OT: The 2023 Holiday Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
No thanks to wallpaper. I don't enjoy painting, but I'm pretty decent at it and I do enjoy the pride of stepping back at the end to admire my work. Painted every well, baseboard, and ceiling on the 2nd floor of my house, replaced every light, outlet and switch, and replaced every door with solid wood that I stained.

What a difference. It almost looks like a livable space now

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
FB_IMG_1703101438533.jpg

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
So somewhere in my youth..
Or childhood
I must have done something...good.

View attachment 785524
View attachment 785525

One of my favorite Christmas traditions is watching The Sound of Music. I used to watch it with my late grandmother for as long as I can remember. I've kept up the tradition of watching ever since she passed in 2013.

Makes me miss her even more, but I cant wait to pass this tradition down to my future childhood, God willing.

I watched it the other night after not watching it for several years. A great movie. Julie Andrews had a lovely voice, a shame she lost it because of a botched vocal cord surgery.

Reactions: Mione134

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
We're going to celebrate Christmas as we have the past few years: go out to dinner Christmas Eve, then home to open Christmas gifts. Christmas Day we'll get together to open our stockings. We're going to do a buffet this year, I'm going to do a small turkey w/stuffing and my sister is going to do a spiral ham & beans. Niece & I are going to make toll house cookies Friday or Saturday night.

I really, really miss Christmas at my parents'. After coming home from dinner & opening some gifts we'd have open house for friends & neighbors. It was always a lot of fun. Sadly just about everyone is gone now.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Somebody got a hold of pictures from my grandmother's house in the 1970's :laugh:

Seriously...I don't know how my grandfather afforded all the stuff she bought everyone for Christmas lol

FB_IMG_1703023208784.jpg

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I will celebrate Lord Jesus and what He has done for us. Other than that, my Christmas comes when I see my sister and hear from the other relatives I have left. They all seem well, and I am glad about that. (My maternal uncle was even more generous with gifts than usual this year.) I see my sister and brother-in-law in mid-January. (They visit and entertain lots of people during the holidays.)

As for paint versus wall paper, I have some physical limitations that make papering impossible. Painting is limited as well, but I can do some interior work, so, definitely painting. My father worked in construction and carpentry most of his life after hockey, and I saw him do it all. Wallpapering sucks lol

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Started doing some holiday baking. I made alfajores for the work potluck because I gave some as gifts last year and everyone demanded more. I basically use work as a guinea pig for the first practice batch of stuff then perfect the recipes for what I give to family on Christmas itself.

I'm also attempting to copy the panera christmas crinkle cookies that they used to make years ago around chirstmastime and I haven't been able to find since, so I found a recipe for crinkle cookies and mixed some peppermint extract into the batter. The batter is chilling overnight, tomorrow night I'll roll them in powdered sugar and bake. I'm going to give some as gifts but I'm mostly making them for me to enjoy.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Started doing some holiday baking. I made alfajores for the work potluck because I gave some as gifts last year and everyone demanded more. I basically use work as a guinea pig for the first practice batch of stuff then perfect the recipes for what I give to family on Christmas itself.

I'm also attempting to copy the panera christmas crinkle cookies that they used to make years ago around chirstmastime and I haven't been able to find since, so I found a recipe for crinkle cookies and mixed some peppermint extract into the batter. The batter is chilling overnight, tomorrow night I'll roll them in powdered sugar and bake. I'm going to give some as gifts but I'm mostly making them for me to enjoy.
I had to look those up, I had never heard of them. They look delicious. I had a co-worker many years ago whose parents came from Italy and his Mom made delicious fig cookies for us all one year. They were so good and I managed to get his Mom to make them every year he worked there and bring some to me. They looked something like this, but I wouldn't even attempt to make them with my impatience. I bake dozens of other cookies and share with family and friends.
1703154350057.jpeg

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My 44-year-old daughter has her traditions. Every Christmas Eve we watch Christmas Eve on Sesame,
Emmet Otter's Jug band Christmas and White Christmas.
1703164020732.png

1703164098490.png

"If you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings"

"The best things happen while you're dancing...."

1703164176334.png

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Holiday survival guide from a man who certainly does not have things all figured out.

1. For all of your anxieties, things will never be as miserable or scary as you’ve made them out to be in your head.

2. You can’t change other people, their behaviors, and their issues.

3. You can choose to love others for who they are, or you can be angry and distance yourself from them. But in cutting them out of your life, you’re not proving anything to them.

4. You don’t owe it to anyone else to subject yourself to an abusive situation. You can love someone and choose not to spend time with that person because of the way they behave and make you feel. Guilt tripping and manipulation seem to run high this time of the year.

5. Drugs and alcohol might “take the edge off”, but your anxiety and hurt feelings will still be there.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Found out sister tested positive for rona last Saturday (she just told us today), so obviously none of our family members feel comfortable getting together. She literally only had a stuffy nose. Crazy. Her doctor said as long as she has no more symptoms and tests negative she should be good to go next week. None of her kids are sick or her husband. So...fingers crossed everything works out for next week.

I had a feels this was going to happen. All month long I said to my mother that "something is going to happen, someone is going to get sick". And I was right. I'm sad. I'm depressed. I just knew it.

My late grandmother's birthday is this Sunday. We lost her in 2013. And this time of the year always gets to me. Thinking about not spending Christmas with my extended family on Christmas...really is a blow. But I guess it could be worse.

Fingers crossed everything works out for next week to celebrate Christmas.

This is what it's all about anyways.
Screenshot_20231222_212642_Gallery.jpg

One of my blowup outside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad