OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
All my dog wants is affection and food. He's a snuggle monster. If I sit down, he comes over and sits on me. If I lay down he lays on me. Even if he lays beside me he reaches his paw over and puts it on my lap. It's like living with a stage 5 clinger GF.
Yeah, mine was like that too. He loved being real up close to people if possible. He was a dachshund and he crammed himself into the weirdest difficult spots, just to feel secure. If I had my feet up, he'd just chill there on my legs, with nothing else under him, and trust that I definitely didn't want to move my legs apart at any point. He also liked to crawl inside your shirt if you let him, so he'd be in between your side and the shirt. And if I lay on the floor on my stomach, he'd come lay on my back.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Anybody who says cats are better than dogs needs to gtfo. There's nothing like the unconditional love of a dog.

Why does it have to be one or the other? I love my cats, and I love dogs (don't have one--though my roommates just got one). In the same way you say there's nothing like the unconditional love of a dog (of which I wouldn't disagree), I'd counter that there's nothing like the unconditional love of a cat...if only because of how aloof and disengaged cats can generally be. Cats have that mentality of "eh...I don't really need you..."

Before my relationship ended last year, we had brought home a kitten, and she was a real spark plug, real funny little girl. On the 2nd night, that cat went back and forth between me and my ex, wanting us to love on her, and then she finally sat down next to my ex. From that day on, she practically lived on my ex. She'd go to bed laying on her chest, head right up in her ear, purring loudly in it, she'd wake up with that cat either straddled over her, or face still buried in the side of her head, purring in her ear. That cat bonded with her, hard.

Pets man...they're f***ing great.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Cats have their own appeal, but it is just different than dogs... given how I live my life and what I desire in a pet, I vastly prefer dogs.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Cats have their own appeal, but it is just different than dogs... given how I live my life and what I desire in a pet, I vastly prefer dogs.

I definitely don't disagree, as I said I do love dogs too, and plan to have one when I get my own place (either a beagle, boston terrier, or pit bull). Yet, contrary to what I had believed in my early-20's, I am also a cat person.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I definitely don't disagree, as I said I do love dogs too, and plan to have one when I get my own place (either a beagle, boston terrier, or pit bull). Yet, contrary to what I had believed in my early-20's, I am also a cat person.

I just really don't like cats' being to aloof towards many things and their behavior issues... it certainly doesn't help me overcome my allergies towards them. Now I do love a good barn cat... you just have to keep a good rotation of 5-6 of them around in the country. Otherwise you'll be down to 1 or 2 before you know it. Yeah I know I'm cold hearted... I grew up on a farm damnit!

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Dogs are much more humanlike in their character than any other pet, which attracts most people more than anything else. This is also why I couldn't give any less of a shit about birds, rodents, snakes, spiders, fish and what have you.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Dogs are much more humanlike in their character than any other pet, which attracts most people more than anything else. This is also why I couldn't give any less of a **** about birds, rodents, snakes, spiders, fish and what have you.

It stems from how dogs and cats were used by humans early in domestication. Cats have either always been a pet or a pure hands-off tool. Dogs were bred to be loyal, co-workers first and foremost.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It stems from how dogs and cats were used by humans early in domestication. Cats have either always been a pet or a pure hands-off tool. Dogs were bred to be loyal, co-workers first and foremost.
It's insane that humans were even ever able to do all that with dogs.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Why does it have to be one or the other? I love my cats, and I love dogs (don't have one--though my roommates just got one). In the same way you say there's nothing like the unconditional love of a dog (of which I wouldn't disagree), I'd counter that there's nothing like the unconditional love of a cat...if only because of how aloof and disengaged cats can generally be. Cats have that mentality of "eh...I don't really need you..."

Before my relationship ended last year, we had brought home a kitten, and she was a real spark plug, real funny little girl. On the 2nd night, that cat went back and forth between me and my ex, wanting us to love on her, and then she finally sat down next to my ex. From that day on, she practically lived on my ex. She'd go to bed laying on her chest, head right up in her ear, purring loudly in it, she'd wake up with that cat either straddled over her, or face still buried in the side of her head, purring in her ear. That cat bonded with her, hard.

Pets man...they're ****ing great.

Dude it's the great dog vs cat debate, there is no meeting in the middle, pick a side and fight it to the death. :sarcasm:

But seriously like Hench said they have their appeal, I'm just more of a dog person. I've had friends cats purr and nuzzle up to me, and outside of the incoming hives they were great. I could see how it's more rewarding? for a cat to love you, as they don't just give out their love like candy the way dogs do. But they'll always be #1 for me though, especially since I've grown up with a dog my entire life, plus I know how to handle and read them a lot better than a cat. I don't trust cats.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I love my dog. She's got her quirks (like even shifting feet make her skiddish), but when she's tuned into me she listens and executes.

This morning we went out for our walk and my neighbor popped out trying to find his dog. Turns out his husky slipped out and went out for a walk on her own. He's got her leash and collar, Dakota smells it and starts tracking down the other dog that's in the woods behind our condo area. Pulling me there.

We spotted the silver husky in the woods so I had Dakota sit, let her off the leash and said "go" and she bolted after the husky. Once it looked like they met up I whistled for Dakota and the two of them came running out of the woods together. Took a little longer to get them both to calm down, since my nutjob dog wanted to play at this point and had enough listening. But eventually they settled down and my neighbor got his dog back.

Badass, the fact she wrangled a stubborn Husky makes it all the better. I own a Husky mix and love her to pieces (she's attached to the wife at the hip) but she's quite willful. And after getting hounds, Pitties, labs, and other mutts, the biggest PITA amongst our many fosters was a big Husky mix.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was never a cat person until I met my wife. She already had two cats, they were pretty awesome. Over the course of our relationship, we adopted two dogs and the animals coexisted okay except for the occasional dustup (dogs like to tackle cats, cats sometimes aren't down with that), but then my wife developed severe allergies to the felines, so we had to rehome them. We still have the two dogs, cats unfortunately both passed a couple years back but lived a nice quiet life with an elderly couple. I definitely miss the cats, especially the big fat gray tabby who'd plop himself right in front of me on the desk every time I got on the computer. If the wife wasn't allergic to them I'd love to get another one.

The one thing I don't miss is the litter box. One of the dogs once ate out of it, then proceeded to throw up in the car while we were running errands. I've never encountered a more gag-worthy smell in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad