GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft, June 28 - 29, 2023

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Here it is: The 2023 NHL Draft GDT.

Our list of picks is for reference below. I will update the OP if we make any deals with some of these picks throughout the day.

Will also try to update the OP as picks are made, and link to each prospect's discussion thread.

RoundPick#OAConditionsPick Made/Disposition
1stDET9N/A9OA: Nate Danielson
1stNYI17From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka
2ndDET41
2ndSTL42From St. Louis (21 Mar 2022). Leddy Trade
2ndVan43From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.
3rdDET73
4thMIN117From Minnesota (3 Mar 2023). Sundqvist Trade.
5thDET137
6thDET169
7thDET201

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Prepare for anything, don't be disapppointed for anybody. There is so much variance in NHL drafting that we can't even understand.

Be curious who we will select. Why did this happen if it's something surprising. Easier to live that way. :)
Honestly, after the Edvinsson draft, all I have been doing is being completely open minded on who we get. The Seider one perplexed me a bit, I was jaded cuz of the lottery when we got raymond (i really really really wanted stutzle), ed draft I thought it was a really good pick (by now, seider and raymond have overly impressed), was open when we got Kasper even though I wanted Frank Nazar (who was available and CHI got...he also looked very good at michigan, but that's neither here nor there).

So, now, I would love certain players but whoever we choose, I have finally understood that trusting the Yzerplan is the right way to go because he is building something special here it seems.

With all that being said, if Benson, Dvorsky, or Leonard are available at 9 and we choose none of them...I riot. I don't even care if it is by myself....lmao

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Pronman has Wings taking Gabe Perreault with the 9th.

He had wood this morning.

And had the wings taking Matthew Wood in his mock draft on the athletic this morning

I forget where I heard it, but Danielson is more well liked by NHL teams than the internet scouts. I hope he falls to us at 17 but I think he's gone by no later than 12.

I've mentioned that a lot. It came from the Athletic. Theres going to be a team that doesnt let a big, rugged, WHL center, who had 78 points in 68 games and led his team in scoring as a draft eligible slip all the way to 17.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I'm going to say, we keep both firsts tonight and come away with Ryan Leonard and Nate Danielson. Best case scenario for me!

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I've mentioned that a lot. It came from the Athletic. Theres going to be a team that doesnt let a big, rugged, WHL center, who had 78 points in 68 games and led his team in scoring as a draft eligible slip all the way to 17.

I've been on the Danielson train for a bit as well. I hope that the Wings are able to trade for pick #11 or #12 if Danielson somehow available. I really think he goes between 7 and 12. Considering who Philly's coach is, if Leonard isn't there at #7 then Danielson or Reinbacher are my next best guesses there.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
These quotes from the Black Book are concerning to me, but it's hard to say whether there's a ton of truth to it or if they just happened to find the scouts that weren't going to be a fan of Moore's to begin with.

“He plays keep away from his own linemates.” - NHL Scout, January 2023

“He’s winger. He plays the game by himself and cannot play down the middle in the NHL.” - NHL
Scout, February 2023

“The Brad Lambert of 2023? Best skater in the draft but terrible hockey sense ” HP Scout Jérôme
Bérubé, March 2023

“I laughed when I saw the Erie kid on his line at the U18. They put the two guys with no hockey
sense on the same line and neither want to pass the puck.” - NHL Scout, May 2023

“Everyone was telling me all year that he’s great but hasn’t played with good players…then he gets the two young kids who are super talented…flash forward to the U18 and the young kids are off his line and they give him two grinders. My take is nobody wants to play with him.” - NHL Scout, May 2023

Interesting, thanks for posting that. Pretty strong statements. Moore certainly seems to be one of the more polarizing prospects in this draft.

What I think is being conflated in some of these discussions, however, is hockey IQ vs hockey sense. Many people use those interchangeably, but they are distinct from one another.

Hockey IQ is closer to a more academic understanding of hockey. Knowing what to do in certain situations, knowing your position and the other players' positions, knowing systems, knowing strategy, etc. In practice, new drills often come easier to skaters with good hockey IQ. They're also the guys coaches more often trust in a lot of key game situations.

Hockey sense is more instinctual, and is synonymous with what I often describe as processing speed. Is the brain anticipating the play and making the necessary calculations? Is the brain able to keep up with the speed of the game? With the speed of the body it's riding in? Gretzky was super skilled, but he also had off-the-charts hockey sense that allowed him to be a couple moves ahead of most other players.

The feeling I have with Moore now is that he's got very good hockey IQ, based on the accounts I've read, but there are maybe some legit questions about his hockey sense. That is indeed a red flag that would concern me. In fact, I think everything with Moore probably hinges on that, and is why his range of outcomes is considered wider than most prospects projected in the 1st round.

Stop! Jaster is getting lightheaded from the redirected blood flow.
Nah. I don't invest myself in pre-draft prospects, I don't get attached to them. Give me new information and I'm happy to change my opinion on them.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Here it is: The 2023 NHL Draft GDT.

Our list of picks is for reference below. I will update the OP if we make any deals with some of these picks throughout the day.

Will also try to update the OP as picks are made, and link to each prospect's discussion thread.

RoundPick#OAConditionsPick Made/Disposition
1stDET9N/A
1stNYI17From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.
2ndDET41
2ndSTL42From St. Louis (21 Mar 2022). Leddy Trade
2ndVan43From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.
3rdDET73
4thMIN117From Minnesota (3 Mar 2023). Sundqvist Trade.
5thDET137
6thDET169
7thDET201
You can try , hope hf not crush

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
No he doesn't. He has the Wings taking Matthew Wood at 9.

He says that there is a mini tier starting at 9 of Wood, Danielson, and Willander. Said he's heard Danielson and Willander to Detroit, the most noise recently about Willander, but noted that Detroit often keeps things locked up tight. Also said he's heard Honzek and Perreault linked to Detroit.

I think his pick is driven off of his perceived skillset fit that is Wood, not that it's the most likely as he notes that Detroit might lean in a different direction due to Wood not being a true "compete type" that the Wings have been linked to previously.
So he thinks it’s Wood.
But he is linking us to Willander and Danielson.
But is also hearing Perrault or Honzek.

Yeah this guy really has a finger on the pulse. Amateur hour.

Reactions: Realgud

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011

Agreed. Think that Danielson is extremely underrated on this particular board.

Man, there's a lot of good players in this draft.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If we are ever going to compete we need a strong bottom 6 and Colton would have fit into that perfectly especially for that low price that Colorado paid.

Yep...

No idea how Yzerman didn't top the offer. I'm confused as to what he is doing to improve the team to be honest.

Reactions: Go Wings

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Agreed. Think that Danielson is extremely underrated on this particular board.

Man, there's a lot of good players in this draft.
I think Danielson is pretty comparable to Kasper last year at draft time and 90% of this board loved thatpick at 8. This draft is better so I guess I can see why people wouldnt want him at 9, but honestly I wouldnt hate it. I have a couple other guys I prefer, but Danielson does everything you win in the NHL with. SO does Kasper and so does Larkin. So having that punch potentially down the middle would be nice.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
I think Danielson is pretty comparable to Kasper last year at draft time and 90% of this board loved thatpick at 8. This draft is better so I guess I can see why people wouldnt want him at 9, but honestly I wouldnt hate it. I have a couple other guys I prefer, but Danielson does everything you win in the NHL with. SO does Kasper and so does Larkin. So having that punch potentially down the middle would be nice.

There's Ryan Leonard too. I have this vision in my mind of him and Kasper on the same line running guys on the other team every shift and chipping in with some offense too. Again, I don't expect Leonard to be there at 9, but I'm free to dream.

Reactions: jkutswings

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If i had to guess, Honzek is a Red Wing today.

Don't love it, definitely get Mantha vibes from him.
At 17? Give me Mantha every single day.

Hes fallen off now and had his injury issues but a healthy Mantha at 17 is a great pick

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So he thinks it’s Wood.
But he is linking us to Willander and Danielson.
But is also hearing Perrault or Honzek.

Yeah this guy really has a finger on the pulse. Amateur hour.

He speculates names that he’s heard linked and makes a guess. He had the best mock of anyone last year, and that largely would be 95% wrong. So don’t read into it as gospel, but understand that he is seemingly more connected than anyone else.

drw13

Sep 29, 2013
At 9.

Not a source that would be called legitimate here, but a good enough source for me that I think people should see it as a real possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad