Speculation: The All Encompassing Edmonton Oilers Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
We're in an era of tandem goaltending, and I'm not sure there's another team in the league that has a pair as good as Boston's? I get why it would make some sense to shop a goalie, but I'd be hesitant to mess with a working formula. Probably get a better haul for him at the TDL.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
"may be" (also) true... Unless you're ignoring reality, it's quantifiably true. They're currently trash with him and will likely be trash without him as well.
You still need to market a team and sell tickets . Mcdavid does that...and besides the coach will be gone first ..fast forward amlnf.it comes true Oilers will improve now

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
The insects are out from under the rotting trees I see.

Stars could offer their whole franchise for McDavid and it won't be enough.
Wrong. There are several situations where mcdavid wouldn't return a player one for one. Bedard comes to mind . Perhaps Jack Hughes. Makar. The real ? Is this one of those situations

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
You still need to market a team and sell tickets . Mcdavid does that...and besides the coach will be gone first ..fast forward amlnf.it comes true Oilers will improve now
Your priorities are about as fcked up as your team is - Selling tickets and marketing.
pathetic.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
This trash GM got rid of so much personality from the dressing room in a year, it's clear it's no longer fun coming to work. Glue guys like Shore, Kostin, Yamamoto, etc. Is one of the main reasons for the lull. I guarantee you.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Your priorities are about as fcked up as your team is - Selling tickets and marketing.
pathetic.
Your knowledge is limited . My team? Hardly!!! Only an idiot ( hmmm) would consider moving mcdavid from the Oilers . Unless he forces thier hand . Your logic here is weak and pathetic. Hockey makes $$$ and makes some look foolish

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Hyman is not what Boston needs and really the Oilers don't match up with the Bruins for a trade, the only players on EDM that Boston would want for Ullmark are not available, RNH is an ok player who had a career year last year, his other 10+ season he never came close to that, he is not the answer for Boston either.

Reactions: Hookslide

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I can't see RNH as a 1C tbh. I'm a huge fan but he's a 2C or 1W.

FTR.. I didn't think Zacha could do it either so take my view with a grain of salt.lol

Isnt rnh a pretty good playmaker? Might mesh well with Pastrnak

Reactions: Czechboy

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Good luck having a serious discussion in any thread involving McDavid. If you don’t agree that he’s worth the entire core of a championship team all by himself then you get flamed by a fanbase that hasn’t seen a championship in their city since most of them were born.
Anyone agreeing that McDavid wouldn't get Slavin straight up are not interested in having a serious discussion .

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Seems odd I doubt Hyman puts up 20 goals on the bruins i think OP is overvaluing Hyman
Hyman puts up 25 plus on Boston without breaking a sweat

Being able to swap between Swayman and Ullmark every game leads to more wins then having Zach Hyman, bruins say no.
Yes !!! Finally some logic . It's an absolute advantage to.have 2 top flight goalies especially when they clearly support each other..

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
To me the ideal package would be: 1-2 Contract players; 1-2 1st round picks and at least 2 top tier prospects. One of the players going back to Edmonton should be a goalie.

That’s realistic, but Edmonton fans would likely be disappointed (at least initially) with the quality of those players and prospects.

For starters any team that trades for McDavid with two years left on his deal is looking to win a Cup in the immediate future, so they aren’t going to gut their roster of its top players to do so - especially if said players are on reasonable longterm deals. Maybe a team like Toronto that also has overpriced stars with little term remaining would swap one to upgrade, since they don’t have the cap flexibility to add McDavid outright, but then the bulk of the value in the return would be short-term which isn’t conducive to the rebuild that the Oilers need. Or you might get one or two good but moderately overpriced complementary players with term back. But you aren’t getting an elite player with term on a good deal for only two more years of McDavid.

As for the goalie, again any team trading for McDavid is looking to win now, so you aren’t getting their best goalie. At best you’re looking at the 1b in a 1a/1b situation, or maybe a veteran starter with a highly touted prospect behind him who makes him expendable. Now if you’re willing to take a prospect goalie rather than an established NHLer you’d have more options, but that would of course be a bigger risk (on the other hand you could potentially end up with a better goalie this way - you pays your money and you takes your chances with this approach.)

And as for the prospects, in a cap world nobody is giving up a truly elite prospect who can contribute at a high level on his ELC and be under several more years of control after that for two more years of McDavid. First of all the sort of team looking to trade for him is unlikely to have such a player, and the teams that do are likely rebuilding and in no position to trade for McD. If somehow a competitive team does have an elite prospect, that player would be more valuable to their Cup chances contributing on his ELC than McDavid would be at $12.5M. So again, you might well get a competitive team’s top prospects, but they won’t be truly elite ones.

At the end of the day the return isn’t going to wow Edmonton fans - at least not right away. The hope would be that the picks pan out and that one or more of the players/prospects ends up surprising to the upside, which has been known to happen (the Lindros and Eichel trades come to mind.) But the masses of Oilers fans who fantasize about getting established elite players with term back will be sorely disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fansixty9

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Anyone agreeing that McDavid wouldn't get Slavin straight up are not interested in having a serious discussion .

No, they just understand how the salary cap works.

In a non-cap world you’d at least have a chance of being right, though even then team positional need is a valid factor that must be taken into account. I surely don’t need to tell Oilers fans what a lack of defense does to a team’s winning chances even with McDavid in the lineup.

But with the salary cap you also have to look at what Carolina would need to do to fit McDavid in under the cap. There’s a $7.2M gap between McDavid’s and Slavin’s cap hits; Carolina currently has about $2M of full-season cap space available. So they’d need to cut another $5.2M to make the cap work.

To give an idea of just how huge an impact that is, for them to do that with a single player would require replacing Svechnikov or Orlov with a plug. More likely they spread the pain around by moving a couple moderately-priced complementary players and replacing them with prospects. Either way though, Carolina’s depth suffers in a big way beyond the loss of Slavin alone.

So no, in a cap world there’s no such thing as Slavin straight-up for McDavid - not unless Edmonton is going to retain 50% to make their cap hits at least close to comparable (which obviously isn’t happening.) Otherwise any hypothetical straight-up trade involving McDavid that doesn’t have a Matthews or a Marner going back the other way is going to have a significant negative cap impact on the other team, which in turn lowers the attractiveness of the idea for that team. So Slavin at $5.3M could well be preferable to McDavid at $12.5M given what else Carolina would have to give up to resolve the cap imbalance.

Reactions: Tryamw and geehaad

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
That’s realistic, but Edmonton fans would likely be disappointed (at least initially) with the quality of those players and prospects.
Good points. The roster players I had in mind would have cap hits that would roughly add up to McDavid's so that the market could be expanded. That could be any player with a cap hit above 4-5 million. If the acquiring team wants to load Edmonton up with more picks and prospects then fine. Arizona, for example, could load the Oilers up with picks and call it a day.

Reactions: AndreRoy

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Campbell, Nurse and Kane are who I'd look at moving.

Kane has an attractive skill set, but I remember hearing he wasn't happy with how he was being used. I could be wrong, but he's the lowest ranking top player, so he can still get a good return, either to correct the roster or to kick start a rebuild.

Campbell is obviously a "must move" but really...I can't imagine that a team would take him on without a huge sweetener.

Nurse is just too expensive for what he does. Like with Campbell, he probably isn't going to garner a lot of interest, but having 7 years remaining while making more than Draisaitl each year is truly baffling.

RHN or Hyman are doing well, but could return a good deal of assets from other teams. Ekholm could probably get something from a team light on LHD. Most of the other players are pretty mid. Not bad, not great, probably earning the right cap hit, but just not someone I could see a team targeting specifically.

I guess the question is keep as much of the core as you can, or do a complete tear down? McDrai is a crazy pair and should be rebuilt around (with a new manager of course) but if another burn down is the way fans want to go, they'd receive a blank cheque from a team or two.

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
Your knowledge is limited . My team? Hardly!!! Only an idiot ( hmmm) would consider moving mcdavid from the Oilers . Unless he forces thier hand . Your logic here is weak and pathetic. Hockey makes $$$ and makes some look foolish
lol at your weak ego and easily hurt feelings. I clearly touched a nerve. Next time, if you don't want to be made fun of, don't lead with "marketing and selling tickets". Grow up and get some therapy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad