Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 36.7%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.7%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 85 31.8%

• Total voters

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Not saying i'm pro or against trading for Zegras but ;

Habs 2024's 1st is NOT disponible for Zegras.

Habs 2025's 1st IS disponible for Zegras. And i'd say top 5 protection with relegation to 2026 without protection.

I think Habs 2025's 1st (top 5 protected) with a prospect added (Harris or Mesar kinda prospect tier) would get it done.

Getting Zegras would also help Kent release the pressure on drafting based on needs (top 6 forward) and go for best player available. I mean we have a more than solid prospect pool on D but if there is a 1st D available at our spot (Dickinson or Silayev), we should draft him if Celebrini, Demidov and Lindstrom are gone.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Acquire talent when the opportunity arises.

They could roll a 2nd line of 2nd chance 1st round centers.
Zegras - Dach - Newhook

It’d allow them to go BPA in the draft, in the event that a D is best on the board. Also, if the pick is a F, no need to rush him into the top 6.
Or assemble a juggernaut top 9 that creates matchup nightmares for opposing coaches. Hopefully we draft and/or nurture a few big-bodied forwards like Tuch to complement talented play-drivers. I agree with the bolded, as long as his salary and mindset fit the team and the ask from Ducks is reasonable. Teams get better with buy-low trades like this one. This team is still starved for forward talent.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Great, then I'll be the one writing a single "I told you" post. :laugh:
Is that you Mr Bergevin!! LOL

If you don't think we are going into a better spot, than where we were, not sure what to say.
Again, we will agree to disagree.
With any luck, habs fans will be happy with our 1st round picks, and the lineup that we move forward with, instead of putting it all on Da Goalie.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
One thing about Zegras is that he is one of the best passers I've ever seen at his age. If they get him to simplify his game, I think he could end up being one of the great playmakers of our generation.
I think Pierre Luc Dubois has a better chance of winning the Mark Messier Leadership Award then the scenario you laid out for Zegras.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Struggling players I could see HuGo target:

Zegras
Kakko
Alex Turcotte
PLD (with retention)

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Not saying i'm pro or against trading for Zegras but ;

Habs 2024's 1st is NOT disponible for Zegras.

Habs 2025's 1st IS disponible for Zegras. And i'd say top 5 protection with relegation to 2026 without protection.

I think Habs 2025's 1st (top 5 protected) with a prospect added (Harris or Mesar kinda prospect tier) would get it done.

Getting Zegras would also help Kent release the pressure on drafting based on needs (top 6 forward) and go for best player available. I mean we have a more than solid prospect pool on D but if there is a 1st D available at our spot (Dickinson or Silayev), we should draft him if Celebrini, Demidov and Lindstrom are gone.
We have already seen, where he will use draft capital to obtain other 1st round talents........I like the plan that we are working on...............

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Zegras

One thing about Zegras is that he is one of the best passers I've ever seen at his age. If they get him to simplify his game, I think he could end up being one of the great playmakers of our generation.
Didn't realize this................very interesting that he is a great playmaker.................I have just seen the hilight reels and he has scored some interesting goals!

Not sure if it will be him added to the top 6 or not..........but it has some merit.

Maybe
No
Maybe
Definitely not
Agreed!!

For the PLD crowd, he has less points than Slaf, and makes almost 10X the money...............a deal that is not one year old, and The Kings regret I would think..........

Reactions: HankyZetts

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Zegras
Kakko
Alex Turcotte
PLD (with retention)

As shitty as PLD has been, it is way too early for LA to trade him, especially with retention when he has another 7 years left.

I think out of the remaining guys Kakko makes the sense, another guy who could make sense is Holtz who has been stuck playing only 11 minutes in New Jersey's bottom six. He's got a good shot so he'd fit well with Dach next year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
As shitty as PLD has been, it is way too early for LA to trade him, especially with retention when he has another 7 years left.

I think out of the remaining guys Kakko makes the sense, another guy who could make sense is Holtz who has been stuck playing only 11 minutes in New Jersey's bottom six. He's got a good shot so he'd fit well with Dach next year.
Yes, most posters won't want to touch PLD with a 10 foot pole. But in reality, L.A. won't cut ties with him just yet. But if they were ready to cut ties with him, I don't think retaining 1M would prevent them from doing so. And if they retained 1M, we'd get him at the cap hit that HuGo wanted to get him at to fit their vision of the team's salary structure.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
So the greatest offensive talent we have seen in a decade, his career high in points is 65.

Max Domi had 72 a couple of years ago. And nobody is touting him as the greatest anything.

Domi was incredibly hyped on this board after his 72 pts season. So much so, that several people didn't want to trade him for 21 year old Laine.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wonder what the perception of "Habs need offensive talent" would be if Dach was healthy all year long and Newhook didn't have to play center and didn't have his major injury.

Probably a lot different than the desperation in this thread.. especially considering we are grabbing one of the top 4 forwards in this years draft.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I wonder what the perception of "Habs need offensive talent" would be if Dach was healthy all year long and Newhook didn't have to play center and didn't have his major injury.

Probably a lot different than the desperation in this thread.. especially considering we are grabbing one of the top 4 forwards in this years draft.
Definitely not as much.

I love Kirby Dach. He's a good kid and a good hockey player... but the man (so far in his career) is a bit of a band-aid. He's Steven Stamkos pt. 2. It's hard to reliably pencil him in and assume he's going to be good to go and contributing at all times.

I would rather the fill in for Dach be Zegras and not Newhook/Dvorak/Evans/ or some other scrub who isn't going to contribute even close to as much. Depth is okay, TALENTED depth is the way to go.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Zegras
Kakko
Alex Turcotte
PLD (with retention)
We could all see the potential with Dach and Newhook. I just don’t see it in Turcotte. He’s shown nothing to make him a worthwhile acquisition.

Reactions: HabsForHire

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I think when your top line is basically ~70 point players, I think your 2nd line has to be more than the 40-50 point player Newhook seems to be if you want to be taken seriously. There’s still a big need for offence.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Or assemble a juggernaut top 9 that creates matchup nightmares for opposing coaches. Hopefully we draft and/or nurture a few big-bodied forwards like Tuch to complement talented play-drivers. I agree with the bolded, as long as his salary and mindset fit the team and the ask from Ducks is reasonable. Teams get better with buy-low trades like this one. This team is still starved for forward talent.
I love the top 9 nightmare approach. And I think that’s what we’ll get. I would actually see Heineman play that role before Tuch. He plays a heavy NA game and has higher upside. At this point, I’m not even sure they’ll sign Tuch!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Which buy-low trade is available?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Zegras
Kakko
Alex Turcotte
PLD (with retention)
I'm not sure why you think Zegras is a struggling player. It's his first season where he's limited by injuries. Got to give him the same chances Dach got right? Even then do you put Dach in the struggling category?

Kakko I hope we're never touching with 9 foot clown pole. Guy is overrated like Puljujarvi or more familiarly: Armia.

Turcotte and PLD I don't see happening. Kings seem to be very close to their own rebuild, Doughty is going to be 35, Kopitar 38. Even with PLD's incoming NMC, they'll adapt to what he needs before retaining on a 8 years deal. Turcotte is just not worth anything trading for ah.

Reactions: kinghock

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure why you think Zegras is a struggling player. It's his first season where he's limited by injuries. Got to give him the same chances Dach got right? Even then do you put Dach in the struggling category?

Kakko I hope we're never touching with 9 foot clown pole. Guy is overrated like Puljujarvi or more familiarly: Armia.

Turcotte and PLD I don't see happening. Kings seem to be very close to their own rebuild, Doughty is going to be 35, Kopitar 38. Even with PLD's incoming NMC, they'll adapt to what he needs before retaining on a 8 years deal. Turcotte is just not worth anything trading for ah.
fair point about zegras not struggling. but he's a player that the Ducks will reportedly shop, so he could be available...

We'll see what LA choose to do with PLD before his NMC kicks in... Sure, I would guess try to make it work. But if they decide to cut their losses, I could see them retaining 1M to make a deal work to get the bulk of his contract off their books.

Reactions: sampollock

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Zegras
Kakko
Alex Turcotte
PLD (with retention)

The first 3, I can see. I can add maybe Kent Johnson from Columbus.

PLD? Not a chance in hell, even with retention.

- Turcotte doesn't excite me as much.
- Zegras does excite me because he's a dynamic player. And we can use one of those.
- Kakko interests me. Particularly since he's the only one of the group that has size (6'3" and 205 lbs). He isn't really a physical player, but at least he's a bigger body to have to handle.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think when your top line is basically ~70 point players, I think your 2nd line has to be more than the 40-50 point player Newhook seems to be if you want to be taken seriously. There’s still a big need for offence.
Wingers can score 25 goals and get 25 assists, and those would be perfectly fine 2nd line outputs.

2nd line Centers should be at 60+ points, if the first line center gets 80 points.

My targets:
1st line = 100 g (42, 33, 25)
2nd line = 68 g (26, 24, 18)
3rd line = 47g (20, 15, 12)
4th line = 27 g (11, 9, 7)
defence = 48g (slightly less than current Habs pace)

Total Goals = 290 which would be 2nd to 4th in the league

The first 3, I can see. I can add maybe Kent Johnson from Columbus.

PLD? Not a chance in hell, even with retention.

- Turcotte doesn't excite me as much.
- Zegras does excite me because he's a dynamic player. And we can use one of those.
- Kakko interests me. Particularly since he's the only one of the group that has size (6'3" and 205 lbs). He isn't really a physical player, but at least he's a bigger body to have to handle.
I can't know if I'm excited without knowing the acquisition cost and AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad