Speculation: The All Encompassing Edmonton Oilers Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Sometimes you can look at say--you know what--maybe the guys in front of the G know a thing or two about something

not often you see a tandem with the same save % numbers--There is no way Ullmark goes to a struggling team and puts up the same numbers
#NameGPMinGAGAAWLTENGSOSavesSvPct
1Jeremy Swayman7426121.69601012040.944
35Linus Ullmark7425162.26511002010.926

Oilers have allowed fewer high danger shots and fewer scoring chances than Boston. The post Bergeron Bruins defense is very different. They have very good in zone structure, but it’s been odd man rush mayhem and the goalies are killing it. And of course, as multiple people have pointed out, Ullmark did well in Buffalo in front of a tire fire, too.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Not sure if the 1st trade is going to be tweaked enough to need the second and third deals; but as a Canucks fan, I wouldn't want to include Raty for Lysel in deal 2. As exciting a young player as Lysel is, we need the Raty type more than the small winger at this point. I would consider Bleuger (who I really like) for Mcleod, due to Mcleod being younger etc., but the Canucks couldn't take on the extra 200k in salary as we are so tight to cap. There would have to be an adjustment to make it dollar out for dollar in.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
It's actually not an awful over... to be clear.. f*** NO... but it gets us a great D and a great goalie and that's exactly what we need.

You'll get shit on but you were actually more reasonable than the other dozen posts offering Sturgeon for Drai, Ullmark for Drai and McDavid for Huberdeau.

And you hate us and gave a reasonable offer. Kudos.

NO
You and the guy constantly posting that I said Spurgeon = Drai need to actually read my posts, at no point did I explicitly say that. I know I typed a lot, but it was so my thoughts were not to be misconstrued as they continuously were then, and remain to be here.

Unless you are Bill Guerin himself, the odds of you knowing more about the nuances of the Wild than me are infinitesimally low. I said it was extremely unlikely to happen, I said it was only the base of what I would offer if Holland came calling to me, as was the premise of the only two topics that I posted in prior to this one.

Edited to remove some aggressiveness, I wasn’t trying to stir or cause trouble, just provide insight into what the Wild could feasibly do. I respect many posters here, but have received multiple personal attacks, I will continue to address them more privately I suppose.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Oilers have allowed fewer high danger shots and fewer scoring chances than Boston. The post Bergeron Bruins defense is very different. They have very good in zone structure, but it’s been odd man rush mayhem and the goalies are killing it. And of course, as multiple people have pointed out, Ullmark did well in Buffalo in front of a tire fire, too.
this is subjective on who is making the decision as to just what is a high danger shot and a legit scoring chance. Not all shots on goal are a like

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
lol at your weak ego and easily hurt feelings. I clearly touched a nerve. Next time, if you don't want to be made fun of, don't lead with "marketing and selling tickets". Grow up and get some therapy.

. Thats being nice here sparkles ✨️. Your logic is weak, your attempt is pathetic,, your hockey IQ is well......LOL....cough cough 😑...althoughi never minded helpijg the less fortunate, .your next hockey lesson won' free. Back to tree hosue with ya. Oilers will not trade mcdavid , you will continue to be pretender and the hockey world will move on!!!

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
No, they just understand how the salary cap works.

In a non-cap world you’d at least have a chance of being right, though even then team positional need is a valid factor that must be taken into account. I surely don’t need to tell Oilers fans what a lack of defense does to a team’s winning chances even with McDavid in the lineup.

But with the salary cap you also have to look at what Carolina would need to do to fit McDavid in under the cap. There’s a $7.2M gap between McDavid’s and Slavin’s cap hits; Carolina currently has about $2M of full-season cap space available. So they’d need to cut another $5.2M to make the cap work.

To give an idea of just how huge an impact that is, for them to do that with a single player would require replacing Svechnikov or Orlov with a plug. More likely they spread the pain around by moving a couple moderately-priced complementary players and replacing them with prospects. Either way though, Carolina’s depth suffers in a big way beyond the loss of Slavin alone.

So no, in a cap world there’s no such thing as Slavin straight-up for McDavid - not unless Edmonton is going to retain 50% to make their cap hits at least close to comparable (which obviously isn’t happening.) Otherwise any hypothetical straight-up trade involving McDavid that doesn’t have a Matthews or a Marner going back the other way is going to have a significant negative cap impact on the other team, which in turn lowers the attractiveness of the idea for that team. So Slavin at $5.3M could well be preferable to McDavid at $12.5M given what else Carolina would have to give up to resolve the cap imbalance.
Any decent GM who has an opportunity to acquire Connor McDavid and only give up Jaccob Slavin is going to figure out a way to make it work within the confines of the salary cap. McDavid is significantly better than Slavin and anything else the Hurricanes would need to give up for cap reasons.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
You and the guy constantly posting that I said Spurgeon = Drai need to actually read my posts, at no point did I explicitly say that. I know I typed a lot, but it was so my thoughts were not to be misconstrued as they continuously were then, and remain to be here. Quote my posts if you want to complain about me in other topics, I wish you would keep it contained within the topic I posted, but at least that way I dont discover it by receiving laughing DMs from your little Oiler board minions. Don't put words in my mouth and spread them around like I said them, I have already had to deal with multiple triggered people spamming my entire post history over this meaningless shit.

Unless you are Bill Guerin himself, the odds of you knowing more about the nuances of the Wild than me are infinitesimally low. I said it was extremely unlikely to happen, I said it was only the base of what I would offer if Holland came calling to me, as was the premise of the only two topics that I posted in prior to this one. You could have left it alone within the confines of those threads where it was exactly on topic, and yet you continue to bring it and thus me into further conflict for a team I do not care at all to problem solve.
If people are DMing you then report them. Sorry that is happening. I can assure you that I have nothing to do with that and they are not my 'oiler board minions' since I don't post on the Oiler board.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Haven't been following the Oilers close enough this season to have a read on this, but:

Is Nurse palatable as a $6m 2nd-pairing defenseman if he comes with a big incentive? Like a 1st round pick. Because the Oilers' best bet might be to retain long and give up a pick to at least clear ~$6m of his money. It's not a great solution, but they've made a mess for themselves and need to get out of it.

He sure as hell isn't a $9.25m 1D, that's been known. But if you can make the situation untenable for him, perhaps he'd waive his NMC and go to a team that would gladly take a 2nd pairing defenseman making 2nd pairing money, especially if it comes with a high pick. Does he want to be hated and miserable in the Edmonton shitshow, or making the same money with less pressure somewhere else?

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
. Thats being nice here sparkles ✨️. Your logic is weak, your attempt is pathetic,, your hockey IQ is well......LOL....cough cough 😑...althoughi never minded helpijg the less fortunate, .your next hockey lesson won' free. Back to tree hosue with ya. Oilers will not trade mcdavid , you will continue to be pretender and the hockey world will move on!!!
Your English is barely legible - I can't even be offended because you can't spell or type.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What’s the market value of a Campbell dump? A 1st?
The Oilers using futures to dump Campbell makes no sense in the long-term. His buyout is actually quite palatable. And the cost of dumping him, plus the cost of acquiring someone who you'd be certain wouldn't struggle in the same situation is quite prohibitive.

If the Oilers are going to make a big splash at some point--and likely that's an upgrade on Cody Ceci-- you probably see them mess with LTI.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Your English is barely legible - I can't even be offended because you can't spell or type.
Yet still your hockey IQ lacks common sense and logic...nobody is offended by you, how could they be . Your only hockey knowledge is based off playing x box with your great aunt Bertha in the double wide 😉... schools out son

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The Oilers using futures to dump Campbell makes no sense in the long-term. His buyout is actually quite palatable. And the cost of dumping him, plus the cost of acquiring someone who you'd be certain wouldn't struggle in the same situation is quite prohibitive.

If the Oilers are going to make a big splash at some point--and likely that's an upgrade on Cody Ceci-- you probably see them mess with LTI.
Arizona has two goalies that are equally capable. So much so that they’re alternating games. Truly taking turns. All season. No riding the hot hand. Not evaluating perform against certain teams. Just 50/50.

That’s a luxury and a nice one. But it’s not sustainable beyond a season or two. They’ll need contracts and clarity before too long. So I do wonder how Arizona plans to eventually resolve this.

Meantime, Arizona has shown a willingness, even a zeal, for taking on bad contracts for assets. My thought was this could be an opportunity for Edmonton to kill two birds with one stone, without having dead cap from a buyout.

My thought was something like a future 1st (2026) for Vejmelka and a 3rd (maybe Edmonton’s own from the Kassian dump). And then also a 1st (maybe 2024) for Campbell. Edmonton simultaneously fixes their goaltending issue, gets out of the Campbell contract, and frees up cap space all in one transaction.

Reactions: GOilers88

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Haven't been following the Oilers close enough this season to have a read on this, but:

Is Nurse palatable as a $6m 2nd-pairing defenseman if he comes with a big incentive? Like a 1st round pick. Because the Oilers' best bet might be to retain long and give up a pick to at least clear ~$6m of his money. It's not a great solution, but they've made a mess for themselves and need to get out of it.

He sure as hell isn't a $9.25m 1D, that's been known. But if you can make the situation untenable for him, perhaps he'd waive his NMC and go to a team that would gladly take a 2nd pairing defenseman making 2nd pairing money, especially if it comes with a high pick. Does he want to be hated and miserable in the Edmonton shitshow, or making the same money with less pressure somewhere else?
You do realize that if Edmonton was to retain 3 million on Nurse, and found a second pairing guy that makes 6.5 million to replace him, they'd effectively be paying Nurses replacement 9.5 million? Why would they give up an asset to rid themselves of Nurse, and then spend more assets to end up in the exact same place?

And a better question, why would Nurse at 6m require a big incentive for a team to take on? Do you really feel that he has negative value at 6 or 6.5 million per year?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

This narrative that the Oilers are actually pretty solid defensively by looking at HDSC, does not match the eye test and quite frankly highlights the limitations and subjectivity about what constitutes a "HDSC" vs what is "an impossible save to make". Not all HDSC are equal.

The Oilers have been *almost perfect with limiting HDSC, until they literally blow a tire and hang their goalies out to dry. It really is unfair that Campbell and Skinner are taking all the blame here when we know it is a team issue. I'm not saying they are good goalies... I'm saying until the Oilers can remove the catastrophic errors, no goalie is going to save them.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

As @Frank Drebin mentioned... Nurse is a solid value at $6M... heck I'd argue he's still fairly paid up to $7M. The guy has great underlying numbers and a few tragic flaws. Those tragic flaws can be masked if you gave him a $3-4M stay-at-home partner, which the Oilers don't have.

Trading Nurse with $3M retained, just to replace him with a $6M guy... you'd end up worse off. Where are you going to get a $6M guy who is better than Nurse? Not as a UFA, that's for sure. That means trade... so in your scenario, we trade off Nurse with a 1st for ... nothing? Retain $3M and then go out and spend assets on a replacement?

This makes zero sense.

Reactions: spaghtti

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad