OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Well done.

Was that a specific goal for you?
It wasn't a specific goal until I got close to it. I'm not one of those people who make the gym this big deal. I go pretty much every day and have for almost a decade now, but it's about being healthy and trying to make myself look as good as I can while still living a normal life. I'm the type of person who tries to remain healthy, but if I'm going out to dinner with a few friends I'm not going to hmmm and haa over what I'm going to eat. If I want a burger, i'll eat a burger. Basically I go to the gym so I can have a few pints and wings afterwards :laugh:

But yeah I never had 300 as a real "goal" until I realized how close I was. In fact I got 305 up maybe two years ago on the decline press which I was very very proud of even though deep down I knew it wasn't the same. I had a bit of a setback almost immediately following that so it took some time to get back up to par again.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It wasn't a specific goal until I got close to it. I'm not one of those people who make the gym this big deal. I go pretty much every day and have for almost a decade now, but it's about being healthy and trying to make myself look as good as I can while still living a normal life. I'm the type of person who tries to remain healthy, but if I'm going out to dinner with a few friends I'm not going to hmmm and haa over what I'm going to eat. If I want a burger, i'll eat a burger. Basically I go to the gym so I can have a few pints and wings afterwards :laugh:

But yeah I never had 300 as a real "goal" until I realized how close I was. In fact I got 305 up maybe two years ago on the decline press which I was very very proud of even though deep down I knew it wasn't the same. I had a bit of a setback almost immediately following that so it took some time to get back up to par again.
How much do you squat (free)?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Only a couple times a year when I go camping.
meme-doyouever-joseph.jpg

member 116861

Hey guys, I figured I'd check in here for some help.

A group of 15 of us are coming down from Canada for a buddies stag party. We're doing 4 games in 4 nights, Nuggets/Timberwolves, Rockies/Braves (home opener), Blues/Avalanche on Saturday and another Rockies/Braves game on Sunday (There from the 5th-9th of April)

The only real thing we have planned outside of the games is a Blue Moon Brewery tour. Anything else you guys recommend? Best bars?

f***. Toni Storm is hot.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

A group of 15 of us are coming down from Canada for a buddies stag party. We're doing 4 games in 4 nights, Nuggets/Timberwolves, Rockies/Braves (home opener), Blues/Avalanche on Saturday and another Rockies/Braves game on Sunday (There from the 5th-9th of April)

The only real thing we have planned outside of the games is a Blue Moon Brewery tour. Anything else you guys recommend? Best bars?
The previous page has a bunch of bars listed, since that was just talked about. :thumbu:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So after 8 years of working in various labs & another 3 years trying to start a biotech company, I've finally decided to go back to school to finish my degree & get an MBA. Finishing up my application today and had to get my old SAT / ACT / AP scores and holy f*** was getting my AP scores hell. The ACT wasn't bad, but f*** the college board's AP test department. How they can pull up my SAT scores without any problems on the one hand...including the essay I wrote 11 years ago...and utterly fail through the course of an entire day to get either their primary fax or alternative fax machine to work so I can send them the archived results form, is infuriating. I tried faxing both #s a total of 9 times, from 2 different fax machines (including going to Fedex to make sure that it wasn't just my printer being a bitch) before finally breaking down and overnighting it to them.

:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
How much do you squat (free)?
I'm doing reps of 225. No idea what my max would be. I always do legs alone so I don't try to see what my max is. But I comfortably bang out 8-12 reps of 225. I have spaghetti legs unfortunately and regardless of how strong they get they are lanky and thin lol.

Reactions: UncleRisto

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This cough is starting to really damage my calm. It's been a month now, and it's only getting worse. My abs are sore from all the hacking and I'm pretty sure soon I'm going to either puke or crack a rib. The doc gave me antibiotics today so hopefully this breaks soon but I am really unable to function as an adult right now with this going on.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This cough is starting to really damage my calm. It's been a month now, and it's only getting worse. My abs are sore from all the hacking and I'm pretty sure soon I'm going to either puke or crack a rib. The doc gave me antibiotics today so hopefully this breaks soon but I am really unable to function as an adult right now with this going on.

Dumb question time: Could it be acid reflux or allergies? I remember one spring where I couldn't stop coughing and it ended up being a mix of the two.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Dumb question time: Could it be acid reflux or allergies? I remember one spring where I couldn't stop coughing and it ended up being a mix of the two.
I do have both, but this is just something in the lungs. Progressed to bronchitis now and I've lost my voice which makes it an absolute nightmare to work.

I used to get sick about once a year, this is really screwing with my schedule being sick every two damn months, and now this has been going for a month straight.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So this pissed me off this morning :laugh: (though I strongly suspect I'm to blame for the situation).

Over the last two days I done messed up A-aron, and I didn't just under-eat, I dangerously under-ate (not intentionally, it just...happened).

Yesterday, I got off at 7 and I knew that I wanted to get to the gym again, but I also knew that if I work out for even about 45 minutes, by the time I got home and showered it'd be close to 8:30pm, and I've began to consider that "too late" to eat dinner. Also factoring in was that I had to be up at 5:30am to hit the gym before work this morning.

Anyways, yesterday I get off and instead of eating after the gym like I prefer to, I decide to go home, eat dinner (Apple Cinnamon Cheerios), and then go to the gym. Did that and everything seemed fine. I came home and weighed in at 243.6 lbs, I was super pumped!

This morning I get up, go to the gym and get a decent workout in, come home and was curious if the combination of sleep + morning workout put me down in the 241/242 range, so I step on the scale and what do I see?

243 even...

I was like "Uhh....just .6 lost?"

And then it hit me--my caloric intake for Monday was shamefully low, and yesterday's wasn't a drastic improvement, and I remember reading that if you have a low enough caloric intake, your body goes into "starvation mode" because it doesn't know when it's going to get food next, and it can actually contribute to weight gain because it doesn't metabolize food as quickly.

But son-of-a-bitch that irritated me this morning. I'm so f***ing close to 100 lbs lost, I can feel it, I want to get there, and of course continue moving to my goal, of which I'm 23 lbs away from.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Thank you. Always appreciate other points of view on this.

I don't have goals that have specific numbers attached to them. I simply try and get in 6 good hard 90-minute workouts a week, and let the numbers go where they will. I have friends who advocate writing down every set they do - reps and weights - track it carefully, and they work on upping that a tiny little bit every week or two. I get how that approach can result in gains, but that seems a bit tedious to me.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I don't have goals that have specific numbers attached to them. I simply try and get in 6 good hard 90-minute workouts a week, and let the numbers go where they will. I have friends who advocate writing down every set they do - reps and weights - track it carefully, and they work on upping that a tiny little bit every week or two. I get how that approach can result in gains, but that seems a bit tedious to me.
Yep I'm with you. Doesn't mean those people are doing it wrong or anything like that. It just means they take it a little more seriously than I do. Their methods probably result in better results, but my method gives me the normal life balance I'm looking for.

No doubt there are stints where I take the gym more serious than others. I'm getting in shape for a beach wedding right now and it's the most effort I've ever put into the gym. I'll never be obsessive over it though. It's just an interest and part of life for me similar to hockey and beer.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Yep I'm with you. Doesn't mean those people are doing it wrong or anything like that. It just means they take it a little more seriously than I do. Their methods probably result in better results, but my method gives me the normal life balance I'm looking for.

No doubt there are stints where I take the gym more serious than others. I'm getting in shape for a beach wedding right now and it's the most effort I've ever put into the gym. I'll never be obsessive over it though. It's just an interest and part of life for me similar to hockey and beer.

Same here. I also do it so I can do the other things I like to do that are physically challenging: hockey, hiking, biking, skiing, etc. I've always been an active person, but as far as the gym went, I was mostly a cardio hound. I started lifting weights seriously and doing bootcamps regularly around 7-8 years ago, and I improved at every last other activity I do.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So this pissed me off this morning :laugh: (though I strongly suspect I'm to blame for the situation).

Over the last two days I done messed up A-aron, and I didn't just under-eat, I dangerously under-ate (not intentionally, it just...happened).

Yesterday, I got off at 7 and I knew that I wanted to get to the gym again, but I also knew that if I work out for even about 45 minutes, by the time I got home and showered it'd be close to 8:30pm, and I've began to consider that "too late" to eat dinner. Also factoring in was that I had to be up at 5:30am to hit the gym before work this morning.

Anyways, yesterday I get off and instead of eating after the gym like I prefer to, I decide to go home, eat dinner (Apple Cinnamon Cheerios), and then go to the gym. Did that and everything seemed fine. I came home and weighed in at 243.6 lbs, I was super pumped!

This morning I get up, go to the gym and get a decent workout in, come home and was curious if the combination of sleep + morning workout put me down in the 241/242 range, so I step on the scale and what do I see?

243 even...

I was like "Uhh....just .6 lost?"

And then it hit me--my caloric intake for Monday was shamefully low, and yesterday's wasn't a drastic improvement, and I remember reading that if you have a low enough caloric intake, your body goes into "starvation mode" because it doesn't know when it's going to get food next, and it can actually contribute to weight gain because it doesn't metabolize food as quickly.

But son-of-a-***** that irritated me this morning. I'm so ****ing close to 100 lbs lost, I can feel it, I want to get there, and of course continue moving to my goal, of which I'm 23 lbs away from.
Yeah, that's a short-term thing (stuff to do with fluid and whatnot). So whenever you mess up once with meal times or something, don't expect anything great to happen on the scale, in fact you probably shouldn't trust whatever it reads. But you shouldn't worry about that either. It happens, and I guarantee you it's better for weight loss than overeating. Ask Christian Bale if his water, coffee and apples diet worked or not.

59e052f25a4f9808353306a979a700a4.png

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
@Cousin Eddie, I agree with the notion of wanting to get to a spot where we want to be healthy, but if I go out with friends I don't want to hemm and haw about what to eat. I've only missed the gym 4 times since January 4th, so while it's not like I've gone every day for 10 years, I feel comfortable saying that going has become habitual for me, and will continue to be so even after I reach my goal(s) of where I am happy with my weight.

How my body looks though? That's another story...I gotta hope that "dad bod's" remain somewhat appealing to females (as my younger brother has told me they have? I have no f***ing clue if that's accurate), because I've definitely got one, despite me not being a dad. But the positives is that I moved from a body appearance that was...well let's call it what it was: horribly overweight, and it showed, to a slimmer appearance with the "dad bod" thing. I'll take that trade, no question.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah, that's a short-term thing (stuff to do with fluid and whatnot). So whenever you mess up once with meal times or something, don't expect anything great to happen on the scale, in fact you probably shouldn't trust whatever it reads. But you shouldn't worry about that either. It happens, and I guarantee you it's better for weight loss than overeating. Ask Christian Bale if his water, coffee and apples diet worked or not.

59e052f25a4f9808353306a979a700a4.png

Yeah, yeah, I wouldn't say I'm too worried about it, was more pissed/irritated this morning because I've been flying through the 240's, and now 238 is so close (5 lbs away), and like I said: 100 lbs lost is a big accomplishment for me. It was a big goal in my mind when I started all of this, and it's just something I want for me (because that's who I'm doing this for--me).

So my lesson learned here is that I can't be afraid to eat at times that I may have deemed "too late", so long as I choose wisely on what I am eating (so nothing like wings, pasta, pizza, etc). In the meantime, I will keep working and just hope that a re-adjustment today doesn't balloon me up too much (hoping to be in the 244/245 region at worst tonight), and then I just keep on keeping on.

But I'm close to my big benchmark (100 lost), and close to my first primary goal (220). After I hit that 220, it's not like I'm going to stop, I'm actually going to be interested to see if my waist size can go down anymore (I've gone from 52 down to 44 now, and on some of my 44's, I'm beginning to get roomy, so I may be prepping for another drop down).

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

I'm with you guys here. Progressive overload definitely works for gains, which is why people write down their workouts. Other people make it seem like they're doing some big time Homophobic Slurry with the little notebooks, but they're just writing down sets so they know they're definitely always moving forward and not stalling. I do try to accomplish progressive overload, but I'll be damned before I care so much that I start writing reps down in a notebook.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle

Why Blue Moon? There are plenty of options much better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad