OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You'll never change my mind.
Very deep, personal reasons for this.

Wouldn't try to change your mind on owning one. Any breed can be bad, any breed can be good. Some breeds you have to be mindful of some behaviors. Pits have their quirks and they can be aggressive, so they shouldn't be put in situations where they can be triggered. That is on the person raising the dog. With my heelers I have to be mindful of them around kids running around (they will herd and heel/bite), people on bikes, cars, and general guarddog/aggressive behavior. Well trained they are excellent dogs that might be a bit too smart for their own good... but left to their own devices they will bite and be aggressive.

Reactions: expatriated_texan

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Asset_Get-Off-My-Lawn-300x200.png

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Wouldn't try to change your mind on owning one. Any breed can be bad, any breed can be good. Some breeds you have to be mindful of some behaviors. Pits have their quirks and they can be aggressive, so they shouldn't be put in situations where they can be triggered. That is on the person raising the dog. With my heelers I have to be mindful of them around kids running around (they will herd and heel/bite), people on bikes, cars, and general guarddog/aggressive behavior. Well trained they are excellent dogs that might be a bit too smart for their own good... but left to their own devices they will bite and be aggressive.

Yup. So often you'll hear people blaming their dog when really they're the problem. If you get a dog you need to know the type and what their quirks are, you can't get mad at the dog for having the natural instincts that it does and not train it accordingly.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Amen. Cats and dogs both have their pluses and minuses, but after almost 30 years of having one or the other or both, I find myself with no pets at all. And it’s great.
Yep. Owning a pet is definitely restricting if anything. I definitely enjoyed not having to consider a dog's needs after I found myself without one. Couldn't even begin to think about getting a dog right now, while I'm studying full time and poor as ever... I'll get one for my children if I'm blessed with any.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
In other news, writing an essay on a familiar topic that interests you is so much better than some stupid BS. It's amazing how much it affects productivity.

My Clarice Starling's hero's journey essay will be the bomb. Or it will bomb - one or the other.

Also, Never Take Friendship Personal by Anberlin is a great album, if that's your cup of tea. An older one, but gotta love a consistent album. Although, it does run out of steam right at the end, which is a common problem, I've found.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You'll never change my mind.
Very deep, personal reasons for this.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm a pretty fierce advocate for Pitties and the stigma attached to them is just plain wrong, as are the breed bans that do nothing but help land those poor dogs in the wrong hands. I won't take it any further than that.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I only spent seven months of my 40-plus years on this rock without a pet of any kind in the house, and they were far and away the worst of my life. The mere act of walking into a quiet house after a long day at work was probably the worst part.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I only spent seven months of my 40-plus years on this rock without a pet of any kind in the house, and they were far and away the worst of my life. The mere act of walking into a quiet house after a long day at work was probably the worst part.
Ya, that sound AWFUL! :sarcasm:

I know the feeling though. My dog had his bed near the door I use, and I still sometimes expect something to greet me there when I visit my parents.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I've never had a single day where I haven't had a pet. They might be staying with a friend or family member when I'm on trip on trips, but I've never not had one. It would feel so foreign to not have one... home simply wouldn't be home.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I've never had a single day where I haven't had a pet. They might be staying with a friend or family member when I'm on trip on trips, but I've never not had one. It would feel so foreign to not have one... home simply wouldn't be home.
The only time in my life that's happened was after my last dog died. I just couldn't for a few months afterward. Dogs are amazing.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Sounds like the border collie I had growing up. We had some friends look after him when we took a family vacation. They were so pissed when we got back. He apparently had been trying to herd their chickens so much, they got spooked and quit laying eggs for a couple of weeks.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Sounds like the border collie I had growing up. We had some friends look after him when we took a family vacation. They were so pissed when we got back. He apparently had been trying to herd their chickens so much, they got spooked and quit laying eggs for a couple of weeks.

Yeah sounds about right... I grew up with herding dogs (heelers and border collies) and labs for bird hunting. I have my natural bias with the herding dogs because of their intellect, but they can be a real pain too... I always tell people with heelers to get through the first 18 months... after that you’ll have the best dog you could possibly imagine.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I love kittens, but cats are for people who don't really have the desire to take care of a pet or in other words they are quite basic to take care of. Dogs are hard to take care of and much harder when you try and go on vacation, but bring much more joy to your life. I like cats, but I believe there are a lot of really ugly cats I wouldn't want either due to looks, personality, or just hair.

I can't have either of them though, allergic, which sort of sucked growing up because I was always surrounded by dogs and simply could not pet them.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Cats are obviously less maintenance, but I think that leads to owners not giving them the same love, attention, and training that is required for a dog and hence the general idea that cats are assholes. It's been a while unfortunately since I owned a cat, but every single one was very loving. I had a calico when I was younger that knew when I usually walked home from elementary school, would be waiting, and would meow until I laid down so she could cuddle. It's not the same as the unconditional love from a dog, but it can still be very rewarding.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I've had both cats and dogs, anecdotally there's no comparison. Sure you can teach a vat, but it does what it wants in the end. Dogs are loyal, pure and simple.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I've had both cats and dogs, anecdotally there's no comparison. Sure you can teach a vat, but it does what it wants in the end. Dogs are loyal, pure and simple.

Unless they turn on your family for no apparent reason, becoming a vicious animal that kills mercilessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad