OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
If you want a classier Bourbon St style of place, Key West is the place you want to go. Key West is like Bourbon Street for age 30+.

I doubt I’m ever going to go to Bourbon St or the Vegas strip ever again in my life. I’d probably do New Orleans again sometime but I’d stay in Baton Rouge or something.

Reactions: 21

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
What was supposed to be an afternoon out at a local bar/pub restaurant (The Anchor in Wichita, KS, good food and apparently good beer) with my brother and his wedding party (got married last October), turned in to an all day/night Brew Hop around Wichita.

At The Anchor I at my entire greasy-ass cheeseburger, and all my fries (with ranch as my dip).

Woke up today and after my workout I'm down to 245. Now I'll tell you what--being able to eat a greasy-ass cheeseburger and fries w/ ranch AND lose weight? That's the dream.

Also, shout-out to the Metallica album "Death Magnetic" for giving me a HUGE pump in my cardio workout this morning. I didn't make 3 miles on the elliptical (2.94 in 33 minutes), but I'll be damned if I don't say that it might've been one of the best (quality wise) workouts I've ever gotten. Holy crap was I a sweat mess afterwards--and it felt great!

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
What was supposed to be an afternoon out at a local bar/pub restaurant (The Anchor in Wichita, KS, good food and apparently good beer) with my brother and his wedding party (got married last October), turned in to an all day/night Brew Hop around Wichita.

At The Anchor I at my entire greasy-ass cheeseburger, and all my fries (with ranch as my dip).

Woke up today and after my workout I'm down to 245. Now I'll tell you what--being able to eat a greasy-ass cheeseburger and fries w/ ranch AND lose weight? That's the dream.

Also, shout-out to the Metallica album "Death Magnetic" for giving me a HUGE pump in my cardio workout this morning. I didn't make 3 miles on the elliptical (2.94 in 33 minutes), but I'll be damned if I don't say that it might've been one of the best (quality wise) workouts I've ever gotten. Holy crap was I a sweat mess afterwards--and it felt great!

Heavy music is perfect for the gym. :)

Reactions: RockLobster

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Heavy music is perfect for the gym. :)

As a matter of opinion, I don't disagree. Metallica is just as heavy I as like to personally go.

My "Workout" playlist consist of Metallica, but other songs/artists that help get me pumped, but today? I just put on Death Magnetic from track one ("That Was Just Your Life"...GREAT way for me to start today) and just let 'er rip. Only song I skipped was "All Nightmare Long" (which I like from that album, but when it started I wasn't feeling it and wanted to continue my great pace), made it to "The Judas Kiss" before I felt like I was 'done'.

It just...*whew*, one of those feelings you know? I didn't burn the usual amount of active calories (700-800) or even my record of active calories in a workout (over 1000), but I just felt f***ING GREAT afterwards.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
We will see... ;-) Metallica is a good start.

:laugh:

Let's just say that I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you (on me getting in to other heavy artists). The time frame for me to do that would've been when I was in high school, when I was WAY more in to Metallica. I dabbled in a little Disturbed, Godsmack, and a few others that I forget. But now? Nah, not my cup 'o tea. I think the only reason I still listen to Metallica is because I love their older stuff and have liked enough of their most recent stuff.

BUT, my friend, I would agree with the notion, and today was just a great effing workout from minute one all the way to the end.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
:laugh:

Let's just say that I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you (on me getting in to other heavy artists). The time frame for me to do that would've been when I was in high school, when I was WAY more in to Metallica. I dabbled in a little Disturbed, Godsmack, and a few others that I forget. But now? Nah, not my cup 'o tea. I think the only reason I still listen to Metallica is because I love their older stuff and have liked enough of their most recent stuff.

BUT, my friend, I would agree with the notion, and today was just a great effing workout from minute one all the way to the end.

Hmmm... you could try the ".5: The Gray Chapter" album from Slipknot, works pretty well in the gym. If you are not used to this kind of music you may have to listen to it 10 times before starting to like it though, getting used to the level of aggressiveness and power. It's (almost) impossible not to like a song like a "The Devil In I", try it, perfect for the gym. ;-)

Reactions: RockLobster

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Hmmm... you could try the ".5: The Gray Chapter" album from Slipknot, works pretty well in the gym. If you are not used to this kind of music you may have to listen to it 10 times before starting to like it though, getting used to the level of aggressiveness and power. ;-)

Nope, I hated Slipknot when I was in high school listening to Metallica and those other heavy artists. And as my music tastes have really mellowed out as I've gotten older, I still loathe them.

Like I said my friend, :laugh:, I wouldn't hold your breath ;). As heavy as I'll ever go is Metallica, and I'm perfectly happy with that!

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Nope, I hated Slipknot when I was in high school listening to Metallica and those other heavy artists.

Like I said my friend, :laugh:, I wouldn't hold your breath ;)

".5: The Gray Chapter" is a more commercial easy listening type of album from Slipknot, melodic but still heavy. I mentioned "The Devil In I" but if this is too heavy you have to like "Killpop", a great song.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
All you have to do is listen. ;-) Ok, well... I like Metallica for ever.

dont-tell-me-what-to-do-gif-12.gif

(you a good guy though)

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Second date down, we did brunch and walked around for shopping. Definitely not as flirty or fun as our text communications. Probably partially due to where we were.

Only been a week, but I really need to figure out how to get her to open up in person. Thoughts on suggesting we cook together at my place for the third date?

I haven't seriously dated in awhile so I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Second date down, we did brunch and walked around for shopping. Definitely not as flirty or fun as our text communications. Probably partially due to where we were.

Only been a week, but I really need to figure out how to get her to open up in person. Thoughts on suggesting we cook together at my place for the third date?

I haven't seriously dated in awhile so I'm flying by the seat of my pants.
Sounds like fun, assuming you can actually cook. Although I wouldn't take my advice alone, with how little I date.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Metallica is tired.

Yes, but I will like them for ever anyway.

I've seen them live multiple times (I think...4x now? will be #5 in March of next year), the second time was in 2004, after I graduated high school, here in Wichita. After their last song of their encore, Lars personally gave me one of his drum sticks. He went around and personally handed them out, I was the first one he handed one too, and we had a brief bond over our great beards. He saw several hands trying to grab it, but he shouted "back off" and zeroed it into my hands. Great memory.

Yeah, he absolutely catches a lot of flak for his personality, and I get it, hell even he gets it, but there's no denying that that band loves its fans.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I've seen them live multiple times (I think...4x now? will be #5 in March of next year), the second time was in 2004, after I graduated high school, here in Wichita. After their last song of their encore, Lars personally gave me one of his drum sticks. He went around and personally handed them out, I was the first one he handed one too, and we had a brief bond over our great beards. He saw several hands trying to grab it, but he shouted "back off" and zeroed it into my hands. Great memory.

Yeah, he absolutely catches a lot of flak for his personality, and I get it, hell even he gets it, but there's no denying that that band loves its fans.
Ah, that's cool!

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Nope, I hated Slipknot when I was in high school listening to Metallica and those other heavy artists. And as my music tastes have really mellowed out as I've gotten older, I still loathe them.

Like I said my friend, :laugh:, I wouldn't hold your breath ;). As heavy as I'll ever go is Metallica, and I'm perfectly happy with that!

Try Tool. I'm not really a metal guy but I enjoy them.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Ah, that's cool!

Like I said, I get the flak he catches for his personality, and I'd be surprised if he didn't understand it either, but when you're at one of their shows, they just give everything in themselves to their fans that night. And when I usually tell people that their first response is "Yeah, but he did that Napster thing..." and the truth is as he tells it--it was a band decision, and while he spoke out first he believed that Hetfield and Hammett wouldn't be far behind with their public response to it. Because it honestly was the entire band who didn't like their catalog being made available for free, he just inadvertently became the only face of the band for it.

But all that is water under the bridge now, the music industry has drastically changed.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I have a bunch of Marilyn Manson on my workout list it seems.
Like I said, I get the flak he catches for his personality, and I'd be surprised if he didn't understand it either, but when you're at one of their shows, they just give everything in themselves to their fans that night. And when I usually tell people that their first response is "Yeah, but he did that Napster thing..." and the truth is as he tells it--it was a band decision, and while he spoke out first he believed that Hetfield and Hammett wouldn't be far behind with their public response to it. Because it honestly was the entire band who didn't like their catalog being made available for free, he just inadvertently became the only face of the band for it.

But all that is water under the bridge now, the music industry has drastically changed.
I didn't even remember that before you brought it up.

It's not really even that their songs are bad or boring, they're pretty good, but I feel like Metallica's just sorta passé.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

You should try some power metal, it's fantastic pump-up music, and in a lot of ways not even as heavy as Metallica.

Love me some nerd metal.

Reactions: S E P H and 21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad