Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 36.7%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.7%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 85 31.8%

• Total voters

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
Wingers can score 25 goals and get 25 assists, and those would be perfectly fine 2nd line outputs.

2nd line Centers should be at 60+ points, if the first line center gets 80 points.

My targets:
1st line = 100 g (42, 33, 25)
2nd line = 68 g (26, 24, 18)
3rd line = 47g (20, 15, 12)
4th line = 27 g (11, 9, 7)
defence = 48g (slightly less than current Habs pace)

Total Goals = 290 which would be 2nd to 4th in the league

I can't know if I'm excited without knowing the acquisition cost and AAV.
Might as well just get an entire new 1st line and drop everyone else down by that logic

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
You guys are hilarious. Ducks aren't shopping Zegras, let alone selling him off at a discount. This was a fun read though, for sure!

Reactions: kinghock

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I feel like there's two separate debates , If we can buy low on him I think every habs fan would be glad to have him.
I don't think Anaheim is selling low on him whatsoever , so what are people willing to give up ?

And don't tell me Something like Winnipeg first + Mesar/Barron , I mean something that Anaheim would actually take a call on
Problem is more often then not the cost is not as big as fans think a player is worth. It's quite often a package of middle six players and young guys/picks that on the surface have the value of a late 1st. And it also usually depends on how much they like a specific prospect/young player. Barron was taken 2 spots before one of Anaheim's pick, if he was a guy they really wanted they might still view him with a higher regard then we do. Not too mention given they signed Killorn and Gudas last offseason they might still be trying to be a playoff team and therefore might value a guy like Harris or Barron who can play right away more then they value a 1st.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Wingers can score 25 goals and get 25 assists, and those would be perfectly fine 2nd line outputs.

2nd line Centers should be at 60+ points, if the first line center gets 80 points.

My targets:
1st line = 100 g (42, 33, 25)
2nd line = 68 g (26, 24, 18)
3rd line = 47g (20, 15, 12)
4th line = 27 g (11, 9, 7)
defence = 48g (slightly less than current Habs pace)

Total Goals = 290 which would be 2nd to 4th in the league

I can't know if I'm excited without knowing the acquisition cost and AAV.
I'd have to dig in to see how reasonable those targets would be for a contending team but assuming the goal is to find the "right" distribution of goals to get to 290 then how are you accounting for the injury replacements, the 13th/14th forward who rotate in and out of the lineup will still all produce goals.

But taking the numbers as is,
I'd say Caufield, Suzuki, Slafkovsky are on track to exceed those 100 goals from the 1st line which would give us some leeway down the lineup.
Dach & Newhook are probably good for one of the mid 20s and the 18 goal parts of your 2nd line, so it's really a case of finding that one more mid 20s goal guy.
For the 47 goals from the 3rd line I guess we're hoping the prospects like Beck, Mesar, Roy, etc... can come in and provide that depth scoring but we probably need need to trade/sign a vet when we get closer to contending to fill one of those spots which isn't a problem so long as we manage our cap well.

So Zegras certainly makes sense if trying to fit those numbers.

Reactions: Miller Time

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
You guys are hilarious. Ducks aren't shopping Zegras, let alone selling him off at a discount. This was a fun read though, for sure!
1708498221407.gif

Last edited:

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
With dach and Newhook, there was a lot of chatter around the league about Montreal being invested in acquiring nhl ready young talent.

Even with Reinbacher, there was a general consensus that Montreal liked him a lot.

Even again with Slaf, there were a lot of reports that Montreal wanted him over wright as close to mid season.

Although there have been some rumblings, I don’t think it’s as legit as the other three heavy rumours.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Just a feeling as I have nothing really to base this on but i wouldn't be surprised if Zegras turns out to be a poor man's Marner. Very good in the regular season but performs a disappearing act in the playoffs. I think Hughes can find better than him.

Reactions: sampollock

McEsenpi

Apr 17, 2021
Just a feeling as I have nothing really to base this on but i wouldn't be surprised if Zegras turns out to be a poor man's Marner. Very good in the regular season but performs a disappearing act in the playoffs. I think Hughes can find better than him.
Well Zegras dominated all the wjc u20s and his junior league playoffs and single handedly did better than his peers. You clearlyyyy never watched him play. Guy is like Subban : a gamer. The bigger the stage the better he shows

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Maybe he’s a rich man’s Robbie Schremp?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Maybe you’re right. I just don’t see Newhook being a 2nd liner on a contending team unless the other two (Dach + Player X) are borderline elite.
I never said otherwise. But if he is a 25 goal winger, he could have his place there. If not, we need someone else for the 2nd line.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
type of player KH would go after. young and potential
I know some here feel NO WAY

so I guess we see you gets to say "told ya" when this is over

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Zegras is the right age and has the talent the team is sorely lacking.

There are serious question marks about his 200ft game, but I would take a gamble on him that he could still put it all together.

There were questions about Caufield's 200 ft. game, but here he is better defensively than he was even last year. There is room for Zegras to develop that aspect of his game. But what he already has is something the Habs really need.

For years, when Habs would get into the playoffs, all the other team needed to do is simply hone in on Pacioretty because he was the only one who was a threat to score. I get Zegras hasn't played in the playoffs, but the other team won't be able to focus on one player if you have Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Dach, and Zegras to worry about, among others.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
There were questions about Caufield's 200 ft. game, but here he is better defensively than he was even last year. There is room for Zegras to develop that aspect of his game. But what he already has is something the Habs really need.

For years, when Habs would get into the playoffs, all the other team needed to do is simply hone in on Pacioretty because he was the only one who was a threat to score. I get Zegras hasn't played in the playoffs, but the other team won't be able to focus on one player if you have Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Dach, and Zegras to worry about, among others.
agreed

players can change and be taught with the right coaching.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Anyone see this?

Seems like we’re one of 5 teams that have called the Ducks about Zegras

Reactions: sampollock

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I really hope we go all in for zegras, the BS narratives are hilarious. the kid wants to win and everyone hating on him is crazy
Zegras skill set is off the charts, his familiarity with MSL & Hughes is an advantage no other NHL team at present offers (let alone BFF Caufield), but to me the differentiator comes from the fact he’s got an on ice personality similar to Subban, that would only feed of the energy from an intense market like Mtl.

For all the naysayers, I would only present the improvement in Caufield’s overall game this season as exhibit A - his non existent defensive awareness & positioning has grown by leaps & bounds… no doubt there’s still a long ways to go but the progression I find quite impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad