OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm curious what industry standard is for vacation time? I'm being offered 2 weeks paid vacation. Seems low because I currently get 4 but after a bit of research it seems kind of normal. Would increase to 3 weeks after 4 years.

My company is "unlimited" with the unwritten expectation it hovers around 3 weeks. If that helps your review.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There's not enough likes for this post. We really need a positive culture change where we get rid of participation awards and just more frequently compliment people on their strengths and help them with their weaknesses honestly. I miss that part of being in Japan, everyone was so damn positive it was rubbing off.
The last time I offered a chick a compliment she went all Feminazi on me telling me how I only view women as sex objects and only want her body instead of her personality.

I lied it didn't happen to me, it happened to one of my friends.

I also lied, I never seen a hot feminist.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Went to see Tomb Raider.
Loved how the "curse" or whatever in the tomb wasn't a CGI evil spirit.

Another spoiler. :sarcasm:
Alicia's a fox.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The last time I offered a chick a compliment she went all Feminazi on me telling me how I only view women as sex objects and only want her body instead of her personality.

Girl I'm going out with again tomorrow is somewhere between craving and desiring them, hard to tell which yet.

This feminist movement is a pain as a guy. I'm all about supporting women, as well as anyone else. But just like anything else it needs to be done in moderation. No reason to flaunt how guys put you down in the workplace or how compliments or pet names are sexist. Seems like there's nothing we can do right sometimes.

It's gone so overboard I almost got in trouble at work because a girl complained I made her uncomfortable by booking a car service to take us to the airport together instead of driving. It was international... Who wants to drive when coming back from overseas. And that's all it took to acuse me.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's gone so overboard I almost got in trouble at work because a girl complained I made her uncomfortable by booking a car service to take us to the airport together instead of driving. It was international... Who wants to drive when coming back from overseas. And that's all it took to acuse me.

You chauvinistic pig... But for real, how would you get in trouble for that? Like who in management is going to think, wow we really need to reprimand him for this.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
You chauvinistic pig... But for real, how would you get in trouble for that? Like who in management is going to think, wow we really need to reprimand him for this.

It was an all women management team. Only reason I even found out was because one of the women had worked with me for years and knew better, sticking up for me.

I did learn one thing, just because I think I'm doing something nice doesn't make it true to someone else. Best just to ask.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
There’s definitely a flip side to the whole politically correct movement - we’ve learned to live in such a damn bubble within ourselves the last 20 years that we just assume everyone is “out to get us” instead of appreciating each other, even if some people have different means of showing affection. It’s sad.

At least in American society we’ve become more and more comfortable with the notion that we don’t need others very much in our lives and we can just solo everything. Some older people I’ve talked to have hit it spot on - they’ve told me there’s going to be a time and a place where as a society we are going to have to depend on one another for survival. And they’ve got concerns on how we’re going to be able to handle that situation. Totally agree with them. Once we’re no longer able to support and care for each other no matter the background, political affiliation, race, etc - we become so much weaker.

Reactions: S E P H

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
No matter what guys do or don't do nowadays it can be labeled as somehow being sexist. It'd be different in a work setting, or in a way that could seriously jeopardize my job or something in my life, but I feel like being called sexist, racist, or anything like that has lost a lot of it's oomph. I have two friends who are pretty big feminists, and in the past they've said how something I did was sexist and before I would take it more to heart, but now it's pretty much out one ear out the other because being called that is just so overused now that it's lost power.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Girl I'm going out with again tomorrow is somewhere between craving and desiring them, hard to tell which yet.

This feminist movement is a pain as a guy. I'm all about supporting women, as well as anyone else. But just like anything else it needs to be done in moderation. No reason to flaunt how guys put you down in the workplace or how compliments or pet names are sexist. Seems like there's nothing we can do right sometimes.

My post was totally a joke, but I can't believe that actually happened to you. Sorry bud.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I hate that everyone has to be a “group” fighting for their rights - feminists, blacks, whites, LGBT, etc.. It’s like we’re all in damn high school cliques and attack each other. Nobody’s more important than any other “group” - if we all just treat each other like humans that’s all that matters!

I get overly sensitive on this type of stuff - but what happened to you Lonewolfe.....that stuff kinda pisses me off.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It really is toxic and ironically enough, sexist/racist. But since it's against white people or men it's okay. I do accept the idea that there is a certain level of privilege for being a man, or being white, but literally every group has certain social advantages and disadvantages.

Reactions: Bonzai12

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It really is toxic and ironically enough, sexist/racist. But since it's against white people or men it's okay. I do accept the idea that there is a certain level of privilege for being a man, or being white, but literally every group has certain social advantages and disadvantages.
The level of privilege for being both at once is HIGH. But that doesn't mean the clique activities aren't counterproductive.

Reactions: Oxymoron

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
That’s an interesting question - if you’d swap

I think there’s a lot of opportunity for minorities - they are out there in terms of scholarships etc.. But once you get into the workforce it’s sometimes not equal. But then again in some companies/industries there’s explicit favoritism towards minorities. In government contracts they sometimes track how much a company does business with minority, woman, or veteran owned companies. I spent 10 years at an employer where we kept a minority supplier on board forever just to meet the government requirement. The bad thing is that this supplier was a consistently low performer but they were about our only option to meet standards. It became a little rediculous at times.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah I don't deny that a white guy probably has more 'perks' than any other group, but that's shrinking more and more. The biggest thing though is how any problem a guy might have is shunned and basically ignored, but if you're a women or person of colour it's taken very seriously. Suicide, drop out rates, depression are all major problems with young men but it's never talked about. A shitty double standard.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
LOL, you know that's not true.
Then how do you know that the opposite is true in today's day and age? White males are getting targeted in medical and other graduate school applications to increase campus diversity.

Hell, even Asians are getting knocked off points from the MCAT so schools can justify taking in less intelligent students just because those students are somehow Latino or Black. E: That doesn't mean all Black or Latino students are less qualified in becoming doctors, but med committees are targeting certain people due to backgrounds instead of the needed criteria. You want the best doctors in any country, I could careless if majority of the best doctors happened to be from one race either that be White or Hispanic.

How to Get into Medical School If You’re White or Asian

So now you're at a disadvantage for being white to get into medical schools even if you're a superior candidate.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
White men account for 72% of corporate leadership at 16 of the Fortune 500 companies

Amazon, which employs more than 88,400 around the world according to its careers website, noted that its workforce was, unsurprisingly, composed of most white males. Some 63% of its "Amazonians" were male, while white employees made up 60% of the workplace. Those percentages were even higher for employees in managerial positions, of which 75% were male and 71% were white.
imrs.php

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
That's not surprising at all, but also a very shallow example. I'd rather see an age breakdown of those statistics before giving them too much credit.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
That's not surprising at all, but also a very basic example. I'd rather see an age breakdown of those statistics before giving them too much credit.
That's also true and it should be taken into account.

Then again, I'm studying in a female dominated field, and I fully expect quick employment, and to move up the ladder faster. Ambition is a big factor, but the social structure affords me the ambition.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So now we're debating men versus women now yes? Because those statistics are not only/just "white men" in the first one by the way.

Your first graph can be countered with this...
According to the 2015 American Time Use Survey by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
, among full-time employees, men worked 8.2 hours compared to women working 7.8 hours. This might not seem like much, but it adds up.
It is fair to expect that whichever sex works longer hours would get paid more when you compare overall salaries. This study confirms that we need to account for hours worked in the discussion over equal pay.

...not only that, but this...

A market research company, in 147 out of 150 of the biggest cities in the U.S., the median full-time salaries of young women are 8% higher than those of the guys in their peer group. In two cities, Atlanta and Memphis, those women are making about 20% more. This squares with earlier research from Queens College, New York, that had suggested that this was happening in major metropolises. But the new study suggests that the gap is bigger than previously thought, with young women in New York City, Los Angeles and San Diego making 17%, 12% and 15% more than their male peers, respectively. And it also holds true even in reasonably small areas like the Raleigh-Durham region and Charlotte in North Carolina (both 14% more), and Jacksonville, Fla. (6%).

Breaking News, Analysis, Politics, Blogs, News Photos, Video, Tech Reviews - TIME.com

So if you work the same job and the same hours as a women, you're more than likely to earn higher pay than a man. The problem why the discrepancy of F500 companies seem widely strange is because majority of women don't work full hour jobs or beyond the 40 per hour work week. As for your second graphic, well duh dude, there are statistically more white people in NA and Europe than there are of different races. Of course more white men and women will have more jobs than minorities. They're called minorities for a reason, and in the dictionary by Marriam-Websiter, the definition of it is "the smaller in number of two groups constituting a whole". To conclude, the second graphic does nothing to convince me that white privilege is a determining factor. I actually provided you factual evidence that it is a CENTRAL factor against white people when it comes to getting into medical school. I am not arguing that white privilege doesn't exist, it absolutely did, but to the degree people think it is in modern life I am not buying it. This is a good debate though, really enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad