OT: The 2023 Holiday Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
This could be fun.....
Worst Christmas gift you ever got ?

My wife's family drew names with a $100 limit.
My mother in law, who would have preferred my married any other male alive, got my name of course.

She went to some place cheap and got me a set of plastic curves for tracing to do woodworking. They cost $10.

Everyone kept waiting for the next gift for me..... that was it

I genuinely treasure any gifts I've gotten because I'm sentimental lol

But one year my late uncle gave me slightly defected sneakers from the shoe plant he worked at. They couldn't sell them because of the slight defect. It was pretty funny in retrospect because I was like 10. So I didn't quite understand why I was given them. But I appreciated them.

I wish I had them now.

Reactions: GordonHowe

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
This could be fun.....

My mother in law, who would have preferred my married any other male alive, got my name of course.

She went to some place cheap and got me a set of plastic curves for tracing to do woodworking. They cost $10.

Yowza, the epitome of el-cheapo! I've regifted a few over the years, but nothing that extreme.

Kinda of a funny story though - about 15 years ago in the heart of the housing market crisis, we decided to scale back the annual office gift exchange to a max of $10, just to have some fun with it. Of course I get the name of this 102 pound woman everyone despised, so I decided to gift her a case of 4 windshield washer jugs. It was hilarious watching her make 4 trips up and down the stairs bringing them to her car at day's end...but she did end up getting what could have been the most practical winter gift. HO.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
With all the packages being stolen all over, I've been so diligent on watching the ring camera and paying attention to delivery times.

I did not realize some places just deliver the item without it BEING in a box. I got my mom an air fryer and she almost saw it. I've never jumped out the front door in a towel because I just got out of the shower so fast in my life.

20231216_152555.jpg

Had to hide it in a trash bag. Nice touch on the bow at least lol

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Tentative Christmas breakfast plan.....hopefully pdf files work here

The scones need more orange flavor so adding zest or orange extract

Attachments

• bacon cheese pomegranate pastry wreath.pdf
    987.2 KB · Views: 3
  • biscuit and gravy casserole.pdf
    769 KB · Views: 1
  • cranberry scones with orange glaze.pdf
    532.8 KB · Views: 2
  • french toast casserole.pdf
    656 KB · Views: 2
  • yogurt parfait.pdf
    627.9 KB · Views: 3

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This could be fun.....

My mother in law, who would have preferred my wife married any other male alive, got my name of course.

I think I was 15 or so and my dad bought me a set of weights, not on my wish list, used them for about a month, my dad used them for the next few decades

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
This could be fun.....

My mother in law, who would have preferred my wife married any other male alive, got my name of course.

We had moved into our first house and there was a space for a dishwasher but we couldn't afford one right away. My parents started saying they had got me something that I would absolutely love. When they arrived from Montreal, they came in and said that I would have to go outside to see the gift because it was too big to wrap and bring in right away. I was so excited, opened the trunk....it was a sewing machine.....just know, I am the absolutely worst sewer on the planet and my mother knew this, she finished all my school projects.....it was such a massive disappointment....lol

This was over 30 years ago and I still haven't used it.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
This could be fun.....

Wall papering tools.

I f***ing hate to wallpaper.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
So somewhere in my youth..
Or childhood
I must have done something...good.

20231217_220235.jpg

20231217_220357.jpg

One of my favorite Christmas traditions is watching The Sound of Music. I used to watch it with my late grandmother for as long as I can remember. I've kept up the tradition of watching ever since she passed in 2013.

Makes me miss her even more, but I cant wait to pass this tradition down to my future childhood, God willing.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
OMG. I need names.

Who is responsible for this masterpiece.?
I just discovered that tonight, thanks to a comment in the original video

Actually I would love to hear the whole "serious" version, the clips he played were beautiful.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Wall papering tools.

I f***ing hate to wallpaper.

See, I'd rather wallpaper the Sistine Chapel than paint one baseboard. My wallpapering skills are super, my painting skills, not so much. As my Dad once told me, "When you paint, you don't leave holidays, you leave vacations."

• Haha
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad