GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft, June 28 - 29, 2023

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Here it is: The 2023 NHL Draft GDT.

Our list of picks is for reference below. I will update the OP if we make any deals with some of these picks throughout the day.

Will also try to update the OP as picks are made, and link to each prospect's discussion thread.

RoundPick#OAConditionsPick Made/Disposition
1stDET9N/A9OA: Nate Danielson
1stNYI17From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka
2ndDET41
2ndSTL42From St. Louis (21 Mar 2022). Leddy Trade
2ndVan43From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.
3rdDET73
4thMIN117From Minnesota (3 Mar 2023). Sundqvist Trade.
5thDET137
6thDET169
7thDET201

Last edited:
Some of you guys are putting lots of effort in this, impressive. I got a question about Leonard. Love his game, love everything I saw on YouTube. He dominates his peers physically. But am I the only one who’s concerned about a power forward at 5‘11? Just like Bert I think that style of play has a shelf life. I would like him bigger, if he’s to deploy rough house tactics against men. Am I off here? Dreaming about Michkov and hoping for Benson.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Barry Amsterdam

Fillin Nets Since 18
Apr 2, 2013
Some of you guys are putting lots of effort in this, impressive. I got a question about Leonard. Love his game, love everything I saw on YouTube. He dominates his peers physically. But am I the only one who’s concerned about a power forward at 5‘11? Just like Bert I think that style of play has a shelf life. I would like him bigger at with, if he’s to deploy rough house tactics against men. Am I off here? Dreaming about Michkov and hoping for Benson.
people may disagree but Leonard is a high octane better skating TJ Oshie. oshie isn’t the biggest guy but he can more than stand his own.

Reactions: Winged Wheel Willy

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Some of you guys are putting lots of effort in this, impressive. I got a question about Leonard. Love his game, love everything I saw on YouTube. He dominates his peers physically. But am I the only one who’s concerned about a power forward at 5‘11? Just like Bert I think that style of play has a shelf life. I would like him bigger at with, if he’s to deploy rough house tactics against men. Am I off here? Dreaming about Michkov and hoping for Benson.

I agree with you, I am a fan of Leonard’s game but I share your concern about how his play style translates up to the NHL level with his frame. Strong kid, but NHL strength is a different beast.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Ok, here is my definitive ranking of players that I was able to watch a 4 minute youtube video on:
NameRating
1​
Connor Bedard (C)9.75
2​
Adam Fantilli (C)9.25
3​
Leo Carlsson (C/W)9.25
4​
Will Smith (C)8.75
5​
Matvei Michkov (RW)8.50
6​
Zach Benson (F)8.50
7​
Oliver Moore (C)8.25
8​
Dmitri Simashev (D)8.00
9​
Daniil But (LW)8.00
10​
Dalibor Dvorský (C/RW)7.75
11​
Gabe Perreault (RW)7.75
12​
Ryan Leonard (C)7.50
13​
Tom Willander (D)7.50
14​
Colby Barlow (LW)7.49
15​
David Reinbacher (D)7.25
16​
Matthew Wood (LW/C)7.25
17​
Quentin Musty (LW)7.25
18​
Andrew Cristall (LW)7.00
19​
Axel Sandin Pellikka (D)6.75
20​
Otto Stenberg (C/W)6.50
21​
Nate Danielson (C)5.75
22​
Samuel Honzek (C)5.50
23​
Brayden Yager (C)5.00
24​
Calum Ritchie (C)5.00

So I'm hoping for Benson/Moore at 9 and But/Simashev at 17

Ok, here is my definitive ranking of players that I was able to watch a 4 minute youtube video on:
NameRating
1​
Connor Bedard (C)9.75
2​
Adam Fantilli (C)9.25
3​
Leo Carlsson (C/W)9.25
4​
Will Smith (C)8.75
5​
Matvei Michkov (RW)8.50
6​
Zach Benson (F)8.50
7​
Oliver Moore (C)8.25
8​
Dmitri Simashev (D)8.00
9​
Daniil But (LW)8.00
10​
Dalibor Dvorský (C/RW)7.75
11​
Gabe Perreault (RW)7.75
12​
Ryan Leonard (C)7.50
13​
Tom Willander (D)7.50
14​
Colby Barlow (LW)7.49
15​
David Reinbacher (D)7.25
16​
Matthew Wood (LW/C)7.25
17​
Quentin Musty (LW)7.25
18​
Andrew Cristall (LW)7.00
19​
Axel Sandin Pellikka (D)6.75
20​
Otto Stenberg (C/W)6.50
21​
Nate Danielson (C)5.75
22​
Samuel Honzek (C)5.50
23​
Brayden Yager (C)5.00
24​
Calum Ritchie (C)5.00

So I'm hoping for Benson/Moore at 9 and But/Simashev at 17
Interesting. What do you see in Simashev and But? We know it’s probably not gon happen but what would be your pain threshold for moving up to 5/6, if Michkov is still there?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Interesting. What do you see in Simashev and But? We know it’s probably not gon happen but what would be your pain threshold for moving up to 5/6, if Michkov is still there?
Simashev: Good edgework. Physical. Smart defensively. Patient. Creative

But: Comp is Soderblom or Tage Thompson in a dreamworld. Huge body with great hands and shot. Already very Good skating. Uses body to protect puck

I guess kind of interesting, I don't totally love what I see out of Michkov to the levels of hype he's got. But I also haven't looked that closely and am ok with trusting other people and assuming I'm wrong. But, I'm not interested in trading up for him

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Barry Amsterdam

Fillin Nets Since 18
Apr 2, 2013

But: Comp is Soderblom or Tage Thompson in a dreamworld. Huge body with great hands and shot. Already very Good skating. Uses body to protect puck

I guess kind of interesting, I don't totally love what I see out of Michkov to the levels of hype he's got. But I also haven't looked that closely and am ok with trusting other people and assuming I'm wrong. But, I'm not interested in trading up for him
i’d give up anyone not named seider. and multiple of them to get michkov

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Right there with you on the Simashev love. Just don't think there's any chance he goes in the top 10. Any other year, he'd be a top 5 pick.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

But is miles ahead of Soderblom as a draft eligible.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
In Yzerman I trust! He can snatch up a player projected to go 200th overall with the 9th pick and I'll praise him immediately and proclaim that kid as the "steal of the draft" before the ink dries.

I'm holding you to this

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
No he doesn't. He has the Wings taking Matthew Wood at 9.

He says that there is a mini tier starting at 9 of Wood, Danielson, and Willander. Said he's heard Danielson and Willander to Detroit, the most noise recently about Willander, but noted that Detroit often keeps things locked up tight. Also said he's heard Honzek and Perreault linked to Detroit.

I think his pick is driven off of his perceived skillset fit that is Wood, not that it's the most likely as he notes that Detroit might lean in a different direction due to Wood not being a true "compete type" that the Wings have been linked to previously.

I was going off this. Corey Pronman mock draft The Atletic

I guess it changed since yesterday.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I hate that I agree^^

9+17+Kasper+Edvinsson? Too much pain yet?^^
If we're going full ceiling for Michkov, let's do the same for our assets.

Let's pretend that's Chicago trading Toews, Seabrook and the picks that became Couture and Shattenkirk for the pick that becomes Kane. And Kane doesn't step into the league until at least 2011. Did Chicago win that?

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Got way too much money on Carlsson going #3. Starting to get nervous...

If we're going full ceiling for Michkov, let's do the same for our assets.

Let's pretend that's Chicago trading Toews, Seabrook and the picks that became Couture and Shattenkirk for the pick that becomes Kane. And Kane doesn't step into the league until at least 2011. Did Chicago win that?
I think Michkov‘s ceiling is higher than Kane‘s. I believe he’s a perennial 110+ point player. So to me it’s all about „above replacement level“. I don’t believe that trade is good value in a vacuum. But in real life we have other prospects coming plus you can find players like Seabrook and Toews, Shattenkirk easier elsewhere. Via draft or trade. Players like Michkov won’t come available at pick 9 or later. But your point is well taken. I wouldn’t do the trade btw. :) but 9+17+Edvinsson I would.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think Michkov‘s ceiling is higher than Kane‘s. I believe he’s a perennial 110+ point player. So to me it’s all about „above replacement level“. I don’t believe that trade is good value in a vacuum. But in real life we have other prospects coming plus you can find players like Seabrook and Toews, Shattenkirk easier elsewhere. Via draft or trade. Players like Michkov won’t come available at pick 9 or later. But your point is well taken.
Kane would be a perennial 110+ player in a higher scoring era. He has 7 top 10 finishes including a scoring title and a 110pt season.

Kane would be a perennial 110+ player in a higher scoring era. He has 7 top 10 finishes including a scoring title and a 110pt season.
Had to check if my memory is correct: Kane had 2 100pt seasons and had 110 on the dot once. Most years he was pretty much a ppg player. I get the different eras. But I wrote 110+ Every year. If he hits then I believe we’re talking Draisaitl levels of production. I think that eclipses Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad