Speculation: The All Encompassing Edmonton Oilers Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I think everyone needs to relax because if Dallas ever did acquire McDavid, then it would be likely on his final contract year and he's said he won't re-sign. There's no way the Oilers would expect to get Heiskanen or Robertson in return but it would likely be the 1st rounder and prospects and a roster player to replace McD. Probably 20 year old Wyatt Johnson, and or Dallas' 1st rounder or a prospect? The haul would depend on whether or not McD would sign long term in Dallas? And of course the Oilers and Stars would have to make the money side of things work especially if Dallas signed McD long term at say $15 mil/per? My 2 cents.
I can’t speak for all star fans but I would rather keep Johnston over Robertson. Heiskanen is a no go. Dallas cannot afford to lose him.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Dallas fans would be like Oiler fans...see a lot of pretty goals but never a Cup....

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I have been embarrassed by other Blues posters on this board fairly often but never has it risen to this level. This thread is something.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
This might be a crazy opinion, but I don't see why Carolina does this trade. They are trying to win now, and McDavid really isn't a playoff player with lack of back checking.

I would rather have the combo of Aho and Slavin for a playoff run.
Not for nothing, but we've already had several playoff runs with Aho and Slavin and it hasn't gotten us over the top.

I would support this trade. Game breaking elite scoring needed. Losing Slavin would hurt and we'd def have to also look for better goaltending, lol. I'm thinking we'd have to add though- like a 1st or a solid prospect.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Can't believe this idea got 10 pages long, or even has any resistance if it was an actual offer.

Oilers easily, and I mean easily hang up the phone. An wonder to themselves, " What the heck was that even?!? "

Terrible joke.

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
I love that EDM sucks - the McDavid trades are like signs of carrion birds waiting.

Time for EDM to roll the draft simulator for another 1st overall pick.

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
Oilers are falling and hard. There are serious flaws on the team. This is a trade for the ages and should actually help Oilers compete and also financially help the Stars(merchandise sale + more eyes on the team and sponsors) and grow the game quite a bit in Texas. Here it comes:

Stars get:

- McDavid 12.5M UFA 2026 (agrees to trade)

- Bouchard 3.9M RFA 2025

Oilers get

- Hintz 8.45M UFA 2031

- Heiskanen 8.45M UFA 2029

Stars get the best player in the game and a promising D. Oilers get a defensively sound 1C + a Top5-Top10 D, both on longterm contracts. Oilers lineup after trade:

Kane - Hintz - Hyman
McLeod - Draisaitl - Foegele
Holloway - RNH - Gagner
Lavoie - Hamblin - Ryan

Nurse - Heiskanen
Ekholm - Ceci
Kulak - Desharnais

Skinner
X

Who makes the trade?
When McDavid gets traded, you still expect Drai to play 2nd line center?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’m a homer as a Canes fan but honestly I wouldn’t trade Slavin and Aho for 97. Hrs obviously a better player by a good margin but I think the Canes are a better team as is.

I’d focus on Drai, though his next deal is likely as big as 97’s.

If they actually traded 97, I’d be shocked if they got players that good back. Tons of futures I’m sure but not two prime time players like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Discipline Daddy

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Both teams spinning tires here just for the sake of making a deal. Teams dont win cups by trading away mcdavid types..in fact it hasn't happened in the modern NHL. Pittsburgh didn't win because jarg was traded. The closest examples would.be huberdeau/ MT, or Weber and PK. Didn't result in a cup for anyone. If I was Edmonton, the player I want is Jake ott..

Agreed, about the Oilers going after Oettinger. That was my suggestion (post from July 2022) when Oettinger was an RFA…

If I’m Holland, I offer him $7.5 x 7 years

Anything lower and it’s an auto match from Dallas.

This give the Stars two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd.

I realize this is a huge gamble but seriously, enough is enough with the Oilers shitty goalie carousel.

Obviously assuming he takes the deal - does he want to play in Canada? Edmonton?

And the bigger elephant in the room… cap space… the offer comes with the contingency that both Keith and Smith retire/LTIR… which are both rumoured.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Oilers are falling and hard. There are serious flaws on the team. This is a trade for the ages and should actually help Oilers compete and also financially help the Stars(merchandise sale + more eyes on the team and sponsors) and grow the game quite a bit in Texas. Here it comes:

Stars get:

- McDavid 12.5M UFA 2026 (agrees to trade)

- Bouchard 3.9M RFA 2025

Oilers get

- Hintz 8.45M UFA 2031

- Heiskanen 8.45M UFA 2029

Stars get the best player in the game and a promising D. Oilers get a defensively sound 1C + a Top5-Top10 D, both on longterm contracts. Oilers lineup after trade:

Kane - Hintz - Hyman
McLeod - Draisaitl - Foegele
Holloway - RNH - Gagner
Lavoie - Hamblin - Ryan

Nurse - Heiskanen
Ekholm - Ceci
Kulak - Desharnais

Skinner
X

Who makes the trade?

The insects are out from under the rotting trees I see.

Stars could offer their whole franchise for McDavid and it won't be enough.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Boston Ullmark or Buffalo Ullmark?

He’s started 20 more games for Buffalo than Boston. One of the worst defensive teams and one of the best defensive teams during his time there. The results…

121-64-17 2.49 GAA and a .919 SV%. Since his rookie season in 2015 only 4 goaltenders have a better SV% and 9 a better GAA.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I'm not so sure if he would waive for anywhere. He wants to be in Edmonton.
Recent events may have changed that, if it ever was the case in the first place. And I’m not just talking about the last 12 games.

Also, the primary reason players get NMC worked into their contracts is to have control, not because they want to stay in one place. He’d waive for Boston.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nurse is good, just overpaid. Ekholm missed all of camp with an injury and hasn't gotten back to his usual standard yet. Trading Draisaitl in order to allot a full quarter of our cap space to left handed defencemen would be bad asset management. Not to mention that Frost is so deep in the doghouse that he might never get out.

I don't think Philly has the pieces to pull off a trade for Draisaitl that makes sense from our POV.
Nurse really isn’t good. His analytics consistently demonstrate a mediocre middle pair defender. He’s not even producing like a number 3. He’s a number 4. That’s the kind of hockey he’s producing over a large sample size. He’s probably overpaid by twice his actual value.

But agree this deal should be an easy no from oilers. And no way would Edmonton add a 1st. Drai, if he’s moved, needs to return a foundational type of asset. Ain’t one of those in this proposal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad