom Petty - Don't Come Around Here No More
The Psychedelic Furs - The Ghost in You
Don Henley - Sunset Grill
Simple Minds - A lot of songs

But hey if someone had just a favourite 80s song, it makes it much easier to hear and talk about it instead of a song which might not be a couple months from now.

@S E P H it really would be the theme song of an abusement Park :laugh: I love the beastie boys though, they were a hugely important part of rap history. But yeah I can definitely understand where people can find some songs annoying.
Wait it wasn't Vanilla Ice? The Beastie Boys had ridiculously cool music videos, been going through them periodically throughout the day.

I'm likely the biggest under 50 Phil Collins fan there is. No joke, I have a 5' x 4' painting of Phil Collins in my living room.
Wow. I feel like I have this huge urge to make fun of you now. :sarcasm:

Scorpions need some loving when it comes to the 80s.

As do the Cars, Journey, Krokus (guilty favorite of mine), Van Halen , Prince and Def Leppard
Please no Def Leppard, but I admit I hate hair bands and glam rock except for a handful like Alice Cooper, Ratt, and Ballroom Blitz. Journey is good, not a fan of Don't Stop Believing because it's part of the exhaustion list of so overplayed. I like their other songs such as Wheel in the Sky and Lights.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
@S E P H His voice has definitely degraded a bit from the old air-raid-siren days of the 80s, no doubt. There are a couple songs (notably Aces High) that he can't do live perfectly anymore, but like you said I give him a pass on his voice, everybody loses some of their range as they get older. Except for Halford. Saw Priest just a few years ago and that man can still hit full-volume high notes like a 25 year old.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yo, if any of you are ever in the southern Denver suburbs, I highly recommend you check out The Great Australian Bite. It’s a really unique fast casual restaurant that is super good. I had it tonight, and it was well worth it.

And no, I don’t work there/own it. Promise.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@S E P H His voice has definitely degraded a bit from the old air-raid-siren days of the 80s, no doubt. There are a couple songs (notably Aces High) that he can't do live perfectly anymore, but like you said I give him a pass on his voice, everybody loses some of their range as they get older. Except for Halford. Saw Priest just a few years ago and that man can still hit full-volume high notes like a 25 year old.
One singer who had his original voice since the golden age has to be dude from The Buggles, granted it's a 2004 performance and probably isn't the same now, but the guy was like 60 there. Even the original back up female singers are still rocking the high notes. Sting's voice is still quite brilliant along with Peter Gabriel. Some bands I remember which just absolutely are brutal now are Simple Minds, Duran Duran, and Geddy (his voice is gone) along with like half of the bands from the 70s.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
<SNIP>
Please no Def Leppard, but I admit I hate hair bands and glam rock except for a handful like Alice Cooper, Ratt, and Ballroom Blitz. Journey is good, not a fan of Don't Stop Believing because it's part of the exhaustion list of so overplayed. I like their other songs such as Wheel in the Sky and Lights.

Come on man...both High and Dry and Pyromania were solid Def Leppard albums. I agree somewhat with you on Journey....I think their singles (at least Don't Stop Believing, Open Arms and Faithfully) were way overplayed on the radio, but I happen to believe Escape, Frontiers and Raised on Radio all had better songs than the monster radio singles hidden on them...but yeah, I like Infinity, Evolution, and Departure better...but I think those records were released in the late 70s.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
One singer who had his original voice since the golden age has to be dude from The Buggles, granted it's a 2004 performance and probably isn't the same now, but the guy was like 60 there. Even the original back up female singers are still rocking the high notes. Sting's voice is still quite brilliant along with Peter Gabriel. Some bands I remember which just absolutely are brutal now are Simple Minds, Duran Duran, and Geddy (his voice is gone) along with like half of the bands from the 70s.
One guy whose voice is shot now is Geoff Tate of Qurensryche. I'm fortunate that I got to see him do Operation: Mindcrime (one of my top 10 albums) live right before his voice started to go. It's horrible now, he either changes the songs to fit his vastly reduced range or butchers them. Such a shame, he was amazing in his prime.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I'm very excited to try the new $1 triple melt burrito from Taco Bell tomorrow.

I will report from the toilet tomm night on how it taste.

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm very excited to try the new $1 triple melt burrito from Taco Bell tomorrow.

I will report from the toilet tomm night on how it taste.
You should know not to eat something like that when it costs one dollar, and that's obvious.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Talking Heads and Tears for Fears always amaze me as 80s bands. The Talking Heads stuff really transcends decades incredibly well.

I was always a big fan of Ratt, Prince, Duran Duran, Billy Joel and Heart. Those were my big jams in the 80s. Crazy but the 80s seem like FOREVER ago now. I guess it is almost 40 years. Yikes.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Re:80's talk
@henchman24 Surprised by that answer, didn't take you for a Phil Collins fan. Not the biggest, but "Invisible Touch" by hi...Genesis is bloody amazing along with "Take Me Home Tonight" (sings this song so damn well). Do not like any single part of "In the Air Tonight" though - that's up there with "Born in the USA", "Sweet Caroline", and "Imagine" as songs which should be absolutely banned from music.

@ABasin @Ivan13 Yeah, I just cannot get into AC/DC as I said in our past discussions. I mean I would take it over 99% of the music made nowadays, but it's just too simple for me that I get bored of it. I admit I do quite like "It's a Long Way to the Top" on the otherhand.

@McMetal Man what a McMetalian answer that was. :sarcasm: I wouldn't call myself the biggest Iron Maiden fan, but I do like them a bunch. "Fear of the Dark" is one of my personal favourite, especially the live edition, but "Stranger in a Strange Land" is their best song bar-none.

@The Abusement Park that is absolutely the song I would picture being played at an "abusement park". :laugh: Really like "No Sleep Til Brooklyn", but for the love of God a couple of their other songs like "Sabotage" and "Make Some Noise" are just annoying as hell.

@Murzu Classic choice here, but as a fellow drummer Lars Ulrich has got to have some of the most boring drum parts to ever exist. Hard to say what my favourite Metallica song is, I love "Seek 'n' Destroy", "Whom the Bell Tolls", "Welcome Home", "Fuel", "Blacken", but I think my favourite is "Broken, Beatin, and Scarred" on Death Magnetic (that probably goes against the grain quite a bit).

@UncleRisto Another absolute classic, Rush has got to be the most underrated band of the popular bands. It sucks that when they were making music in the 80s, they were known for having a lot of nerd members which was unattractive for some of the mainstream audience to their music (yes, that is a hot take). Now though I've seen practically every type of Rush fan from the blonde cheerleader to the 67 year old who is in IT, so that's good. Hard to pinpoint my favourite song since I love majority of their sound, but if there was one song's beat which I keep playing in my head all the damn time it is "YYZ".

@Tweaky Wonderful choice, that's got be one of their most underappreciated hits as well. Not sure I can stand their modern stuff, but "Gloria" is another amazing song with my favourite probably being "Pride".

@ASmileyFace Good song, but I don't know if I can handle it anymore it gets overplayed so often even in today's era. It's like "Eye of the Tigre" in which these are good songs I am completely exhausted to since I've listened to them so much. Men at Work have a lot of great songs though, I love "Down by the Sea" from them.

@RockLobster Man, what's with you liking all these pricks? :D:sarcasm: I hear that David Byrne is another total *****ebag who sort of ruined Talking Heads as a band. Not surprised by the sound of that song though, definitely fits your musical style based upon all our past musical debates we've had.

Sort of shocked by the lack of MJ mentioned, perhaps it would have with more people, but still unexpected nonetheless.

AC/DC is far from my favorite band, but that song had just played on the radio, so I posted it. With that band, I do like Dirty Deeds.

I find it quite difficult to choose "best song/band" type of stuff, because there are so many, and it really depends on what I feel like at the moment.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Hahahaha, I should have known about that being your only Talking Head song. Come on man, Once in a Lifetime is a beaut. :D What U2 songs would you recommend that's not from their radio hits album?

Hmm...that's a tough one, because I actually like most (but not all) of their radio hits and think they're catchy and whatnot.

You already mentioned "Gloria", that would've been one (though I think it's on the popular end of what is considered a "deep cut" or a "deep track"). That's another thing--what do people consider a "deep cut"/"deep track", you know? I personally would include not just songs that are good/great but were never released as singles, but even songs that were released as singles but got overshadowed by other songs. So with that criteria in mind, here are some that I think should get more attention than they do (or just plan any attention since they get next to none).

-Bad (this would be an example of a song more on the popular end of a "deep track", but still not played a lot by them)
-Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
-Zoo Station (might also be another one that's more on the popular end of a "deep track", but not played live that much)
-Native Son (unreleased and scrapped, the music eventually morphed into what became "Vertigo")
-Lady With the Spinning Head (scrapped for parts, with sections appearing in "Zoo Station", "The Fly", and "Ultraviolet (Light My Way"...they eventually released a whole version not long ago)
-Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (from Batman Forever soundtrack, somewhat popular, but tends to be forgotten)
-The Sweetest Thing (the "Single Edit" that was re-recorded and released for their 1980-1990 "Best Of" album though, the original is not as good)
-Discotheque (this one was as a single off of their album Pop, but that whole album tends to be forgotten, but this isn't a bad track, and it's one that's not really given much attention these days)
-An Cat Dubh

Now like I said, some of those range in scale from "Really deep cut"/"scrapped and can only be found on YouTube" all the way to "Deemed good enough to be released as a single, but almost immediately got lost in their catalog to other way more popular songs".

One singer who had his original voice since the golden age has to be dude from The Buggles

You want to know a singer whose voice hasn't not just changed, but possibly got better as he aged?

Jeff Lynne.

Last edited:

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
My playlist of 80's music would be almost endless. Bear in mind I graduated high school in 1989. I have a great appreciation for music from the 50's, 60's and 70's (and worship some of the late 60's-70's stuff that hung on till the 80's), and the 90's had some stuff that I liked. But I was a grumpy old man at a young age, so by 1995, there was very little new stuff I liked. I think grunge was a huge factor in this, as it came off as whiny to me, whilst having some of the feel of music I liked. Now, years later, I can acknowledge that I was being overly critical, but there are still no bands that made it big after 1991 or so that I truly like the way I do Crue, KISS, Metallica, or even U2, MJ, and so on.

I do not think there is a single band mentioned in this topic that does not have a song I love. I may not love the song posted by them, but at one other song they do is a "turn it up" song.

Side quest: Favorite one-hit wonder from the 80's?

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
AC/DC, baby. Hell yeah. So much fun to listen to because their music is so energetic. And they’re not only loud, but they’re loud AND talented, which is undoubtedly the best combination for rock music.

My favorite song by them right now is “Who Made Who,” which was written exclusively for the Stephen King-directed movie Maximum Overdrive. Total B-movie, but the soundtrack is great. The song I keep coming back to by them is “Rock N’ Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution.” I cant quite put my finger on why, but I absolutely adore that song. I’m currently learning “Back in Black” on guitar, and it is not an easy song for a beginner player. Angus Young definitely knows what he’s doing with an axe. Love that band.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Guys, I'm planning to finally take a trip to Denver during the next NHL season. Any recommendations for cheap but decent accommodation? Doesn't need to be anything fancy, basically a simple and cheap hotel/hostel in a decent area with good connection to Pepsi center and other interesting spots? Any idea how much accommodation would cost for lets say 10 to 14 days?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
AC/DC is just pure fun. Not a lot of substance to it but sometimes all you need is a rocking good time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So I have been casually dating a woman lately... we had a quick fling a over a year ago, but she contacted me out of the blue a few weeks ago and since we have been casually putting something together. Today she invites me to join her and her friends on a birthday adventure next weekend. First off... didn't know it was her birthday. Second off... I agreed... me currently:

200.gif

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So I have been casually dating a woman lately... we had a quick fling a over a year ago, but she contacted me out of the blue a few weeks ago and since we have been casually putting something together. Today she invites me to join her and her friends on a birthday adventure next weekend. First off... didn't know it was her birthday. Second off... I agreed... me currently:

200.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: Murzu

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Peter Gabriel remains my all-time favorite musician. If you ever get a chance to see him live, go. He always goes out of his way to make his concerts unique experiences. Saw him live at Red Rocks performing his classic album So for its 25th anniversary and earlier at Pepsi Center when his (so far) last studio album came out. Dude's getting up there in age so I figure he might have one or two tours in him at best.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

200.gif

Maybe one of the friends will be hot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad