OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
9wDimYu.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
A thousand words left to go on an essay about Thomas Sheridan, and it is developing absolutely nowhere. All this to maybe teach some English to elementary school pupils.

Reactions: Murzu

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Triggering mentally, or triggering a seizure?

Mentally lol.

A thousand words left to go on an essay about Thomas Sheridan, and it is developing absolutely nowhere. All this to maybe teach some English to elementary school pupils.

You want to be a teacher as well? Knew i liked you for a reason. I hear its much harder for teachers in Scandinavian countries as opposed to NA.

I have a 3000 word essay on Orientalism I haven't started due in a week. On top of 2 other essays. so, FML.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Becoming a teacher in Canada is next to impossible, especially in Ontario. Most people I know that are in teaching are either teaching abroad for awhile or going up north to the Territories.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Becoming a teacher in Canada is next to impossible, especially in Ontario. Most people I know that are in teaching are either teaching abroad for awhile or going up north to the Territories.

Yup, going abroad is plan A for me.

I meant getting the credentials is a lot harder there as opposed to NA. Finding a job that's another matter.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
You want to be a teacher as well? Knew i liked you for a reason. I hear its much harder for teachers in Scandinavian countries as opposed to NA.
Yeah, I'm a special ed. major and I may be looking for job opportunities with English as a working language, or something like that, so I wanted something to show for that. It's looking like I'll study EFL/L2 learning difficulties in my thesis as well. Plus the extra subject that not just anyone is qualified to teach is cool. No idea about the differences between countries, but I suppose, maybe.

I have a 3000 word essay on Orientalism I haven't started due in a week. On top of 2 other essays. so, FML.
I have another course ongoing, where I could also cover Said in an essay if I wanted, but not gonna. In the same boat with you here, as I also have three essays in total due next week's Tuesday.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yup, going abroad is plan A for me.

I meant getting the credentials is a lot harder there as opposed to NA. Finding a job that's another matter.

Yeah, it seems like the best shot is if you become a math teacher. French or a language is a big leg up too, but most people I know want to be English or history teachers. So basically they'll have to get insanely lucky to get a full time job.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Why's that? Ah, no jobs? Yeah, history majors are probably f***ed here, too.

Special needs teachers, archaic as they are in the North American system, are better off with job opportunities here. And I don't know about language teachers with just one language. Most have two. But I'm just pretty fluent in English, so I wanted to be able to look at international opportunities.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Why's that? Ah, no jobs? Yeah, history majors are probably ****ed here, too.
Yup. At one time I wanted to be a teacher but there's no jobs. Plus if you ever want to move to a different province/school district your years of work don't apply, so you have to work up the ladder all over again.

Doesn't help that nobody's quitting to let in the education graduates. My cousins been working as a substitute teacher for almost 5 years now with little hope of full time.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Yeah, I'm a special ed. major and I may be looking for job opportunities with English as a working language, or something like that, so I wanted something to show for that. It's looking like I'll study EFL/L2 learning difficulties in my thesis as well. Plus the extra subject that not just anyone is qualified to teach is cool. No idea about the differences between countries, but I suppose, maybe.

I have another course ongoing, where I could also cover Said in an essay if I wanted, but not gonna. In the same boat with you here, as I also have three essays in total due next week's Tuesday.

I have great respect for special ed teachers that actually care and that can actually teach.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, it seems like the best shot is if you become a math teacher. French or a language is a big leg up too, but most people I know want to be English or history teachers. So basically they'll have to get insanely lucky to get a full time job.

Great my choice of subjects to teach are English and history lol.

Yup. At one time I wanted to be a teacher but there's no jobs. Plus if you ever want to move to a different province/school district your years of work don't apply, so you have to work up the ladder all over again.

Doesn't help that nobody's quitting to let in the education graduates. My cousins been working as a substitute teacher for almost 5 years now with little hope of full time.

Just wait until the baby boomers retire. I'm hoping to experience summer for more than a month abroad and then eventually return home.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I love my dog. She's got her quirks (like even shifting feet make her skiddish), but when she's tuned into me she listens and executes.

This morning we went out for our walk and my neighbor popped out trying to find his dog. Turns out his husky slipped out and went out for a walk on her own. He's got her leash and collar, Dakota smells it and starts tracking down the other dog that's in the woods behind our condo area. Pulling me there.

We spotted the silver husky in the woods so I had Dakota sit, let her off the leash and said "go" and she bolted after the husky. Once it looked like they met up I whistled for Dakota and the two of them came running out of the woods together. Took a little longer to get them both to calm down, since my nutjob dog wanted to play at this point and had enough listening. But eventually they settled down and my neighbor got his dog back.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I love my dog. She's got her quirks (like even shifting feet make her skiddish), but when she's tuned into me she listens and executes.

This morning we went out for our walk and my neighbor popped out trying to find his dog. Turns out his husky slipped out and went out for a walk on her own. He's got her leash and collar, Dakota smells it and starts tracking down the other dog that's in the woods behind our condo area. Pulling me there.

We spotted the silver husky in the woods so I had Dakota sit, let her off the leash and said "go" and she bolted after the husky. Once it looked like they met up I whistled for Dakota and the two of them came running out of the woods together. Took a little longer to get them both to calm down, since my nutjob dog wanted to play at this point and had enough listening. But eventually they settled down and my neighbor got his dog back.
That's cool! My old dog was a dumbass, since no one bothered to school such a small human-friendly dog.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Wow, that is one well trained dog. Props.

It's definitely a mix of training and instinct or past training. I think she was a hunting dog, because she tracks really really well. All I had to do was enable her to track the other dog. She does that with lots of animals too.

The training though has been the off-leash and recall work. Only had her 7 months but she listens probably 90% of the time, the 10% is when she's distracted by smells or other dogs. Hoping to make that 100% with more dog park and off-leash time. The "go" command is also training, I learned that once I taught her a command for doing something she wouldn't do it without approval. Since she liked to jump, I taught her "up" for jumping. Now she doesn't jump unless she hears it. Same deal with running, it's getting better but if I say "ready" she gets up and ready to move, if I say "go" she bolts in the direction of my hand, a frisbee, another dog or something.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I got my cat Max trained too.

He'll start scratching at my sofa and I'll say "Damnit, Max, don't do that!" and he'll look at me, stop, and then keep looking at me has he starts back up again. Other times he'll be laying down and I'll say "At least you're not up on the kitchen counter, randomly turning on the dishwasher..." and then he gets up, and goes into the kitchen and gets on the counter and within 2 minutes will have started the dishwasher. Oh, one time I had some takeout that I was going to save the leftovers for lunch the next day, and Max has a dog's beggar mentality, and I looked at him as I closed the lid and said "You can't get in here!" and I went and set it on the kitchen counter real quick, in order to get some other stuff out of the living room, I come back into the kitchen and watch him--and this is no joke--use his teeth to unhook the styrofoam takeout box, use his nose to nudge it up, and then start eating it.

So basically...he does whatever the f*** he wants.

Reactions: Lonewolfe2015

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
We had this trick with my dog, where he'd start howling if he saw my parents leave while I was in my room, sleeping usually. I'd yell "Hey, idiot! You're not by yourself!" and he'd remember it for three minutes. Then he'd start howling again, so I'd yell louder and probably bang a wall or something. He was real good at stopping after a few times of that.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Those are some pretty awesomely trained animals.

My dog is trained to do things for my amusement lol. I shoot him with my pretend gun I make with my fingers and he drops dead. Does basically anything I ask on command such as sit, lay down, roll over, dance, smile, jump etc. He's trained to go to his bed when soembody comes in our house and not to approach them until they approach him. I know that f***ing kills him because he LOVES people. He also rings a bell when he needs to go outside. He wouldn't dare run off if he wasn't on a leash and always stays by my foot. I don't know if that's because he's so well trained or if it's simply because he has such a great life that in his head he's like "why the hell would I run away?" lol.

All my dog wants is affection and food. He's a snuggle monster. If I sit down, he comes over and sits on me. If I lay down he lays on me. Even if he lays beside me he reaches his paw over and puts it on my lap. It's like living with a stage 5 clinger GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad