Speculation: The All Encompassing Edmonton Oilers Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Boston Ullmark or Buffalo Ullmark?

Over the past 2 season and whatever games this season lets compare Linus Ullmark and Jack Campbell!

At 5 on 5...

Campbell has 90 games and 4111 minutes in that time period between Toronto and Edmonton.
Ullmark with 97 and 4385 for Ullmark in Boston.

Campbell has faced 527 high danger shots in that period. Ullmark has faced 534.

Ullmark has faced 187 rush shots, Campbell 137.

Ullmark has faced 2129 shots overall, 2075 for Campbell.

Of course one has a 907 save percentage and one has a 934.

On the PK, it is a similar story, except its even more in Ullmark's favor.

This idea that he is a product of Boston is a bit silly. The Bruins are good at limiting second chances and less scrambling defense than Buffalo, Toronto or Edmonton, but it's not like Ullmark is playing a different sport here. Plenty of high danger and rush shots. Bob Essensa is really really good goalie coach.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Who are the dump candidates for the Oilers? I'd want at least the 2024 & 2025 firsts--one for Hart and one for the dump(s).

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
People thought the same when Bruins traded Thornton...Oilers need depth support for McDavid.
When Thornton was traded, he was underachieving, and hadn't produced nearly to the level of Draisaitl. One of the primary reasons for that trade was the disappearing acts in the playoffs. Draisaitl on the other hand is only behind Gretzky and Lemieux for P/GP in the post-season. That comparison is awful.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Funniest part about this is most of comments are from fans of other teams. Even your own fan base.

I am one of a very few Oiler fans that would trade McDavid and I would laugh at this deal. If Slavin played against McDavid 82 times a year he would get lite up more often then a Christmas tree does over the holidays. Some of the best defence men in the league has been made to look like fools when McDavid is at full health.

As for Playoffs success you do know that Edmonton lost to the eventual cup winners the last 2 playoffs
I’m curious to what you think a Mcdavid trade would look like?

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
Both teams spinning tires here just for the sake of making a deal. Teams dont win cups by trading away mcdavid types..in fact it hasn't happened in the modern NHL. Pittsburgh didn't win because jarg was traded. The closest examples would.be huberdeau/ MT, or Weber and PK. Didn't result in a cup for anyone. If I was Edmonton, the player I want is Jake ott..
They sure as sh!t aren't winning anything while keeping McDavid either.....

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Agreed, about the Oilers going after Oettinger. That was my suggestion (post from July 2022) when Oettinger was an RFA…
Absolutely. Would have been a fabulous fit , obviously Dallas isn't letting him go

They sure as sh!t aren't winning anything while keeping McDavid either.....
That may be also true, but these aren't the 1990 Oilers after they traded Wayne. They ain't going win without him. The need to find a way to put the pcs together before he bolts .

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
The insects are out from under the rotting trees I see.

Stars could offer their whole franchise for McDavid and it won't be enough.

Lol ok bud. Imagine how terrible Edmonton would be without an actual goalie like Otter and a Dman like Heiskanen.

Drai, Heiskanen and Otter would be a great core to build around, but Dallas would never make that trade

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
Absolutely. Would have been a fabulous fit , obviously Dallas isn't letting him go

That may be also true, but these aren't the 1990 Oilers after they traded Wayne. They ain't going win without him. The need to find a way to put the pcs together before he bolts .
"may be" (also) true... Unless you're ignoring reality, it's quantifiably true. They're currently trash with him and will likely be trash without him as well.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Nuge would want to be traded to a contender I would think. He would have a better chance to the the number 1 center and play with wingers like Pasta and Marchand.

If I am Edmonton though, I would want more assurance. Maybe a second round pick.
Bruins aren’t adding lol

Tavares91Stamkos91

Oct 2, 2013
Vancouver
Why? Slavins Defense is worth more than McDavid's offense, and he Hurricanes success the past 5 years kinds of proves that doesn't it?

Why? Slavins Defense is worth more than McDavids Offense. And our past success kind of proves that.

Past Success says different.
What has Slavin won exactly in the last 5 years?
Past success meaning what exactly?

Reactions: CaptainScrewy

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Too bad for the posters that are looking for a serious discussion.

Good luck having a serious discussion in any thread involving McDavid. If you don’t agree that he’s worth the entire core of a championship team all by himself then you get flamed by a fanbase that hasn’t seen a championship in their city since most of them were born.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Please put Calgary, Montreal, SJ, and TB offer on table for us comrade.

There would be no TB offer for McDavid. Their top pieces are more valuable and would not be on the table, they already have two legitimate 1Cs on the team and have no need for a third, and even if a collection of lesser pieces would get it done they aren’t about to gut their roster of its remaining depth when doing so won’t make the team better.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Lol ok bud. Imagine how terrible Edmonton would be without an actual goalie like Otter and a Dman like Heiskanen.

Drai, Heiskanen and Otter would be a great core to build around, but Dallas would never make that trade
If the Oilers offered McDavid.. Dallas would run naked through the rain dragging those 2 to the airport.

• Haha
Reactions: Kipper 17

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Would it be better if it was McDavid and Nurse for Slavin and Aho?

As a neutral fan that would be horrendous for Carolina.

First of all they’re taking in $21.75M in annual cap hit and sending back only $15.05M (assuming the trade happens in the summer), meaning they would have to further gut their roster just to make the cap work. To illustrate just how bad that would be, the only way to do it with a single player would be by replacing Svechnikov with a plug; more realistically they’d move multiple key complementary players and replace them with league minimum contracts, thereby killing their depth.

Second they’re giving up two quality players to get one quality player back along with one of the worst cap dumps in the league. Even if we ignore term the gap in value between McDavid and Aho is eclipsed by the gap between Slavin and Nurse.

And third the one quality piece they’re getting back has only a couple years of term remaining while the cap dump has another six years, meaning that after two seasons they’ll essentially have traded Aho and Slavin for Nurse.

This trade would instantly put the Hurricanes in the same place the Oilers are now: top heavy with no depth. And to make matters worse McDavid could walk in two years and leave the Canes with nothing. This trade if it happened (which it wouldn’t) would go down as one of the worst in NHL history.

Reactions: geehaad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad