Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 36.7%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.7%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 85 31.8%

• Total voters

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I can't know if I'm excited without knowing the acquisition cost and AAV.

I'm talking about if the player excites me.

With any player, the price to acquire them doesn't really need to be mentioned. We're all on the same page here that you don't sell the farm for any of these guys.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
There is no doubt that Zegras is VERY talented and seemingly able to score at will, but his points say he is very good, but not great. There are many knocks against him, but, after watching Eric Engels, I have changed my mind. He said Dach had the same criticisms, and we haven't heard any of them since he arrived. Maybe the new management can work their magic again.
If the price is right, a low 1st, and a decent prospect, sure, we can trade for Zegras.

Reactions: BLONG7

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I wonder what the perception of "Habs need offensive talent" would be if Dach was healthy all year long and Newhook didn't have to play center and didn't have his major injury.

Probably a lot different than the desperation in this thread.. especially considering we are grabbing one of the top 4 forwards in this years draft.
This is likely the most likely disappointing thing with this season - not having additional info on how to round up the top 6. Injury to Dach, Newhook, RHP just creates a hole in the evaluation of the needs of the team. Knowing that Dach cemented his role as a offensive C, then you know what to look for after but now... so many question marks.

Reactions: Archijerej

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The first 3, I can see. I can add maybe Kent Johnson from Columbus.

PLD? Not a chance in hell, even with retention.

- Turcotte doesn't excite me as much.
- Zegras does excite me because he's a dynamic player. And we can use one of those.
- Kakko interests me. Particularly since he's the only one of the group that has size (6'3" and 205 lbs). He isn't really a physical player, but at least he's a bigger body to have to handle.

Why would Hughes not be interested in PLD? There was interest last offseason (even knowing the expected contract he'd want). It also sounds like Hughes may be looking for someone more established.

The thing with PLD is there isn't as much a big difference between his play in Winnipeg and his play in LA, more than there's a big difference in usage. PLD is a big forward who can play center. He drives play offensively 5v5, but doesn't produce much there. He's also not that great defensively. The big difference is that he was a strong PP performer in Winnipeg and doesn't play nearly as much PP in LA. Because LA is already a great 5v5 team, has two clearly better 5v5 centers (Kopitar and Danault) and have preferred PP guys, he's not going to look good at his contract.

He's admittedly not a perfect fit in Montreal, but the Habs do need someone who can drive offense 5v5 on a line. I think he'd also be a good complementary fit on the PP with Suzuki, Caufield and Slafkovsky.

If he was available, I don't think he'd be available with retention, but his cost would be SIGNIFICANTLY less than what LA paid and you may be able to move one of Anderson or Gallagher (probably Anderson) as cap ballast as part of the cost.

I don't think he's available though, as the real reason LA traded for him hasn't changed. Kopitar is 36 and doesn't have that many seasons left to be a strong top-6 C. What may change his availability is if they view Byfield as a center going forward, because he's arguably having a better season 5v5 than Dubois has ever had and has the tools to play that role.

I'm not really interested in Turcotte. Kakko is interesting, but I don't love them going after a pure LWer given what the cost should be. I think he's less available with the injuries New York has been dealing with and how they may project out. Zegras is really interesting, but I'm not sure he makes sense at the cost it would take to acquire him.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Wingers can score 25 goals and get 25 assists, and those would be perfectly fine 2nd line outputs.

2nd line Centers should be at 60+ points, if the first line center gets 80 points.

My targets:
1st line = 100 g (42, 33, 25)
2nd line = 68 g (26, 24, 18)
3rd line = 47g (20, 15, 12)
4th line = 27 g (11, 9, 7)
defence = 48g (slightly less than current Habs pace)

Total Goals = 290 which would be 2nd to 4th in the league
But the only reason your 1st line produces like that is because they have the vast majority of PP time (almost the full 2 mins). I just don’t see any current Habs 2nd liners capable of scoring 26 or 24 goals, let alone most of them 5v5.

Also the goal scoring by the Habs defence this year is a complete aberration. Last year they scored 33 total goals. 48 is just not really feasible.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
100% and to boot, I just don't get where all the hate comes from!!! I mean is it because he does the michigan? Assuming it's that and he is too flashy, thank God we didn't draft that bum Bedard and his michigan!!!
The hate is because people see names they are fans of flying on trade proposals. (Hutson, Mailloux, etc...)

Mother hens counting their chickens, unhatched. ;)

Then they invent any kind of excuse to shoot down the trade, and make themselves comfortable in their safe zones.

Reactions: 1909

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
But the only reason your 1st line produces like that is because they have the vast majority of PP time (almost the full 2 mins). I just don’t see any current Habs 2nd liners capable of scoring 26 or 24 goals, let alone most of them 5v5.

Also the goal scoring by the Habs defence this year is a complete aberration. Last year they scored 33 total goals. 48 is just not really feasible.
These are targets for a roster build, not what I think the current players will score.

The second line will probably have one forward on PP1, and he will likely score goals, as we saw with Monahan.

The D scoring should not taper off once we have one or two more offensive types (Mailloux and Hutson??).

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
There is no doubt that Zegras is VERY talented and seemingly able to score at will, but his points say he is very good, but not great. There are many knocks against him, but, after watching Eric Engels, I have changed my mind. He said Dach had the same criticisms, and we haven't heard any of them since he arrived. Maybe the new management can work their magic again.
If the price is right, a low 1st, and a decent prospect, sure, we can trade for Zegras.
A kid who jumps in the league and can get 60 points, is a very talented player........especially on a crap team.......................we know all about that, with CC, Slaf, and Suzuki.

I think we all know we need to score goals........we have been starved for goals since the days of Koivu/Kovalev, Markov and company................and you have to relinquish something to get something.

Our coaches have done a great job with our 1st line in helping them score, but also defend......pretty sure we can make Zegras a good two way player also?

As for the cost? That's for the real GM's to decide....I hate speculating, because it just causes in house disagreements amongst the posters..............and don't dare go on the main board, because they didn't think we would get a 1st for Moneyhands....

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Which buy-low trade is available?
If Zegras is available for the rumored ask, and is as disgruntled as rumored as well, that strikes me as buy-low, going by his rookie-year performance. Hopefully Hugo can work out something less than the Habs own first-rounder, structured around one of the myriad defensemen they have in abundance. He need not be the only option though, since there are a few forwards mentioned in this thread who are also intriguing and whose stock has taken a downturn with their teams. But he seems the most talented of those apparently available, looking at the names mentioned so far.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Why would Hughes not be interested in PLD? There was interest last offseason (even knowing the expected contract he'd want). It also sounds like Hughes may be looking for someone more established.

The thing with PLD is there isn't as much a big difference between his play in Winnipeg and his play in LA, more than there's a big difference in usage. PLD is a big forward who can play center. He drives play offensively 5v5, but doesn't produce much there. He's also not that great defensively. The big difference is that he was a strong PP performer in Winnipeg and doesn't play nearly as much PP in LA. Because LA is already a great 5v5 team, has two clearly better 5v5 centers (Kopitar and Danault) and have preferred PP guys, he's not going to look good at his contract.

He's admittedly not a perfect fit in Montreal, but the Habs do need someone who can drive offense 5v5 on a line. I think he'd also be a good complementary fit on the PP with Suzuki, Caufield and Slafkovsky.

If he was available, I don't think he'd be available with retention, but his cost would be SIGNIFICANTLY less than what LA paid and you may be able to move one of Anderson or Gallagher (probably Anderson) as cap ballast as part of the cost.

I don't think he's available though, as the real reason LA traded for him hasn't changed. Kopitar is 36 and doesn't have that many seasons left to be a strong top-6 C. What may change his availability is if they view Byfield as a center going forward, because he's arguably having a better season 5v5 than Dubois has ever had and has the tools to play that role.

I'm not really interested in Turcotte. Kakko is interesting, but I don't love them going after a pure LWer given what the cost should be. I think he's less available with the injuries New York has been dealing with and how they may project out. Zegras is really interesting, but I'm not sure he makes sense at the cost it would take to acquire him.
Why would Hughes be interested in a forward who makes 8.5M and is on his was to a 35 pt season? And for 7 more years? Yikes..............horrible just horrible.
Kings fans are not even sure PLD likes playing hockey anymore?

8.5M better get you a 75-85 pt forward.................not 35 pts...............

Reactions: xposbrad

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Why would Hughes be interested in a forward who makes 8.5M and is on his was to a 35 pt season? And for 7 more years? Yikes..............horrible just horrible.
Kings fans are not even sure PLD likes playing hockey anymore?

8.5M better get you a 75-85 pt forward.................not 35 pts...............
is CC at 85 point player? at his salary

Reactions: 1909

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

PLD last season had a lower AAV and in the off-season as a UFA, Hughes can set a price for him.

Now he's guaranteed to be another 7 years at $8.5M. I understand that if LA retain, he'll be at a lower cap hit.

But I don't think Hughes is now inteterested in taking on someone with that term.

Had he had shorter term, then I wouldn't be as adamant about thinking that there's zero chance he'd be a target.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
is CC at 85 point player? at his salary
CC is at 7.8M and should be around 70 pts...........and he will be once we are not just a one line team.

CC is currently pacing at 67 pts for 82 games with making 750K less than PLD.........PLD again is pacing for 35 pts this year...............do we want some of that? Pretty sure Drouin is out pacing Dubois this year, and makes 10 X less the salary.

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

It's sort of weird LA traded so much for PLD, including players who have more points than he does, when they already had better options. I guess it's either straight depth or size for the playoffs?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It's sort of weird LA traded so much for PLD, including players who have more points than he does, when they already had better options. I guess it's either straight depth or size for the playoffs?

I'm not sure they expected Byfield to break out the way he has in his D+4 season. They may also not see him as a center.

You also can't have too many forwards that can play center.

Reactions: dcyhabs

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
These are targets for a roster build, not what I think the current players will score.

The second line will probably have one forward on PP1, and he will likely score goals, as we saw with Monahan.

The D scoring should not taper off once we have one or two more offensive types (Mailloux and Hutson??).
Maybe you’re right. I just don’t see Newhook being a 2nd liner on a contending team unless the other two (Dach + Player X) are borderline elite.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I feel like there's two separate debates , If we can buy low on him I think every habs fan would be glad to have him.
I don't think Anaheim is selling low on him whatsoever , so what are people willing to give up ?

And don't tell me Something like Winnipeg first + Mesar/Barron , I mean something that Anaheim would actually take a call on

Reactions: Holystik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad